𝓦ords of 𝓢ri 𝓐urobindo

By suvachana

Extracts from the writings of Sri Aurobindo More

Introduction
Life-Sketch* [1]
Life Sketch* contd.[2]
Life-Sketch* contd.[3]
August 15th
mighty instruments
reason to evolve
the cosmic impulse
future of man
National Education [1]
National Education [2]
Solitary Confinement [1]
Science and Religion - In Their Essence
Spirit and Science
Bharata Shakti
past present future
Unified India
socialism [1]
socialism [2]
culture
cultural history
limited view
Out of India
Architecture [1]
Indian Architecture [2]
Re Form
Karma
In the Finite
Hinduism
tamas-rajas-sattwa
Itihasa
Epic [1]
Epic [2]
Individual, Society and Beyond
Ethics and Eternal - Aspects
beyond the mechanical
yoga
enlightening?
socio-political trends
uplifting message
Revolutionary Visionary
moving towards
mind power and beyond
spiritual and cultural unity
individualism
Indian Art
Indian Art - Continuity of Tradition
divide and fool
progressive humanity
in the future
Four Fold Qualities
'Arya'-Its Significance
Shivaji
Shivaji and Jaysingh
a stimulus
reality
Then...and now?
cultural appropriation
Lovely and Noble
inexorable
Itihasa
Guru
French Revolutionary [1]
French Revolutionary [2]
French Revolution
essays
lion-man
perspective
The Human Cycle
field of manifestation
Swami Vivekananda
part 2
A Dream of Surreal Science
Baji Prabhou
framework
Vedantic Monism

attack on Hindu culture

19 3 4
By suvachana

''The phenomenon that has astonished and disgusted the mind of the critic is the obstinate survival in India of the old religious spirit and large antique religious types unsubmerged by the flood of modernism and its devastating utilitarian free thought. 

India, he tells us, still clings to what not only the Western world, but China and Japanhave outgrown for ages. The religion is a superstition full of performances of piety repulsive to the free enlightened secular mind of the modern man. Its daily practices put it far outside the pale of civilisation. 

Perhaps, if it had confined its practice decorously to church attendance on Sundays and to marriage and funeral services and grace before meat, it might have been admitted as human and tolerable! 

As it is, it is the great anachronism of the modern world; it has not been cleansed for thirty centuries; it is paganism, it is a wholly unfiltered paganism; its tendency towards pollution rather than purification marks out its place as incomparably the lowest in the scale of world religions. 

An ingenious remedy is proposed. Christianity destroyed Paganism in Europe; therefore, since any immediate or very rapid triumph of sceptical free-thought would be too happily abrupt a transition to be quite feasible, we unenlightened, polluted, impure Hindus are advised to take up for a time with Christianity, poor irrational thing that it is, dark and deformed though it looks in the ample light of the positivist reason, because Christianity and especially Protestant Christianity will be at least a good preparatory step towards the noble freedom and stainless purities of atheism and agnosticism. 

But if even this little cannot be hoped for in spite of numerous famine conversions, at any rate Hinduism must somehow or other get itself filtered, and until that hygienic operation has been executed, India must be denied fellowship on equal terms with the civilised nations.''

extract from Sri Aurobindo's ' A Defense of Indian Culture' - in response to  Archer's criticism.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.3K 697 197
Hi everyone. I have decided to post my various thoughts via poems. The chapters here will be arranged according to different topics. You can read...
272 0 19
A story of multiple perspectives and the dark side of the Philippine Psyche.
1.9K 70 63
Hello there readers. I bet you're all wondering what this it? It's not an Aphmau fanfiction or a FNAF fanfiction. This is Non-Fiction. This is real...
159 47 47
Dear Reader: You are precious, priceless, and irreplaceable. In the entire history -- of the entire universe: In the history of all Eternity... There...