Punctual

By Therapysession37

Being perfect isn't easy, but that doesn't keep Sayako from trying. Perpetually burnt out from the need to be... More

Punctual (Part Two)
Punctual (Part Three)
Punctual (Part Four)
Punctual (Part Five)
Punctual (Part Six)
Punctual (Part Seven)
Punctual (Part Eight)
Punctual (Part Nine)
Punctual (Part Ten)
Punctual (Part Eleven)

Punctual

1K 7 5
By Therapysession37

It's going to start off rather slow.

-----

Insomnia. It seems to have taken a liking to me these past couple of weeks.

When I am alone in the dark, every single insignificant noise is magnified tenfold. Cricket chirps transform into thunderous claps; the noise of cool air being pumped through the vents mixes in with the constant hum of electricity to create a cacophony akin to a windstorm.

My head hurts. I want to sleep.

-----

I have a temper. And a rather bad one, at that. I’m just very good at hiding it.

Usually.

“You’re going to be late, you know.”

I narrow my eyes in an attempt to block out the sunlight flooding through the window, sitting up as my mother’s face, wide-eyed and expectant, comes into focus. I groan slightly and fall back onto my pillow.

“I know.” A line forms in between my eyebrows as I wrinkle my forehead.

-----

I am never late. Not ever. I have exactly eight minutes before the first bell rings and I am fully prepared to do anything in order to maintain my perfect record. Anything. I’ll consider it even if it’s illegal.

The school gate comes into view. I skid to a full stop, adjusting my uniform, hair, knee socks, everything, wiping off a few specks of dirt from my scuff-free leather loafers and discarding the tissue in a nearby waste bin. Digging into my schoolbag, I whip out a compact and double-check my reflection, flashing the mirror a perfectly executed photo-ready smile to make sure there is nothing in my teeth. I wipe the smirk from my face before hurrying into the school entrance just as the warning bell rings.

Perfect.

-----

I’m also rather selfish. And impatient. I'm really just a no-good, all-around horrible person.

“Hiyashi-san!”

I swivel around to meet the mousy-haired girl currently invading my extremely precious personal space by waving the class worksheet in my face. I give her a gentle smile, prompting the girl to continue.

Armed with a graphing calculator and a brand new mechanical pencil, it takes me over half the lunch period to re-teach my classmate what we had just learned in the previous lesson. She thanks me furiously as I wave away her gratefulness, smiling all the while.

I can feel my blood pressure skyrocketing. I think it’s time for lunch.

-----

The blood orange rays seep slowly through my bedroom curtains, signaling another day when I am awake before the sun. Under the covers, I eye the open textbooks littering my bedspread and sigh in annoyance as I slip off my reading glasses.

I don’t realize how many hours I spend wide-awake, staring at the ceiling until my mother comes, knocking on my door to wake me up.

“Sayako-chan! You’re going to be late if you don’t hurry!”

“I know, I know!”

Not moving from under the bedspread, I take a moment to close my slightly puffy eyes and smile.

Because I am never late. Not ever. And I am fully prepared to do anything to maintain my perfect record.

-----

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19 0 1
In an Attempt to move on, Katelynn has to look back on her life and realize that some things are worth giving up, while some things are worth fightin...
154K 5.5K 20
Things had officially gone to shit. With the guilt of Princess Yue's death on (Y/n)'s mind, she finds it conflicting to come to terms with her feelin...
95 2 16
Katana's been through a lot and just when she thinks it's all about to end, it only begins. She takes the opportunity to make a new life on her own...
15K 451 66
A rather self-proclaimed perfect person, in her eyes she could do no wrong and no matter what everyone will come to adore the ground she steps on, if...