The General's Wife

By kakpie291203

Jade-Lily Bo'ehr is the wife of the General of the army of Tsuchengko. Everyone is in danger due to a growin... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 9
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Author's Note

Chapter 47

642 45 2
By kakpie291203

IT had been days before Arlo received the response from the Qarinian Queen.

He came to the infirmary with Arianna, Iressa and Ada. Even Elize was hovering anxiously in the room.

Lily had been talking to Adrian when they walked in—he wasn't hurt that bad, but the healers had wanted to keep him in just in case—each with expressions with various degrees of worry. She saw Arlo's grave face and immediately understood.

"Did the Queen agree?" She asked, pursing her lips tightly. She could already feel her hands shaking, and she hid them beneath the blanket.

Arlo gave her a nod. "You're going to Qarini, Lily."

Iressa gave Lily a long look. She'd made up her mind to leave as well, no matter how much the others tried to dissuade her.

Lily nodded, letting out a shaky breath. She'd been expecting it, but it didn't make it hurt any less. "I'm going to the bathroom," she murmured.

No one moved as she got out of bed, wincing at the stiffness in her torso, and carefully walked over to the bathroom. She locked the door behind herself and leaned against it, staring at herself in the mirror.

She looked so different now. Her hair, so short, so different. Skin a bit more tanned. Bloodshot eyes with dark circles under them—nightmares kept her up half the night.

She sank slowly to the floor, curling her knees up to her chest. That hollow feeling where her heart was supposed to be—it was becoming more and more common. The only other emotion she could muster up was sadness.

She sighed. First her family and Hosun, now her family here. It wasn't ever going to end. Maybe this was how it was going to be. Losing people over and over. Now that she was exiled, maybe she'd keep getting shuffled around from country to country.

She could hear the others talking outside—muffled voices that said how devastated they were, how worried they were for her. They all cared for her, despite knowing her for such a short time.

Lily swallowed down a sob and stared at the ceiling under the tears blurring her vision faded. She took a deep breath and stood up. She opened the door.

All conversation in the room fell silent when she stepped out, everyone's concerned faces turned towards her.

Lily forced a small smile. "I'm fine." She walked to her bed and sat on the edge gingerly, glancing down.

Arianna sat beside her and put her hand over Lily's. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be," Lily said, still looking at the floor. "It's not your fault."

"Well—we feel like it is," Arlo said, sitting on Lily's other side. "I should have put some protection around you. I can't believe I didn't think of it."

Lily shrugged. "They would have killed whoever you'd tasked with protecting me."

"Still." Arlo let out a heavy breath. "Now, you and Iri are leaving. We might never see you again."

Lily winced.

"I'm sure we will," Arianna said, her fingers tightening around Lily's. "This can't be goodbye. When all this blows over, you can come right back. You'll always be welcome here."

Lily lifted her head just a bit and looked at Adrian. In his eyes, she saw her own thoughts. This wouldn't all blow over so soon. No, it might be years—many years—before they could defeat the Gongjensu.

This could be goodbye.

He sniffed loudly and cleared his throat, looking away. Lily resumed her stare at the floor.

"Is she—can she leave the infirmary?" Ada asked.

Lily looked at Elize when the healer answered.

"Well—yes," Elize said, albeit hesitantly. "But nothing strenuous, you hear me? Short walks and some fresh air might do you good."

"That's settled, then," Ada said, clapping her hands together in a clear effort to lighten the mood. "Lily, come on. We're not letting you out of our sight for the next few days."

Lily nodded at her and turned to Arlo. "When will I leave?"

He chewed on his lower lip. "A week."

Lily sucked in a breath. A week. More than she could have hoped for—but still so little time left with these people.

"We should have a bonfire soon," Ada said, a little too cheerily. "Arlo?"

"That—That's a good idea," Arlo said. "I'll plan one soon. In your honor."

"Are you sure?" Lily asked. "Wouldn't it be...disrespectful?" To Vena, who'd just lost her twin. To so many others.

Arlo gave her a small smile. "No. It wouldn't, Lily. Everyone will understand."

He exchanged a look with Arianna and stood up. "In fact, I'll get to planning it now. Anna?"

Arianna smiled. "I'll take a break from work for a week, alright?"

Arlo bent and gave her a short kiss, the little gesture making Lily's heart twinge. "Of course." He gave Lily a smile. "I'll see you later, sister."

Lily watched him walk out. He glanced back twice.

"Lily, you should get dressed," Ada said, smiling though her eyes were teary. "We'll go out now. Adrian, you too. It's such nice weather."

It was almost drizzling, but Lily didn't argue.

"I'll help you change," Elize said quietly.

Lily nodded, and the others filed out. Adrian closed his eyes and turned over onto his side to face the wall.

"Lily—I'm so sorry," he said, his eyes still closed.

"Wasn't your fault," Lily murmured, slipping out of her dress.

"No. But I should've realized. Now you have to leave, for your safety and ours."

"Ours?" Lily repeated. A moment later, she understood. "Oh."

If the Gongjensu came for her again, the entire settlement would be in danger. They couldn't live under that threat again, not when they'd just gotten out of it.

"Right. But—Qarini won't be that bad, right? I'm sure they'll treat you well—you'll be a guest of the Queen's."

"The royal life," Lily murmured dryly. "I suppose that's something to look forward to."

"Well, maybe you can look forward to seeing snow," Adrian said.

"Ooh, that'll be nice," Elize said, helping Lily slip her arms through the dress. "I've never seen snow."

"Only the north of Tropican has, I believe," Adrian said. "That's our northernmost city," he added, probably for Lily's benefit.

"I've heard Qarini's beautiful," Elize said, tying up laces at the back of Lily's dress.

"So is Arrian," Lily murmured. When Elize shot her a concerned look, she smiled softly. "It really is."

"Well, that it is," Elize said, nodding. She stood in front of Lily. "There. You're done."

"Thank you," Lily said.

"Can I look now?" Adrian asked, turning over.

"You can," Elize said, "And sit up, I need to give you your medicine as well."

Adrian complied, glancing at Lily while Elize filled another cup with a more yellowish liquid.

"Why don't I get the one Lily does?" Adrian said, taking the cup from her.

"Because Lily is under more pain, and that medicine will put her to sleep. I was of the belief that you were planning to go for a walk now," Elize explained patiently.

"And you were correct," Adrian murmured, before downing the cup in one go. He made a face.

"Now, I'm assuming you can change on your own," Elize said, looking at him pointedly, "So, I'll take Lily out. Come out when you're ready."

Adrian nodded seriously now, as if he saw this as what it truly was—an attempt to give him some privacy and some time to himself to gather his thoughts. For the past few days, he'd been cooped up in here with Lily, and while she knew that they were good friends, she also knew that Adrian needed his own space.

"Come," Elize murmured. She took Lily's hand lightly—not like she thought Lily needed to lean on it, just there, in case Lily decided she did. Lily liked that. She was glad Elize was her healer.

Ada, Iressa and Arianna were waiting outside.

"Hey," Lily said, making them look up. She noticed the red-rimmed eyes and distinctively splotchy faces, but said nothing.

"Where's Adrian?" Ada asked, glancing at the shut door behind them.

"Changing," Elize said, with a tilt of her head, "It might take a while."

"How are you feeling?" Arianna asked, her eyes flickering to Lily's torso. "How's the pain?"

"Not bad," Lily said quickly.

Arianna raised an eyebrow. "I can tell when you're lying."

"How?" Lily asked, scrunching her nose. She'd been a good double agent in the Gongjensu. Mostly. The thought sent another pang through her, so she pushed it away and focused on Arianna again.

The girl shrugged. "I just can. And I have experience going through injuries, you know." She shook her hurt leg for extra emphasis.

"Fine." Lily exhaled. "The pain is manageable."

"She can walk, right?" Arianna asked, directing the question to Elize.

Elize nodded, giving Lily a stern look. "No running, or jumping. Take breaks when you need to, listen to your body if you want to get better."

Lily fought the urge to salute at her. "Yes, ma'am."

Elize nodded. "Now, I need to get going. Have fun." She bobbed her head and scurried away, presumably to her other patients.

"Where do you want to go?" Iressa asked, after a moment.

Lily shrugged. "Just—take a walk. In the forest. It'll be nice to be outside again."

"You do look pale," Ada said, frowning. "Some sunlight will do you good."

Pale? The thought almost made Lily smile. "Didn't you see me when I came here?"

"Oh, you weren't pale then, you were just white. Pasty," Ada said, matter-of-factly.

"Like the sun," Iressa added.

"This is much better," Arianna concluded, waving a hand at Lily.

Lily huffed out a kind-of laugh. "Alright, I get it. I'm never going to be as tanned as you, you know."

Iressa shrugged, the corners of her lips tilting up a bit. "Well, you certainly weren't born for that. You look better like this. Pretty."

"Thank you," Lily said, a bit taken aback. Iressa didn't usually praise anyone's physical appearance.

Iressa gave her a crooked grin. "Don't get used to it. I'm only complimenting you because Ada said you looked pasty."

This time Lily did let out a laugh—and then felt guilty for it immediately afterwards. Her stomach churned, her thoughts immediately shooting to Vena and what she would think if she saw Lily, here, laughing.

She swallowed and painted a smile over her face before they could notice. "Well, I'm honored."

Iressa's eyes narrowed, but before she could say anything, the door opened and Adrian stepped out in fresh clothes.

"How do I look?" He asked, gesturing to his face. He'd taken the bandages off himself just a few hours ago. Elize hadn't been happy with that, but Adrian had insisted and said they were too itchy.

So the wound was exposed, an ugly mass of yellow and purple bruises and dried blood on his forehead so gruesome Lily couldn't look.

She was pretty sure Elize was going to wrestle the bandages back on him while he was asleep.

Ada made a face. "Ick."

"And you still smell," Lily added.

He gave them an offended look. "You don't say that to someone who's wounded!"

"You'll live," Ada said dryly, but Lily didn't miss the flicker of panic in her eyes. Ada covered it up well, though. "Let's go out now, it's so stuffy here. I don't know how you manage to stay here all day."

"Exactly," Adrian said, as they began walking. "That's what I've been saying." He had, in fact, been begging to go out for days. Elize had refused. Their mutual stubbornness was impressive, but finally Elize had relented because he was healing well.

As soon as Lily stepped outside, she stopped hearing the conversation. She could feel the wind blowing on her face again, the sun shining brighter than ever.

Summer was approaching, and she could feel it in the air, in the warmth of the light on her skin. Everything was so bright and fresh and alive, nothing like the infirmary and its little rooms.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Adrian said quietly.

Lily hadn't noticed him come up beside her, but she nodded. "I didn't think I would miss in just a few days. Now..."

Adrian gave her a small, sad smile. "Now, all we can do is enjoy the time we have."

Lily nodded and forced a small smile onto her own face, the smile becoming more real as she watched Ada and Iressa begin bickering. She caught Arianna's eye. Her sister smile back at her, and Lily let some of the sorrow wash away in the bright sunlight.

Right now, she was with her family, her friends, and if she only had days left, then she was going to be happy.

It was what Hosun had wanted, anyways. For to be happy. And she knew that here, her friends wanted the same thing.

So, for now, she would be happy.

No matter how hard it was.

TBH, not that happy with it. Or any of the chapters after Venix's death. It's kind of my fault, because I didn't plot it well—I've kind of been writing randomly since then, I thought I would figure out what I wanted to happen by the time I got here, but clearly, I didn't.

That was a serious confession, but luckily—I can always edit. Anyway—Don't forget to:

Vote!

Comment!

Share!

And thanks for reading! :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 238 40
**Completed** **In the Process of Editing** In a world where music is against the law, Creak, a young musician, finds herself as one of the king's ta...
1.5K 73 12
A Necromancer without a soulmate A Crown Prince plagued with nightmarish visions A Mage unable to let go of the past ** Diya, the Crown Prince's b...
82.8K 5.7K 20
Destiny is not guaranteed. It is not written. It is earned. It is lived. After leaving behind everything she has ever known, a series of events finds...
1.4K 61 13
Falling into a raging river while running away from a marriage she don't want, Kiro dies and is reborn into Mo Dao Zu Shi world, where she was convic...