The Commander of The Founders...

By LucienWinnx4

Time is running out. The human race only has six months left to live. Commander of the Founders: The Race Aga... More

Book Cover
Chapter One: Echoes
Chapter Three: Radiation
Chapter Four: A Lie Guarded
Chapter Five: The Tinder Box
Chapter Six: We Will Rise
Chapter Seven: Gimme Shelter
Chapter Eight: God Complex
Chapter Nine: The Bond of the Unify Partners
Chapter Ten: Heir to Lorelei Kom Cavikru
Chapter Eleven: The Other Side
Chapter Twelve: The Chosen
Chapter Thirteen: Praimfaya

Chapter Two: Dominance

158 6 0
By LucienWinnx4

Didrika was now fourteen. Her appearance had changed dramatically. Her red hair was now down to her butt and tied up in articulate braids. She wore makeup to cover up bruises and scratches. Her clothes were now tighter to her figure. She had her own personal type of armor that she made customary for herself. Didrika was very experienced in multiple types of weapons. Her Cavikru accent was barely noticeable and to her clan she had a Polis accent. Her mental health was in a better place too.

It was a rainy day. The clouds covered the sky in a depressing gloom. The wind pushed at the tree limbs and leaves. The rain hit the houses with loud clops. The waves rose high and crashed into the shore with raging anger. Most people were inside, unless they were archers watching over the clan.

Didrika was drawing in the living quarters of the sixth founding family. The room was lit with the small gleam of the candle flames. She wore a simple long sleeve shirt that exposed her collarbone and shoulders and skin tight pants with her bottom half of armor. Her hair was in a waterfall braid.

The attack on Cavikru was a sheathly mission. Azgeda had slipped in unnoticed and began raiding living quarters. Blood blended with the rain and mud. Roan and Ontari slipped into the founding family building. They were met with resistance.

Didrika heard the shouting and clanking of weapons outside her room. Didrika ran outside and caught a sword heading straight for her head. She slid on her knees past an enemy. She spun and slashed at his knees. He fell and she stabbed the sword into his throat. She pulled it out and blood sprayed her face. Didrika knew she had to get to the Foheda's chamber. She slipped into the shadows and made her way to the room without meeting further enemies.

Didrika opened the door to the Foheda's chamber. A pain shot up her side. Didrika looked down at her side and saw an arrow sticking out of her. Her breath hitched and she looked up with wide eyes. Didrika saw Roan and Ontari in front of her. Ontari had her bow still drawn. She saw Trea. He looked beaten and he stared at her in disbelief. The concern in his eyes was very apparent. He ran forward and Didrika watched everything in slow motion. Ontari discarded her bow and pulled out a sword. She jabbed it and it made a clean cut through his neck. Trea's eyes widened and the concern was replaced with shock and pain. Blood dripped down his neck and then he slipped to the floor.

Didrika flinched from the feeling of warm blood spraying on her upper body. Didrika felt her muscles flexing as she sprung into action. She dived toward the ground and rolled past Ontari and grabbed the machete at Trea's nightstand. Didrika rose to her feet and Ontari struck at her. Didrika swatted her hand away; Ontari's sword fell to the ground. Didrika pushed her into the bed frame. Ontari's head cracked open and blood splattered on the bed frame. Ontari slipped to the ground.

Roan ran toward her. Didrika pivoted to the side dodging his advancement. She slammed the sword into his head. He sunk to his knees and Didrika punched him in the face. He collapsed onto his back and Didrika pressed her knee on his throat. He helplessly slapped at her leg as he fell victim to unconsciousness.

Ontari climbed onto Didrika's back. Her legs wrapping around Didrika's waist and her arms around her neck. Ontari pulled them to the ground. Ontari forced the arrow into her abdomen further. Didrika kicked at her chest. Ontari slammed her fist into Didrika's head. Ontari pressed her arms on her neck. Didrika choked and sunk her teeth into her wrist. Ontari cried out and Didrika would not let her go. The blood seeped into her mouth and iron filled her senses. Ontari pulled out a knife and slashed at Didrika's face. Didrika screamed out. Her skin ripped apart at her eyelid, eyebrow, and cheek. Blood gushed out of the wound.

Didrika snarled and rolled onto Ontari. Ontari yelped. Didrika slammed her knuckles into her face. Ontari's face reddened with bruises, rashes, and black blood stained Didrika's knuckles and Ontari's face. Roan regained consciousness and pulled Didrika off of Ontari. Ontari screamed as Roan dragged her out of the room.

Didrika rose to her feet and gasped. Sharp pain riddled throughout her and she collapsed. Didrika opened her eyes and the blurriness subsided and she crawled over beside Trea. She reached her hand up and stroked his cheek. He was cold to the touch. His once beautiful brown eyes were now grayed over and empty. Didrika cried and pain stabbed her in the gut.

She looked down at herself and saw a puddle of blood forming around her. The world tipped and she saw several people running toward her. Lorelei burst into the room. She looked harmed as well. She collapsed beside Didrika and moved Didrika's head so that Didrika was looking straight up at her. Lorelei froze. Didrika had shattered eyes and a beaten body. A healer began to work on Didrika. Didrika felt nothing and her heart slowly caved in on itself. Healers went to Trea and Didrika shook her head.

"He's d-dead. He's dead," Didrika croaked.

The healers looked at her shocked. They stopped with Trea and moved to save Didrika.

Didrika found herself outside. Her hand was on the bandaged wound. She was leaning heavily on Lorelei. Flames engulfed the living quarters. Civilians ran around with bleeding wounds and in shock. Children screamed and walked around lost. Ice Nation warriors ran in the city cutting down everyone in their path. Cavikru warriors screamed out orders and fought back. Didrika was helpless and could not help her troops.

The sun rose and Azgeda ran from the city. The devastation was horrific. No one was listening to the founding families. The dead littered the streets. Horses whined in the stables. The ground was stained red. Didrika's eyes teared up and tears slipped down her face. Her home was destroyed. Everything she loved was gone. Now she had to deal with all the bad of Cavikru. The good - the reasons she was alive - was gone. She sniffled and clenched her jaw. The emotion faded from her face and was replaced with emptiness and vengeance. The Cavikru warriors went to chase after Azgeda.

"Stand down! We will not fight a battle because of grief and vengeance!" Didrika screamed at the warriors.

The warriors looked at her startled. The emptiness of her features and the darkness of her glare moved them enough to keep them from attacking Azgeda. The hands grabbed at Didrika and she turned to them. Jett stared at her terrified. She was a splitting image of Trea. The same red hair and brown eyes. The same perfect posture. Her expression made him want to shrink away into nothing.

"It's time for the Cleansing ritual and the acceptance vows," Jett said.

Didrika nodded. This was the start of her descent into her dark side. She would stop at nothing to kill Ontari and until she did the thirst for vengeance would darken her. Didrika would forever have a scar around her heart that stained her soul black. Soon the name Jusripa (Blood Murderer) became the badge the signified her black soul.

Didrika shifted in her sleep. A name slipping from her lips along with cries for mercy. Didrika shot up from her bed. The sheets fell from her body and she gasped for air. Sweat clung to her hair and skin. Her body shook. Didrika scoured her room for Lorelei. She laid her eyes on Roan. She blushed and quickly looked down at herself. She would have let out a sigh of relief but that would have added to her embarrassment. She was grateful for falling asleep in her long sleeve shirt and pants. Roan walked to her side and placed a comforting hand on her shoulder. Didrika recoiled away from him. His face fell in shame.

"Where's Lorelei?" Didrika asked.

"With Octavia scouting for rebels," Roan answered.

Didrika slipped out of bed and clipped on her armor, med bag, and weapons. She moved toward the door. Roan gripped her wrist. Didrika turned to him with murderous eyes.

"Let me go," Didrika ordered.

"You were dreaming about Trea's death. My condolences," Roan said.

"Yeah, right."

Didrika yanked her arm away from him and pressed her palms against the door panels.

"Didrika, we may have been on different sides of a feud that lasted far too long, but I never planned on killing Trea. You took out the Royal Court of Cavikru. The feud is over. Can't we try to forgive each other?" Roan asked.

Didrika turned her head to look at him. She looked composed, but anyone could have noticed the gentle spark in her eyes and the shocked tense muscles.

"I already forgave you, Roan. I don't hate you," Didrika said.

"Then why do you still have a look of disgust on your face when you look at me?" Roan asked.

"Roan, I'm not like the other Commanders. I've got a lot of heavy pressure on my shoulders. And it's not from my time as Foheda or Heda."

"I heard that your people abused women. That the Foheda was harassed a lot more than others. I'm sorry you had to bear that at such a young age."

"Save your apologies. You want to work with me then you need to not treat me as a teenager. I may be seventeen, but I've been a leader since fourteen."

"I don't doubt you one bit. Lead the way, Heda."

Didrika turned back to the door and pushed it open. She marched up to the throne room. The guards opened the doors for Didrika and Roan. Didrika walked in and her eyes landed on the stained floor from Roan's blood. Berangaria stood beside the throne chair. The Ambassadors sat in their chairs. Didrika sighed. They had a lot to talk about.

"Gyon op gon Heda. (Rise for your Commander,)" Berangaria said.

The Ambassadors rose from their chairs as Didrika walked to the throne chair. She turned to the Ambassadors and nodded.

"The meeting may commence. Now sit, we have a lot to discuss," Didrika said.

Didrika sat down in the throne chair and the Ambassadors sat. Roan remained standing by her side. An Ambassador rose and Didrika raised her chin up to them to display dominance.

"Ambassador?" Didrika asked.

"No disrespect, Heda, but it is tradition for the Commander to wear the cape," the Ambassador said.

Berangaria glanced down at Didrika skeptically. Didrika nodded at the Ambassador respectfully.

"And I will be sure to receive it after this meeting. You must excuse me, the circumstances that have befallen on the clans have not allowed for a proper transition of leadership," Didrika replied.

The Ambassador seemed satisfied and sat back down. Didrika began the meeting with establishing new guidelines for the Coalition. The basic structure remained, but how the Commander enforced it changed. The Commander was now allowed to know what is happening in every clan; the Ambassadors were required to tell the Commander of any type of problem in the clan. Didrika wanted to make sure the Commander was never blindsided again. The vote of no confidence remained intact. The punishment of betrayal and treason changed to banishment and indentured servitude. An attack on the Commander was the only thing punishable by death, although there was the choice of stripping the opposer of their title (which Didrika preferred, but the Ambassadors felt that harsher punishment was required). Didrika officially combined Cavikru and the Coalition; she swore that the institution of the Foheda and Heda would be returned after her transitional reign. She also suggested changing the conclave victory since Nightbloods were becoming rare. The discussion did not get very far; the Ambassadors were not thrilled with the suggestion.

The conversation switched to the aftermath of the chip. Didrika arranged the burnings of the dead. She needed the Ambassadors to get their citizens to group their dead by families and neatly line them up around the fire pit. She also needed volunteers to rebuild the city and clean up the tower.

The conversation concluded with the information of the radiation. Didrika told the Ambassadors that Clarke left with Skaikru to find a solution to save all the clans. She said that their technology which the people were so against was what was going to save them. The Ambassadors wanted assurance that Skaikru would not just save themselves. Didrika said she could not insure that. She said they would just have to trust Skaikru like they trust the other clans. The meeting closed and the Ambassadors slowly left the throne room. Didrika sat in the throne chair and slouched in exhaustion.

The throne doors thrust open and Lorelei and Octavia walked in. They looked tired and were holding themselves like spies. Didrika straightened herself up and looked at them. She rose and walked toward them. Didrika knew something else was going to throw a wrench in her agenda.

"You were right to be concerned about Trishanakru," Lorelei told her.

"Why? What stupid thing are they doing?" Didrika asked.

"I guess they feel that the tech Skaikru has threatened their existence. A lot of their people were affected by the chip. They want the tech destroyed," Lorelei said.

"They can't. The tech is what is going to save us," Didrika said.

"You don't understand. They want the Flame destroyed. Rafael is going to challenge you tomorrow during the ceremony," Octavia said.

Didrika lowered her head while keeping her eyes on the girls in front of her. She had an angry glare in her eyes. She clenched her jaw and flared her nostrils.

"You need to fight him," Lorelei said.

"It'll cause distress during a time of grieving," Didrika said.

"You need to stick to your word about killing those who cross you," Octavia said.

"Leave me," Didrika suggested.

"Heda-" Octavia said.

"Silence. Thank you for the heads up. But get out," Didrika ordered.

Octavia gaped at her and Lorelei bowed her head and led Octavia out of the room. Lorelei knew when Didrika needed to be alone and this was one of those times.

Didrika turned back to the throne chair and held her hands on top of her head. She breathed in and shut her eyes. Berangaria walked to her side and Didrika recoiled away from her. Berangaria stood clueless. There was only one person that could get her out of a funk and that was Lorelei. Didrika walked to the balcony and looked up at the sky. It was clear and showed no signs of the Earth's ultimate destruction. She looked to the ground and saw the people setting up their booths again and cleaning the aftermath.

The doors opened and Indra walked in. She held the silver shoulder plate with the red cape stitched into it. Didrika turned to her and looked at the cape with grief. Indra smiled at her gently. Her fingers lightly traced the Emblem of the Commander on Didrika's head.

"Lexa would be proud," Indra said.

"Everyone keeps telling me that. What would she be proud of, following suggestions from others, following other leaders? I don't even know what I believe in anymore," Didrika said.

"It's not uncommon for leaders your age to question their existence. Lexa even went through it. The only way you'll find out what you stand for and what you believe is by trying everything. All you need is time."

"I guess."

"Now Heda, it's time for your reign to begin."

Didrika nodded and turned around. She heard the click of the buckle of the shoulder plate unhooking. Indra adjusted the shoulder plate over the left shoulder plate of her jacket. She smoothed the band up under her right armpit. Didrika took the clip and attached it in the front. The cape fell to the floor. Didrika pulled her hair out from under the band. She turned to Indra and she scanned her. She nodded in approval. Indra bowed and left.

Didrika walked back to her room and took off the shoulder plate, her jacket, and armor. She sat on the bed and pulled out her notebook. She began to sketch Lexa as she had lied on the bed suffering from the bullet wound. Lorelei slipped into the room and removed her armor. Didrika eyed her strangely; Lorelei never took off her armor unless she wanted to be romantic. Lorelei slipped into the bed beside Didrika and leaned her head on her shoulder. She watched Didrika draw Lexa. Lorelei took her hand and squeezed it. Lorelei knew how much Lexa meant to her. She knew that she only drew those who had been important to her. Didrika finished the sketch and put her notebook on the nightstand. Didrika kissed her. Lorelei placed her hands on Didrika's neck. Didrika leaned into her. Lorelei gasped and pushed her away. They looked at each other with several emotions - grief, terror, surprise, happiness.

"Will you draw me when I die?" Lorelei asked.

"You're not dying before me. I won't have to draw you. If one dies, we both die," Didrika said.

"But if I do?"

"It's so rare for one of the pair to die before the other."

"De?"

"I won't draw you. I'll paint you. You're too beautiful to be in black and white."

Lorelei felt better knowing that Didrika felt that way about her. They both had the fear of losing each other. They meant so much to each other. They had trained, lived, ate, killed, led together. The only thing that could sever the bond was death. And even then the bond would make the survivor hurt so much that it would be unbearable.

Lorelei let tears fall down her face. Lorelei never cried. She was the strong one. She held everything back, which was why when she did lose it it did not go well for those in her way.

Didrika kissed Lorelei. It was a hot desperate kiss. Lorelei pressed against Didrika. Didrika sank onto the bed and looked up at Lorelei with undying love. Lorelei moved her hair to the side and crawled on top of Didrika. Her hand went up Didrika's shirt and Didrika lifted up. Lorelei pulled off Didrika's shirt. Didrika slipped back onto the bed. Lorelei traced her lips along her collar bone. Didrika pulled Lorelei's shirt off and Lorelei grinned. Lorelei bit down on Didrika's neck and Didrika traced Lorelei's scars on her back. Lorelei trailed her lips down her chest and abdomen. Didrika's breath hitched as her lips spun butterflies in her stomach. Lorelei ran her hand up Didrika's leg. It tickled her and made Didrika tense. Lorelei slipped Didrika's pants off and ran her hand down the inside of her thighs. Didrika shuddered and moaned.

Didrika inhaled deeply and flipped onto Lorelei. Lorelei gasped and felt Didrika's fingers tracing her muscles and bones. It was as if Didrika was memorizing her so that she could get every detail right when she would paint her. Lorelei shimmied out of her pants and connected her lips with Didrika's. Didrika smiled and Lorelei took advantage of her lowered guard.

Lorelei rolled on top of her and placed short sweet kisses down her arm. Didrika put her fingers in Lorelei's hair. Lorelei's fingers ran across her skin, making Didrika lurch up into her. Lorelei lowered to Didrika's center and Didrika shivered. Didrika watched Lorelei. Lorelei smiled evilly at her and Didrika laughed. Didrika groaned as Lorelei began to caress her. Didrika's hands fell limp onto the bed sheets.

She felt Lorelei slip inside of her and Didrika could no longer breathe. Her eyes rolled up into her head. Her fingers clutched the sheets as she made fists. Her knuckles turned white. An array of colors burst out under her half lidded eyes. Didrika sighed as all the tension in her body unraveled. Lorelei placed a long kiss on Didrika's lips.

Didrika was numb. She forced her eyes to open and she saw Lorelei smiling. Her nose was scrunched up in its cute wrinkles that she only got when she was embarrassed. Her eyebrows were creased in concern. Her eyes showed complete and total submission and love. Didrika kissed her forehead.

Lorelei rolled off of Didrika and nuzzled her head in her neck. Her arms wrapped around her abdomen. Didrika wrapped one arm around her waist and met Lorelei's arms at her abdomen. She clasped their hands together. Her other arm laid at her side. Their legs entangled in each other. Didrika grabbed the sheets and pulled them over them.

Didrika's emotions were on overdrive and she knew she would get jumpy. She smiled, knowing that even in the hardships of war and death they could have moments like this and be freed of all their cares. Lorelei made circles on Didrika's abdomen with her free hand. Didrika closed her eyes and let the simple touches unravel her. Sleep slowly conquered her.

Didrika woke up groggy. Her mind was foggy and her eyes would not stop closing. Lorelei was beside her and was not even awake. Didrika realized, shockingly, that sometime in the night they both had changed into clothes. Didrika stared at the ceiling with a furious glare. She hated waking up. She sighed and rolled over.

She shook Lorelei's shoulder. Lorelei groaned in her sleep and opened her eyes to get up. She sat up and then fell back on the bed. Didrika could have tickled her feet to get her to wake up, but that seemed excessive. Didrika moved beside Lorelei and rested her head on Lorelei's middle side. She stared at the wall across from the bed. Lorelei moved her side up and down in a sleep rhythm. Time passed and Didrika knew she had to get up. Didrika sat up and kissed Lorelei's shoulder. She trailed her lips up to her neck and bit down. Lorelei shuddered and opened her eyes. Didrika sat up and stared down at Lorelei's face. Lorelei rolled onto her back and took Didrika's hand.

"Time to get up. We have to make an appearance today," Didrika told her.

"You and your agenda," Lorelei groaned.

"Didn't it used to be you telling me that? We're a sealed deal. Grieving people need to be led."

"It's not even light out yet."

Didrika shrugged and slipped out of the bed. Didrika clipped on her armor and weapons. She zipped up her jacket and secured her med bag on her buckle. She clipped on the shoulder plate cape. Didrika walked up to a mirror and covered up her bruises and scratches on her face with make up. Didrika rubbed adhesive on the back of the Emblem of the Commander and stuck the tiny head piece between her eyebrows.

Lorelei sighed and slipped out of bed. She slipped on her armor - chainmail shirt, forearm guards, knee guards, fingerless gloves, bullet proof vest, and leadership jacket. She slipped her sword sheath over her shoulder and tucked knives into her vest. Lorelei turned to Didrika with a hawk eye glance. She was no longer a kid. She was at work. Lorelei morphed into a completely different person when she was on the job. Lorelei walked out of the room and Didrika trailed her.

They made their way to the throne room. The sun was slowly rising above the horizon. The doors were pushed open and Didrika saw the Ambassadors standing by the throne chair. They bowed their heads to her. There were hundreds of dead to burn. The burning would take all morning and then Polis would be enthralled into a memorial festival. The people were ready for the burnings. It had taken all day for the dead to be lined up but it was completed.

Didrika dreaded it. At the end of the ritual, Lexa would be finally burned and Didrika had to be present. She was thankful that Lorelei would be with her. Didrika bowed back to the Ambassadors and they murmured in shock. Didrika's glare shut them up.

A horn blew and black smoke rose from the tower. Horns in the other clans responded. The ceremony had begun. Didrika walked out of the room. The Ambassadors followed her out of the tower and toward the fire pit. They circled the pit. The citizens slowly filled up the pathway. The first body was laid onto the pit. The pit was lit on fire. The fire grew taller as each body was thrown into it. Didrika noticed Octavia in the crowd beside the war chiefs.

The heat of the afternoon sizzled down on them. Lexa's body was carried through the crowd. The talking of the people died down. Lexa's body was wrapped in a red blanket. Her brown hair clashed against the blanket. She was still in the outfit that she had died in. Didrika wanted to tear her eyes away from her, but she could not will herself to. Lexa's body was laid down on the pit and the torch was passed to Didrika. Didrika gulped hard and lit Lexa on fire. She felt someone pushed up against her. She looked down and saw Aden. Aden was now her second and was given extra privileges that allowed him to shadow Didrika. Didrika smiled and took his hand. He squeezed it and she lifted her eyes up to the flames.

Didrika found herself back in the throne room. The shoulder plate cape was off and her leadership jacket was hanging off the throne chair. She paced the floor anxiously. The grounders had done a good job at cleaning up the city. The festival noises were hearable from the floor she was on. Didrika had refused to participate. She had more important things to deal with then partying to appease her grief. The doors opened and Aden walked into the room. He had his arms bound behind his back.

"Yes, Aden," Didrika said.

Didrika moved in front of the throne chair and removed the shoulder plate cape and her jacket. She placed them in a hidden place in the room.

"The Cavikru novitiates have arrived," Aden said.

He watched her move back in front of the throne chair. Aden knew she must be a mess on the inside, but she was all sorted out on the outside. She straightened her clothes and armor and patted down her hair. She nodded at him and he slipped out of the room. Aden came back in with the twenty four novitiates behind him. Didrika reminded herself that she needed to ask the scouts about the search for the Coalition Nightbloods. Didrika sat down on the throne chair and the children sat down in a circle around the chair. Didrika crossed her leg above her knee and placed her folded hands on her knee. She smiled at them.

"Hello, my yongon (children). I hope your travels went well," Didrika said sweetly.

"Heda, we do not normally sit with the Commander," Constantine reminded her.

"That is why I brought you all here," Didrika said.

The children straightened in interest and nodded to let her know that they were listening. Aden looked at her with mild interest but with more confusion.

"I wanted to explain my future plans to you. I believe you all know of my teacher," Didrika started.

"Which teacher? We know of many. You have to remember that we don't know you well," Josiah explained.

Didrika looked over at the child named Josiah. He had jet black hair, pale skin, and blue eyes. He was clearly a Protector. He had pronounced bags under eyes and he looked like he was suffering from his own mental health issues. Next to him was his Unify Partner. He had tan skin, dirty blonde hair, and blue eyes. This boy had a skinny figure but firm muscles. Didrika felt lost. She did not know all of their names, which was one of the reasons she wanted to talk to them.

"Lexa kom Trikru. She was my first teacher. Trea and Jett followed. A leader has many teachers and helpers," Didrika told them, "Lexa was working towards peace. Blood must not have blood. We wanted to combine our traditions. I wanted to change some things with the Cavikru conclave. First things first, I wanted to establish that like the Heda, I will train you myself. You will no longer have to endure the tortuous training from people who don't know what they're talking about."

She paused to allow the news to sink into their brains. Some of them seemed to breathe a sigh of relief. Others seemed neutrally confused. They were too grown up. They should not have to deal with all of this. They needed be treated as children or at least given guidance of some sort. Didrika gulped, although her throat was dry and had nothing in it to be swallowed.

"I wanted to also start the tradition of both groups of novitiates training together. I want the future Foheda and Heda training together. After that the Foheda and Heda will train the groups of novitiates together. The Foheda and Heda will lead together as co leaders of the Coalition. Cavikru will reintegrate into the clans. I wanted to know what you thought. Is that something you'd be open to?" Didrika explained to them.

The group of novitiates in front of her smiled. They were all itching for change. They wanted to be in a safer and friendlier environment. All children wanted to be cherished and loved not tortured and uncared for.

"I can't do anything without knowing your names," Didrika told them.

Constantine stood to speak for the group. He pointed to the pairs as he recited their names.

"Well, that's Josiah and Noah. Over there we have John and Cameron. To the left is Sarah and Derek. This is River and Mal, Judith and Carl, Prometheus and Zeus, Emalee and Emma, Jason and Percy, Athena and Rebecca, Albert and Glenn, Jayesh and Reyna. And I'm Constantine and this is Niklaus," Constantine said.

"I have my own introduction," Didrika said.

Didrika looked to Aden who was standing by the doors with his arms crossed. He looked at her surprised. The embarrassment and shock crossed his eyes before he knocked all emotion from his face. Didrika gestured for him to join her at her side. Aden moved to her side reluctantly. He looked down at the novitiates.

"This is Aden. He won the conclave and gave the Flame to me. He is my second and will be training you alongside me," Didrika said.

Didrika looked to the window and saw the light slowly leaving the sky. She clapped her hands and stood up. The novitiates followed and stood at attention.

"Guard, will you lead the novitiates to the Nightblood living quarters?" Didrika asked.

"Of course, Heda. Follow me novitiates," the guard said.

The room slowly emptied and Didrika moved to walk toward the balcony. Aden grabbed her hand and she turned to him. She watched him curiously as he pulled out a wood cylinder. She recognized the symbol on the top of the lid. It was the Emblem of the Commander. Didrika took the cylinder in her hands and ran her fingers over the symbol. She looked at Aden confused.

"It's Lexa's ashes. I know that your clan doesn't believe in grieving, but I thought you would want them," Aden said.

Didrika let her eyes water up.

"Aw, Aden, thank you so much. I wish I could do something for you," Didrika said.

"As I recall you said that you're getting me a tattoo. I would like you to draw my tattoo design. You'll do a much better job than me. But that's not why I gave you her ashes. I knew you wanted to combine traditions so I brought you the ashes to symbolize that," Aden said.

"Thank you. That means a lot to me and our people."

Didrika kissed Aden's forehead and the doors were burst open. Aden turned to the intruders. Didrika looked to the people in front of her. It was a young man beside Rafael, the Trishanakru Ambassador. Aden clenched his jaw.

"How dare you barge into Heda's throne room unannounced," Aden snapped angrily.

"What's it to you little child? This is politics for the Commander not a child," Rafael said.

"Aden is my second. You will treat him as you treat me. Now what do you want?" Didrika ordered.

Rafael looked at Aden with an angry face. Didrika raised her chin and put her hands behind her back. He looked at her and shook with terror. Didrika had the ability to make people feel a certain way just by looking at them. She knew what Rafael was up to. She knew the boy, Ilian's, story. She pulled a smile across her face to seem charming but in reality to make Rafael want to run and hide. Rafael stood his ground and challenged her to a duel. He wanted Didrika gone. He wanted Skaikru gone. He wanted technology gone. Didrika wanted him gone. His death would save all their people. Didrika accepted the challenge with a cocky tone. Rafael froze in shock. He had anticipated that she would deny it and that he would have to issue a vote of no confidence. He was wrong. Rafael knew what he was bargaining for. Didrika was the devil and even the devil was jailed in hell. Rafael stomped out of the room with Ilian behind him. Didrika watched them leave inspecting their body language.

Aden turned to her. His face had paled and he looked like he was going to throw up. Didrika looked at him concerned.

"Why'd you do that? Now I have to lose you too," Aden shouted.

Didrika put her hands on his shoulders.

"Aden, calm down. Speak what's on your mind," Didrika told him.

Aden's eyes watered and his cheeks blushed. He looked at her with the broken blue orbs of his eyes.

"I already watched Lexa fight in a challenge. I already feared her death. I can't. I don't want to feel that for you. It would break me," Aden said.

"I wasn't trained to be a warrior, Aden. I was trained to be a monster. I'll win," Didrika told him.

He looked up at her and rubbed the water from his eyes.

"I'm sorry. I don't mean to have you see me like this," Aden apologized.

"Aden, shut up. It's okay," Didrika reassured him.

Didrika brought him into a hug and buried her head into his neck. He cried on her shoulder. She rubbed his back.

"It's okay. It's all gonna be alright," Didrika promised.

Aden pulled away from her and he composed himself. He was better at it than her. He knew that going into public meant looking like you never saw a bad thing in life. Didrika was saddened that he was burdened with such a task.

"Now I must get ready for my challenge. I expect to see you watching. Maybe you can learn a thing or two," Didrika told him.

Aden nodded. Didrila snagged her jacket and shoulder plate cape. Didrika slipped by Aden and walked to her room. Now she had to fight. She saw Lexa fight Roan. She knew how battles worked. Didrika would just have to trust herself and her skills. She opened the door into her room and stepped into it.

The room was barely changed from when Lexa had lived in it. Clarke's paint easel was still in the room. Lexa's book and candles remained in their respective places. Didrika folded her jacket and laid it on the bed. She walked to the mirror and pulled out her blue face paint. She drew two arches facing each other down her forehead to the inside edge of her eyebrow, colored in circles around her eyes, traced lines from outside edge of eyes down the neck into two facing arches (with the deepest part of arch on the collar bone) looping out of the arch outlining the inside of her breasts, and finishing it off by adding an upside down arch over the collar bone connected to the facing arches.

She unarmed herself. Duals were known to only allow one weapon. She would have to choose her weapon. Didrika wanted to show dominance, not ruthlessness. She did not want her people to fear her. She could either use her duals swords or her cousin's bo staff. The bo staff was a defensive weapon. Swords were an offensive weapon. She was not fighting to kill, she was fighting to defend her title. The bo staff would do. That was the first weapon of every Cavikru warrior. It allowed the student to learn how their body moves and how to use their enemy against their enemy. It was a simple weapon to master. Didrika had learned it from Trea. It made an assassin more deadly, a warrior more accurate, an amateur more protected. Didrika decided to use the bo staff. Her fighting style would be sloppy at the beginning. She was not attuned to the bo staff anymore.

A thought occurred to her. In her clan, a challenge on the leader meant a challenge also on the Protector. Lorelei walked in with a gloomy face. Didrika turned and smirked at her. Lorelei froze in shock and dipped her lips in confusion.

"You've got a very different opinion on fight to the death," Lorelei commented.

"Not when I know I'm going to win," Didrika said.

"Cocky, now are we?"

"No. I'm going to win, because you'll be fighting with me."

"Chit? (Pardon?)"

"A challenge on one-"

"Is a challenge on both. I like the way you think."

"Of course you do. It's why you love me."

Didrika shuffled through her bag and pulled out the bo staff. Lorelei sharpened her sword and drew face paint on her head. The horn sounded for the challenge and the girls looked at each other. It was nothing new. They have been fighting beside each other for years. They were not two people fighting, they were extensions of each other's bodies. There was a visible difference.

Berangaria opened the door and announced that the challenge was to begin in five minutes. Lorelei and Didrika followed Berangaria to the Colosseum. Unlike the crowd for Lexa, they remained silent. Didrika spotted Aden in the front of the crowd. He had a blank face, but he was clearly pressing his lips into a thin line. The appearance of Lorelei beside Didrika infuriated Trishanakru. The Ambassadors seemed to tolerate the tradition and quieted the protesting clan.

Berangaria announced the rules of the challenge. Single combat until one remained alive.

Didrika clipped off the shoulder plate cape and handed it to a guard. Another guard held out their weapons. Didrika picked up the bo staff and spun around her body. It was weighted at the ends for balance. Didrika connected with the staff again. It had been a long time since she used a defensive weapon, but this felt like an extension of her body. Lorelei pulled her sword out of its sheath and thanked the guard. She turned to Rafael. He stared at them with burning anger.

Lorelei stepped up beside Didrika. Rafael had a spear in his hand. He looked pretty confident that he could kill such young warriors. Didrika and Lorelei had two things on him though, they were young and they were assassins. Rafael charged toward the girls. Lorelei hung at Didrika's blind spot. It was evident to any warrior that they were more than mere partners. The way they stood beside each other showed that they had been through battles together and had evolved to do more than watch each other's backs.

Rafael swung his spear at Didrika's side. She brought her staff to meet his spear. He pushed to the left and the sticks unconnected. Didrika spun as Rafael swung his spear at her head. She ducked underneath the spear and slammed her staff into his side. Rafael clutched his side and staggered back. Didrika tucked her staff under her armpit and inspected him. He raised his spear and thrust it at her chest. Didrika lifted it upwards with her staff and swung the staff into his wielding forearm.

Lorelei saw an opening. She broke into a run and slid onto her knees. She slashed at his ankles and spun onto her feet and slashed his back. Rafael yelped from the pain and turned to face Lorelei. She spun the sword in her hand to hold it defensively. He stutter-stepped forward, hoping to trick her into overcompensating. She did not flinch from his indecisive moves. Rafael slashed his spear at her and Lorelei brought her arm down to dodge the blade. She brought the sword up to connect with the inside of the spear. The spear shot out of his hand and rolled away from the pair. Lorelei tucked the blade of her sword against her forearm and kicked at Rafael's gut.

He staggered back, but he did not fall. He seemed to get angrier. He turned to Didrika and bolted toward her. Didrika saw him make the decision before he acted on it. She swung her staff to block his punches and kicks, by connecting with his hands, forearms, and shins. He winced every time he was hit, but the pain seemed to fuel his rage. His fist connected with her jaw and she recoiled back. She glared at him and clenched her jaw. Didrika spun her staff as she spun forward. Rafael dodged the ends of the staff as it swiped at him. He caught the spear and pulled it toward him. Didrika tightened her grip on the ends. Rafael had his hands on the middle of the staff and had pushed his forearms against her chest. Didrika's face was inches away from Rafael's face. Didrika spat out blood onto his face. He growled and kicked her in the chest. She flung back, her feet sliding on the concrete. She widened the distance between her feet in a defensive fighting stance.

Didrika saw Lorelei walking around to her back. Didrika smirked and bowed her back horizontal to the ground. The staff tucked at her waist. Lorelei sprinted and jumped into the air. Her feet landed on Didrika's back and Didrika lifted up. Lorelei jumped off of her and flipped in the air. She opened up out of the spinning ball and slashed at Rafael's face as she landed onto her feet. Lorelei was not done; she spun and slammed the sword hilt into his temple. He slipped to his knees. Didrika walked up behind him with the end of her staff dragging against the concrete. She slipped the staff against Rafael's neck and dug it into his windpipe. Rafael choked and Didrika twisted his head to the side. His neck fell limp and Didrika pulled the staff back to her side. Rafael's body fell to the ground and the crowd cheered. Didrika looked at Lorelei. Neither of them liked doing what they were born to do. Didrika collapsed the staff into a piece half the length of her forearm. She turned to the crowd and raised her fist up to silence them.

"Ambassador Rafael is dead. It's time to move on. We can not act as children! I am the Commander. You may not like how I rule, but I don't give a damn. The Heda has always been a leader behind walls. I don't want to be that. I want to be involved with you, the people. I want to fight with you, eat with you, shop with you. I want to be your ally. I want to have your say in my decisions. I can't do any of that without you. I need your enthusiasm, your energy, your commitment. The Heda will no longer stand alone. I stand with you. I am not Lexa, and I understand that. I understand that this is new and a long shot. I need to gain your trust. We need to advance as a people if we are to survive Praimfaya. Lexa began something. She fought for peace, for a lifestyle that would allow our children to grow without anticipating their deaths. She was my teacher and as her student I will continue what she started. You don't have to like how I lead, but you now have a say. You are free to challenge my authority by paper or talk, but blood must not have blood. I'm done with duels to the death. No one will suffer death for not agreeing with the Heda again. I do guarantee you that if you hurt others or me I will end your life. My reign began days ago now your reign begins," Didrika proclaimed.

The crowd remained silent from shock. Aden smiled wildly. Lexa had taught Didrika well. Aden knew that she would be the right teacher for him. The silence broke as the crowd began to cheer. The guard walked up behind Didrika and secured the shoulder plate cape on her shoulder. Didrika clipped it on and the guard backed away. Didrika bowed her head to the crowd and the crowd chanted Heda. Didrika marched out of the colosseum with Lorelei and Aden trailing at her sides.

-----

Didrika tore off her armor. She wanted to look human. Being in her armor made her look like she was asking for people to fear her. Lexa's armor was way more opposing, but all her weapons made up for her lousy wardrobe. Didrika grabbed a mixed sized violet and purple stripes that were spread apart by white long sleeve shirt. She switched from her dark blue pants to black pants with a white curly line spiraling down the front. She undid her hair and ran her fingers through it to get rid of the knots. She pulled her hair in a high ponytail and weaved a small braid and wrapped it around the elastic.

Lorelei walked up behind her and completed a twisted ladder ponytail. She tied it off and sat down on her side of the bed. Lorelei must admit, having an intricate French fishtail mermaid braid was inconvenient on the battlefield. The ponytail was fancy enough to display her title and was simple enough to be out of the way while fighting. Lorelei's hair was usually in a braided ponytail. Lorelei curled up underneath the bed sheets and Didrika left the room. Lorelei fell asleep.

Didrika walked to the Nightblood quarters. The Cavikru novitiates were now living there. She entered the building and found Aden. He looked at her curiously.

"Come on, no second of mine is living with students," Didrika whispered to him.

Aden nodded. He did not want to make a big deal out of this. He wanted to leave without making the others jealous. Aden grabbed the few personal effects he had and followed Didrika to the tower. She led him to a room beside the Commander's room. It was the room she was staying in, but now it was Aden's. She helped him move in and then they laid on the bed. Didrika was flat on her back. Aden had one of his legs bent and rested the other up on the knee. He had his hands behind his head.

"I drew the tattoo. I was thinking you could get it tomorrow before we start the training with the novitiates," Didrika said.

"I would like that," Aden said.

"Good."

Didrika leaned up and kissed his forehead. She slipped out of his room and he fell asleep with a smile on his face.

Didrika entered her room with a smile. She fell into the bed beside Lorelei. Lorelei moved in her sleep to rest her head on Didrika's chest. Her plan was working so far. Aden would take the Flame after she died and in a year she would have a Foheda in training. Aden and the victor would install the bond behind the Foheda and Heda. Didrika was slightly sad that she would not get to see the day. Her and Lexa were supposed to be the establishing pair, but Aden and the victor would do just fine.

Didrika rolled her eyes. Here she was thinking about the future when radiation loomed over them and when the peace may shatter at any moment. As a child, this was why she lived in the present, but as a leader, she had to live in the past, present, and future. This was going to be a long journey for her, a child who still had no idea what she believed in. She only knew that things had to change, that what she was doing was finishing what Lexa started. Now she needed to get her own agenda, her own beliefs, and her own orders. It was time for her to live her life. Didrika closed her eyes and grinned.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.9K 929 66
You want a battle? I'll give you a war. A dying Ark sends 100 juvenile delinquents down to earth to see if its survivable after the nuclear war sever...
62.9K 2.4K 45
"π™’π™π™–π™©π™šπ™«π™šπ™§ π™©π™π™š π™π™šπ™‘π™‘ π™¬π™š 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙩" Nova's journey continues, she is now living in Fio's cabin and training everyday, taking up new hobb...
15.1K 599 23
In the aftermath of the Mount Weather disaster, Sairah boldly aligns herself with the Sky People, despite facing initial hostility. She remains undet...
10.3K 419 45
This story begins when Anya gets shot by guards of the Ark. But they miss and Anya can get away with her life. Now she needs to convince Heda to hear...