Infatuation (King George III...

By Mochi_De_Llama

"I thought I said not to cause any trouble, my dear." George chimes, playing with something in his vest pocke... More

*Important* Author's note
~1~ Preporations
~2~ The men in red coats
~3~ Solace for the shy
~4~ Pathetic prowess
~6~ Baking and bonding time
~7~ Pies, flowers, and the sound of dying laughter
~8~ Not so golden feeling
~9~ Breathless Pt.1
~10~ Breathless Pt.2
~11~ Kidnapped by a king
~12~ Sailing away from safety
~13~ Unease
~14~ Reciprocation
~15~ Silent slumber
~16~ Loose threads of a plan
~17~ England Pt.1: Undercover redcoat
~18~ England Pt.2: Arrival
~19~ England Pt.3: Home
~20~ Tea and townspeople
~21~ Shaken up stargazing
~22~ Through the quiet halls
~23~ Common introductions
~24~ The soft sounds of music
~25~ Stories to dream Pt.1 Child-like smiles
~26~ Stories to dream Pt.2 Questions and concerns
~27~ Stories to dream Pt.3 Unreal
~28~ A letter
~29~ My little linnet bird
~30~ Small piece of hope
~31~ Frustrations
~32~ Watching it burn
~33~ Tears in tea
~34~ Closed off confession
~35~ Communication and compromise
~36~ Red and restful reading Pt.1
~37~ Red and restful reading Pt. 2
~38~ Red and restful reading Pt.3
~39~ Soft, quiet, and calm
~40~ Helpful hands
~41~ You're my favorite subject
~42~ Teaching a broken winged bird to fly
~43~ Faltering hope
~44~ Coat of gray
~45~ Fields of green
~46~ The calming senses of hidden guilt
~47~ Golden glint
~48~ To listen, to reason
~49~ Sleepless
~50~ Forever to be dear to you
~51~ Curious questions
~52~ Sorrowful suspicions
~53~ Open, and honest
~54~ Our dearly beloved
~55~ Indecisive
~56~ Mid-day shower
~57~ Quiet moment
~58~ An evening to remember Pt.1
~59~ An evening to remember Pt.2
~60~ A nice little talk
~61~ Hues of white
~62~ Careful eyes
~63~ Life as it happened
~64~ Only you...
~65~ Early morning memory
~66~ Upon fond memories
~67~ A quiet fondness
~68~ Sincerity
~69~ Open up and one's soul will glisten

~5~ Eyes that cut diamonds

5.4K 169 79
By Mochi_De_Llama

*Edited: 1-9-2022*
Word count: 4001

My gaze was glued to the small boy – the feeling pinching in my chest pushing me forward and drowning out most of the words my friends confusingly called out to me.

But I knew something bad could happen if I just stood idly by, it would happen and in a sense already was by the child's sly actions; and as the boy dropped a few more pieces of brightly colored produce in the cloth bag hanging on his shoulder he steps back from the cart and I quicken my pace to a slight jog — the air in my lungs becoming stale within moments - hitching with cold fear as the small, lanky figure of the boy falls, having tripped over his feet due to his focus on the pair of people now snapping their gaze in his direction.

The boy's gasp hadn't even registered in my mind.

"Hey!?" The older man's voice was low, agitated and a pained expression had no trouble finding my features - my eyes glued to the few red hued apples, bright oranges, and various berries now strewn across the street - some still slowly rolling to a stop.

It was in that split few seconds that his frame scrambled to his knees, turning to look at the man who was now marching towards him with a mind full of many words.

"You little brat-"

"Wait–" I call out as the small boy ceases his action of wanting to stand, his fearful frame only allowing him to push backwards as he sat on the hard ground and as the older man's eyes met my face I had practically ran in between himself and the child that now lay behind me - his eyes firmly planted on my back.
"There's no need for anger." My words were quick, my hands raising out in front of me as if to keep the man at a reasonable distance from myself and the child.

Yet my actions didn't seem to please the older gentleman, his brow narrowing in displeasure as his lurking frame stepped forward.

"Piss off woman, this doesn't involve you." He hisses in a scratchy tone, and despite my fear almost demanding my body crumble, I stay where I stood - my heart beginning to beat against my chest in quickening succession.

"We don't need to fly off the handle-"

"I said piss off." He steps forward, his frame towering over mine as easily as his gaze burned into my soul. "I won't ask you again."

"And I'm just asking that you listen-" my words cut in, wavering in a more nerve-filled tone. "There's no reason we can't handle this in a respectful manner, and there's no need to cause a bigger scene."
My left hand gestures to the side - at the small crowd of onlookers - and the man scoffs.

"You're trying my patience." He responds.

"I'm sure the boy meant no harm."

"No harm?"
It was his turn to cut me off, and his expression held a truth to his last statement.
"The thief stole from my cart- not to mention has ruined my produce."

I take a breath, nodding slowly. "Now please...just stay calm. Give me just a moment."
I then turn with care, my eyes falling on the boy - and I would've been surprised that he hadn't ran away, if it weren't for the expression etched on his features.

His eyes forced themselves down to the ground, his hands balling as I offer an unseen smile and extend my hand towards him.

"Here." I start and his eye glance up, his hand hesitant to grab mine, but eventually he does and I help pull him up off the ground. He shifts on his feet, his eyes once again glued to the ground as I look him over, my hands making careful work of dusting the stray specks of dirt off his shoulders.

"That was quite the fall." I speak up, hearing him swallow and my hands go to the open collar of his loose white shirt, adjusting it as he stays silent.
With a gentle hand I lift his chin, looking at his expression as I offer him a reassuring smile - sensing his unease towards the man waiting behind us - and my thumb dusts off his cheek.
"Don't pay mind to him." My soft spoken words catch the boy's attention, his pale eyes shifting to my features.
"You didn't get hurt, did you?'

He shakes his head stiffly and I nod, making a small gesture towards his right shoulder.

"Do you mind if I borrow your bag? We shouldn't just leave good items laying on the ground."
Once again he seemed hesitant - yet, with slow hands he removes the cloth item from his shoulder, handing it to me as if he'd been scolded for having it.

"Thank you." I smile, taking it with care, my voice almost a whisper. "Wait here, I'll be just a moment."

My frame turns, taking a few steps forward before kneeling down and my free hand makes quick work of picking up the few apples splayed out on the ground along with a few small berries - the sound of heels moving behind me being soft - and as I stand, my eyes then meet with Kenna, who helps place the few remaining pieces of produce in the bag.
A smile turns my lips up, and I mouth a quick thank you before opening and sifting through the contents of the satchel resting near my hip.

I stop in front of the male, taking out a few pence and a shilling.
The coins click together, falling into the man's hand before I look up at him.
"I'm sure he meant no ill will."

"He still needs discipline." The man mumbles and I subtly shake my head.

"And that decision will be left to his guardians. Discipline is meant to teach them, so they can learn from wrongful actions; it's not meant to be an excuse to cause them harm." I respond softly, taking a breath.
"That should cover the troubles, correct?"

The older man stays silent, opting for a simple nod after a moment and I smile before turning back and walking over to the small boy by Kenna's side.

"I didn't have many choices..." the boy croaks as I hand him the bag, placing it back over his shoulder.

"Why's that?" I question and he looks up at me.

"My father's fallen ill...he can't work much if at all and my mother's always busy looking after my twin brothers. I've overheard them talking about money being tight so I've been looking for somethin' that'll pay- and I know what I did was wrong but...I was desperate. I-I just wanted to help out my family."

"And there's nothing wrong with that." I say, thinking for a moment before my hand pulls out a small bag containing what was left of the few coins I had. I lean down a little more as I place it in his hand - his pale eyes watching mine with a look of hidden surprise as if he were searching for my reasoning.

"But...why?"

"Think of it, as a potential first payment."

"'Payment'?" The boy questions. "What for?"

"Well, if your parents are alright with it, my boss and I would love to have an extra helping hand at the bakery."

A smile tugs at his lips.
"Like, baking bread and cake?"

"And muffins, rolls, pastries- anything you can think of. We'd be more than happy to teach you." I chuckle softly and he fixes his bag.

"And...I would get paid?" He asks, to which I nod - the small crowd around us shifting.

"Of course. Now, it'll be getting dark soon, so I want you to run along home, and if your parents are alright with it I want you to meet me by that shop over there, around noon tomorrow."
My finger points behind the small boy, gesturing to a simple building that was under renovations across the street - the outside being decorated with medium-sized crates and barrels out front.

He nods before glancing back at me.
"What about the fruit? I feel bad for bruising them."

"Just because something isn't perfect, doesn't mean it can't have value." I smile, straightening before I ruffle his dark hair.
"Do you like pie? Whatever you and your family don't have, we could use to make pie."

The boy smiles at my response, holding the strap of his bag tightly.
"Really?!" His voice held a tone of excitement.

"How about you ask your mother what you need from the market, tomorrow you and I can go for her and make something nice when we're finished."

His smile widens, his head nodding swiftly as he holds the coin bag close.
"Of course- will do miss, thank you!

And with that his small frame turns, passing my friends, who step closer to me - Madeline's face holding an expression I couldn't fully read.

"Next time, can you tell us before you go running off." She comments in a lighthearted, yet still scolding manner.

My eyes shift to the boy - who was currently by an older couple who had stopped him - their hands placing a few more coins into the small bag along with a few other people who wished him well, before he smiled a quick thank you and ran off.

"I'm sorry." I chuckle, fixing my satchel before wringing the strap between my fingers. "I didn't mean to scare you two."

°
°
°
~~~ Meanwhile ~~~
(The king's pov)

°
°
°

"Hey?!"

Washington's voice fell silent upon hearing the sudden yell - having been going over small details about the shops and places we had passed on our outing to the streets of town.
He stood by my side - the both of us accompanied by many of our best soldiers - and as my gaze shifted to the general's profile I knew within moments that he too had a feeling something was wrong.

"You little brat-"

"You two, go on ahead and see what's going on." Washington orders in a more soft tone, sending a few soldiers ahead as he then looks towards me.
"I'm certain it's nothing, your majesty, but-"

"It's better to be safe than sorry." I respond, finishing the general's sentence as I somewhat force a chuckle, my wrist rolling as my gaze glanced towards his.

The taller male's expression told me a few key things within a moment - his subtle need to go lend his help, to 'play hero' in front of the townsfolk being a prominent thought showing through his eyes.
And yet, he held back - opting to stay by my side as he too knew of some colonists who still weren't in good terms with my presence.
It was a decision he had made for both my safety and my 'best interests', though it was one I had mixed feelings for, for more than one key reason.

"But, there's also no sense in waiting back here, if something were indeed to happen, don't you think more soldiers being present could help...diffuse the situation?"
I chose my words with an ounce of care, watching his brow furrow in needed thought.

"With all due respect, your majesty, I think it best-"

"Come now," I force another small chuckle and more sly, half smile. "we're not made of glass. We'll be fine."

The taller male reluctantly follows, staying close as we step towards the forming crowd ahead of us - the words wanting to play on his lips falling silent as he caught back up to my side, clearly not fully taken by my actions.

"Besides," my tone softens just enough for the male by my left to hear. "aren't you the least bit curious?"

We stopped only a little ways away from what had been going on, the two soldiers the general had sent ahead watching silently from the crowd as if waiting for a proper moment to step in.

The small crowd of people all had differing expressions - each watching the now more quiet scene unfold - and I take notice of two people in particular.

The man was older, his hair thin and speckled with the beginnings of age, and his frame was tall - intimidating towards the much smaller female in front of him.

She seemed much younger in comparison - her hands held out in front of her as if to hold him at a distance - before she nodded slowly and turned.

Washington's words were soft, muttered towards his men and my brow furrows in thought as the female's frame leans forward - being obscured by the people in front of me for just a moment, before she straightens and makes quick work of dusting off the lanky boy standing by her.

The female's profile was sharp, yet soft - holding a much needed kindness for the boy's nerves, and a vague familiarity that soon became clear – clicking into place in my mind.

A cold breath of air greets my lungs.

'It's her. (Y/n)...' My thoughts were careful - as if I were trying out her name and my eyes shine, a small smile playing with my lips.
My gaze follows her frame - watching her and another female pick things off the ground before she returns to the male.

Their words were muffled - unspoken from where I stood - and they soon exchange what I assumed was currency.

My eyes linger on the older man and my expression falls in a subtle change of emotions as he turns, making his way back to the cart filled with different types of fruit.

I had to admit I had many questions on what had taken place, on who had started it - but they all paled in comparison to the thought of her having been so close — Washington would've led me passed here on our outing.
Would I have seen her?
How would she have acted and would Washington have called her over if he too took notice -

I wouldn't have had to imagine how she would've handled it before now.
She'd hold a shy expression, focusing her attention on the ground or on her dress much like she had the other day...but now, a part of me had second thoughts.
The timid thing - to my fore knowledge - didn't seem to be the kind who would run towards possible confrontation.

My eyes shift to the dark haired boy she was conversing with - the two of them smiling and he seemed more outgoing than before.

"Of course- will do miss, thank you!"

'Maybe she finds children less intimidating.'
I hold back a soft chuckle at the thought - my frame silently following behind Washington as he strode forward.

"I'm sorry." Her words were faint, timid - her hands wringing the strap of her satchel.
"I didn't mean to scare you two."

A nervous habit maybe?

"I must say," Washington's voice was back to its more clear tone - catching the three female's attentions, and they turn — my eyes meeting the features of a face that stayed hidden from my view the first time we had met. "You handled that situation very well, Ms. (L/n)."

Her eyes were the first thing I was drawn to; a bright, yet gentle shade of (e/c) woven with so much emotion, kindness, and care - each dancing together like the many untold stories of her life's experiences.
They were the kind you'd love to see shine with happiness, and dread to see filled with tears.

It was the familiar kind of care I was instantly pulled to, and missed greatly.

Her face resembled her eyes, holding a shy - almost cautious expression, but was still tender, warm-hearted, and full of life; her cheeks flushed with a soft shade of red. Her slightly messy (h/c) hair sat in loose curls, some parts falling over her shoulder or her back while a small section was tied up with a light green ribbon that matched the top of her more simple dress - her bangs falling down the side of her face and resting at her cheek.

I felt my heartbeat pick up with a sense of forlorn, familiar pain, becoming more noticeable to me as the female in question instantly overtook my mind.

°
°
°

~~~ ((Y/n)'s pov) ~~~

°
°
°

"General."
The male's sudden appearance - and compliment made my cheeks dust a soft shade of red.
"I do apologize for the commotion."

"Don't apologize. No harm was done." He responds, fixing his jacket as he nods, giving me a reassuring smile.
"That was a very brave thing you did."

I found myself wringing my strap once again as if trying to subtly adjust the small bag sitting on my shoulder - my gaze falling to the ground.
"I was only-"

"There's no need for modesty." Washington cuts me off with a kind tone, chuckling softly as he steps forward and I smile a little more.

"Indeed, it was very brave~" A silky British voice catches my attention and I pull my gaze up - my breathing becoming stale as my eyes shift to a man I hadn't seen fully before.

His eyes were a breathtaking shade of baby blue - a pair unrivaled by others of the same hue and holding many emotions that seemed unreadable to those who hadn't studied each line and blurred dance of the thoughts running through soul's window.
They were gentle, yet full of life - making even the brightest diamonds dull and scratched with imperfections - shining with a calming joy that made the soft red on my cheeks turn a shade darker.
His smile was subtle, just as gentle and caring - yet felt as if it could light up an entire room in an instant; his jawline was sharp, his two curled, gray wig was perfect, with every strand in its place and held back into a sleek, short ponytail.
He stood taller than I was, his posture confident and as perfect as the rest of his figure, his head held high even with the gem encrusted, gold and red crown that sat atop his head.

I swallow at his silent and unintentional intimidation, taking a small breath as I feel my knees wanting to succumb to their newfound need to buckle - although, my head nods, my hands moving to rest near my abdomen as my eyes look back to his.
"T-thank you, your majesty."
My voice wavers as I find my scattered courage.
"But I certainly don't consider it brave."

"Come now, give yourself some credit." Madeline's voice was upbeat - her arms wrapping around mine as she smiles.
"She gave us quite the scare. Just ran off." She says and I hold my hands in front of me.

"We're...sorry to have to cut this short gentlemen," Kenna speaks up, her tone even and her profile suggesting a more unreadable emotion.
"but we have to take our leave. Barbara will need to be informed of (y/n)'s new potential baking buddy." She plasters the small smile on her face - her hand wrapping around mine as she curtsies with her free one before pulling me gently towards her.

Kenna turns - still holding onto me as Madeline catches up, her frame turned as she waves a joyful farewell to the group of men.

"Kenna-" her words were softer.
"Why the hurry? We could have stayed- even just for a minute."

The female in question glances over at the blonde, shaking her head. "Just...had a weird feeling."

"Weird feeling? About what?" The blonde asks and once again Kenna shakes her head.

"Nevermind. Besides, if we stayed you would've kept us there for hours. And the general has enough on his mind as it is."

"Hey?!" Madeline scoffs - the two of them chuckling and I smile a little more — yet, in the back of my mind, a part of me wanted to look back, to get one more look at those entrancing blue eyes.

~~~

"I was staring at him..." my words broke through the silence that hadn't lasted long as the bakery's front door came closer.

The blonde by my side stops herself from chuckling - her mood as chipper as always and she swings her free hand as she strides forward.
"You're fine. If it makes you feel better, I found myself staring too- he's just so suave!" Her response made us both laugh - Kenna's hand meeting with the handle of the bakery's door, which she turns before something calls out to us.

My gaze turns, falling upon a male, who around my age - his dusty blonde hair messy with the breeze that blew passed his jogging frame.
He wore a simple pair of knee length, dark brown breeches, black shoes, and a loose, white dress shirt with a pair of suspenders hanging over his shoulders - each glazed over with the remnants of fine dirt and hard work.

He stops in front of us, giving us a fluid bow as a greeting and I couldn't help but smile at the familiar face and bright green eyes speckled with brown hues.

"Good evening ladies." He speaks up in a kind tone, a smile tempting his lips up. "Apologies for my intrusion but, I just wanted to ask if your name was (l/n)?" He starts and I nod at his gaze.

"(F/n) (l/n)." I say clearly, giving the male a small cursty before Madeline taps my shoulder.

"We'll wait for you inside." She says softly before she turns - Kenna and herself disappearing behind the door.

"I won't keep you long." He says with a half awkward smile - his frame lean, and a little taller than mine. "I'm Alex. Alex Sanderson."

I return a shy expression, my hands clasped in front of me and I nod once more.
"I remember." I say kindly, "I've seen you in church from time to time. I assume your family is doing well?"

He chuckles, ruffling his blonde hair.
"Yes, we're doing quite well. I've heard what happened with your father a few months back. Is he doing alright?"

"Working through it." I respond in kind. "And he's doing much better."

The blonde's smile widens with care.
"That's good to hear. I saw what you did today in the market, it was impressive- even from afar. I thought you would be too shy to do something like that."

"'Too shy'?" I ask softly and he chuckles.

"Not in a bad way." His words were swift, yet calm. "I just meant that, from my memory you didn't really talk to other people much- at  least from what I had seen when we were younger. You alway kept to yourself and your mother."
His hand falls to his side.
"But even recently I've seen you opening up to other people- it's in town mostly, as I often help my mother with the market. But she often points you out when you're in the bakery."

"Ah." I say in a more timid tone, my cheeks dusted a soft red and he takes a small step closer.

"My mother was very fond of your actions- said what you did for that boy was honorable. And I have to agree." He smiles, glancing towards the three women occupying the back counter of the bakery.
"But I don't want to keep you much longer. I was just curious about you, wanted to possibly get to know you better."

"Really?" I ask with an almost stupid smile on my lips.

He chuckles softly, tilting his head as he places his hands in his pockets.
"Tomorrow?" He asks, "I'll be working on my family's garden, it'll take some time and I'd love to have someone to talk to."

I place my hands behind my back in a subtle mimicking of his actions, smiling softly. "I'd love to help. Should I meet you here tomorrow, around seven-o-clock?"

"Does seven work for you?" He asks and I nod as he smiles more.
"I'll be looking forward to it." He says softly, taking a small step back. "Until then, I wish you well."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

511 289 22
The secret seemed to be etched across my face, the words "traitor" branded on my forehead. I wondered how everyone would feel if they knew what I'd j...
7K 338 27
Back in this day and age, royalty no longer wedded royalty, simply because everyone now wanted to marry for love. Which is why a union like ours woul...
905 36 8
You have just moved back to Tokyo, Japan after moving to Seoul Korea for a few years. Your father got a new job offer back in Tokyo, and with no hesi...
23.7K 1.1K 31
Her back was turned to me, but I still recognised the supple leather armour curved round her body. The first thing I noticed was that her helmet was...