Four Walls (Book One) ✔️

By neurotick

"You ungrateful bitch. I keep a roof over your head, and this is the thanks I get?" "You could have killed he... More

Before you begin....
Awards
Prologue
Freshman Year Cast
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Sophomore Year Cast
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Junior Year Cast
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Senior Year Cast
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
WARNING
Chapter Sixty-One
Chapter Sixty-Two
Chapter Sixty-Three
Chapter Sixty-Four
TRAILER
Chapter Sixty-Five
Chapter Sixty-Six
Chapter Sixty-Seven
Chapter Sixty-Eight
Chapter Sixty-Nine
Chapter Seventy
Chapter Seventy-One
Chapter Seventy-Two
Chapter Seventy-Three
Chapter Seventy-Four
Chapter Seventy-Five
Before you leave....

Chapter Seventeen

262 24 45
By neurotick

Thanksgiving is in a few days, and I can't stop thinking about Ada.

Last year, she joined us at Damian's. That was the day she met Keaton, the day she fell for the emancipated minor's aquamarine eyes and quiet energy.

"Just shut up and let me be in love," she told me when I questioned her infatuation for the boy. I couldn't comprehend why she liked him so much.

Thanks to Jose, I finally do.

He didn't breakup with me after my hasty exit from his bedroom. However, things between us have strained. Tense. Awkward. We went from tearing off each other's clothes to tame pecks on the cheek. He's afraid to touch me. I can feel his resistance every time we're close.

I wish I had a girlfriend to talk to about it. I could confide in Damian, but it's not the same. I need a woman's perspective.

I need Ada. Too bad her parents sent her away.

As I sit in the cafeteria, stirring my chicken noodle soup with a spoon, I feel eyes on the back of my neck, like someone's watching me from afar. I spin around and catch Jessica Jermain staring at me. Ever since she told her muscle-head boyfriend to leave me alone, she's been oddly fascinated with me. I've caught her gawking at me several times over the past few weeks, and I don't know why. Perhaps she's waiting for me to thank her.

If that's the case, she'll be waiting a long time.

"Where's Jose?" Damian plops his tray down and claims the seat beside me. "Don't you guys usually eat lunch together?"

"We do." I ignore the contempt in my best friend's voice. "He and Mariana are visiting family in Los Angeles. They'll be back after the holiday."

"Oh?" He smiles. "That might be nice. I feel like I haven't seen you in months."

"Well, I'm all yours on Thanksgiving," I reply. I'm sad that Jose is two-thousand miles away, but it will be nice to have some quality time with Damian.

He places his hand over mine, sending a chill up my arm. "I'm looking forward to it. I miss you."

I've missed him, too. He was with Haven all summer, and I began dating Jose as soon as school started. It's been a while since the two of us hung out.

Mostly, I'm excited to have a break from Starkton High. Between Jessica's lingering eyes, Evan's relentless teasing, and the awkwardness that is now my relationship with Jose, some time away is overdue.

<><><><><><>

"Happy Thanksgiving, sweetie!" Moira pulls me into a bear hug. I rest my head on her shoulder. Her arms feel like coming home.

"Careful, Mom," Damian says with a chuckle. "You're gonna break the poor girl."

"I can't help it. I've missed her," she replies, loosening her anaconda grip ever so slightly. "How have you been, honey? Damian informs me that you have a boyfriend?!"

"I do." I can feel myself blushing.

"I'm eager to hear all about him." She hands me a glass of fruit punch and gestures for me to sit. "What's his name?"

"Jose."

"Is he from around here?"

"California, actually. He moved here over the summer."

"Is he nice to you?"

I laugh. "Yes, he's very nice."

Moira's lips part into a warm smile. "You're falling in love with him. It's all over your face."

"I... I don't know. I mean, we've only been together a few months," I stutter. Love is not something I'm ready for.

But it is nice to talk to Moira about my boyfriend. I feel like a normal adolescent girl with a normal family. When I was a kid, I used to pretend that she was my mom. I buried that delusion a long time ago, but that doesn't change the fact that she's the closest thing I've ever had to a mother.

Or a parent, for that matter.

Hank has no idea that Jose exists. We haven't said more than five words to each other since school started. He's only hit me once; he had to pee, and I was "blocking his way to the can." It's been quiet in our rundown trailer. Compared to recent years, this one hasn't been so bad.

I help Moira and Damian prepare dinner. By the time we finish, my stomach is growling. I'm practically salivating as I lay out the forks. I almost forgot how incredible of a chef Moira is.

The three of us gather around the table. Before we stuff our faces, we do our usual ritual of naming something we're grateful for. As usual, Moira is thankful for her family. Damian is thankful for the roof over his head and the food on his plate.

I think about my response carefully. What am I grateful for? I have so much good in my life, so much to be appreciative of. The two faces in front of me are proof of that.

Suddenly, the answer becomes obvious.

"I'm thankful for both of you," I declare. "You guys welcomed me into your home when I was five years old. You're my family."

"We love you so much, sweetie." Moira gives my hand a squeeze. "Alright, let's eat!"

<><><><><><>

I glance at the clock on Damian's nightstand. To my surprise, it's almost midnight. My heavy eyelids tell me it's time to go to bed.

I turn to Damian, who looks like he's in need of some shuteye himself.

"What's up?" he asks, yawning.

"You should probably poof me home now," I say. "I think it's bedtime."

"Already?"

"Dude, it's eleven-thirty."

"Oh, wow."

"'Wow' is right."

"You don't have to go," he says with a shrug. "You could just stay."

"As in... sleep over?" My eyes widen. "Wouldn't that be weird?"

"Like you said earlier, you're family," he assures me. "I'll take the floor."

"It's your room, Damian."

"I don't mind, I promise."

I nod my head. "Okay, I'll stay over."

He finds me a baggy t-shirt and a pair of his mom's sweatpants to sleep in. I go to the bathroom to change, still uncertain if this is a good idea. I know nothing will happen between us. We're best friends. He's like a brother to me.

I just keep thinking about Jose and how this would make him feel. Would he be upset? Would he be jealous? If I found out he slept in another girl's bed, even if that girl wasn't in the bed with him, I'd be green with envy.

I decide to call Jose. I won't know his reaction until I ask him.

I creep downstairs and locate the Forbes' phone. I dial Jose's cell phone number and wait for him to pick up.

On the fifth and final ring, my boyfriend answers with a groggy, "Hello?"

"Hey," I say. "It's Layla. I didn't wake you, did I?"

"No, no, you're fine, mi amor," he replies. He sounds happy to hear from me. "I miss you, Fifty-One. How are you?"

"I'm good. Great, actually. How's LA?"

"Awesome. It's nice to be back in the city. Ma says happy Thanksgiving, by the way."

"Likewise," I reply. "So, um, there's something I have to ask you. I was wondering if—"

"Oh, hold on." I hear muffled voices on the other end, followed by the familiar sound of Jose's laughter.

"Um, if you're busy, we can talk later."

"Oh, no, I'm just chilling with Ramira."

I freeze. "Who's Ramira?"

"Family friend. She's like a sister to me and Mariana," he explains. "We actually had Thanksgiving dinner with her family."

"Oh." My chest tightens. I take a deep breath to loosen the knot. "Well, um, I'll let you get back to her."

"Everything okay?"

"Everything's perfect." 

"Well, what did you want to ask me?"

"Nothing that can't wait," I say. "I'll see you when you get home, alright?"

"Alrighty, then. Have a good night, pretty girl."

I hang up the phone and race back to Damian's room. He's already passed out on the floor, snoring loudly.

I get into his bed and pull the covers up to my chin.

<><><><><><>

When Thanksgiving break is over, I return to my hell on earth that is Skarkton High. I watch as my classmates meander through the halls, their eyes glazed over with exhaustion. It's like the world is in slo-mo. Physically, we're here, but not mentally. Our brains are still on holiday.

I'm standing at my locker when I hear someone shout my name. I rotate my head, hoping to see Jose—his flight landed last night—but I'm disappointed when I see Ken Fitzpatrick, Ada's father.

"Um, hello," I greet him. I try to hide my confusion, but I do a poor job.

"Hi, Layla." He forces a smile, but it looks like he's in pain. His brown eyes are red-rimmed, as if he's been crying.

"What are you doing here?" I get right to the point.

"Can we go somewhere and talk?" he asks.

I nod my head and allow him to lead me into an empty classroom.

"God, this is so hard," he says, taking a seat. "I... I have to tell you something."

"Okay." The solemn expression on his face makes me uneasy. "Wh-what is it?"

He opens his mouth to speak, but the only sound that comes out is a broken sob. He hides his face in his hands and cries quietly.

"Mr. Fitzpatrick, what's the matter?"

"It's... it's about Ada."

"What about Ada? Is she okay?" Just the mention of her name leaves me feeling dizzy. "She's okay, right?"

He shakes his head. "No, I'm... I'm afraid she isn't."

"What happened to Ada?" I realize I'm crying, too. "Mr. Fitzpatrick, you have to tell me!"

"The facility called us over the weekend," he finally says. "I'm so sorry, but she's dead. She... she hanged herself."

Around me, the room spins. I will myself to stand, but my legs are wobbly. I somehow make it to the hallway, which is a hazy blur of color and light. I'm greeted by a pair of strong arms and a kiss on the forehead. Words are spoken, but I can't discern what they are.

"Layla! Earth to Layla!" I make out the familiar voice of my boyfriend. "Hey, are you alright?"

I bury my face in his chest and begin to bawl.

A/N:
I cried while writing this. Losing a friend is arguably the most painful thing ever. 😭😭😭
But... do you think our little ghost whisperer is really dead? 👻🤔 Let me know in the comments❣️

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

644 40 14
𝐏𝐇𝐘𝐒𝐂𝐄 𝐌𝐄𝐀𝐃𝐎𝐖𝐒 a name unheard of. Except by one, of course. The one who simply got away. Five years ago her best friend moved to a diffe...
210K 5.8K 61
"I need you to be the put together one because I'm so fucked up. You've saved me." He whispers. "Carter, we saved each other." I mutter looking at hi...
130K 8.6K 55
Five Star Reviews for Atlantis Academy: "Omg this book was amazing I couldn't put it down or stop reading. I carried it with me open on my phone whil...
2.7K 105 36
18+ Trigger warning for talk of suicide/drugs.* A story about a young human girl who tries to steal from a fae man. She gets put in a cell under the...