Blue Eyes

By tobie123

Amazing cover was made by @MissLalice After the Garrison is shot up, the youngest Shelby daughter finds a new... More

More to Life
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
Video!
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
Announcement!
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
Announcement
Epilogue
The Secret Marriage
Post-Script

14

17.3K 489 25
By tobie123

          "I don't want to go back," Ella whispered to Alfie.

Six simple words that led Alfie to shelter her in his big coat and escort her out to the car. After requesting to be brought back to his flat, they were quiet during the drive. But he kept a comforting hand over hers. They arrived and Alfie helped Ella step out of the car. He wished his driver a good night and led her inside.

Cyril was ecstatic to see the young woman again. It had been so long since he'd seen her. His tail was practically a blur from wagging so fast. He trotted up to her and pushed his face against her hand, itching for a pat.

Ella smiled and fussed over him for a few minutes, cooing softly to him and ruffling his ears.

Alfie took his coat from her shoulders, hanging it up and retiring to the kitchen. "Want me to put the kettle on?" He offered.

"Sure." She responded and made her way into the parlor, Cyril following at her heels. She'd only ever been in the front room of Alfie's flat. It was very interesting to finally see inside his personal space. You could tell a lot about a person by their home. Even little bits that they themselves didn't notice. Habits they hardly even realized anymore.

Alfie was far neater than she was. Maybe it was because he was always working and hardly ever home to make a mess. The room was fairly sparse. Cyril jumped up onto a well-loved couch that the large dog decided to claim as his own. His long legs sprawling out as he fit into the perfect mold he'd created in the cushions.

Ella continued wandering around the room, passing by the tall bookshelf. She'd never been much of a reader. She learned her alphabet and arithmetic in the betting shop. Her brothers would often tease Ada for being a bookworm and she didn't want to be made fun of either. So she pretended she was too tough for school and anything that came with it, including reading. But she secretly adored when Ada would read to her at night.

Her fingers grazed across the bookshelf as she ambled over to a large but handsome looking radio. One that was surely top of the line. She smiled because she never imagined Alfie listening to music in his free time. They'd go to the club together but he never mentioned ever enjoying what the bands played. Toying with the dials for a moment, she wondered what sort of music he listened to. Classical would surely bore him, wouldn't it? A man who got his kicks from large amounts of money and guns. But she couldn't picture him listening to popular jazz music either. He wasn't one to follow trends of the modern age. He was so deeply set in his ways.

"Here we are." He entered the room and set down two teacups. "Cyril..." He rolled his eyes at the dog that had taken up the entirety of the couch. But he had too big of a soft spot for the mutt that he didn't shoo him off.

Ella knelt down and started tuning through the radio waves to find a clear music station.

"Hardly use that thing." He admitted, lingering behind her. "Waste of fucking money."

When she found a good song, she stood up and turned to face him. "I don't think so." She smiled and stepped toward him.

"Yeah, why's that?" Like a magnet, she drew him closer. It became instinct, upon hearing music, to automatically take one hand and rest another on her waist.

She melted into his embrace, wrapping an arm around his neck and resting her cheek on his chest. "Because what else would we dance to?"

His chuckle sent vibrations through her. "S'pose that's a good enough reason."

They fell quiet, simply listening to the music and swaying together, somewhat out of sync from the song. It was their own rhythm that they found together. It was enough to push out the rest of the world. For at least one song, they could pretend like everything was okay. There was no harm or foul being so close. She wasn't a Shelby, she was simply Ella and he was simply Alfie.

After at least five songs, and long after Cyril had fallen asleep on the couch, Alfie's lips grazed over Ella's ear. "Should take you home, love." He murmured. "Getting late."

"I am home." She replied stubbornly.

He really wished she were home there in his arms. Forever nearby. "I'm sorry."

"Just one more song." She pled. Both of them were aware there wasn't much they could do about the reality that awaited them outside. Still, Alfie didn't have the heart to tell her no. So they danced one more song.

~~~~~~~~~~~

When Tommy was released from the hospital, he returned to Arrow House and requested Ella follow. She insisted she had a job to keep but he assured her the law firm wouldn't dream of firing her.

"Are you saying you lot are threatening them?" She retorted sternly and helped Tommy tug on his coat.

"Don't need to." He shakily stood and took Ella's hand for support. "Don't need to threaten anyone, El."

Since Tommy would be on his own at Arrow House, Ella decided it might be a good idea to accompany him even for a week. She wanted to help tend to Charlie and make sure that her brother was healing. Their siblings were all too busy with their jobs regarding the upcoming robbery so it was left to Ella and the staff of Arrow House to take care of him in the last stages of his recovery.

Being in Warwickshire allowed Ella to clear her head. Being away from London's smoke and soot and breathing in some clean air did wonders for the brain. She thought about the shit her brothers were getting into and how it affected her and the rest of the family. Whether it was fair or not really wasn't an issue anymore. They'd done what they'd done and now they'd all have to deal with the consequences.

Ella knew that it was nearly impossible to escape the reality of her family. Unless she skipped across the Pond and established herself a new life somewhere in Boston or New York. Maybe even as far as California. But she would miss everyone far too much, Alfie included.

So perhaps it was wiser to simply find her niche in the Shelby world. Tommy could have his fun but she could establish herself as a Shelby too. A Shelby who decided her own fate. And if she damn well wanted that fate to include Alfie Solomons, then she would. Tommy and the rest of them would just have to deal with it. She had plenty of ammunition to retaliate with if they ever tried giving her shit.

She just needed to convince Alfie that they could find their way in such a chaotic world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Weeks passed and Tommy recovered steadily. Ella had fun bonding with her young nephew and spending time with the dappled gray that she had nicknamed Bean for the little bean-shaped mark on his chest.

Tommy rolled his eyes whenever she called the gelding that but never protested. He was just glad his sister was sticking around. Things were about to get more complicated but he needed to get the ball rolling. He wanted that damn priest dead and wanted his share of what Tatiana promised him.

One of his more difficult bits was approaching and he wanted Ella to be there instead of hearing about it later. Bad blood would have to be put aside and that wasn't a strong suit in his family, especially for Arthur. Maybe the Christianity thing would help.

~~~~~~~~~~~

"El, I'm going to sit outside for a bit!" Tommy called upstairs.

"Oh," His sister came to the top of the stairs. "I have the paper, do you want it?" She asked.

He grimaced. He'd already tried reading the paper that morning but was unsuccessful. Something from the injury messed with his eyesight and he couldn't make out any of the printed words. "No, thank you. Just going to enjoy the sun."

"I saw Johnny outside, has he brought a new horse?" She wondered hopefully.

"'Fraid not. Here on different business." He explained. "Charlie's up, right?" He asked.

"I think he's with Mary. He's been pestering her all morning for sweets." Ella walked down the stairs with the newspaper in hand.

Her brother chuckled. "Cheeky rascal." He shook his head and started to make his way towards the patio door. "He's starting to act like you. Wonder why."

Ella grinned and followed him. "I have no idea what you're on about." She paused in the hallway. She noticed Johnny Dogs out in the lawn, basking in the dull English sun. "Business 'bout the robbery?" She wondered.

"Putting things into motion." He nodded.

She chewed on the inside of her cheek and rolled the newspaper up to occupy her hands. "Are you going to need me to do anything?"

"Not unless you want a job. Rather keep you out of this one."

She lingered by a portrait of one of Tommy's racehorses. "I've been thinking, Tom. Maybe...if there's something I can do."

He held up a hand to stop her. "No need. Things are already planned." He assured her vaguely. But he didn't elaborate any further. Instead, he opened the glass French doors to step outside.

"What do you mean?"

"All in due time."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Worried that Tommy acquired more brain damage than previously believed, Ella lingered on the first floor of the manor. Charlie was still with Mary so she didn't have to look after him. She was too confused by Tommy's hint to really focus her energy on anything.

A knock at the front door officially sparked Tommy's plan. Mary opened the door but passed by Ella as she was going to alert Tommy.

"Who's here?" The younger Shelby wondered.

The maid looked perplexed. "Your brothers are downstairs, but there's another man who's arrived asking for Tommy." She answered.

"Huh." Ella walked by Mary, letting her outside. She made her way into the front room and was stunned to see who was standing there. "Alfie..."

The man turned away from the many portraits on the wall adjoining the stairs. He looked just as surprised to see her. "El..."

"I uh-" She paused and tried to dig up some words. But it had been nearly a month since she last saw him. All the while she was thinking about him nonstop. "Tommy didn't tell me you'd be here."

"I thought you were in London." He admitted. "Tried calling you."

Her lips parted and she suddenly felt stupid for failing to tell him. "I'm sorry, I didn't think I'd be here this long. You...you tried calling me?"

A sheepish smile crossed his face and he tilted his head to the side. "Well, s'pose we left things a bit open-ended."

"I didn't think you wanted to complicate things." She ushered him into the big room to talk. "But I've been thinking."

Alfie wandered over to the window next to Tommy's leather desk chair while she sat. "What've you been thinking 'bout?" He wondered.

"If I must be a Shelby, then that's what I'll be." Ella crossed her ankles and held her chin high. "But that doesn't mean my brothers control me."

His blue eyes studied her face, overshadowed by the brim of his hat. "That's brave of you, innit?"

"Think I'm brave to still want you too?"

He chuckled and ran a hand over his beard. "Extremely brave."

"Then I'm brave." She spoke softly. "But I don't care. S'long as I've got you."

The gangster took a big breath, his broad shoulders lifting a weighted burden along with the inhale. He opened his mouth to speak but Tommy decided at that moment to walk in.

"Ah, good, you're both here." He nodded complacently and went for the liquor table.

Ella raised an eyebrow. It was a strangely calm reaction from her brother after seeing her with Alfie. "You're not supposed to be drinking." She reminded him. "Not with the medication you're taking."

"El, do you mind giving Mr. Solomons and me a moment alone?" He ignored the concern about the whiskey in his hand. He also failed to mention he wasn't taking the medication prescribed by the doctor.

She glanced at Alfie who looked similarly confused. But the Jewish man nodded subtly. "Okay..." She stood and left the room, heading downstairs to greet John, Arthur, and her cousin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tommy poured himself a drink and held out the bottle to Alfie. "Drink?"

"Nah, don't touch it, mate." Alfie tried to shake off the feeling of seeing Ella. He couldn't be in that mindset while conducting business, especially with someone as shrewd and cutthroat as Tommy. "Why'm I here, Tommy?" He asked bluntly.

"Do you know something, Alfie, This morning I tried to read the paper and I realized that the only consequence of my terrible accident is that I now need glasses."

Alfie furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. "Right..." He walked around the desk and sat down next to the Shelby man. "Well, I know a man who can make you a pair of these." He held up the glasses that always hung around his neck. "He's a magician, mate. Not only will you be able to read your newspaper but you will also be able to see the future. Now I know this, 'cause he made me this pair here. And I've seen what you've been up to." He leaned back and dropped his glasses. "You've been fucking with Russians, aye? Silly boy." He spat sternly.

Tommy just looked mildly amused. "If you can see the future, Mr. Solomons, then you'd know what I'm about to offer you next."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After greeting her brothers, Ella sat on the stairs fidgeting with the hem of her skirt. She couldn't hear what Tommy and Alfie were talking about and she was growing increasingly nervous.

There was the sound of a bell and a few moments later, John, Arthur, Michael, and Johnny came up from the kitchen. Johnny smiled and tousled her hair affectionately before entering the big room. She smiled weakly and stood up.

Arthur was last to walk in the room but after only half a second in there, he turned around to exit. His sister looked confused before she heard Tommy beckoning their eldest brother back inside.

He glanced at Ella for a moment, debating ignoring his brother. He huffed out a sigh before turning back around and going into the room, closing the door behind him.

Ella frowned and wondered if she was still asleep and just having a strange dream. What an odd day. She sat back down on the stairs and waited for the door to open again. Instead, less than five minutes later, she heard Arthur and John loudly protesting something.

"Are you fucking mad?"

"What the fuck? You're kidding, right? You're just having a laugh."

Alarmed, Ella stood up and reached for the door handle. It turned before she could get to it and Arthur threw open the door.

"Arthur, come back," Tommy commanded in a stern voice.

"No, you think this is a fucking game? You're going to hand her over like she's one of your horses?" He shouted in response.

"What's going on?" Ella demanded, raising her voice to be heard over them.

John looked ready to strangle Tommy. "They really fucked up tryna put that brain of yours back together!" He snarled.

Ella pushed her way into the study and saw Alfie sitting by the desk. The man looked out of words, something extremely rare in the presence of Tommy Shelby. He always seemed to have something to say to the Blinder. "What's going on?" She asked again.

"He's going to pawn you off like he did to me!" John answered angrily.

"What?"

Alfie slowly stood, his blue eyes flicking to her and back to Tommy. He simply shook his head and walked out of the room without another word.

"Tom..."

Her brother finished off a cigarette. "You're getting what you want, El. I've offered a union between the Camden Jews and us."

Ella's stomach dropped in realization. He was going through with what she mentioned to him. He was going to arrange her marriage to Alfie. "Wh-why?" She had no idea what to feel at that moment. So many emotions mixed together to create something inside that made her entire body go stiff.

"Because he's drunk with power!" Arthur yelled.

Tommy didn't seem too bothered by his brothers shouting left and right. He maintained eye contact with his sister. "Because I can't have him double-crossing me this time." He said steadily. "He's not going to fuck me over, not with so much on the line."

Confused tears started to form in her eyes. "So you're leveraging a deal with me as some collateral damage?"

"You wanted to be with him, you're getting your wish."

It infuriated her to no end that he kept his stony composure, not even showing a lick of emotion. "Fuck off." She spat and left the room before she further deepened the rift in their already fragile relationship.

She hurried outside to find Alfie walking towards his car waiting in the drive. "Alfie!"

He stopped and turned. "El, I don't know what to fucking say." He muttered in an apologetic tone. "I didn't know he'd pull something like this."

"Well, he didn't tell me either so that makes the two of us." Ella crossed her arms over her chest. "But I..." She sighed and shook her head. Her mind was a mess.

"I want to be with you, love." He whispered, his forehead creased in concern. "But I ain't doing it on Tommy Fucking Shelby's terms." He jabbed a finger angrily towards the house.

"W-we can do it on our terms." She stammered. "It doesn't matter what he says. We'll do it our own way!" She stepped towards him.

"You saw their fucking reaction, Ella!" He laughed bitterly and threw up his hands. "Think I want to marry into that? Not to mention you ain't even Jewish."

She recoiled a bit. "I didn't know that would be an issue."

Wearily, he ran a hand over his face. "There are a lot of issues, love. Lots of fucking issues. I can't...I need to take some time. Tell your brother I'll help him with the jewelry but as far as that there ain't anything else I can do right now." He opened the car door.

"So you're going to leave me here?" She demanded, her voice rising in pitch. "What does it matter what they think? When did Alfie Solomons care what other people thought?"

"Call me when you're back in London." He replied. As far as he was concerned, there was nothing else he could do. He loved Ella more than he could ever express to her. But he wasn't going to jump when Tommy Shelby commanded him to. There was no way he'd marry her in a business transaction.

So he closed the car door and instructed his driver to bring him back to London. Leaving Ella standing in the driveway.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.1K 537 8
────────────────── .Λšα΅Žβ”Šπ–Ώπ—‚π—‹π–Ύ ⋆.ೃ࿔:ο½₯❝ 𝑖 π‘‘π‘œπ‘›'𝑑 π‘€π‘Žπ‘›π‘‘ π‘‘π‘œ 𝑠𝑒𝑑 π‘‘π˜©π‘’ π‘€π‘œπ‘Ÿπ‘™π‘‘ π‘œπ‘› π‘“π‘–π‘Ÿπ‘’, 𝑖 𝑗𝑒𝑠𝑑 π‘€π‘Žπ‘›π‘‘ π‘‘π‘œ π‘ π‘‘π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘‘ π‘Ž 𝑓...
109K 3.1K 17
FOR THE ONE WHO STAYED ─ A peaky blinders fanfiction ━ IN WHICH, Elizabeth Shelby has to come to terms with the fact that sharing a name does not nec...
5.3K 105 10
Ainsley and Thomas Shelby, are madly, no, insatiably in love with each other. Ever since they were children. They went from fighting away bullies to...
96.6K 2.3K 34
Georgina Shelby is the oldest Shelby sibling. She has always protected her family with everything she had. When the boys where away to war, she took...