π‚π¨π§π§πžπœπ­π’π¨π§ | The Ma...

By astralfoxes

❝𝑯𝒂𝒗𝒆 π’šπ’π’– 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒉𝒂𝒅 π’…π’“π’†π’‚π’Žπ’” 𝒐𝒇 𝒖𝒔? 𝒃𝒆𝒄𝒂𝒖𝒔𝒆 𝑰 π’‚π’π’˜π’‚π’šπ’” 𝒉𝒂𝒅.❞ F... More

β˜‰Cast [+ Playlist]
β˜‰00: The Girl
β˜‰01: Greenie Day
β˜‰02: The Boy Named Thomas
β˜‰03: The Loss of a Friend
β˜‰04: Chasing After You
β˜‰05: A Night in The Maze
β˜‰07: The New Runner
β˜‰08: What's Different
β˜‰09: A Way Out
β˜‰10: Mother of Grievers
β˜‰11: Lost and Found
β˜‰12: Saying Goodbye
β˜‰00.1: Phase Two
β˜‰Act Two

β˜‰06: The Last One Ever

29.3K 963 2K
By astralfoxes

⫸ Connection: The Maze Runner ⫷

「 Chapter 6: The Last One Ever 」

It wasn't common for the Second in Command to keep his hopes up when it came to people surviving a night in the maze or from being stung. He had to show an example that hoping too much would lead to more heartbreak. But that didn't mean he didn't believe in his friends. There was a part of him that told him to have faith in them. In Minho. In Lia. 

They all slept by the doors that night. Waiting to see if their four friends inside the Maze would return. The rumbling of the doors woke them up, lifting themselves off the ground to look inside the Maze.

Chuck kept his hopes up. He always did when it came to Lia. She promised him she'd go back to him. Always. 

"I told you, Chuck." Newt whispered. His eyes looking at the empty space, sadly. "They're not coming back."

"But Lia said she'd always come back." The young boy protested. 

Everyone else wasn't as hopeful as Chuck. All of them beginning to fall back to get started on their jobs, doing their best to forget about the four. Newt sniffled quietly at the loss of his closest friends.

"No way." Zart exclaimed, staring at the far end. He pointed at the figures who made their way towards The Glade, catching everyone's attention.

Lia limped in exhaustion after having to take turns with carrying Alby. Her breathing was heavy as she walked beside Thomas and Minho, who were grunting at the weight of the leader. Lia's smile didn't leave her face once she saw the faces of the boys.

"Yes! Yeah!" Chuck cheered, knowing he was right to believe in them.

The rest of the gladers smiled and ran back towards them, glad to see them all. Reuniting with the boys, Thomas and Minho gently laid Alby down to get checked by the med-jacks. Lia was glad they managed through a night without any injuries although the three did have minor cuts and bruises. Most of them on the girl's legs since she wore shorts. 

The three continued to pant, sighing in relief knowing they would be able to relax now. Lia grunted at the sudden impact of Chuck bumping into her, giving her a warm hug. She only laughed, ruffling his light brown curls.

"I missed you too, Chuckie."

Once he pulled back, Newt walked over to her. His mouth agape, shocked  and happy that they survived.

"You came back." He breathed, his eyes on Lia. The girl grinned as she felt the brit's arms around her in a tight embrace. The boys patted Thomas's back causing a smile to form on the newbie's face. His gaze landed on the two blondes not far from him, feeling the same stir in his stomach.

"You saw a griever?" Chuck asked them from beside him.

"Yeah, we saw one." Thomas answered. 

Minho added in. "He didn't just see one. He killed it."

"And Lia here." The Keeper looked up at the girl, who now stood beside Newt. "Actually got to communicate with it."

Newt stared at her in shock along with everyone else. Their eyes glancing between Thomas and Lia in silence. This made the two shift, uncomfortable at the attention placed on them.

Later on that day, Gally and his ever egotistical self—as Lia would describe—had requested a meeting in the Council Hall.

"Things are changing. There's no denying that." Gally began, the chatter in the room died down. "First, Ben gets stung in broad daylight. And then Alby."

"And now our Greenie here has taken it upon himself to go into the maze." The Builder continued, eyes scanning the boys. A stern look on his face.

Lia, still in her running gear, had one her legs propped up on the make shift divider that separated the Keepers from everyone else, her arm resting on her bent knee. Technically, she was in the in between. Her other leg swung on her side, back resting on a skinny tree trunk as she stayed silent beside Minho. A few feet away from her was Thomas who sat on the chair of shame in the middle of the room, in front of everyone.

Lia would glance at him every once in a while to check if he was alright, the brown eyed boy would either keep his eyes on his hands, the ground or the girl not too far from him. Her other hand was fidgeting with her necklace, something she often did when she was on edge. 

"Which is a clear violation of our rules here."

"Bull shit." Lia cursed out loud. Heads turned towards the blonde, her eyes keeping still in an intimidating manner.

Gally gave her a glare earning a scowl from the female runner. She was furious over the fact that Thomas had to go through this. If it weren't for him, Alby would have been ripped to shreds by the grievers.

"But he saved Alby's life, Gally." Frypan chimed in.

"Did he?" Gally turned to him for a second. "For three years, we have coexisted with these things."

"And now, you've killed one of them." Pointing at Thomas, Gally continued his statement. "Who knows what that could mean for us."

"What do you suggest we do?"

"He has to be punished." A cacophony of protests erupted from the other boys at the Keeper of the Builder's request.

"Come on."

"He killed a Griever!"

"Minho. Lia." Newt called out, making the noise to die down again."You were there with him. What do you think?"

The two runners turned their heads to the British boy before exchanging a glance. Lia gave him a nod, telling him to answer for them. Thomas watched, waiting to see if they would defend him or not.

"I think in all the time we've been here..." Minho started, his eyes roaming the Hall. "No one has ever killed a Griever before."

"When I turned tail and ran, Lia and this dumb shank stayed behind to help Alby." Lia shook her head at the memory. "Look, I don't know if he's brave or stupid. But whatever it is, we need more of it."

Minho went silent for a few seconds. Turning back towards the girl next to him to continue. With the click of her tongue, Lia stood up from her position.

"I say we make him a runner." She announced, confidently. 

Thomas's back straightened at Lia's words. Staring at the girl for a moment in disbelief. His mouth parted, almost tugging into a smile until he heard the chatter from the others again.

"A runner? What?" Various murmurs and an exchange of opinions came out of the boys's mouths.

Chuck on the other hand was not against the idea and started to chant Thomas's name. "Thomas. Thomas. Thomas...." But that soon died down when no one followed him.

"Guys, let's not jump the gun here." Frypan commented, shaking his head towards the two.

"Are we really going to listen to someone who talks to grievers?" Gally announced, his hand pointing accusingly at the blonde girl. "For all we know Lia could've been stung and turned insane. The Changing could be different for girls!"

"Fuck you, Gally!" Lia spat, fuming at the assumption. Her body flung towards him, only to be held back by Minho. Thomas was angered at the statement against Lia, his whiskey eyes sending death glares at the builder. 

"Easy..." Minho whispered to her despite also not enjoying what Gally accused her of. He struggled holding her down, surprised at the amount of strength she actually had.

"If you want to throw the newbie a parade, that's fine. Go ahead." Gally told them. "But if there is one thing I know about the maze, It is that you do not—"

The sound of a familiar siren cut him off, everybody pausing for a moment to register what was happening. Lia stopped thrashing in Minho's arms and moved away from him. She glanced towards Newt in confusion before they all began shuffling towards the exit of the Council Hall.

Subconsciously, the girl's hand went for Thomas's as they piled out of the hut. It didn't bother either of them, almost like they were accustomed to the action.

"Okay, wait. I know that sound." Thomas said, looking at the Box in the distance. 

"The Box. It's coming back up." Lia added in confusion, eyes furrowed at the brunette. 

"It shouldn't be." Minho exclaimed and ran past them, the couple behind him following after him towards the others. 

The boys surrounded the box in wonder, all their heads looking inside just as the doors were opened by Gally and Newt. Lia and Thomas slide their way through to get to the front. No one seemed to mind this. 

"Newt, what do you see?" Frypan asked him. 

"Lia, get down here." Newt ordered from inside the box. Lia pursed her lips in hesitation before accepting her friend's wishes. She felt Thomas give her hand a squeeze before letting her jump in the box. A place she hadn't stepped foot in since the day she arrived. 

Her eyes were wide at the figure that laid on the metal ground. 

"It's a girl." 

Somehow, Lia felt that strange feeling in her chest again. Strange. It was like she had seen the girl before. Whoever this was, she didn't seem to be in the best condition. Her jet black hair was sprawled out under her head and her eyes screwed shut. 

"I think she's dead." Newt told everyone.

"What's in her hand?" Gally asked, pointing towards the girl's closed fist. Lia only watched as Newt bent down to retrieve a folded up note in her hand.

"She's the last one...ever." He read aloud, looking up in questioningly. "What the hell does that mean?"

Ignoring the gasps and sounds of confusion from above, Lia knelt down to check if the dark haired girl was still alive. Her soft hand came in contact with the girl's pale cheek and it felt like she had done this before. 

The girl jolted awake, panting for air causing Lia to pull her hand away and everyone to jump back. 

"Lia!" The girl gasped, her darker blue eyes staring into the blonde's. Lia's lips parting at the distinct features that she always saw in her dreams. This girl knew her name. How?

"Thomas!" She gasped again, looking at the brunette above them. Passing out once more, the girl's eyes were now screwed shut again. Lia only stared in confusion and was questioning how she knew her name. How she knew Thomas's name. 

It was silent. All eyes looking between Thomas and Lia who were feeling tense at the sharp gazes sent their way. Did they have something to do with this? 

"You still think I'm overreacting." Gally quipped, crossing his arms. 

✜✜✜

The med-jacks had been in charge of taking care of the new girl that was still unconscious. Lia went to check on Alby, not liking the state he was in. It was obvious he was in pain. Gally had also forced her to get checked by the med-jacks if she was stung but Newt refused to let anyone go through the girl's body when it was obvious that she was fine. Lia was thankful for him. 

Deciding to check on the girl too, Lia went over to where she was laid out one of the main beds. Jeff, one of the Med-jacks, was watching over her. Lia sat down on the chair beside the bed, placing a cold towel on the other girl's forehead. "You'll be okay." The blonde whispered to her, despite knowing she wouldn't hear what she was saying. 

"Lia..." The girl whispered.. 

How do you know me? She thought. 

"Do you know her?" Jeff asked, looking between the two females. 

Lia only shook her head. "I don't." 

"Jeff, what's going on?" The British accent that was heard by the entrance of the med-jack hut caught their attention. Thomas and Minho following after him, Newt approached the two, eyes on the dark skinned boy and bombarded him with questions. "What's the matter with her? Why won't she wake up?"

"Hey man, I got my job the same way you did." Jeff told him.

"Do you recognize her?" Newt asked, turning towards Lia then Thomas. 

"No." They both denied. Of course, Lia didn't want to tell the whole truth. She's seen her before but not exactly knew who she was. 

"Really? Because she seemed to recognize you both." Newt wasn't the type to assume things but with everything that was going on, he began to worry more. 

"What about the note?" Thomas said, changing the subject.

"We'll worry about the note later." 

"I think you should worry about it now." Lia agreed also getting nervous about what it meant. 

"We've got enough to deal with at the moment." Newt told him. 

"He's right, Newt." Jeff spoke up, his eyes trained on the British boy. "If the Box isn't coming back up, how long do you think we can last?"

Lia frowned, moving the girl's hair out of her face while she slept. 

"No one said that." Stated the second in command. "Let's not jump to any conclusions. We'll just wait until she wakes up and see what she knows. Somebody has gotta have some answers around here." 

"Okay." Thomas uttered, turning around to leave the room.

Newt called after him. "And where are you going?"

"Back into the maze." The dark-haired boy simply stated.

With a sigh, Lia sat up from her chair turning to Newt. 

"I'll talk to him." She wrapped her arms around him, rubbing his back to get him to relax. The girl could see it in his eyes that having to replace Alby taking care of everything took a toll on him.  

Exiting the hut, Lia spotted Thomas who was walking away in a fast pace. She jogged over to him, taking a grip on his shoulder to stop him. "What do you think you're doing?" Before Thomas got to answer, Minho appeared from behind them in a huff. 

"What is this with you, huh? A death wish?" Minho questioned, squinting his eyes. "You just got out and now you want back in?"

"Newt said that no one has ever seen and killed a Griever and lived to tell about it, right?" Thomas inquired, looking between the two runners. "Guys, now we have one. You're telling me you're not even a little bit curious?" 

Minho shook his head. "Not really, no."

"I am." Lia exclaimed, giving the brunette a persistent nod. Thomas smiled at her. Happy that she would be joining him. 

"Lia, it's not safe for you." Minho protested, crossing his arms at the girl. This made Lia scoff at the Keeper. Did he forget that she just survived being attacked by a griever?

"Just because I'm the only girl here doesn't mean that's all I am."  The light blonde stated. Brows furrowed in annoyance. Despite most of the things she's done, there were times they treated Lia like she was a piece of glass—fragile. "And besides, I know you saw what happened between me and that griever. I wanna know how I play into this."

"Come on, Minho." Lia urged, her pale blue eyes begging the buff glader. Thomas swore he could almost see the gears in Minho's brain turning. With a deep sigh, the dark-haired asian faltered his intimidating stance. "So, what's the plan?"

A grin broke out on the girl's face before she threw her hands over her friend. "You're the best, Min."

"I know, Li." Minho chuckled once she pulled away before turning to Thomas. "But what're you gonna do? Go out and dissect that thing all by yourselves?"

"We will if we have to." Thomas said, checking Lia if she was actually on board with it. The nod he received indicated she was. 

"Have the other runners left yet?" He asked only for Lia to purse her lips at the question. 

"The other runners quit this morning." She told him and pointed towards the group of former runners talking to Gally. Those shanks. Though Lia wouldn't blame them though. After what occurred the night before, she wouldn't be so enthusiastic about going back inside if she was in their shoes. 

"After Alby got stung, they're not in any hurry to get back out there." Minho explained, keeping his eyes on the boys before looking back at Thomas. "Why are you?"

"I think it's time we find out what we're really up against." 

"All right but you're not going back out there alone. Meet me in the woods in half-an-hour." and with that, Minho ran off. Leaving Thomas and Lia by themselves again. The blonde girl cleared her throat before looking up at the taller boy. 

"I never got to thank you for helping save Alby. I know he's not in the best condition right now but still at least he's alive." She admitted. "And...I'm sorry for snapping at you last night. I just...didn't want you getting hurt."

"I get it." Thomas nodded, reaching for her hands. "I'd yell at myself too if I was in your position."

This made the girl laugh, smiling up at the whiskey eyed glader. Despite not being able to trust people easily, Thomas had managed to get Lia to warm up to him. Her blue irises trailing over his face moles and onto his pinkish lips. Thomas did the same, running his thumb over her cheek as he began to lean down. There it was again. That feeling in their stomachs. Lia saw a flash in her vision. A scenario quite like the one she was in. 

"LIA!" The two snap their heads at the sound, finding Chuck waving at her to come over. With a heavy sigh, she turned back towards Thomas with a forced smile. 

"It's a good thing." She told him after a while. 

His face contorted into confusion. "What is?" 

"You're a good kind of different." 

The blonde's cheeks were a light shade of pink, biting her lip at their close proximity. Tilting her head up, her lips connected with his right cheek. A soft smacking sound filling his ears. Thomas's heart was beating faster as he watched Lia give him one last smile before walking off towards Chuck. 

⫸ Connection: The Maze Runner ⫷

Please vote / comment / share if you enjoyed it.

Please don't be a ghost reader

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

40.8K 1K 37
(Newt x Reader) (TMR) Y/n is WICKED's first mistake. She tries her best to fit in, but being the only girl in an experiment full of boys is the best...
15K 295 38
When the Greenie came up into the Box, none of the Gladers expected them to be a girl. But when unusual things started to happen, some of the boys s...
3.3K 83 22
"𝕐𝕠𝕦'𝕣𝕖 π•Ÿπ• π•₯ 𝕛𝕦𝕀π•₯ π•’π•Ÿπ•ͺ 𝕀π•₯𝕒𝕣, β„‚π•π•–π•ž. 𝕐𝕠𝕦'𝕣𝕖 π•žπ•ͺ ℕ𝕠𝕣π•₯𝕙 π•Šπ•₯𝕒𝕣." After escaping the terrors of the Maze, Clementine and h...
120K 5K 25
β € π’‚π’“π’•π’†π’Žπ’Šπ’”ΒΉ β•± θΏ·θ·―. she was fragile like a π’ƒπ’π’Žπ’ƒ. ━...