The Beard

Od sky_is_limit

Addressing the face of ignorance? Check. Suddenly getting hit with reality? Check. Wondering how things can c... Více

The Beard
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Epilogue
End Note

Chapter Thirty-Five

174 32 35
Od sky_is_limit

Sebastian was finally back at school. The only thing is, he's been avoiding me and everybody else. I was happy to see he didn't have anymore bruises though. Just a scab on his cheek and slight discoloration from the fight with Cody. Speaking of Cody, I haven't seen an appearance from him either. I almost feel like he's moved or something, but who knows.

I sigh as I settle down on a table outside. It was currently lunch and to be honest, I kind of wanted to be alone with my thoughts. I had to figure out how to get Sebastian to talk to me and how to get Miguel to come around. Miguel was another problem. He's been avoiding me just as Sebastian has.

"Emie?" Someone calls my name. I turn and to my surprise, it's actually Miguel who's called out to me.

I perk up slightly, happy that he's finally talking to me. "Hey, hey." I move my bookbag from the bench and tap the spot next to me. "Sit. It's been a while since we've talked."

Miguel sits next to me, a small, nervous smile on his face. Her runs a hand through his curly hair. His hands runs down, landing on the back of his neck and rubbing the skin there. I've never seen someone so nervous before. Miguel begins fiddling with his fingers after rubbing his neck. I raise an eyebrow.

"Uh, Miguel?" I call out, bending my head so I can meet his gaze head on. "Are you okay? Did you want to talk?"

Miguel looks up at me, a frown on his face. He still looks tired as he did a whole month ago. It's hard to believe that it's actually been a month since I've talked to him, same with Sebastian. He turns to look at me, making me put my head back, straightening my spine so I'm not hunched over.

"Emie-"

"You actually called me Emie." I acknowledge, my eyebrows raised in surprise. I didn't mean to interrupt him, but he had surprised me.

He gives a slight laugh, but I can tell it's forced, not his real one. "Yeah. Liste, Emie. I have to tell you something, okay?"

Slowly, I nod my head, giving him an unsure look. I can only hope that he's not about to tell me some terribly bad news.

"My family and I..." Miguel starts, sighing and rubbing a hand through his hair once again. "We're moving to the city."

My eyelashes rub against my cheeks as I blink rapidly. Of all the things he could tell me, I hadn't expected him to say this. Am I surprised, of course I am. We're a little over a month from graduation and he's moving away?

"You're moving? Why?" I ask and I feel s if my tone is a little on the rude side. It sounded too abrupt for my liking.

Miguel looks away from me, his gaze settling on a tree in the distance. "Aisha's neurologist is in the city. She also has a better chance at getting good treatment there." He informs, glancing at me for a second before returning his gaze to the tree.

"But...school?" Don't get me wrong, I'm so happy that Aisha will be getting the proper treatment, but I don't know. Maybe I'm just feeling reluctant because I got too attached.

Miguel shrugs. "Aisha's more important. Also, my family and I have also talked to the school. They've helped a lot and are going to allow me to finish my classes online, even passed the deadline to sign up for them."

Wow, I hadn't expected the school to be so understanding with Miguel's situation. I guess I just assumed that our small town school wouldn't really care for personal problems that happen at home, but I was wrong. And for them to allow Miguel to continue his classes online is amazing. Especially since the deadline for online classes was back in January. Looks like Miguel had it all figured out.

"And...your parents?" I ask next. Is it possible that over the month they had been getting things ready to leave?

"They already found jobs. They're going to start as soon as we get settled in, better paying too."

I nibble my bottom lip for a second, looking down at the picnic table. "Wow, you guys already have everything figured out?"

Miguel nods and we slip into silence. I suppose both of us are thinking of what to say next since we're stuck in a stand still.

"When do you leave?" I break the silence, pulling the both of us out of our reverie.

"This weekend." Miguel answers softly.

My head snaps over to him, eyes wide in disbelief. He had known for this long and he was leaving so soon. But can I really be mad? I understand not knowing how to tell someone something big, so it's not fair for me to get so upset when I understand.

"I'll miss you, Miguel." I whisper. Maybe we were being really dramatic, but who cares.

"I'll miss you too."

* * *

My fists pound against Sebastian's front door fiercely. There's no more giving him space. It was ridiculous that Sebastian had been avoiding me for so damn long. I also think it's ridiculous that he's somehow not gotten in trouble for missing school so much. A thought had actually recently occured to me. Sebastian's permanent record is now tainted with a referral, so how will that look once he starts applying for college? I mean, if he hasn't started already.

"Open the door, Sebastian!" I yell, my hand slapping harshly against the wood. A hiss leaves me as my palm begins to sting from the contact.

His car is sitting perfectly in the driveway so I know that he's home. Micah had kindly dropped me off so there was no way for me to get home unless I walked or called one of my parents. I didn't want to do that though because my dad has been busier at work since getting that promotion and my mom has been helping Shelly with Jackson. Everyone in the house is tired and busy. My petty teenage problems weren't enough for them to com running to.

"Sebastian!" I know I look like a crazy person right now. I'm just happy that the houses on this side of town are well spread out so I'm not disturbing people too much. "Please open the door."

With a resigned sigh, I turn and drop down on the ground. It's probably better if I sit on the swing chair, but I just want to look sad so the outside can match how I feel on the inside. I pull my phone from my pocket and begin searching for my mom's contact. A click is heard from behind me causing me to turn around.

Sebastian's front door is cracked open with his head peeking out. He has a frown on his face, his eyebrows furrowed. He looks a bit angry, I'll admit. Hurriedly, before he can close the door, I stand to my feet and take the few steps closer to him.

"You've been avoiding me," I state, crossing my arms over my chest. I won't let him off easy like the other times.

Sebastian sighs, closing his eyes for a moment. "Now isn't a good time, Emie." He mumbles, his voice small and vulnerable.

And just like that, I've let him off easy.

"What's going on, Ten?" I question, dropping my arms to my side to appear more open. "Did something happen with your dad again?"

With my words, Sebastian's expression changes. His tough facade immediately falls as his bottom lip trembles. He looks like he's barely holding on my a thin thread. Without any doubts or hesitations, I step forward, pushing my way in. My arms wrap around his midsection and I immediately rest my head on his chest. Sebastian's arms come up to wrap his arms around me and his chin lays on my head.

"Don't be afraid to tell me, Sebastian," I say, hoping that he understands I'm here.

"God, Emie," he shakes his head, groaning loudly. His chin digs into my head as he speaks, making me wince. "Everything seems like it's falling apart."

I pull away from the hug quickly. "Did Damien hit you again? I swear to God, Sebastian, I will slay him if he put his hands on you again."

Sebastian steps back, rubbing his hands down his face. He shakes his head and turns away. I stand there for a moment waiting, but Sebastian ends up walking away. I follow after him, jogging lightly to catch up to his long strides. My hand reaches out for his arm, just barely catching his sleeve.

"Sebastian, what?" I ask incredulously. I see that he's lead the way to the living room. Sebastian plops down onto the couch, slouching over and resting his elbows on his knees. "What's going on, Sebastian? Talk to me."

Sebastian looks up at me, his eyes and cheeks now red. "Emie," he breathes deeply and I can tell he's struggling to keep the tears at bay. "My dad had a heart attack."

And I sit, speechless.

*Hello, hello. Did you guys expect that bomb to drop? How does Damien, Sebastian's dad, having a heart attack make you feel? I wouldn't wish that on anybody, but maybe, just a little, he deserved it? Anyways, share your thoughts and how you felt about this chapter. Please don't forget to vote. About three chapters left. Thanks for reading.*

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

2.4M 81.8K 53
(Complete) After a terrible encounter at a party, one year later, Hailey Fonte is ready to return to her hometown. With everyone against her because...
5.2K 834 52
Tiziano sucks at soccer. For the past two years he's had a crush on Simone, the team's star player, who barely knows he exists. And then there's Cla...
3.3K 58 51
"This was just supposed to be summer fun. That was what we agreed on." I tried to talk to him as he was vigorously shaking his head, tearing his gaze...
1.2K 161 22
Harrison a young werewolf who's life in highschool changes completely due to meeting Sebastian a stern yet loving alpha wolf. Harrison has a very ant...