Things Change

By mrsmalfoy818

Hermione and Draco are forced into close proximity when they are made Head Prefects that share a common room... More

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Epilogue

Chapter 36

3.6K 104 11
By mrsmalfoy818

*The rest of the chapter is finally up! Hope you like!*

"That's the girl from-"

"I know that but-"

"What is she doing here-"

There was a cough from across the room, and the two whipped their heads around to see who was there.

"Yes, Professor?" The female asked.

"May I speak with you two?"

"Er, yeah, of course."

"Good."

Hermione's POV

"Er, what was it that you, uh, wanted to talk to us about?"

"Well, I came here to talk about Elizabeth."

I gave him a shut up look and said, "What about her, Professor?"

"Well, there was a reason Miss Revay was sent here."

She was silent for a while, and Draco was itching to say something.

"She is, um, how do I put this? She doesn't fit in at her other school, she's not Beauxbatons material. Do you know what I'm saying?" We both nodded. "She didn't get along with the girls there so her parents thought it would be best to send her here. Anyway, as Head Prefects, I expect you to try your hardest to help her fit in. She didn't feel comfortable being sorted, so I thought she could just stick around you two, and you can help her. Can you do that?"

"Yes, Professor," Draco said immediately. "We can do that. Was that all?"

She looked around then back at us. She nodded her head.

Once she was at the potrait hole, I said, "Good night, Professor."

"Good night, Miss Granger, Mister Malfoy."

Once the potrait clicked shut, Draco let out a sigh. "That was a close one. How long do you think she was standing there, anyway?"

"Hopefully not long," I replied. "I just hope that all of this is a coincidence."

"Me too," he sighed.

No POV

Things were like a routine now; everyday basically the same. It was something like this;

Hermione would usually get up first, get ready and all that jazz. Then she'd wake Draco up. After both of them we're ready, Hermione would say goodbye with a quick peck on the cheek, and then leave first. Usually, as she was sitting down, Draco would come in. She would catch his eye, and give him a look only he would see. Out in public, they tried not to stare at each other - no one needed to get suspicious - it was almost like nothing ever happened when other people were around, and that was fine.

Classes were different depending on the day, but Gryffindor and Slytherin had most classes together. Hermione took far more classes than Draco, but he took a fair amount too. Like, Care of Magical Creatures (which is surprising considering his "traumatic experience"), Arithmacy, Ancient Ruins, and Advanced Potions, not to mention the others. Hermione took just about everything, except Divination.

She had always planned to tell him about the time turner but it never came up. It wasn't really that important, was it?

Most days, they had a free period together. If they did, they would hurry to the common room. Sometimes they would study, or read, or just sit with each other. Somedays it was nice to just be with each other.

During meals they would try not to look at each other. So basically Hermione had two lives now, Draco kind of did but he didn't have to worry as much.

Nights were spent together in the common room, unless Hermione was invited somewhere. Draco was a little annoyed that she spent so much time with her friends, that she had such fun times without him. I guess you could say he was jealous.

Things had been workingfine for a few months now, but it was all ready to collapse.

A week or so ago, he had gotten a letter. The letter brought him back to reality. He realized what was coming, that life wouldn't be full of puppies and rainbows anymore. It was about to go down.

He'd been putting it off for days now, he wasn't quite sure why. He told himself that it was for her, but in all honesty, it was for him. He didn't want to do this, it just wasn't supposed to happen now. Not now when everything was finally going his way. But he couldn't put it off any longer, today he had to do it.

Hermione walked into the common room on the sixth of February, happier than can be, not aware of what was about to happen. Just this morning she had been thinking. Thinking about how depressed she was and awful things were at the beginning of the school year, but how things started looking up the mokent she started talking to Draco. So maybe she'd actually liked him longer than she knew. He had made things seem so much better, and she hoped she had done the same for him.

Things had been working well for months now. But it would all come crashing down soon enough.

He had gotten a letter about a week or so ago, telling him what was going to happen. He'd been putting it off for days now. He kept telling himself that it was for her but in all honesty, it was for him. He didn't want to do this, it wasn't supposed to happen to him. He'd already suffered enough, and why now? Now, when everything was finally going his way? It brought him back to reality. His moment of happiness was gone from here on out.

Hermione walked merrily into the common room for their free period together. She had arrived first because Draco had to stay behind to explain to Flitwick why he hadn't done his homework. It was technically Hermione's fault but he wouldn't blame her and he couldn't either.

When Draco finally did make it into the common room, Hermione latched her hands around his neck, stood on her tip-toes so she could reach, and brought her lips to his. Right away, she realized something was wrong. He was stiff under her touch, and didn't participate. He would usually run a hand through her hair, or brush a finger across her cheek that would make her shiver, but he did nothing. She pulled back to look at him.

If you looked closely, he was different. He was more pale than usually, his eyes weren't the grey they have been lately, they were like a dead gray, and he looked petrified.

She look at him questioningly abd opened her mouth to speak bit he shook his head. He walked by her and sat on the couch. Hermione came and sat next to him, but there was still space in between them. He was glad for that because she could distract him so easily, just one touch, and that was the last thing he needed.

He took a deep breath and looked deep into her eyes. His cold etes made the brunette shiver, it was like they were piercing through your soul, like they could see straight through you. She was worried now, but she still didn't push him. She knew better.

"We need to talk," he said eventually. He was quiet for a long time again. He was watching her. Taking in her every movement. He would miss the feel of her hands on him, the tingle her lips left on his. He would miss her.

"We," he started, "us, it can't happen."

"What," Hermione asked, staring at the blonde in shock. Slowly, her face matched her emotions. "What," she asked a little more quietly.

"I'm sorry," the pale boy whispered.

"No," she said softly as a tear rolled down her cheek. "No," she repeated, standing up and wiping her cheek.

Draco stood up too, but he wasn't sure why.

"You can't do this," Hermione almost screamed, advancing toward Draco. "This is exactly what you promised not to do!" Tears rolled down her rosy cheeks as she screamed at Malfoy. "You. Promised. That. You. Wouldn't. Do. This!" She said in between the punches she directed at his chest. They didn't hurt much, but it made her feel better. "Did this mean nothing to you?" she asked, gesturing around. "Was this all some sick joke? What was this? You know what, nevermind, I don't want to know!" She shoved his shoulder. "I just thought this meant something," she whispered sitting back down. "I just thought that I meant something." She silently started to cry again.

Draco had so many feelings rushing through him. He knew that it had to be done, but actually doing it was a whole other thing. He had this pain, right above his stomach, and it was awful. It was that kind of pain where you know there no stopping it, you just had to let it be. But this was different, it felt like someone was ripping his insides out. This was a hint to the thing he didn't want to accept. He looked at the pain he was causing Hermione and he felt pain himself, that had never happened before. He walked over to Hermione.

Just one last time, he thought.

He gently tilted her head to meet his and he quickly brought his lips to hers.

She was reluctant at first but she let go. He gave her everything in that last kiss. Told her what had to be told. Made her feel what needed to be felt. He hoped she got the message he was trying to send across.

She pulled away from the satly, wet kiss. Both were breathing heavy, Hermione a little worse because she was still skightly crying.

She had a hopeful look in her eye, like maybe the kiss meant that he had changed his mind. But she knew he hadn't. She put her head into her hands so she wouldn't have to look at him

Draco thought about telling her something, about why he had to do it, but he decided not to. He had to say goodbye now or else he wouldn't be able to. The kiss had made it hard enough, but it had to be now.

As tears rolled down his cheeks, the ones he'd been trying so hard to hold in, he turned toward the hall that led to the portrait hole.

At the doorway into the hall, he turned around and looked at her through his blurry eyes. Yes, he had been right. Even though he didn't want it to be true, he accepted the fact. And that was a big step for the arrogant boy, to feel that way for someone other than himself.

Hermione would never here what he said, and he never wanted her too. He said it because he had to hear it for himself. Hearing it made it real.

So Hermione never heard him whisper those words, the only reason she knew that he had left, was the soft click of the portrait shutting.

The words seemed to hang in the air, but no one was supposed to hear. You could almost here the smirk in his voice. "I think I love you, Granger."

*A/N*

So you probably all hate me for the wait, but I finally figured out what was wrong. Anyway, I'm sorry they broke up, but it has to be this way ;) Btw, I know I don't mention Elizabeth "Ella" Revay much, but I will soon, I didn't forget about her. I hoped you liked it, because it took me so long and I had to rewrite it about six times so... COMMENT AND VOTE! :*

"Sometimes it's not the butterflies that tell you you're in love, but the pain."

/OxMrsMalfoyxO\

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.7K 617 24
Draco and Harry never had a petty rivalry in Hogwarts. Instead of being repulsed by Hermione as Harry's best friend, he's intrigued by the smartest...
159K 2.4K 46
Draco Malfoy enemies to lovers story. Y/n and Draco are told that they have an arranged marriage, yet they are enemies. Will they be able to become...
1.1K 65 10
Fumbling, bumbling dates of Draco and Harry, eager but inexperienced. Mix in confusing feelings about their past conflicts... *Sequel to Captivate *1...
77.2K 2.4K 31
Five years into to the war, the Order is pulling ahead after ages of drastically losing. Draco Malfoy notices. He wants in. He offers himself as a do...