Sage (manxman)

By JustWriter

Ford Jones is a nerdy high school student, his friend Audrey can attest to that but between crushing after hi... More

Chapter 1 - As Still as a Statue
Chapter 2 - Beyond Belief
Chapter 3 - Catalyst
Chapter 4 - Deadly Darkness
Chapter 5 - Etherial
Chapter 6 - Fighting Fear
Chapter 7 - Good as Gone
Chapter 8 - Harrowing Times
Chapter 9 - Impending Doom
Chapter 11 - Killing Time
Chapter 12 - Losing Friends
Chapter 13 - More Storms
Chapter 14 - Newsworthy
Chapter 15 - On Fire
Chapter 16 - Pain and Power
Chapter 17 - Quarrel
Chapter 18 - Rising Tensions
Chapter 19 - Sacrifice
Chapter 20 - Together
Chapter 21 - Under the Cover of Darkness
Chapter 22 - Valiant
Chapter 23 - Watching You
Chapter 24 - X-Mas
Chapter 25 - You & Me
Chapter 26 - Zero Time
Epilogue

Chapter 10 - Jumping Trains

9.6K 341 68
By JustWriter

           Chatper 10 - Jumping Trains

 “You’re not staying at a hotel,” Ford insisted and opened the front door to his house and almost instantly Nancy was on top of him.  Walking in from the kitchen, Ford’s mother’s eyes were filled with questions.

            “Ford, you have finals next week and you are not ready for them at all. No going out… oh hello.” Nancy eyed Erin up and down.  She paused and pursed her lips in an accusatory way, “Are you two… studying?”

            “Actually, Erin is going to spend the night for a little bit,” Ford took the lead of the conversation knowing full well his mother wouldn’t be happy with it. “I met her when I went to that summer camp a few years ago. She was in town.”

            “And your parents are…” Nancy baited wondering why she had to take responsibility for this girl.

            Erin quickly saw her cue to jump in, “on a cruise.” Then instantly Ford saw it, Erin acting the part of a good girl, looks like Los Angeles rubbed off on her. “Nice to meet you Mrs. Jones, Ford has said so many nice thing,” Erin shook Nancy’s hand then continued not letting Ford’s mom speak. “Yeah I am traveling by myself across the country, visiting family in Utah.”

            “Are you not in school?” Was all Nancy could get out.

            “Yeah, a private one, we already ended.” Erin lied. “Start early. But listen, I didn’t know you had finals so I can just go stay at a hotel,” Erin looked to Ford then back to the front door.

            “No, it’s fine,” Nancy gave in. “I’ll turn out a bed in the guest room. But Erin, I hope you’ll understand if Ford can’t spend all his time with you this weekend.”

            “Totally understand, maybe I can help you study.” Erin gave a curt polite smile then nodded towards Nancy, “Thank you Mrs. Jones.”

            “Ford,” Nancy walked back into the kitchen, “show her the guest room.”

            Ford walked down the long hallway to a powder blue room, which looked more like it came from a home and garden book than the mind of Nancy.

            “She is intense,” Erin commented once she put down her small bag and looked around the room.

            “Tell me about it, so when is Lori coming in?” Ford got to the point as he motioned across the hall to the bathroom. “There is the bathroom.”

            “She wanted me to meet her at the Denver train station at 10:30pm,” Erin touched the bed sheets, “you shouldn’t get frustrated with your mom. I can tell she cares about you.”

            Ford was taken aback by Erin’s comment but just nodded and smiled. He started to leave the room when Erin added one more comment, “Sorry about the kitchen.”

            “Yeah,” Ford chuckled, “No worries, they think a bear did it.” The two stared at each other for a moment then laughed.

***

            Stepping off the train, Lori’s hair was longer. The red strands fell past her cheeks landing on her shoulder. One would never guess the power she contained or the maliciousness. Ford watched the two from

            “Lori!” Erin shouted running up to her mentor. She smiled and hugged the woman. Lori took a step back and moved some of Erin’s short hair out of the girl’s eyes.

            “Erin,” Lori smiled and quickly got to business, “How did it go?”

            “I haven’t found him yet,” Erin lied looking Lori in the eye.

            “That’s a shame,” Lori dropped her hands and adjusted her white blouse.

            “I think I am close, I found his-“ Erin started but was cut off by the older woman.

            “Stop,” Lori shook her head and her kind demeanor disappeared. The temperature started to drop, “Erin, I gave you this simple task and you have to lie to me.” Lori looked at Erin and frowned, “I know you fought him. I know he has probably positioned you against me.”

            “Lori, it’s not like that,” Erin tried to explain, “He told me you attacked his father.”

            “And you believed him?” Lori’s hand started to glow a pale blue and Erin’s eyes darted to it.

            She took a big breath and looked at the woman she trusted so much these past months. Suddenly, Erin felt like she didn’t really know her all that well, “Yes.”

            “I took care of you Erin!” Lori shouted angrily.

            “Lori, I need to ask you something,” Erin breathed deeply finding the courage to speak, “Did you cause the car accident my parents were in?”

            “No Erin, I didn’t,” Lori spoke and the temperature continued to drop. So much so that her breath could be seen escaping her mouth. “But you seem eager to crucify me.”

            “Almost as eager as you were to recruit me for your special little army of Sage,” Erin rebutted.

            Lori pointed her arm out and smirked. She sent an icy cold blast at Erin. Jumping aside, Erin dodged the blast. Instantly Ford jumped out of his hiding spot and sprinted towards Lori. He forced a strong gust of wind knocking Lori down.

            “You should have stayed dead,” Ford commented staring down Lori.

            “And he shows his face,” Lori turns her hand to ice, showing that when she melted into snow in their prior battle it was just her skill rather than an actual loss.  Turning her attention back to Erin, Lori started to plea, “Erin, I have been with you for a while.”

            “And you asked me to kill an innocent guy,” Erin added looking to Ford then back to Lori.

            “Tell the truth Lori,” Ford balled his fist and wind started to rustle everyone’s hair. The lights flickered. To a passerby no one would have guessed what was going on between the three. No one could have fathomed the power that was contained in these three people.

            “The truth is I have given both of you too many chances.” Lori looked at Erin and smiled. “If you think I’m bad, wait and see what’s coming. It will make me look like nothing.”

            Erin was suddenly taken aback. The woman she knew was all an act, she was finally seeing the monster behind the mask.

            “I won’t let you get away this time,” Ford growled and the wind picked up even more.

            “And you’re going to kill me Ford?” Lori scoffed. “Please, I’m not some monster in the dark.” Lori took a step towards the two and Erin instantly looks  a fighting stance. “Plus, two against one isn’t fair, so I took some precautions against this. I have someone you love Ford, very dearly.”

            “If you hurt anyone I care about again,” Ford shouted taking a fighting stance as well.  

            “It depends how fast you are.” Lori continued to approach the two; her heels clicking on the cement. “I’m sure you’re familiar with 1801 California Street.” Lori smirked. Ford knew that building well; it was one of the tallest ones in Denver. “You are, well, if you get there before the ice melts…he’ll live,” Lori looked Ford in the eye. If not, well, at least he’ll have a great view before he dies.”

            Ford glanced at Erin his eyes panicked with fear. He spun around on the balls of his feet and darted off the opposite direction. His mind raced to his father and he knew that that was a target that Lori liked to go after.

            “Lori what are you doing?” Erin made a small dagger appear in her hand. She knew that this was the real Lori finally surfacing. Smart, calculating and cold.  

            “What it takes to survive, I taught you that.” Lori closed her eyes then opened them revealing now deep icy blue irises. “I won’t let him take you from me.”

            “I’m not your Lori, I never was,” Erin created one more dagger in her other hand. “And after this little stunt. No way I am following you again.”

            “And so the student seeks to kill the teacher. Lovely,” Lori sent another icy blast at Erin. Erin cart wheeled out of the way and threw both her daggers toward Lori.

            Lori jumped into the air dodging the two blades. She landed on the roof of then nearby train.

***

            Stepping out of the cab Ford looked up the side of the tall building. He was in downtown Denver and this building was the second tallest building of the Denver skyline. He kept retracing the days prior in his mind and wondered when Lori was spying on him. He should have guessed she would do something like this. Then, he spotted it. Near the 40th floor, sticking to the building was a tomb of ice.

            Running inside, he ran past the security station and to the elevator. He must have had some time, but ice was tricky. He remembered during the summer freezing juice in the freezer and seeing the chunk melt away in the hot sun before he could finish it.

            The elevator dinged and the floor opened. It was cold; Lori had frozen everything, the desks the computers, and some people frozen all the way through. Trying to ignore the dead bodies Ford stepped onto the chunks of melting ice. Moving into one of the offices Ford noticed a thick sheet of ice covering one of the windows. Through it, on the other side was a figure of a man passed out on the cage sticking to the building. Ford looked around him and saw a chair. He grabbed it and started hitting the ice, chipping the melting sheet slowly.

            “Come on,” Ford whispered and smashed the chair into the ice shattering it. Then he saw it, it wasn’t his father Lori had kidnapped, and it was Levi. Almost instantly, Levi began stir and opened his eyes.

            “Ford,” Levi started to sit up then slipped. Then the jock noticed things were not all right. “Ford, what is going on?” Levi was awake now. He looked down as the ice began to spider web.

            “Just, try and crawled over to me, Ford held out and outstretched hand.

            “I can’t,” Levi struggled and looked at his feet, which were bound with icy cuffs to the floor of the cage.

            Ford then knew. He wasn’t supposed to save Levi. He was supposed to watch him die. The construction of the cage wasn’t built so that Levi could escape; it was built so Ford could watch. Ford’s heart sunk in his chest. Levi wasn’t part of this, he was a once night stand.

            Crack, the ice gave way and Levi began to fall. Ford did the only think he could think off. He jumped out after Levi. He caught up to the jock after only a few floor of falling. Levin instantly grabbed onto Ford.  Wind rushed past the both of them. Ford wished he had the power to save Levi and focused all his energy up from the ground.

            Then, suddenly, Ford felt it, a surge of energy, an ascension to the next level of his sage power. He was flying. Lifting up into the air Ford floated between the buildings and landed on the rooftop of another. Levi let go of Ford and took a step back his eyes in awe.

            “Ford, you’re an angel.” Levi whispered.

            Ford had wings, golden brown wings out of his back. Then, just like that, they faded away with the burst of energy and Ford felt suddenly weak and tired.

***

Erin fell backwards onto the train tracks. Lori and her had been fighting and both were bruised and bloody. A nearby train crossing started to flash red and sound as the gates lowered. Lori created an icy spike and it floated near her as she approached Erin.

“Funny,” Lori commented. “It’s almost poetic really, both you and your parents die by something in transit, cars…trains….”

“You’re sick.”

“Maybe, but you know what it’s like to feel this power.”

Then Erin hopped up and created a long metal chain in her hand. She flung it out an it wrapped around Lori. Yanking it back, Erin jumped out of the way. Instantly, the oncoming train smashed into Lori. Blood splatter across the area and the sound of screeching breaks shrieked out.

Lori was dead, really this time. Erin needed to get out of here before the train stopped. As she walked away from the stop she started to cry, releasing all of the pain and anger that Lori called love.

***

            “I think it’s a gift,” Levi commented as the two waited on the platform at the train station. He sat down on the bench next to Ford and put his arm around the guy. Ford then shrugged off Levi’s arm and looked at the handsome jock. Levi had a little bit of stubble and then up to his lips, which curved down a bit in anticipation.

            “Levi, I’m sorry, I” Ford started and he saw the worry behind Levi’s eyes.  He took a deep breath and realized he couldn’t say it. Not yet, he didn’t have the courage. Then, stepping up from the tracks, Erin walked over too the two. She had blood on her shirt but had cleaned up her face.

            “She’s dead,” Erin’s voice was soft, defeated in a way.

            Ford looked Erin in the eyes and the softness that he saw before was all gone. He stood up and opened his arms to hug her. Erin shook her head no and then looked up at the train board. The next train was arriving at seven am, in three hours.

            “I’m going to go. Can I get my bag from your car?” Erin asked.

            Ford nodded and then motioned to Levi to wait. Levi remained seated and both Erin and Ford walked back to his truck and opened it. Reaching in he pulled the rut sack from the passenger seat and handed it to Erin.

            “You’re going to have to kill someone sometime,” Erin started looking at Ford. “Not everyone is going to want to be your friend.”

            Ford let out a deep breath and nodded. He knew that one day Erin’s words would ring true but he hoped that they wouldn’t. Erin took her bag and walked back with Ford to the train station.

            On the ride home with Levi, Ford was quiet mostly, Erin’s words still ringing in his head and the look in her eyes glaring into his soul. By the time Ford pulled up in front of Levi’s house he turned to the jock who had spent the ride looking out the window filled with his on thoughts and worries.

            “I won’t tell anyone Ford,” Levi said opening the door. He reached his muscled arm over and pulled Ford close. Levi kissed the boy but felt Ford’s lips drop. Levi felt a hand on his chest push him away and Levi looked at Ford. At that moment, Ford did the worst thing he could have to Levi, he looked away. Levi felt his throat become tighter and tears welled up in his eyes. But he wouldn’t let Ford see this. He stepped out of the truck and shut the door.

***

            Parking in front of his house, Ford got out of his car and walked to the front door. The sun would be up soon and so would his parents. Trying to be as quiet as he could, Ford slid his house key into the lock. Stepping inside he instantly knew he was in trouble. The kitchen light was on, moving past some of the damage from earlier he looked in the kitchen. His mother was sitting at the kitchen table. She shook her head and had a glass of wine in front of her.

            “I was thinking what I would ask you when you walked in,” Nancy stirred the wine in her glass. Ford wondered if it was her first one, or her second bottle.

            “I’m sorry,” Ford said too weakly to fight.

            “Stop,” Nancy put up a hand silencing her son. She stood up tightening her night robe. “Your father and I don’t know what to do with you and I don’t want to hear any lies. So, just go to bed.”

            “I’m sorry,” Ford gulped.

            “So am I Ford, so am I,” Nancy shook her head and moved over to the sink. The broken kitchen window was covered with plastic.

***

            Ford was the last one to leave the classroom. He had studied all weekend and he knew all the answers but his mind was all over the place. The history final wasn’t that difficult. The last question was even more so open ended. Finishing the answer he stood up. Walking past the empty rows, Ford stopped in front of Mr. Lenoir’s desk. The handsome history teacher looked up at Ford smiling.

            “Did you have enough time?” Mr. Lenoir took the final from Ford and put it in the pile of finished tests.

            Ford looked around the classroom, “Yeah, plenty of time.”

            “Well, I have some good news for you,” Mr. Lenoir smiled. Ford looked into the teacher’s eyes feeling the attraction build. “I spoke with your parents. They said you could go. We’re going to go to England!”

            Ford must have looked sad; indeed the answer he wanted was more that his parents didn’t want to see him for two weeks. He wanted Mr. Lenoir to say that he loved him, which he would take care of him, that someone out that cared enough to make all this pain go away.

            “Aren’t you happy.”

            “Yeah, I am, I just…” Ford felt his stomach twist and he wanted to tell him; he wanted to tell Mr. Lenoir how he felt. “Mr. Lenoir, I’ve really enjoyed your class. I’ve also really enjoyed helping you out after class.”

            “Yeah, I really enjoyed working with you too.”

            “But, I just,  I’m gay and….” Ford thought his heart was going to jump out of his chest. “and…you…are,” Ford couldn’t get the words out and he couldn’t look Mr. Lenoir in the face. He was just too nervous.

            “I’m not gay,” Mr. Lenoir answered before Ford could finish. “But, if you’d like, I could arrange something with the on campus therapist so you can speak to her about it.”

            Ford shook his head no and walked out of the room. He couldn’t look at the teacher anymore. In a way he felt heartbroken. Moving through the hallways of the campus, Ford arrived outside the ceramics room, his last test before summer.

            Stepping inside, he was the only student in the class. Everyone else had taken his or her finals already. Indeed it was the last day before freedom for a few months. Ms. Royce exited the back room wiping some clay dust from her hands.

            “No one came to pick up their pots!” She laughed, “I will just have to sell them. I think Hudson made a bong.” She then noticed the distress in Ford’s eyes.  “Are you all right?”

            “I can’t,” Ford started crying the stress of the past week getting to him. “I can’t spin a pot Ms. Royce. And I never will be able to make it work. It’s too hard.” Ford couldn’t control himself and felt so embarrassed and sad about everything. He sat down at one of the workstations and put his head in his arms weeping to himself.

            Then there was a hand on his back, a soft hand patting his shoulder, “It’s hard, spinning a pot and making things work. Clay doesn’t always move the way you want it to. But if you give it enough time and patients, you can always mold it back.”

            Ford sat up and looked at his teacher’s kind face and crooked smile, “I just feel like I’ve ruined my whole life.”
            “You haven’t,” Ms. Royce waddled back to her desk patting her hip as she moved. She opened it and pulled out a jolly rancher. “Now have a piece of candy and spin an amazing pot.”

            Ford dried his tears from his eyes and took the piece of candy from Ms. Royce. He calmed down and before he knew it, he spun a pot and got an A on his ceramics final. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

340 28 7
Contrary to popular belief, hell really does exist on earth. More specifically, it exists in the American public high school system. If you aren't on...
8.7K 436 16
His mother ignores him, his cousins look down on him and he's bullied at school to the point that he doesn't want to go any longer. Yogi Luthor shou...
24K 705 30
Liam has had it rough all his life. A father with a new family who wants nothing to do with him. A drug addicted mother with an abusive boyfriend. A...