After All

By clockwork_chaser

I am trying to be better. I am working to be better. More

BEHINDtheCLOCKWORK
Pain of Forgetting the Feeling of Love
Life is Your Every Decision Between Birth and Death
This Life is not Mine to Live
Feel Until You Can Feel No More
There's This Doctor
Love Between Passion and Calmness
It's Fine to Make Love With the Man You Love
You Don't Have To Love Just Because You Are Loved
Not a Matthew Neil But a Troy Lancer, History Repeating Itself
To Play Safe Because I am Not a Businessman
The One Who Plays God and The Fallen Angel
Pillow and Sheet
Closure isn't What I Need
Between the Two
Hannah
End of it All
To Do
Chicken Noodle Soup
Leon
Starry Night
Old Spanish Style
First 'I Do'
Well Played
Same Situation Different Ending
Parental Love
Eighteen Years Promise

Not All Heroes Wear Capes

2.5K 85 18
By clockwork_chaser

Chapter 4

TREY

"Man, you're here!" Tristan was so surprised to see me. He was on his phone but he ended the call when he saw me alighting my car. We bumped our fists then we did our manly hug. 

I just got here on Nexus' wedding. I was late for the ceremony so I chose to go straight for the reception. But I'm still late for this. 

"Nice car!" Tristan chuckled on my Chiron. 

I tossed my keys to Caspian then I faced Tristan. "Thanks, dude." I smiled. I tapped his shoulder. "Why are you here? Party's over?"

"Nah. Magsisimula pa lang naman. I just made some calls." Tristan smiled. "Filipino time, man." He chuckled. 

We decided to go inside the venue. I was greeted by my friends. Everybody was surprised to see me here. 

"Ano 'yan, samahan ng mga lalaking bigo sa Vergara?" Briana laughed as she gave me a quick hug. 

I patted her back then chuckled. Mukhang si Tristan ang apektado sa sinabi n'ya. I excused myself when I saw Dara sitting alone on her table. 

"Wow, you have time for this?" Dara sarcastically smirked after I kissed her cheek. I chose to settle myself beside her. 

I pinched her nose then smiled at her. "I do but I had a meeting before this. 'Di na ko nakaabot sa simbahan." 

Dara slapped my hand away. 

"Alone?" I asked as I reached for a glass of wine. 

"I just got here. Parating pa lang siguro sila Mommy." She replied then she leaned in to hug me. 

Natatawang tinapik-tapik ko na lang ang likod ni Dara. 

"I missed you, Trey. Naisipan ko na ngang mag-businesswoman para makapag-pa-appointment sa'yo."

I laughed at her silly idea. 

Wala pa masyadong mga tao. Ilan pa lang kaming nandito sa reception. 'Yong mga hindi masyadong malapit sa bride at groom pa lang. 

I was busy catching up with Dara. Tristan sat with us on the table. 

I didn't realize that I missed them this bad. I miss those times that I was free to hang out with them after a long day of work. I miss those times that I am free to be careless and to drink my sanity off. 

Not so long, people started coming in the venue. I saw the elders and out of respect, I went to them to greet them. Pare-pareho lang naman silang niloloko ako na may oras pala ako para dito. 

"Trey, anak." Nanay Cleo pulled me for a tight hug. Nangilid agad ang luha sa mga mata n'ya. 

I smiled at her then hugged her. "I'm doing good, Nanay. Kumusta po kayo?" I asked in a jolly tone. 

Nanay broke our hug to caress my face. Si Tatay naman ang binalingan ko para yakapin din. 

"Mabuti at nakarating ka?" Tatay smiled. I can see his worry but he's choosing not to voice it out. 

"Opo, 'Tay. Late nga lang." Natatawang sabi ko. 

I saw Tito Tee and Tita Mira on the entrance. 

"Excuse me po. Salubungin ko lang po sila Tito Terrence." Magalang na paalam ko. 

Nang paalis na ako ay nakasalubong ko si Marron. Ngumiti ako sa kanya. Wala s'yang reaksyon. 

"Long time no see." I smiled at her. 

Bumuka ang bibig n'ya pero wala naman s'yang sinabi. Sa huli ay pilit na ngumiti lang s'ya sa akin. 

"Ahm, excuse me. I'll greet Tito Tee and Tita Mira." I gently said then I walked pass her. 

I can see everybody looking at us. Damn. This is awkward. 

Nang malagpasan ko si Marron, saka ko lang napansin na 'di pala ko humihinga kanina. I can feel my heart beating wildly. Nakita na naman kasi ang amo n'ya. 

"Wala man lang beso?" Mapang-asar na salubong sa akin ni Dara. 

I managed to smirk at her. Umakbay ako sa kanya at hinila na s'ya sa kung nasaan ang pakay ko. 

I kissed Tita Mira. Nagmano naman ako kay Tito Tee. 

"Have you heard about what happened on TriTower?" Tito tee asked in a serious tone. 

I nodded. "I'll be there the day after tomorrow, Tito." I replied. 

"No. Let Tria and Carrack handle that." Tito decided. 

I shook my head. "I gave the Subic account to Carrack, Tito. And I am confident that Tricia can handle the company while I'm troubleshooting the TriTower. Tito Tee is here anyway." 

Tita Mira pulled me for a hug. "It's okay, Trey. Terrence will go to Vegas for that."

"I will?" Nagtatakang tanong ni Tito. 

"Oo." Tita decided. "And Ae will be here for the head office. You can take a vacation, Trey." 

I laughed. "It won't work like that, Tita. Ae will be here just for a vacation and an apprenticeship on my office. Tyler will be the one who'll handle their shares. I'm sure Ae and Xyz will choose to stay on Spain."

"But Tyler still got his plate full for their other businesses aside from AGC." Tito Tee concluded. "No one else can work like our golden boy here." He laughed while tapping my shoulder. "At kahit pa may mga bagong uupo sa AGC, he still have MA to worry for. His siblings aren't ready for that. And honestly, I don't think they're interested." 

Napangiwi na lang ako. Clearly, Calix was not cut for business. Mabuti nga at nakakatagal sa Sweet Tooth's. 

"At wala naman na pong ibang pagkakaabalahan si Trey, Tita. Okay lang 'yan. Papakasal na po 'yan sa mga negosyo n'yo." Nakangising sabi ni Dara. 

Tito Tee laughed at her joke but Tita Mira sighed. 

The master of the ceremony announced the arrival of the newly weds. Nagpaalam na kami ni Dara na babalik na sa table namin. Tito Tee and Tita Mira will sit with Tito Nate on the VIP table near the stage. 

"You think you will ever marry?" Dara asked while we're clapping our hands upon the arrival of the newly weds. 

I smirked at her. "Maybe?"

She raised her brow on me. "Still in love with her?"

I smiled at her. "Won't stop. Can't stop."

Dara sighed. "You're pathetic." She whispered. 

"So are you." I chuckled. 

The program started and the foods were served. I was busy having a good time with my friends. Mukhang lahat sila ay mangha na nandito ako at miss ako dahil panay ang lapit nila sa table namin. 

"Bro!" Skipper smiled at me then we hugged each other. 

The last time we saw each other, he punched me. 

I am having a good time with my friends. Hindi maiwasan na sisingit ang usapang negosyo pero mas marami ang yayaan ng bakasyon. Sadly, I can't commit myself to that. 

"Time for the most exciting part!" The host announced. 

All the single ladies were called on the center. Sarah, the bride, have a big smile while waving her bouquet. 

I was waiting for the bride to throw her bouquet but she said that she wanted to do it differently. She asked the single ladies to write their names on a piece of paper. Palabutan yata ang gagawin. 

The bride fished from the bowl of colored papers. She shared with her husband who was the lucky girl. Nexus laughed after reading the paper. 

"Okay, gentlemen!" Nexus excitedly announced. "I'm gonna throw the garter." 

Most of the bachelors doesn't want to participate. 'Yong mga pumunta sa gitna ay mga hindi ko kilala.  Nagkakatawanan na at nagtutulukan ang mga kaibigan ko. 

"Hindi naman cancer ang pagpapakasal. Takot na takot kayo?" Tawa ni Avy. 

"I can see your enthusiasm for this." Nexus sarcastically said. Tumalikod na s'ya at mukhang handa nang ihagis ang garter. "In the count of three." 

Akala ko ay patalikod na ihahagis n'ya ang garter, tulad ng normal na ginagawa ng mga bride, pero bigla s'yang humarap at malakas na ipinasa sa gawi ko ang garter. 

I was laughing as I lifted the lacy garter that landed on my lap. 

"There we go!" Nexus laughed, almost evil. Natawa na lang din ako sa kalokohan n'ya. 

My phone ringed. I checked who's calling. I was still laughing when I saw it was Kaia. I stood up then threw the garter on Skipper. "I have to pick this call." 

"Dude, where you going?" 

"This is important." I lifted my phone. I started walking towards the exit. 

I know all eyes were on me. But Kaia won't call unless it's an emergency. She knows that I'm on a wedding. 

I swiped to answer her call. "Kaia." 

"Trey!" I can hear the panic on her tone. And she's not the one who'll panic easily. 

"What happened? AGC or MA?" I asked right away. Binilisan ko ang lakad ko at sinenyasan si Caspian na nakatayo sa tabi ng sasakyan ko. 

"There's a bomb threat on MA, terminal seventeen." 

"Prepare my chopper on AGC. I can fly it." 

I am around the area. I can be on AGC in fifteen to twenty minutes. It will be a waste of time to wait for a pilot. I am a pilot. 

I was in the middle of driving when Tito Tee called. 

"What happened, Trey?" 

"Bomb threat, Tito. I'm on the way." 

"That's reckless! Hayaan mo na ang mga tao mo d'yan!" 

"I'm sure Orlon was there. I have to be there, Tito." 

"I'll send Justin." Tito said before ending the call. 

It has been a long day for me. I was tired and I still have tons of things to think of. I have to calm the media and deal with the charges that has to be filed. The bomb went off and people died. On our airport. 

It's our fault. Our security wasn't enough. I have to reach out for the families of the victims. I have to do a press conference. There's lot of things I have to do!

"Tyler, I know you're still on your honeymoon, but can you cut it short?" I called my cousin. 

"I'm actually on my way to AGC, Trey. I heard about what happened on MA. Tito Travis called because Carrack is already in panic. It's clear he can't handle the company. The TriTower needs attention as well so Tito Trav can't aid for his son. Baka kainin na naman ng pressure si Carrack at maglayas na naman."

I sighed. "Thanks, Ty. Bawi na lang ako."

"Gago." He chuckled. "Kami nga ang kailangang bumawi sa'yo." 

I laughed a little. "Buti alam n'yo."

I ended the call. 

I slumped myself on the sofa. I don't feel good. I think I'm having a flu. 

Pero walang lugar ang sakit sa buhay ko. I have works to do. 

Good thing that Tyler's back on track. Wala akong maaasahan sa mga kapatid n'ya dahil mga baguhan pa. Xyz is showing interest, but Ae... I'm sure napipilitan lang 'yon at mas gusto n'ya ang ipagpatuloy ang pag-travel n'ya. And in time, they'll focus on Spain. Their father is a business tycoon on that country. Madami din silang negosyo d'on. At simula pa lang naman, ayaw na talaga ni Tita Megan na mag-participate sa AGC. She used to have forty percent of the whole AGC and had all the rights to be the CEO but she doesn't want it. So, their family doesn't have any position on AGC. More like training ground lang 'to ng mga anak n'ya. But Tyler decided to stay in the country. He just got married and he wants to stay here. Tito Tee will give him one of the executive positions. It's rightfully his anyway. 

Tito Travis was based on Vegas. These past moths, they're busy with Ate Tria. Ate lost it when she gave birth to a dead child. She has been given mental health treatment to help her cope up with her lost. And she needed her family's support. Kaya nitong mga nakaraang buwan, wala masyadong maasahan kila Tito Travis. 

Carrack, pressured by everything, run away for months. Ilang buwan siyang nawala at dumagdag sa intindihin. I can understand him. Kahit ako naman ay gusto na lang takbuhan ang lahat ng ito. 

It was only me and Tito Tee. Kami lang ang maaasahang magtataguyod ng AGC. Tricia knew how to run a business, but she has a long way to go on. My siblings can't do this. Selene can't do this. Lalo naman sila Theo at Madie. And Tiana doesn't care. 

Tapos nawala pa si Trevor. It was depressing for the whole family. We're all mourning, but not all of us can be strong about it. 

Tito Tee's health deteriorated. He's undergone an operation. Since then palagi na silang nag-aaway ni Tita Mira. He has to tone down working. He's not as young and as healthy as before. 

That was my darkest days. I know that I am the only one who can handle the company. My cousins were not ready. My siblings weren't ready. Nagkasabay-sabay. 

It was easy to let the company down. We have enough money to last us a lifetime. But there are thousands of employees depending on us. Kung malulugi kahit isang parte ng negosyo namin, marami ang mawawalan ng trabaho. 

In business, kaonting butas lang, madaling mapapalaki ng mga kalaban. It's not enough to build a reputation and credibility. Dahil sa isang pagkakamali, madaling matatabunan ang mga mabubuting bagay. At hindi mahirap na gawan ng issue ang AGC. We have to maintain our standing. For the people of our company. 

And it's not just AGC. I also have MA to worry for. Nobody can help me on that. Unlike AGC, where I have the Amante to run to, I am the only one for MA. Tito Carlos, my mother's brother, clearly don't know how to run the business. I once let him handle that, and it went bankrupt. He caused the fall of Moreno Group of Companies. It was heartbreaking to hear the desperate call for help of the hundred employees of MGC. And I was guilty. I could have done something for them. But I let my selfishness rule me. I focused on AGC, because I have a go to there. Whenever I want to slack off, I can depend on someone else. I turned a blind eye on the needs of MGC. I know that Tito Carlos couldn't do it, yet I left him the company. And it fell. The legacy of my late grandfather. 

Without the influence of AGC and Amarata (my company shared with Skipper and Darco), I doubt MGC could be revived. I transferred everything under my name. I gave it a new name. Moreno Airlines. And I put it under the wings of AGC. A sister company to my father's family's legacy. And that's all that I could do for it. 

I re-hired MGC's previous employees, gave them better compensation, and a promise of a better and stable company. Under MA, I handled everything. I can work from AGC. It was a win-win situation for the companies. Pero kung buhay si Lolo, alam ko na sasama ang loob n'ya sa akin. I ended his legacy. But that's all I could do. 

Hindi ko naman kaya ang lahat. 

I sacrificed everything for the companies. I sacrificed everything for my family. I sacrificed everything for the legacy. I sacrificed myself for them. 

And in a moment like this. Depression is taking me. And I want to give up. Sa totoo lang kasi, wala naman nang saysay ang buhay ko. 

The only light in my life gave up on me. The only one that matters no longer wants me. 

There's nothing to look forward to. At the end of this all, wala naman nang para sa akin. 

I was waiting for them to be ready. I was waiting for them to take part on the company. I was waiting for them to take the responsibilities fate forcefully placed on my shoulders. I was waiting... and waiting... 

Nararamdaman ko naman na malapit na. Malapit na akong makalaya. Pero para saan pa. 

Wala naman na si Marron. 

Ngayon naman, ayoko nang mawalan ng trabaho. Ito na lang kasi ang silbi ko. This is my purpose. 

"Shut up, Trey." I murmured to myself. I covered my eyes with my arm. "It's no use." 

And I can't help but succumb to sleep. 

Pagod na ako. Pagod na pagod na ako. But I am not my father. I won't give up on this life. I am not selfish enough to want for my death. I don't want another 'Trey' to suffer. Kung mamamatay ako, dalawa lang naman. 

Una, may mapipilitan na sumalo ng mga obligasyon ko. Kawawa naman. I know how hard it could be. Ayoko nang may maghirap na tulad ng akin. 

Kung hindi gan'on ang mangyayari, pagbagsak lang naman ng mga kompanya. At madaming maghihirap. Hindi 'yong pamilya ko. Madami kaming pera. Pero 'yong mga umaasa sa mga kompanya namin. 'Yong mga may pamilyang empleyado namin ang higit na mawawalan. I don't have the heart to take away their resources from them. Madaming ibang trabaho, pero iba ang AGC. I made sure that they got the best a company could give. 

I would gladly burn myself to light the torch of others. That's a purpose. In every waking moment of my life that's the objective I have in mind. And that's the drive I am keeping to convince myself to still live. 

Not all heroes wear capes. Some wears a business suit. 

"I am going nuts." I laughed to myself. 

I don't feel good. I am delusional. 

______________________

4 July 2019 - 22:15 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.9M 140K 51
PUBLISHED UNDER POP FICTION (SUMMIT BOOKS) The Neighbors Series #2 Highest Rank: #1 in General Fiction ** Meet the rich, gorgeous, hot and sexy Sapph...
2.8M 103K 72
She's a servant of the church with pure and innocent heart. He's a badass tattooed man. An Atheist. Will their different beliefs become a hindrance t...
1.3K 148 25
Clearly it doesn't always work with The More You Hate, The More You Love. Life is not about a happy ending. Life is just life, you just need to live...
Untitled By _casper_

General Fiction

559K 11.5K 40
Si Bernadette yung tipong hindi agad na iinlove. Kasi nasanay siya na mga lalaki ang kasama niya. Lahat ng bagay kontrolado niya pag may lalaking gu...