Taken From My Own World- A Bl...

By WyvernHuntress

Katidara Finch has never been a normal girl. She has worked, since her parents, as she puts it "idiotic", dea... More

Introduction
Chapter One- The End
Chapter Two- The Attack
Chapter Three- The Interrogation
Chapter Four- The Test(s)
Chapter Five- The Kitsune
Chapter Seven- The Shinigamis' Attack, Take 2
Chapter Eight- Lost and Found, Strangeness all around
Chapter Nine- More Memories of Sadness
Chapter Ten- A "Vacation" Pt 1
Chapter 11- A "Vacation" Pt Two
Discontinued

Chapter Six- The Undertaker

876 30 7
By WyvernHuntress

(Yes, yes, I know how annoying it is to read song lyrics in a story (believe me) but I changed the wording up a bit, so just skim it please?)

It was very early in the morning, the sky was as gray as tombstones, interlaced with night black and skull white. I was collecting dew drops off the plants, which were, in my opinion, the best kind of water for plants, when I saw two silhoettes attempting to sneak off. Tiptoeing over, I snuck up behind them. 

          "Where are you going?" I whispered in Ciel's ear, who jumped nearly two feet in the air. Yuki made a soft noise that I'd began to learn was her laughter.

        "A-Archer!" Ciel stuttered, and I could tell he was startled by my being awake. "Sebastian you said she wouldn't be awake." He muttered, glaring at Sebastian.

        "Ah, forgive me my lord, but-"

        "I don't have a constant sleeping pattern, at least, not anymore." I stated coolly, folding my arms to their surprised looks. "Its hard to kill someone in their sleep if they're awake," I shrugged. "Well?" Ciel hesitated a moment before answering.

        "We're going to London," Ciel said simply, attempting to walk around me, but I stepped in front of him again.

        "Why?" I persisted, stroking Yuki.

        "We're getting information from someone, now please move, Archer," Ciel said impatiently.

        "Alright, but only if you let me come," I said coolly. "I want to ask the Undertaker some questions too." Ciel and Sebastian stared at me, and I realized what I said. But, not wanting to appear flustered, I continued smoothly. "I've heard he's the best source for information in the underworld, and I want to know who hurt Yuki before I found her." It wasn't a complete lie, just two truths combined.

        "Shadow Men," Yuki growled as I said it, her fur bristling, eyes tinting red from anger. 

        "Sh, Yuki, its alright, they can't hurt you now." I stroked her until she calmed down, and then turned back to a missing Ciel. "Oh, no you did not!" I said, taking off after the cloud of dust the carriage left behind.

        Cutting through the forest, I waited up in a tree until the carriage came past, and jumped on its roof as it passed under my branch, swinging myself through the open window before either Ciel and Sebastian had time to react.

        "Nice try," I huffed, "But I'm a lot harder to get rid of than that." Ciel stared at me for a moment before sighing in defeat.

        "Fine," He grumbled, and I did a little happy dance in my head. Finally, I'd get some answers.

         As we drove to London, I brushed Yuki's tails until their fur entwined, and tied them up with the bows from my hair, so she'd look like she just had one, big tail. 

        "There," I said with satisfaction, shaking my own hair out. 

        "Why do you want to see the Undertaker, Archer?" I could feel Ciel's eyes boring into me.

        "I already-"

        "The real reason, Archer," Ciel stated coolly. Folding my hands, I looked into his eyes. 

        "I don't know-"

        "While I do admit you are an excellent liar, Archer, you seem to have had these questions for a long while now. Talk." Running a hand through my hair, I sighed.

        "I want to know how I got... here," I gestured around. "England," I clarified upon seeing Ciel's confused look. "I've no idea how I'm here, or why, or what's happened to my family back where I'm from. I want to see if the Undertaker knows anything." 

        "... I see," Ciel said after a long while, and the carriage ride was completely and deathly silent the rest of the way.

        Eventually, the carriage stopped outside of a funeral parlor, a big sign reading "Undertaker" in spidery lettering.

        "We're-" Ciel began, but I interrupted, hopping out of the carriage.

        "I figured," I said, gesturing at the sign. Boldly, and before anyone could say anything, I walked into the shop, pushing open the old door with an audible "Creeeaaak!"

        "Hello?" I called, sneezing into my sleeve from all the dust in the air. 

        "Such an adorable sneeze! Like a little kitten~" A strange voice, rather like the creaky door, whispered into my ear. Turning, I pulled one of my roses out of my hat and pointed it at the throat of the person. "So aggressive!" A man with long white hair covering his eyes said, stepping back a bit. He wore a long sleeved black outfit with a funny tophat.

        "You must be the Undertaker. Tis a pleasure," I held out my hand to shake his, but Yuki hissed at him. "Alright, sh, its okay," I stroked her, stepping out of the doorway so Ciel and Sebastian could walk in.

        "Its a pleasure to meet you as well. You are being thoroughly searched for in the world of Shinigamis, oh wandering, trustless Archer." My eyes hardened and my face turned cold, Yuki whimpered and even Sebastian and Ciel looked a bit startled. Smiling a frigid smile, I studied Undertaker.

        "Well, well," Folding my arms, I removed the rose, looking boldly at his unseen eyes. "Even if I am wandering and trustless, 'You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else,' no? (Albert Einstein)." I said calmly, coolly. "I wander to survive; if one stays in one place, it makes one a target. I am trustless for the same reason. Trust simply is useless; one expects someone to do something and if they don't it makes one sad, no?" 

        "You've been doing this for a long time, haven't you, my dear?" Undertaker said sadly, trying to grab my chin, but I stopped him.

        "Indeed," Turning back to Ciel and Sebastian, I waved my hand flippantly. "Go ahead and ask him your question. I'll wait outside." Walking out the door, I stopped a moment. "Oh, and if he can't answer, don't blame him." Everyone looked at me surprised. "I don't cover my tracks; I erase them." With that, I closed the door, sitting on the steps of the shop, eyes scanning the streets in boredom.

        *Narrator*

        "How does she always know?" Ciel asked, a bit too loudly. 

        "Probability and statistics," Archer sang from outside the door, "Percentages, arithmatics, and guess and check. If you all hadn't reacted, I would've never known. You may want to talk quietly, I have good hearing." The Undertaker and Sebastian shared a chuckle as Ciel sweat dropped.

        "Clever girl," The Undertaker laughed his strange laugh.

        "Too clever," Sebastian said thoughtfully under his breath.

        "I heard that!" Archer said outside the door.

        "You forgot the word: Nuisance. Undertaker, is there anywhere we can talk that she won't hear us?" Ciel pinched the bridge of his nose irritatedly, gazing at Undertaker.

        "I can't answer any questions before you pay the price!" Undertaker said in a creepy voice.

        "Fine, Sebastian-"

        "What do you call a serious rock?" Archer said from outside the door. "A grave stone." Though her voice was grim and humorless, it made the Undertaker laugh. "If I couldn't do this for my master, what kind of an Archer would I be?" 

        "Follow me~" Undertaker sang as he opened the coffin he always popped out of. He pushed the cushions and such away, revealing a trap door.

        "I always wondered..." Sebastian mumbled.

        "Does he sleep in there?" Ciel wondered aloud. Undertaker whipped out a key that looked very much like it was carved out a bone- maybe it was o-O - and unlocked the trap door. It creaked slightly as he opened it, spiderwebs dangling off of it. 

        "Welcome to me basement! Ehehehehe!" The Undertaker dove down the trapdoor, with Ciel and Sebastian in hot pursuit. 

        The basement was dank and dark and dreary, spider webs hanging from the ceiling like odd curtains and water forming a liquid carpet on the floor. The smell of death perfumed the dark, dank room. Ciel scrunched his nose as the Undertaker lit some candles, lining up some barrels and handing them some tea.

        "Sorry 'bout the condition, I hardly get any guests down here. Live ones, anyhow! EHEEHeeeHEE!" 

        "So this is where he does his 'work,'" Ciel mumbled, sitting on a barrel. 

        "Indeed," Sebastian replied.

        "Now, what can you tell us about Archer? Birthdate, name, that kind of thing." Taking a sip of his tea, Ciel glanced at the Undertaker, who was sitting on a coffin, as usual. The Undertaker folded his hands, frowning for the first time during their acquaintance.

        "You are not the only one to ask me about Miss. Archer: Shinigamis and a few other beings have asked as well. And I've told them all the same thing: There is nothing I can tell you." Undertaker said sadly, and Ciel blanched.

        "Why is that?"

        "Archer is a girl that everyone wants to know about, but her secrets are her own," Undertaker began quietly. "She wears secrets like a shield, and not one person has ever gotten through it. Those who did she had to end up killing or they ended up dead or they betrayed her. I do not plan to be one of those people, after all, I have an interest in living!" Undertaker laughed, but it was not his standard laugh. It was more strained.

        "Laughter has completely left that poor girl's life, and light, even music. She is a being that rarely ever smiles, and only in the company of plants and animals. They were the only things that never  betrayed her."

        "She has told you little bits and pieces of the truth, stitching them all together into an elaborate Frankenstein of a lie. But she won't even tell you her real name. I, myself, do not know it." 

        "Deep down, she's just a girl that-" But then, he was interrupted.

        "Enough already," Archer leaned on the ladder, glaring at them coldly. Yuki hissed at the Undertaker, Sebastian, and Ciel. "I do believe I can answer any questions they have left. Having a stranger tell it is just pitiful," She laughed harshly. "Perhaps I'll ask you my questions another day, Undertaker. But, for now, Ciao." Archer climbed up the ladder, "Oh, and I'll just walk back to the manor, Young Master. I have to let off some steam anyhow." Then, she was gone.

        "Sebastian," Ciel said quietly, "Did you sense Archer's prescense at all?"

        "No, My Lord," Sebastian responded, just as quietly. After a few more attempts at getting the silent Undertaker to speak, they left, the carriage rumbling down the street. A few minutes later, Archer stepped out of an alleyway.

        "For one who has seen so much, you are still naive, Earl Phantomhive," She said, running a hand through her hair before reentering Undertaker's shop.

        *Archer*

        "I had a feeling you'd be back," Undertaker said, but there was no laughter in his voice.

        "I never give up until my questions are answered and I am satisfied with said answer," I replied emotionlessly. Yuki made a sad noise, nudging my cheek until I gave her a faint smile. "I am sorry, Yuki, I just.... sometimes I think that smiling is pointless. Why do it at all when something terrible is 90% likely to happen soon afterward?" I said it so quietly, that I was sure the Undertaker wouldn't hear, but I was wrong. When I looked up, I saw a sad look in his eyes. There they were, bright green-yellow, just like any other shinigami's. Ignoring this, I asked,"So do I have to tell you another joke or does the one I told earlier count?"  

        "Dearie, I don't want to hear a joke from you," Undertaker said sadly, looking at me with his cat-like eyes. "I want you to sing a song from the bottom of your heart."

        "What?" I asked frigidly, glaring at him vehemently.

        "You can glare all you want but that's the price and I'm not changing it," Undertaker replied firmly. Sighing, I weighed my options, running a hand through my hair. If I left now, odds were that Undertaker wouldn't tell me. Plus, he was an ultimate reaper, so he had the highest percentage chance of knowing. But, if I did sing, unpleasant memories... 

        'Stop it,' I told myself, 'Unpleasant memories are the past. The past is the past and you cannot change it.' With that I looked back to the Undertaker, who was staring at me.

        "What?" 

        "I just find your eyes fascinating when you think," He chuckled lightly, "Well?"

        "I'll do it," I said curtly, thinking of a song to sing. Then I thought of an ironic one, seeing as we were in a funeral parlor and.... even more reasons.

"When I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in a river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song

Uh oh, uh oh

Lord make me a rainbow, I'll shine down on my friend I used to smother,
She'll know I'm safe with you when she stands under my colors, oh,
And life ain't always what you think it ought to be, no
Ain't even grey, but she buries her best friend

The sharp knife of a short life, oh well
I've had just enough time

When I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in the river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song

The sharp knife of a short life, oh well
I've had just enough time

And I'll be wearing white, when I come into your kingdom
I'm as green as the ring on my little cold finger,
I've never known the lovin' of a man
But it sure felt nice when he was holdin' my hand,
There's a boy here in town, says he'll love me forever,
Who would have thought forever could be severed by...

...the sharp knife of a short life, oh well?
I've had just enough time

So put on your best, boys, and I'll wear my pearls
What I never did is done

A penny for my thoughts, oh, no, I'll sell 'em for a dollar
They're worth so much more after I'm a goner
And maybe then you'll hear the words I been singin'
Funny when you're dead how people start listenin'

When I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in the river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song

Uh oh (uh, oh)
The ballad of a dove (uh, oh)
Go with peace and love
Gather up your tears, keep 'em in your pocket
Save 'em for a time when you're really gonna need 'em, oh

The sharp knife of a short life, oh well
I've had just enough time

So put on your best, boys, and I'll wear my pearls." I concluded, staring off into the distance. My voice was a bit hoarse from not practicing, but it still held that element of sadness and light, like the sun shining through water. So many memories, both good and bad, danced before my eyes that I felt them instinctually glaze over with indifference: A veritable shield of indifference.

        "Undertaker, I will be back for that answer, just not today. I've someplace to be and I've wasted enough time already." I began walking out the door when he said something else.

        "Alright, my dear," He said sorrowfully, "If you ever find yourself in need of a place to stay, come to me, alright?"

        "....Sure," I responded, closing the door behind me.

       *Undertaker*

        "Such a sad, sad girl," I sighed, staring after the poor girl. "Perhaps she is not the 'wandering, trustless Archer,' but, rather, the 'lost, heart-broken Archer.'" Sighing, I continued about my work.

        'Someone her age should not think that they are going to die young.'

        "In the end, my dear, you just want to find someone you can actually trust," I concluded decisively, covering the secret entrance to the basement once again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

35.1K 1.2K 43
Adrians first few years as a reaper were getting lonely, but then he saved a girl from falling down in the Grim Reaper library, and just looking at h...
989 90 40
*Rewrite* A Retelling of Black Butler. A serial killer slaughtering prostitutes and a case of a missing girl from 10 years ago. These are the mysteri...
22.2K 285 19
Title explains what is going on, one of the colorful characters of this universe will be your parent. I don't own Black Butler/Kuroshitsuji that bel...
1.5K 47 9
"Maybe you don't know what my true intentions are. Maybe they're different for you because you yourself are different." ~ Being the daughter to a dem...