Consequences

By wattman44

Tola Segun had just come back from a visit to her best friend's house. When she opened the door and went in... More

Introduction
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 64
Final Chapter 65

Chapter 63

408 57 2
By wattman44

 I wasn't happy about my trip to Abuja as it didn't go as I had expected. On top of that, I was sent back to Lagos like an illegal immigrant being deported out of a country. The annoyance that had built up inside me due to my failed journey was immense. And I took this annoyance to the office the following day.

Once I got to the office, as is my usual habit, I always went to see my father and tell him good morning. But on this day, I was nervous and on top of that I had to submit a report I didn't write. This made going to see him difficult.

And so I went directly to my office and sat down at my desk thinking of how best to approach him. I put my bag down and brought out the file and went through it while I kept thinking of something. Then an Idea struck me. I got up and boldly went to see my father. I didn't carry the file with me.

When I got to his office and knocked on the door, it was slightly open.

"Come in." He said.
"Good morning dad." I said as I entered.
"Morning Tola, when did you get back?"
"Last night." I replied sitting down opposite him.
"Good. I hope the trip was okay?"
"Yes, it was short but good for a change."
"Change as in, you might be considering a transfer?"
"If that was possible, I wouldn't mind." My father observed me as he leaned back on his chair.

"Tell me Tola, how far away from your mother are you going?" I didn't think this was about my mother he was talking about.
"It's not about her, dad. It's about having a new challenging work experience that's all."
"Or perhaps to stay far away from your husband and start a new life alongside someone else?"
"Dad I haven't thought of it that way."

"I'm sure you'll soon think of it that way." He looked at me as I struggled hard to say something.

"Did you find someone that sparked your interest?" Asking me that question the one thing that came to my mind was to tell him about Dr. Abiodun. I decided to try.

"Well I did meet a doctor, dad. And...," I took a deep breath as I struggled  to find the right words, "I found it strange we both bare the same surname." I looked away as I said that.

I really didn't want to upset him. But knowing him, I knew he took everything with a calm attitude. He got up and walking up to the window, looked outside.  I knew  he had something serious to say.

"Tola I sent you to represent this company in Abuja."
"I know that dad."
"Now I know from experience that you find doctors in hospitals and not in business meetings." He turned and looked at me.

"To the best of my knowledge, I didn't receive any phone call telling me you were sick or that you had an accident or something.  So it's quite strange you met a doctor that bears the same surname with you."

"So what are you saying that doctors cannot be invited to such meetings?"

"Rarely have I seen that in my years of going to the same meeting in Abuja."

"Well doctors I am sure, are in a sense, still business people."
"Tola the business of doctors is to save lives. That's what they are good at. And by the way what is the name of the doctor you met?" I didn't think he would ask me that question. But he did, and as unprepared as I was, I had to answer the question.

"Dad, if I remember correctly it was C.K Abiodun. Charles,  to be precise."

There was a dead silence in the room so much that I held my breath. My father took a deep breath and went to sit down. He gave me the strongest look I had ever seen him give me. It got me worried he would send me out of his office. But he only smiled at me.

"Dad is there something I should know?"
"So you finally found him?" My eyes widened instantly when he asked that question.

"Dad, what are you talking about?" I asked getting up.
"You found your brother."
"Dad, no!" I shouted, "No, dad you can't do this to me. You can't!"

My dad kept quiet while I shouted at the top of my voice. Suddenly the door to his office swung open and a security personnel came in. I turned and stared at the man.

"Excuse me sir, I came immediately I heard the shouting. I hope everything is alright?" He asked my father.

"Felix everything is okay it's me and my daughter having a little misunderstanding. You can go."

"Thank you sir and sorry to disturb." He left and I was once again alone with my father.

I gave him an angry look and went to my office and brought the report. When I got to his office again, I dropped the file on his desk.

"The man you call my brother locked me in the hospital and went to a meeting I was suppose to attend and writes a report  I am supposed to write and submit."

My father kept quiet all this time as perhaps he was guilty of keeping this secret away from me. He never uttered a single word in response to what I said. He just kept staring at me.

"As I see it he's more useful to you than I am. I should have known that." I said trying to wipe the tears that were slowly dripping from my eye.

"I'm taking some time off work, dad."

"If it will do you good, then go."  He said. It wasn't what I wanted to hear, but I had to take what he said. I got to the door of his office and thought about my mother. Did she know about it? I turned and walked up to his desk again.

"Dad, tell me my mother doesn't know about it?"

"It's not something I could hide from her." My anger only increased in knowing that my mother had all along known this little detail.

"You know what, dad? I'm going to pay her a visit." I left and once I got into my car I drove down to my parent's house. I got there and pressed the bell hard.

"Tola, what are you doing here?" She asked as she opened the door. I went in angrily and looked around before I turned and faced her.

"I just had an interesting conversation with dad."
"And so you barge in here like you own this place?" I stared at my mum and knew we could be having an argument right now if I didn't control my boiling temper.

I sighed, "Sorry, mum but I'm only being told by dad that I have a brother."

"So?" My mother asked, completely relaxed.
"Mum you are always angry with me. I took it to mean you were bothered by something. I don't want to believe this is the reason why."

My mum walked away from the door and went to sit down.

"So after walking out of this house and telling me you'll be fine on your own, you come back to me for answers?" 

Whatever happened in the past is what I didn't want to be reminded of. And my mother reminding me of how I walked out of the house and never came back was something I didn't want to hear.

"Mum if that is your problem, I'm sorry. I was angry then."

"And as I see it you still are. More now because of this new revelation."

"Why me, mum? What did I ever do wrong?"
"This is not about you. So don't think for once you have enemies working against you."

"Then if it is not about me then what is it about?" My mother looked and me and smiled. Had she resigned from her usual habit of being the authoritative mother?

"You were born when your father broke the news to me. I remember I was in the hospital, then. He seemed to be under pressure or worried about something.Seeing him that way, I asked him what the problem was. It took him sometime before he told me he had a son.

It was a shock to me that I had to go through labor pains to bring out a child and then be told by your father that he had a son by another woman. It's a day I will never forget. Then and there, I had to take a decision, to stay with your father or leave."

"And so you decided to stay?" My mother nodded.
"Staying you decided to vent your anger or frustration at me like I was to blame for all that happened?"

"Tola, I had every good reason to leave your father. But he told me, 'Fola you can leave should you choose too. But my daughter stays with me.' I couldn't leave you in the hands of another woman."

"And you both kept this away from me pretending it never happened?"

"Ask your father that question. I've been imploring him for years to tell you that you have a brother. But he said that time will come."In that instant I began to feel that my trip to Abuja was perhaps arranged to make me meet with my brother. But I didn't want to believe this to be true.

 My mother put her hands to her jaws and stared at me. Looking at her I saw a woman who  it seemed had taken a heavy burden off her chest. I took my phone out of my bag and searched for Dr. Abiodun's number. When I found it I called him. I put it on high voice so my mother could hear.

"Mrs. Segun, I wasn't expecting you to call. How may I help you, if I may ask?" He said.

"I just realized, and after so many years that we are family."
"Yes, I was told I have a stubborn kid sister."
"Is that why you did my homework for me?"
"Seeing your condition, I didn't want you to be too stressed." My mother listened attentively when he mentioned the words 'my condition' she was a little upset while I wasn't bothered. My only concern was how I was going to live with this sudden change.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.9K 1.3K 51
"Do you have anything to say?" He shook his head, but never shifted his gaze from her face. "Well then, what do you want?" She snapped, tired of his...
4.4K 715 40
Should our beliefs be based on what we are being told? 'Men are scum', She thought. 'They are cheats and lairs', She claimed. 'They are all the same'...
378 165 18
"Men will stain your white infact wear red, black or blue men will still find a way to stain it" I would have told 16 years old Anita that she shoul...
5.9K 1.3K 18
A murder. A fiance. A jealous secretary. An annoying mother. Oh and A strikingly handsome homicide detective partner. ****************************...