The Shadow Noir Nexus [Sword...

بواسطة eri_quin

Labeled as a hikikomori, Kazuta has had a hard time going outside her home and interacting with people. But s... المزيد

Prologue
Tomodachi
Help Wanted
Floating Dreams
Cleared Level
Status Update
Strategy
The Finish Line Nears in Hope

Beta-Test

420 16 1
بواسطة eri_quin

Asuna led her friend to her fiancé's department (who she was counting on for backup in dealing with Kazuta), careful to keep her steady and not lead her into anything. Kazuta's eyes were shaded by the dark sunglasses and her headphones were firmly on her head.

Suguha, Kazuta's sister, was extremely helpful in helping Asuna learn how to deal with Kazuta's problem. She learned about the morning routine, the sunglasses, the headphones...And she'd begun implementing it, helping her to get Kazuta out more. It took a bit to get used to, but she saw for herself how it did help Kazuta get around calmly and help her calm down when she did start freaking out.

"Almost there!" Asuna cheerfully said, leading the other girl to the doorway at the end. Once there, she knocked and was let in by Nobuyuki.

The two of them barely traded looks at each other, but he did take Kazuta from her and brought her over to a couch. They kept the shades, but Nobuyuki removed the headphones. Kazuta took a shuddering breath but seemed calm for the moment.

"School's almost over," Asuna said in relief. "We'll have a nice break in front of us, Kazuta!"

Kazuta took a few moments to focus on her breathing. "Yeah, that would be really nice. I might try out some new RPGs and maybe see if I can beat all of them over the break."

Asuna hmmed, eying her. "How about meeting us for lunch or something every now and then?" She gave a glance at Nobuyuki.

"I personally would really like that," Nobuyuki said smoothly, smiling widely as if Kazuta was looking his way.

Asuna rolled her eyes. "Well, there's also the whole beta-testing thing you might be interested in."

"Beta-testing?" Kazuta tilted her head.

"You heard about Sword Art Online, right? That Kayaba Akihiko finally created a playable version and that the Full Dive technology is going to be used for it? I know you're interested in that stuff and that you've been really keen on that game and the Full Dive tech, plus that interest of yours in Kayaba himself. You should try out for it!"

Kazuta shifted on the couch for a few seconds. "I don't know..."

Asuna opened her mouth to keep encouraging her, when Nobuyuki cut in, annoying her.

"Asuna's right; you'd enjoy it. It'll be a nice little experience for you," he said and though she was still annoyed, she was begrudgingly glad for the backup.

"I...I guess?" Kazuta said hesitantly. "...It couldn't help to try..."

Even if she was hesitant, Asuna still counted it as a victory.

~*~

After her visit with Asuna to Nobuyuki's office, Kazuta actually did apply to be part of the beta-testing. It was a fit of madness though and she regretted it. How could she even last there when she couldn't even comfortably stay with Asuna and Nobuyuki in one place, much less go to a place full of strangers?

Still, it wasn't like she'd get picked. There were millions of others who'd probably applied. Who's to say that she would be one of the lucky ones?

Her aunt entered into her room, carrying mail and smiling widely.

"I think I've got something for you~"

Kazuta's heart stopped and she stared at her aunt and the letter she'd held. No...no way...How could she have been picked? Out of everyone, how did she become one of the lucky ones to be part of the beta-test?

She accepted the envelope from Aunt Midori and opened it slowly, scanning the contents of the letter quickly before reading it slowly a second time. Her breath hitched.

Dear participant,

You have been accepted into the beta-testing of Sword Art Online. If you wish to participate, please call back with the attached number and follow the instructions to accept your invitation.

You will also be asked to sign and fax the attached papers, regarding consent forms, safety forms, and emergency contacts.

Thank you for applying.

Kazuta ignored the sign off, not recognizing the person. She was, however, actually starting to feel excitement at the knowledge that she was going to be one of the beta-testers.

"I have to call Asuna!" she found herself exclaiming. "I have to let her and Nobuyuki-san know!"

Aunt Midori giggled, waving her off. "Go on, dear. I'll be in the kitchen, making dinner. Congratulations, sweetheart!"

She left Kazuna behind and she went for her phone, eagerly calling up Asuna.

"Kazuta! Is something the matter?"

She blushed, realizing that it was really early in the morning. She nibbled on her lip.

"Asuna-san, g-good morning," she said, avoiding looking around. She closed her eyes and focused on her breathing and listening to Asuna's voice.

"Good morning, Kazuta!"

Kazuta took a deep breath, a grin threatening to break out. But then she just let herself grin fully.

"I got in."

There was silence before Asuna —"You don't mean..."

"I do!" Kazuta cut her off, too excited. "I get to be part of the SAO beta-testing trials!"

Asuna screamed into her ear and she held the phone away, wincing. After waiting a moment, she put her ear back.

"Asuna-san?"

Her friend laughed. "Sorry, sorry! But this is great, Kazuta. I bet you'll have fun and get to have the full experience of the Full Dive tech you're always going on about!"

Which got Kazuta even more excited. "Yes! That is definitely one of the best things about this! I'm really excited and I actually can't wait. Is Nobuyuki-san there?"

"Hmph! I have no idea where he is. Work most likely."

"Aa, I see. Could you let him know as well? I wanted to let you two know about this, since you two were the ones who pushed me into applying for it," she said gratefully.

"Of course! I'm so excited for you, you have no idea! Let me know how it goes? Or if you can, update me while you're participating!"

"I'll try," she promised. "I have to go fill out the papers and send them now, so I'll talk to you again later. Bye, Asuna-san."

"Bye, Kazuta!"

She hung up and searched out the papers, sitting down at her table and beginning the process of filling out all the needed forms.

~*~

Kazuta didn't go a day without being excited, actually chattering non-stop to her family and being more upbeat and lively than her usual cool countenance was like. She gushed about the game or the Full Dive technology she'd been following the development of, ever since its introduction. And if not those two topics, it would be the actual beta-testing itself or the man behind everything.

Kayaba Akihiko.

Suguha really didn't know what the fuss was about on him or this Sword Art Online game. She had never even understood Kazuta's fascination with that Full Dive thing either. What she did know was that Kazuta was really happy and wasn't quiet and subdued like normal. Which really made her happy because her sister wasn't withdrawn and actually happy for once.

Plus, she was really pretty as she was, but her smiling freely and happily made her look absolutely beautiful.

"Earth to Suguha~" Kazuta teased, poking her cheek.

Suguha blushed, pouting a bit. "Eh! Don't do that, Onee-san!"

Kazuta giggled and tugged her after her. "I'm going to be leaving soon. You're not going to say bye to me before I go?"

Suguha's eyes widened. "Of course I am! Gah! Kazuta-neesan, why didn't you say something earlier?"

She threw herself forward and latched onto her sister, holding onto her tightly. She didn't want to let go, keen on almost begging Kazuta to stay and not leave off to that thing.

Kazuta ran a hand down Suguha's hair and kissed the top of her head. "It's not like I'll be gone forever, silly."

Suguha really hoped not.

~*~

While Suguha finally let go and reluctantly left the house, Kazuta stared out the door where her sister had walked out from. Familiar dread started to pool in her gut and she took a few steps back.

This entire time, she'd been so excited to go to the beta-testing, and now...now she couldn't even fathom how she was okay with leaving the house to go to it.

What had she been thinking?

She closed the door and hurriedly rushed to her room.

Half an hour later, there was a knock on her door. She winced and continued to hold onto her knees, sitting at her table and staring down at the top of it.

"Kazuta?" she heard her adoptive mother hesitantly call out. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," she said, her voice hollow.

It was silent before her door was opened and she glanced up as Aunt Midori entered, looking forlorn.

"Sweetie, it's time for us to go."

"I don't want to go anymore," she mumbled, not looking at Aunt Midori.

Her adoptive mother sighed and moved closer, sitting on her knees next to Kazuta. "Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Alright. I do need your help with something outside though," she told Kazuta. "So can you handle a quick trip for me?"

Kazuta bit down on her lip, thinking about it, before hesitantly nodding. She was always troubling Aunt Midori. She could at least try and force herself to do this. At least it wouldn't be long...

Her adoptive mother led the way to their car out and Kazuta's hands clenched by her sides, ignoring looking around and staring at the sidewalk. She managed to get into the car and soon enough they were off. She tried closing her eyes and focusing on her breathing, pretending she was at home and in her room.

Time passed by until they'd finally stopped and she opened her door, getting out while still staring at the ground. She closed the door just as she heard the window open.

"I'm sorry, Kazuta, but you wouldn't have come here otherwise! Don't waste this opportunity, Sweetie! Don't hold yourself back!" she heard her aunt yell out the window regretfully and then she felt the car start forward.

Her head snapped up in time to watch Aunt Midori driving off without a chance for her to catch up.

Her eyes widened while she went into shock. She looked around briefly, noticing the address that she recognized was supposed to be the beta-testing site.

But then her breathing was speeding up and she sunk to her knees, clenching her eyes tightly shut and slamming her hands over her ears, rocking a bit and trying to not cry.

She wanted to be back home and in her room.

She knew she was starting to hyperventilate and her chest hurt as she scrambled to get herself to breathe right. Her fingers clenched tightly around strands of her hair at her scalp, hurting it because of her tight grip. Her body shook and she knew she was starting to outright cry.

But then warm, gentle hands touched hers and tilted her head up. She didn't open her eyes, still in the midst of her panic attack, but whoever it was kept holding her face, hands over hers, and she could tell they'd knelt down to her level.

"Just take deep, even breaths, okay? And perhaps going inside and somewhere quiet will help," a low voice soothed.

She shakily exhaled and opened her eyes, and if she wasn't so stuck in her panic attack —she would've gasped and stared in shock.

The one and only Kayaba Akihiko himself had been the one to stop by her and try to calm her down.

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

51.4K 453 15
Kirito was lonely, he lost the friends he've met during SAO were Sachi and the moonlit black cats. Until a voice talked to him about a deal that he c...
440K 16.5K 30
She/Her pronouns will be used in this story. Mature themes and language ahead! "Will you be my friend?" "I've never had a friend before and I hope y...
193K 6.8K 57
|COMPLETED| Bro this fic is so cringe, I regret writing this 💀 Synopsis: You're the son of the pro heroes Water Hose, who have recently died from a...
2.5K 73 5
(A/N: This story isn't yet finalized. Don't expect any further updates to this book until further notice.) In the year 2022, a VRMMORPG called Sword...