Rose

By babyXvee

Rose never had the ambition or the confidence Lily had. She was always living in the shadow and was always be... More

01
02
03
04
05
06
08
09
10
11.
12.
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
Lily

07

296 11 1
By babyXvee

07

In me the tiger sniffs the rose. - Siegfried Sassoon

"You know it never shocked me that you have such a personality." Rex sat across from me at a nearby cafe. "But do you always appear so aggressive?"

"And what about you? Do you always appear so arrogant?" He laughed.

"No I'm not always like this. But it seems like you don't want me anywhere near you."

"And there is a very good reason for that."

"If you hate me so much, why did you agree to this arrangement?" He leaned forward. "To save your family from bankruptcy?"

"Why are you asking obvious questions for?" He chuckled.

"If your family is so desperate for money, why didn't they sell your sister to Kingsley just like how they sold you to me?" My eyes widened as I stared at the man sitting in front of me, his words are irritable.

"How did you-"

"Here's a little advice for you Lily, you've got to understand the business world if you want to step into it. You always have to be the first to know everything if you want to survive. Knowledge like this is easy to gain and with the knowledge you gain, you'll know what your enemy is going to do." He leaned back against his seat and picked up his cup of coffee. "It's interesting what your parents are thinking, why would they decline Kingsley's proposal but not mine?"

"What are your plans anyways? Why do you want to marry me?" I asked.

"My plans are simple, I simply want to make you the wife of Rex Luckwaldt."

"Then I don't see why we still need to be together right now." I stood from my seat. "We are engaged through contract, so it's best we don't waste each other's time trying to get to know each other."

"That's where you're wrong Lily." He replied, "I'll like to get to know my wife."

"Then please get to know me after hours, unlike you I am a very busy person and there are things I need to get done."

"You're right, I may not be working at the company with my older brother. But that doesn't mean my time isn't worth anything. So I suggest you to enjoy the time with me or else we'll have some trouble with the contract."

I stared at the arrogant man. I did say that I barely get angry at anyone, I wasn't even angry at Aiden for the words and actions he did last night, but here I am getting irritated at this man in front of me. Maybe it's because I'm trying to be Lily right now, and if I was Lily she would already be choking the guy. And he's here threatening me right now? Just as I was about to speak, my phone rang. I dug out my phone from my purse and it felt like Lily knew what was happening and was calling me at the right time.

"I'm going to take this call." I informed Rex before making me way out of the cafe and onto the busy street.

"Did you get him off your tail yet?" Lily spoke before I had a chance to mutter my hello.

"No I didn't." I sighed, "Was Rex Luckwaldt always known to be an arrogant guy?"

"To be honest, I tried to research about the Luckwaldt and there's not much about them on the media. The older son is Jason Luckwaldt and the younger son is Rex Luckwaldt. The sons of the family barely shows their faces to the media. They have a very good relationship with the media so they can easily manipulate information if they want to."

"So I guess we'll need to hire a PI if we want to figure anything out right?"

"Yes but I don't think we're financially stable enough to cough out unnecessary expenses." I heard Lily grunting on the other side of the line. "And just hurry and shake him off, I need to finish that project Rose."

"I know, I know I'm trying my best." I held back the fact that he's threatening me right now but there's no point of telling her that because she'll only get angry. "I'll keep you updated okay?" With that we hung up. I sighed and breathed in the city air and absorbed the noises around me.

Being Lily is definitely stressful and this is my second time being her. Would it be the same if I was engaged to Aiden instead of being with Rex? Never mind Aiden, would I be less stress if I was just me being engaged to Rex? I wouldn't need to put up this fiasco and fool someone and be someone I'm not. I shook my head clear, this isn't how I should be thinking. I am Lily Starr, I'm doing this for my family...

Just as I was thinking, there was a sudden honk from a car and tires squeaking across the concrete road. All heads turned to the sound of the commotion and at the intersection not too far from where I was standing, it looked like there was an accident.

There was an elderly woman sitting on the sideway near the curb with her groceries scattered out onto the road. The driver of the car was angrily yelling at the woman, screaming at her to watch where she was walking as she stepped off the curb when it was green. Everyone around her simply watched and even as the driver drove off, no one was by her side to aid her. Everyone went back to their busy daily lives and whatever they just witnessed didn't matter to them. I walked towards the woman who was still sitting on the street.

"Are you alright?" I kneeled down beside her. "Are you hurt anywhere?"

"Oh silly me, I must have not been looking where I was going." She smiled weakly at me and she began to gather her soiled groceries off the street.

"Please just sit down, I'll pick everything up for you. It wasn't your fault, that driver was ridiculously rude." I held her hand back and that's when I realized the cuts on her hands when she fell. "We better get this treated."

"They're just a few cuts, nothing I never had before. Don't worry about me, I'm sure you're busy and I hate to keep you around." She replied but I shook my head.

"Don't worry," I smiled as I gathered her groceries. Or whatever that's left of it since most of it was crushed underneath passing traffic. "Are you hurt anywhere else? Can you stand?" I asked and she nodded.

"Oh thank you so much." She said weakly as I helped her onto her feet. "So rare to see such kind ladies especially in the city."

"Are you from around here?" I asked and she shook her head.

"I use to live in the country side just a couple hours away from here. But my son decided that it's best to live with him, so here I am. Though I hate the city air, it's so polluted." I laughed.

"Well you must have a lovely son," I smiled. "Should we take you to the hospital just to have a checkup in case?"

"Oh dear, of course not. I'm perfectly fine, I can get home alright."

"Are you sure? I can take you home if you don't mind. What about your groceries? Would you need me to get whatever you lost?"

"Thank you but it's okay lovely. I'll get my son to pick things up later on in the day. Besides you do have quite a handsome man waiting for you." She replied and I arched an eyebrow, what man is waiting for me? As I thought that, I turned my head and found Rex standing just a few feet away from me. A smirk on his face and his hands shoved in the pockets of his jeans. Shit! Whatever I just did was out of Lily's character and he witnessed it all! "Thank you once again." She smiled and then she slowly walked away with her groceries in hand.

"I thought you ran away even after our talk." I heard Rex's voice behind me. "Who knew Lily Starr has such a personality."

"It's common sense to help others who are in distress." I explained and he took a step closer towards me.

"Maybe you should stop the act now," He muttered and I gulped. Act? Did he figure it out just by that? Did he figure out that I'm not Lily but Rose?

"What act?" I asked without shuttering but he said nothing.

"Nothing," He smirked and then took a step back. "Unfortunately I do have other arrangements that I need to attend to."

"What is this?" I asked, "You ask me on a date to get to know me, but yet you're leaving after just an hour?"

"Sweetie, I know you want to be with me more." No I do not I replied mentally. "But what I saw earlier is more than enough to know you."

"What does that mean?" I asked and he shrugged his shoulders.

"Come on, I'll drive you back to your studio." He offered his hand out and completely ignored my question.

"Thank you but no thanks. I believe you said you have other arrangements, it's rude to make them wait. I can take the cab back since it's not too far from here." I told him and he chuckled.

"Very well then." He took a step forward again. "We'll be seeing each other very often from now on, we should get familiar with each other." He added and then he kissed me on the cheek. My hand immediately covered my cheek and I could still feel the sensation his lips left on it. Yes we may be engaged but it was sudden and I wasn't expecting him to kiss me since we established our dislike for one another. I felt my cheeks burning up but I still had a role to play, I am Lily Starr! What would she say? What would she do?!

"Don't be so shocked Lily," He continued, "We are engaged you know, this is something you'll have to get use to as well."

"I rather not." I replied and quickly halted a taxi on the road.

"Take care!" He called out just as I slammed the door to the taxi shut.

I told the driver to take me to my bakery and as the taxi drove away, I was back to myself again. Oh my god, why the hell did he kiss me!? Yes we're engaged but only by contract! There's no love involved between us so why?! Why did that kiss make my heart fluster?...Is it because I've never been kissed or had a boyfriend since Junior in college? Ugh, I feel like a high school girl all over again.

(-)

The sweet smell of the cupcakes filled my nostrils, yes this is what I love, this is who I am. I've only been Lily twice and I've never been happier to just be me.  The joy of whisking flour and sugar together, the smell of the batter baking in the oven as the minutes goes by, the concentration needed to create the perfect spiral icing on top of the cupcake, the excitement of a customer taking a bite out of the soft cake. Yes this is my life.

I was sitting behind the counter of my bakery while I watched my customers enjoying their cup of coffee and pastries. It has been nearly a week since the so-called date with Rex, there were no surprise dates, phone calls, or texts which I've expected it to happen. Especially since after he said we'll be seeing each other more often and the...kiss...I blushed. I am such a school girl! It was just a kiss on the cheek, it wasn't like it was on my lips or anything like that!

Of course I told Lily everything that happened that day just in case he decides to pull a surprise visit to her at the studio. She wasn't very happy with the kiss and had told me to kneel him in the groin if it happened again because that would be something she would do. Lily's life has been crazy because of what happened, the staffs at her studio began to question her about the commotion. Her staff has been with her since forever so they know about our sister relationship and it's rare for me to visit her alone. If I ever visited her, it was always with my Mom so they might find what we're doing suspicious.

It wasn't like Lily worked with her best friend like I am with Mia, there's no one to tell the secret to. Though I would expect her staff to be trusted right? I mean they've been together since...forever. There should be someone Lily could tell this secret to and it'll be a lot easier for me to move around there if someone knew. Lily thought that it would be best if I knew all of her staff so that evening of the date, I was dumped with files and files that I needed to memorize. From every single staff, to their jobs, to Lily's designs, and even her schedule to prevent our secret from getting exposed.

I sighed silently to myself, as I rested my elbows on top of the counter and propped my head up with my hands and drummed my fingers against my cheeks. Even though I've moved in with Lily for a week now, we never really talked because there was nothing to talk about besides Rex or her sudden pop quizzes about her life. Lily knows Mia since we've all went to the same high school together and she's been my best friend since then. She didn't need to really know Michelle except for the fact that she's Mia's younger sister. I would wake up way before she would and Lily tends to stay out until morning when I'll be asleep. On the rare occasion when we're both home, Lily occupies herself behind her laptop or sketchbook.  

We've tried researching on Rex and his family but we found nothing. His family seems to be very private and there isn't any photos of Rex or his older brother, Jason the current CEO of the company. It just makes everything about his family so suspicious.

"What are you daydreaming about?" Mia startled me from behind and I jumped.

"Uh, nothing!" I smiled at her but she rolled her eyes at me. She walked pass me and leaned against the counter beside me.

"You were blushing earlier." Uh oh, I was caught.

"No I wasn't!"

"Rose Starr, you cannot lie to me even if you want to."

"But I'm lying to-"

"Don't get me started with that Rose." She shot daggers at me and I pouted like a child caught stealing from the cookie jar.

"Yes I know, I walked into that one." I giggled.

"So are you stopping it yet?" I shook my head. "Why? You're miserable Rose-"

"I'm not!" I protested, "I can't just stop now Mia, things are starting to look good for my parents with the funds from Luckwaldt. The project they're working on is starting and after it's finished we'll be back on our feet. The board of directors are watching my parents right now and since they've been together for so long, they're giving them one chance to fix it."

"But look at you Rose," Mia pointed at me from head to toe. "You're a complete mess."

I stared down at myself to see what she was talking about, yes I may not be dressed to impress anyone with my hair up in a messy bun with a plain navy v-neck t-shirt denim shorts, and a pair of ballet flats. Heck I was even wearing my glasses because I was too lazy to put contacts in.

"I'm not trying to impress anyone Mia. Plus it's more comfortable wearing comfortable clothes to work anyways." Mia sighed.

"You didn't even bother concealing those dark circles under your eyes either and your eyes are red. How much sleep do you even get at night? You've been staying up to memorize everything about your sister's life haven't you?" She folded her arms across her chest as she stared intensely down at me.

"I get enough sleep Mia, don't worry!" I told her but she stood there staring at me like a teacher while I was a grade school and I've done something bad. "Okay! I sleep past midnight."

"Rose Starr!" She exclaimed and caught a few of our regulars turning their heads towards us. "That's only three hours or four at most when you wake up way before the crack of dawn! You're going to get sick if this continues Rose-"

"Mia please!" I whispered, "People are watching us!" Mia looked around and our regulars were still staring at us but they returned to whatever they were doing a few seconds later. "I'm fine Mia, really I am." I placed my hand on her arm.

Just as Mia was about to open her mouth to say something, the bell chimed cueing us that we had a customer to serve. As we turned to greet our customers, I was not expecting him to show up.

"Aiden this was the place right?" The familiar blonde woman, Hailey walked beside the man with piercing hazel eyes that were on me. "It seems lovely in here!"

"And that guy," Mia whispered in my ears, "I totally forgot to ask you who the hell that guy is. He was the one that sat here not too long ago to wait for you right?" I nodded with my eyes locked on his as well. Mia knew what to do, she left my side and when to serve them.

"Hello welcome to Rosemary, how may I help you?" Mia greeted Hailey on the other side of the counter. Aiden's eyes were still on me but he looked away to smile at the woman beside him.

Of all the times I've seen Aiden, he was always in a fitted tailored suit, but today he was wearing casually. He was wearing a short sleeved blue and white plaid dress shirt that showed us his biceps and chest. He was also wearing a pair of dark jeans with a leather belt looped through and his pair of Aviator sunglasses was hooked on his collar. Hailey was dressed down as well with her black loose blouse and a pair of denim shorts. Her blonde hair was in a beautiful French braid. They must be on a date or something.

"I'll like-" Hailey paused and then I realized her eyes were on me, she must have noticed me staring at her. "Oh! You're...I know you!" I stood from my seat and smiled at her as I stood beside Mia.

"Hi," I started, "I believe you're Hailey right?"

"Yes!" She exclaimed with a smile. "You're Rose right? Lily's identical twin." I smile and nodded. "Oh my goodness, it's been a while right? I swear you look so different when you're not all dressed up like a doll! You're so beautiful even without makeup, I am so jealous."

"Thanks but I know I look terrible right now."

"I understand," She winked at me, "One of those days where you just don't give a crap right?"

"I guess so" I laughed.

"It's such a coincidence to see you here, do you work here?" She asked and I nodded.

"Yes, I'm the owner here." I informed her and she gasped while nudging Aiden beside her.

"I've been craving for the cupcakes that were at your company anniversary dinner for so long and you never told me where it was until I asked you-"

"We're here now Hailey," Aiden cut her off before she could finish her sentence. "Now hurry up and order, you're holding up the line." I looked past the couple and I didn't realize that other customers walked in.

"Oh shoot! Okay I want-" Hailey turned her attention back to Mia as she gave her order.

It was awkward for me to stand there and I didn't know why. I'm a very social person and I love to talk to people. But with Aiden, it was awkward and I just couldn't find a topic to talk about. Maybe it's because of our history together, especially since our last encounter wasn't very pleasant... Oh shoot, I still have to apologize to him for acting out of line the last time we've met. I said some things I shouldn't have said and I promised myself that I would apologize to him if I were to see him. But when would I find a good opportunity to say it?

"Look Mommy!" A little girl ran up and pressed her face against the glass display. "Look at all the pretty cupcakes!" The Mother of the little girl came into the bakery and grabbed her tiny hands. Clearly the Mom had no intention of purchasing a cupcake or anything for the matter, her daughter must have ran in herself.

"Ellie! Don't run off on your own like that." Her Mom quietly scowled her.

"But Mommy, look at how pretty these cupcakes are, can I have one?" She begged her Mom but she shook her head.

"No you cannot, I'll go home and bake them for you okay?" The little girl pouted and was on the verge of crying. The Mom was gently yanking her daughter away but the sad look on the little girl's face was unsettling.

"Hey sorry, excuse me hold on for one moment." I called out to the Mother. She stopped and looked over her shoulder. I walked around the counter and crouched in front of the little girl.  

"What's your name?" I asked her with a smile.

"My name is Ellie." She said quietly, fighting back the tears. She was too cute to resist.

"Hello Ellie, I'm Rose." I patted her hair. "Which cupcake would you like?"

"Excuse miss," The Mother addressed me, "We're not purchasing anything."

"Don't worry, it's on me okay?" I smiled at her before returning my attention to the little girl and I held my hand out for her to take. She stared at her Mother for a moment before she carefully placed her hand in mine. I took her back towards the display to allow her to choose which cupcake she'll like.

"This one." She pointed to the summer berry cupcake. I smiled at her and headed back behind the counter to pack up the cupcake for her. I returned a few minutes later and handed it to her and she had the biggest smile on her face that made me love what I do even more.

"Thank you Rosie!" She hugged my legs and I smiled at her. I looked up at her Mother and she gave me a soft smile.

"It may just be a cupcake but the smile it brings, it's a worth it don't you think?" I asked the Mother.

"Thank you," She replied before walking out with her daughter.

"That is such a sweet thing for you to do Rose!" Hailey appeared behind me and I completely forgot that they were still here.

"Oh thanks." I smiled, "I never feel good when someone leaves here with a frown on their face."

"You're so kind hearted Rose!" She exclaimed and all I could do was smile.

"And it's a disease." Mia added from behind the counter. It seems like it was a chain effect because my regulars started commenting as well.

"That's our Rose for you, sweetest girl around here." Mrs. Grady, an elderly woman added.

"She always brings a smile to us." Said another.

"Just being in here makes my day." And another.

They kept commenting, teasing, and agreeing with each other that it was embarrassing to hear everything they were saying about me.

"Oh come on everyone," I laughed. "Stop talking about me, it's embarrassing and I have other customers here you know."

"Good, let everyone know what a wonderful girl you are." Mrs. Grady exclaimed while everyone else agreed.

"Mrs. Grady that's enough, please stop." I replied as I joined her at her table.

"A wonderful girl like yourself needs to find a man! You're at marrying age already, how did you like my son the last time you saw him?" Ah here comes Mrs. Grady's matchmaker business.

"Mrs. Grady, your son was a lovely man but I'm sure he'll find a lovely woman himself."

"Mrs. Grady," Mia exclaimed, "Rose has a man herself already." I turned and shot daggers at her, how dare she make up my love life for me?!

"Oh really? That's a shame, let me meet him one day."

"Ah yes, of course." I would if I had one.  

Mrs. Grady was a lovely woman, but when she's trying to set me up with her son, it's going to take hours to pry her off of me or at least to change subjects. Mrs. Grady has always been one of my favourite customers. She may be in her seventies but she was so healthy that even I'm jealous of her. She use to be a journalist but after she retired she began to write novels and even took on Art. She would sit here for hours because she finds the best inspiration here in my bakery. Her novels weren't published or anything, it was mainly a hobby but I've always enjoyed them whenever I read them.

I didn't know how long I spent talking to Mrs. Grady about my love life but as I returned behind the counter, I realized that Hailey and Aiden were still in the bakery, sitting at the table by the front window. Hailey is a cheerful woman, she was talkative and quite lovely from just talking to her. Aiden on the other hand is disinterested in the conversation and only replying whenever she asked him a question. Most of the time he was staring down at his cup of coffee and Hailey was the only one enjoying the pastries.

"He's hot." Mia whispered beside me and my heart nearly leaped out of my chest. "So are you ever going to tell me about him? What is your relationship with him?"

"Mia!" I exclaimed, placing my hands against my racing heart. Once again, we've caught the attention of the bakery, including Aiden and Hailey. I furrowed my eyebrows and dragged Mia closer to me and ignored everyone else around us. "Do you mind Mia? He's right there!" I whispered angrily into her ears.

"You were staring at him." She smirked.

"No I wasn't!"

"Miss Rose Starr, you are unable to lie to me why can't you get that into your head?" I hate myself for that sometimes. "I think he's interested in you, why don't you go over there and talk to him?"

"Are you out of your mind Mia?! His girlfriend is right there!"

"I don't think that blonde chick is his girlfriend Rose. I could tell just by the way he looked at you the moment he walked in. Besides what kind of man would wait hours for you to return?!"

"What look?!" I gasped and shook my head. "Actually never mind, don't tell me. I really don't want to know."

"Well are you ever going to tell me who he is?"

"Uh he's-" Suddenly my phone started to ring which saved me from explaining everything to Mia. However the caller was going to put me in more misery than Mia would ever.

"Oh crap, it's Rex." I said it a little bit too loudly. I quickly looked over at Aiden hoping that he didn't hear what I just said. Luckily he was just lounging in his chair and looking disinterested in the conversation with Hailey. "I have to take this Mia."

"Oh come on!" Mia exclaimed as I ran to the back and into my office where it was nice and quiet. I settled my breathing before I pressed my phone against my ear.

"Hello Rex." I said it in a very displeased tone of voice just as Lily would.

"You sound very enthusiastic to hear my voice my love." Rex replied and I could feel the smirk on his face. "And here I was thinking about how much you missed me."

"What do you want Rex?" I bit the bottom of my lips, it was so hard to be harsh to someone.

"I just missed you. I thought you would have at least called or texted me since we haven't seen each other for a week." He chuckled softly. "So I've heard that your parents' company is starting to do well again aren't they? But what about you? Surely you've been affected as well, how are you coping?"

What? Lily's having trouble with her business as well? I began running through my mind if I remembered anything about it but nothing particular about it came to mind. If I ask Lily about it, will she even tell me?

"That's none of your business." I replied as best as I could. I heard Rex kissing his teeth on the other side of the line.

"You're my fiancée, of course it's my business as well Lily. I want you and my in-laws to do well, don't you know my family invested a lot in?"

"What is it that you really want Rex?"

"Oh my parents would just like to have dinner with yours. They already scheduled the dinner to take place at Le Blanc Papillon. I just thought that I'll be the one to inform you since you are my fiancée." He chuckled and I gasped silently. We're having a dinner and my parents agreed to it?! Of course they'll agree to it, there's no way to say no when we're inferior to them right now.

"Why are we having dinner?"

"We are marrying Lily, of course it's common for us to have dinner together." He replied. "And since I want to be a very loving husband, I've decided to pick you up from your studio."

"What? That's unnecessary Rex, I do drive you know."

"I'll get an assistant to take your car back to your condo. Lily I hope you know that I'm not giving you a chance to say no, I do want to get to know you better." Rex pointed out and I had nothing to say. It's difficult for me to be Lily and since I don't have her personality, it was hard to improvise everything. "I'll be waiting outside your studio at six thirty." He added before hanging up.

It was a little bit past four o'clock right now so it leaves us around two hours and thirty minutes before we face Rex. I quickly called Lily to tell her the sudden event and we agreed that it was a good idea to meet back at her place, switch identities and from there I would drive back to her studio while Lily would head to the restaurant directly. Now that I think about it, two hours and thirty minutes isn't a lot of time. I gathered my things together and hopefully my early start would ensure us enough time to pull this off.

"I have to go," I told Mia as soon as I was at the front of the bakery.

"Rose are you still-"

"I'm sorry, I'm going have to let you and Michelle close again." I gave her one last apologetic look before rushing towards the door.

"Oh leaving so early Rose? Are you meeting your boyfriend?" Mrs. Grady called out to me. Would Rex be considered my boyfriend? I didn't know how to answer her so I simply smiled at her and said my goodbyes.

Just before I pulled the door open, I felt a strong hand grabbing me by the arm and dragging me out. The doorbell chimed and then I could smell the city air, it all happened so far that I didn't know what was going on. I looked at who was dragging me and my eyes widened when I saw Aiden dragging me down the street. Why was he still here? What about Hailey? Wait, where is she?

"Uh, what?" I was still trying to grasp the whole situation. "Mr. Kingsley what are you doing?" I tried to fight back but he was way too strong for me.

"I have a social dinner to attend to tonight and I need a date." He replied without looking at me as he dragged me. We stopped beside a black Range Rover parked by the curb and he opened the door for me.

"Wait, what?" I started, finally about to comprehend everything. "I'm sorry Mr. Kingsley I cannot attend this social dinner with you tonight, I have previous arrangements."

"Like you said, they are arrangements, now just rearrange them and we won't have a problem." He held the door open and his body against it.

"Mr. Kingsley you're being unreasonable! I have an important dinner to attend to this evening!"

"With who? This boyfriend of yours?" He smirked and I bit the bottom of my lips. He was listening to my conversation with Mrs. Grady the entire time!

"That's none of your business Mr. Kingsley-"

"It's Aiden." He cut me off and I stared at him. "I told you to just call me Aiden."

"I don't think we know each other enough for me to call you that, we have no relationship whatsoever-" Suddenly he bend down and his face was centimeters away from mine and it made my heart beat faster.

"Then get to know me." He muttered and I took a step back because he was too close to me.

"Mr. Kingsley, we have no reason to get to know each other. My family has no business with you so-"

"But I have business with you Miss Starr." He cut me off again. I studied the man in front of me, he was casually leaning against the car door with a grin on his face. For some reason, it felt like he's just teasing me and it felt like he's a stubborn little boy and won't give up until he gets what he wants.

"I'm sorry Mr. Kingsley, I don't have time to attend this dinner with you. What about your girlfriend, Hailey? Where did she go anyways?"

"Hailey isn't my girlfriend Miss Starr." He corrected, "And she left because she had dinner with some of her friends that were visiting from overseas."

"Oh."

"Yes oh." He straightened his back and took a step towards me. "And now she left me dateless and Aiden Kingsley doesn't arrive dateless."

"Oh well...uh you can always ask Mia or Michelle! I'm sure they're free tonight. But I'm sorry Mr. Kingsley, I really have to get going." I told him one last time before I turned my heel to walk back to my car. However his hand grabbed my wrist and pulled me back towards him. He spun me around to face him and trapped me between his body and his car.

"I guess we'll be doing this the hard way Miss Starr." He gave me a smug smile before forcefully seating me into the passenger seat of his Range Rover. He slammed the door before I could protest and he locked the door before I could swing it open again.

"This is considered kidnapping Mr. Kingsley." I exclaimed as soon as he climbed into the driver's seat.

"It wouldn't have been if you listened." He ignited the engine and merged into the traffic.

"Mr. Kingsley!"

"Aiden." He corrected.

"Mr. Kings-"

"Aiden." He cut me off and I grunted.

"I have an important dinner to attend to, I have to go." I pledged. Aiden looked at me from the corners of his eyes and then he started to dial someone's number.

"Mr. Kingsley," I heard Luke's voice from the car's Bluetooth system.

"Luke, I want you to call the Starr family and notify them that Miss Rose Starr will not be able to attend their dinner tonight." And the line quickly died.

"Mr. Kingsley!" I exclaimed but he ignored me. Suddenly I replayed his order to Luke. The Starr family? How did he know I was having dinner with my family? Has he been..."How did you know I was having dinner with my family?!"

Aiden looked at me and then cursed under his breath as he clenched his hands against the steering wheel.

"It's not what you think." He started.

"I think you have something to explain to me Mr. Kingsley." I waited for his answer and eventually he sighed.

"I had Luke monitor your parents." He started. "Now before you say anything, it's common for businessmen to keep track of what's on the market and how other companies are like. Your parents' company isn't the only one I monitor."

"And you monitor their personal lives too?!"

"We need to know who everyone is meeting Miss Starr. Business is mainly about contracts and investments. Whoever has the best offer tend to get the deal, we need the knowledge to play the best hand possible."

"But even I just found out about the dinner twenty minutes ago!" I exclaimed.

"I told you Luke is a good worker." Aiden smiled and I just sat there. What was I supposes to do now? Lily is going to kill me, my parents are going to kill me. What are they going to think?! I'm going as Aiden Kingsley's date to a social dinner instead of being with my family to deal with the Luckwaldt!

"I'm sorry Mr. Kingsley, I really can't attend this dinner. I have to be with my family." I apologized. "Besides I'm not even anywhere near presentable right now!" He shot another glance at me and smirked.

"Miss Starr, your appearance can be easily dealt with. Please stop finding excuses to not attend as my date. By now I'm pretty sure your parents-" Suddenly my phone rang and for some reason it felt like Aiden expected it to come.

I pulled out my phone and of course my Mom was calling me. Sometimes Aiden's timing can be a little bit scary but somehow I expected my parents to call me. Just as I was about to answer the call, Aiden's hand came out of nowhere and snatched my phone away from me. He turned my phone off and then tossed it into the back seat.

"What are you doing?!" I turned around and stared at my phone sitting at the back.

"You don't need to answer that call Miss Starr," He replied. "In fact, I think it's best that you don't have your phone on you because it's going to save you from a lot of stress."

"What are you talking about? My parents need me at that dinner!"

"Oh really? For what?" He asked just as he stopped at the intersection. He turned and looked intensely at me. There's no way I was going to tell him that they need me to be Lily! If something like this gets out, my family will be finished and that's the entire reason why I'm doing this. I couldn't help but look away and I stared at my hands resting on my lap.

"Nothing," I muttered, giving up the argument.

"Good, now I don't think there's a problem being my date right?" He gave me another smug smile just as the traffic lights turned green.

I glanced over at Aiden from the corners of my eyes, he had a victory smile on his face while I sat in my seat completely defended. God, when was the last time I ever argued with someone? Truthfully...I never do.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.2K 875 199
Sometimes life doesn't go like you plan. Kaya knows that better than most. It's why she ran to the city. It's why she can't afford romance. Kaya woul...
3K 205 32
"Why didn't you fight them?" I asked her, not believing she just stood there doing nothing, the girl I knew was so daring that she did not need savin...
111K 4.7K 36
"Life is made up of years that mean nothing and moments that mean it all." (unknown) When Claire makes her choice, she knows the consequences will be...
16.7K 338 15
Sorry for the terrible cover, I rushed it. Slow updates yay (KO and Tko are aged up to 17, and this is another twin au) ~~~ Y/n was always the advent...