Eden

By luciaysun

| HIGHEST - #1 in Cruise | "You could have anyone." I avert my gaze to the floor. His emerald green eyes spa... More

Chapter 1: Jade
Chapter 2: Noah
Chapter 4: She's Back
Chapter 5: It's a Small World
Chapter 6: Formal Night
Chapter 7: She's With Me
Chapter 8: Lifetime
Chapter 9: Constellations

Chapter 3: Game On, Casino Boy

276 40 138
By luciaysun

Jade's POV

I watch in amusement from the bar as an obliviously drunk couple stumbles onto the center of the casino floor. They hug each other tightly and begin swaying slowly to the roaring of the slot machines, foreheads touching. The bartender and the people sitting alongside me throw them dirty looks—but I find it kind of sweet.

I turn back to face the dimly lit bar, scanning the area for someone who looks generous enough for me to bum a cigarette off.  A group of skinny, agitated, middle aged men sit across the bar from me, anxiously scratching at their saggy skin and downing shots like it's chocolate milk. It's obvious that they're drug addicts. I recognize it from years of taking care of my dad. Poor suckers are definitely trying to conserve their hidden stash of meth and bath salts. Too bad I don't spot a pack of cigarettes on them or else I would've been out of here a long time ago.

I look around again but I don't spot anyone who doesn't look like a snitch. At this point I would jump off the ship and swim back to land for just one drag.

I slide off the bar stool and head for the door to the balcony outside. I need some air. A gentle breeze caresses my face as the door shuts behind me. My feet dance alongside the railing as I stare out into the emptiness of the sea. The dark horizon stretches out in all directions around me.

Dad.

He's out there somewhere, even if I can't see him. Or hold him.

He's out there somewhere, and I know I'll find him.

Suddenly, my shoulder slams against something hard. I jump as heat simmers against the skin of my toes.

"Watch it!" I hear a voice from beside me. I look down to see ashes spread across my feet and a fallen cigarette inches away from me.

A cigarette.

I scramble to grab it when my head collides against the stranger's as they reach for it too. Smooth Jade. Real subtle.

I spring up to see a boy about my age. His emerald green eyes sparkle as they catch a hint of the casino lights flashing through the window. They're a passionate green, the kind of green that just screams spring.

"Jesus Christ, this is a cruise ship, not the fucking MMA." He rubs his head, sliding his cigarette back into his mouth before taking a drag.

I roll my eyes and shake the ashes off my feet. "Good thing it's not the MMA or else I'd kick your ass," I mumble.

He looks taken aback, as if what I said somehow affected him. Something tells me he's probably not used to people standing up to him.

He laughs. "Right, a five foot toddler." He leans in until his face only a few inches from mine. "Go for it."

My blood boils as he leans against the railing with a subtle smirk plastered on his face.

Wow. Insulting my height. Real original, but I'm impressed. He actually has the balls to try me. Though I can see a hint of arrogant intensity in his warm green eyes, his face still holds a friendly yet irritating smile. Game on, Casino Boy.

"Fu-" the bartender cuts me off right as I'm about to cuss him out.

"You kids better find somewhere else to hang out," he says with a stern voice, probably after overhearing our conversation. The poor bartender has probably handled so many bar fights he can see the signs that lead to it before it happens.

"-and get rid of that cigarette," he adds.

Casino Boy lets go of the cigarette and I watch it fall into the watery abyss. The bartender opens the door for us and we're immediately greeted with dirty looks from the people at the bar. Regardless the sneers and whispers, I hold my head up high before wandering into the maze of slot machines and blackjack tables.

Casino Boy's still walking beside me, and his earthy brown hair becomes clear in this lighting. I subtly study him. He's definitely taller than me, and his tight black t-shirt showcases his broad shoulders and curvy muscles. I wonder what a guy like him is doing smoking cigarettes.

He breaks the silence. "You wanted a drag didn't you?"

Shit. Guess I wasn't being very subtle earlier.

"Busted." I roll my eyes.

"You want one?"

I stop in my tracks and turn to face him.

"You have more?" I raise an eyebrow. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a fresh pack. Why out of all of the people that can share a cigarette with me, it has to be him. God must hate me.

"I'll give you one," he pauses, "If-"

Of course there's an if.

"If?" I cross my arms.

He points over at an empty table. "You see that drink on that table over there?"

I lean onto the tip of my toes to glance over the slot machine. A practically full pint-sized bottle of rum sits at an abandoned table. My eyes then shift to an employee working only ten feet away. I'm actually relieved. When he told me there were strings attached, my mind immediately began to wander to the worst of scenarios.

"Watch and learn."

I casually make my way towards the table, making sure the employee's still looking in the other direction. Lets see if some of the skills I picked up from living in a group home have finally come in handy. I angle my body to block the view before casually sliding the glass off the table and into my hand.

"Hey! What do you think you're doing!" I hear a deep voice yell.

Fuck. It's the employee. I look back at Casino Boy as panic falls upon his face and motion for him to run. He quickly catches up to me before we race out of the casino and up two flights of stairs. My lungs are on fire as we reach the fourth set of stairs. Now this is why I don't play sports anymore.

"Here!" Casino Boy grabs my hand and pulls me into a cramped and dimly lit room. It's a janitors closet. Smooth thinking. Maybe jocks aren't all that slow. The door shuts behind us yet his soft hands are still wrapped around mine.

I quickly pull my hand away as my heat races to my cheeks. "Is he gone?"

Casino Boy stealthily peers through the narrow window in the door. The light breaking through the glass highlights his soft golden tan.

"Duck!" he whispers. Without thinking, I quickly follow his lead and drop to the floor. The two of us sit against the door, panting heavily. The adrenaline pumping through my veins amplifies the loud drumming of my heart. My body turns towards Casino Boy under the dim lighting. He's looking directly at me with a smile across his face. He doesn't look as upset like he was earlier.

We both break out in laughter.

"Real smooth." The gold specks in his green eyes sparkle as he laughs. "I didn't expect to become a fugitive my first day on the ship."

For a minute, it almost seems like there's a hint of sincerity in his soft green eyes, but I quickly stifle my laugh. I don't know this guy, and I'm not here to make friends.

"Can't relate." I wipe the rim of the glass before taking a sip. Casino Boy reaches for the drink but I pull it away.

"The cigarette first."

"Oh shit, right," he says. He pulls out two cigarettes and slips them into my hand and I slide them into my ripped jean shorts. A wave of relief washes over me.

"Here." I pass him the alcohol. He tips the bottle upside down and takes a large swig before screwing on the cap and sliding it into the back pocket of his dark denim jeans.

Shit. I quickly realize I don't have a lighter. The cigarettes in my pocket hold no significance if I can't find something to ignite it. I look back up at Casino Boy.

"You got a light?" The words reluctantly fall out of my mouth. I hate asking people for help. They always end up holding that favor against you.

His jaw tightens. "Yeah, but it's my only one."

I can tell that he doesn't trust me to give it back. I wouldn't trust me either. The thought of having cigarettes in my pocket yet being unable to smoke causes a growing uneasiness in my chest. I scored the cigarettes and everything but I'm getting cut off because of a lighter.

He sighs. I look up in surprise to see him shuffling his hand around in his pocket. "Here." He pulls out a blue lighter.

I hesitantly take it from him and slide it into my pocket with the cigarettes. I try not to act too surprised, but I'm completely bewildered by the fact that he's willing to trust a complete stranger. I'm completely bewildered by the fact that he's willing to trust me.

"What's your name?" he asks as he pulls out his phone. "I can add you on the cruise app. It lets you message people onboard so I can text you where to meet tomorrow morning for the lighter."

I tuck my hair behind my ear. "It's Jade Yuxi."

He looks up from his phone with a curious expression. "Yuxi?"

"It means pleasant jade in Chinese," I say, "Let's just say my dad isn't very creative."

He flashes me a friendly smile. "I like it."

My face immediately forms a puzzled expression. I can't figure out his intentions. The last thing I expected to happen tonight was to run into a cute but arrogant boy and be complimented. My heart begins to shift into a gear I didn't even know existed. Flames flicker and dance in my chest to the now speeding rhythm of my heart.

Get a grip, Jade.

My fists curl up into a ball as I remind myself that I know what guys like him want. I've screwed with guys like him before, or more like guys like him have screwed me over before.

"Fuck off." I roll my eyes.

"It suits you." his lips curve up into a kind smile. "Not the pleasant part of it though."

Wow. What a real creative insult. But I almost find myself relieved. His affectionate smile almost convinced me he was trying to hit on me for a moment. I don't want anything to do with him and I'm sure he wants nothing to do with me. We're just two strangers who need things from each other for the time being and we'll never talk again after tomorrow.

My phone blinks on. Noah Gray invited you to chat. So his name's Noah. I still prefer the nickname Casino Boy.

"Are those your parents?"

I look up to see him observing my phone's home-screen wallpaper. The only photo of me with both my parents glows from my screen.

My voice softens, "Yeah, they are." The baby in the photo looks much happier than I look now.

"Are you here with them?" he asks.

I hesitate.

"What's with all the questions?" I snap at him. I barely know this guy, I definitely don't need him to feel sorry for me. Quickly, I fabricate a story.

"It's getting late. I'm with my-" I pause, "I'm with my grandparents, I should get back before they start to worry."

"Yeah same, my mom's probably looking for me," he says. I notice that he clenches his jaw as he says this, almost as if there's something bothering him. I quickly shrug it off.

After he declares that the coast is clear, we quietly sneak out of the closet and ride the elevator down to our cabins.

"This is me," I declare as the elevator dings to signal it's arrival. I step out, and as the doors begin to shut behind me, my eyes catch one last glimpse of him; his dark chestnut brown hair complimenting his pale green eyes perfectly. I quickly spin around and start walking back to my room. After he gets his lighter back we'll never speak again and I'm fine with that.

The door clicks open as I slide in my room card. Chris and Jenna are still up watching an episode of Law and Order.

"I'm ba-" I get cut off as Jenna tells me to be quiet, not once removing her eyes from the TV. I try my hardest not to roll my eyes at her as I quietly walk to the room Kai and I share. My eyes spot him on the balcony sitting in a pool chair with the tub of cookie dough ice-cream.

"Hey, pass me that shit." my hand shuts the balcony door behind me. He looks happy to see me, but I'm probably happier to see him.

"Where were you all night hmm? Did you finally meet a guy because it's about time." He smirks as he passes me the tub.

"Oh, I met a guy alright," the words escape my mouth in an unimpressed tone. I pull out the cigarettes, "But good news, I scored us these."

My body crashes in the seat next to him before wrapping my lips around a cigarette and lighting it up. The tip burns a vibrant red as I take a long shaky drag before passing it to Kai. My face tingles as every muscle in my body relaxes almost instantly. There goes the idea of quitting smoking.

"Bro you're the best," he says as he exhales a cloud of smoke.

I laugh, "That's not news."

A hint of worry falls onto his face. "What if Chris and Jenna catch us smoking?"

My eyes roll so hard they might've done a full 360. "Do you really think they care enough to check in on us?"

He laughs before taking another drag. "You got me there."

My phone suddenly lights up. It's from Noah.

Meet me in the arcade @ 8 tomorrow?

Wow. That was fast.

I shove a spoonful of ice cream into my mouth as I send back a concise, K.

Kai passes the cigarette back to me and I shrink down into my seat while looking out into the vastness of the sea. It's almost odd how the ocean looks so calm even when the darkness makes it impossible to see where the water ends and the sky starts.

I find myself fidgeting with Noah's lighter. The odd feeling in my stomach is difficult to describe. The preppy kids from the new school Chris and Jenna dragged me to take one look at me and assume the worst. But not Noah.

It feels weird having someone trust me so quickly. It feels weird having someone trust me at all.

But it feels...nice.

A/N: Thoughts on how Jade and Noah meet? This is probably my best attempt at writing a less cliche first meet (unfortunately cliches are hard to avoid when writing in Romance). If you liked this chapter, don't forget to vote!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

87.1K 3.3K 32
(LOVE'S SPECTRUM BOOK ONE) I've been awake for a few minutes, I'm just lying there loving the feeling of my angel in my arms. I feel her move and her...
225K 3.6K 36
{completed} They say opposites attract, the good girl + the bad boy. The grumpy + sunshine. She's intrigued by his eyes, maybe it's because they sha...
280K 5.6K 62
He's a guy that doesn't even know the meaning of the word "love." She's a girl who's scared to know what the meaning of the word "love" is. Add them...
1K 98 62
π‘Œπ‘œπ‘’ π΄π‘Ÿπ‘’ 𝑀𝑦 π»π‘œπ‘šπ‘’, 𝑀𝑦 πΏπ‘–π‘”β„Žπ‘‘ 𝐼𝑛 π‘‡β„Žπ‘’ π·π‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘˜ π‘…π‘œπ‘œπ‘š, 𝑀𝑦 π‘†π‘’π‘šπ‘šπ‘’π‘Ÿ π‘Šπ‘Žπ‘Ÿπ‘šπ‘‘β„Ž. --------------------------------- Jade Augus...