A New Beginning

By CrystalScherer

Sequel to Upon Wings Of Change. The dragonets are flourishing; both those in the park and those helping the K... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 55.5
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 71

12.3K 1.1K 189
By CrystalScherer

Tessa's POV:

I rejoined my family under the heat lamp later in the evening, picking the cooler end this time. The visit seemed to be winding down as the sun approached the horizon.

Maria yawned again, and Adeline kindly told her, "Why don't you go to bed? You stayed up late last night, and it's been a long day filled with a lot of excitement. Your father and Tessa will be here in the morning. They can even take you to school, if you want."

"Yes, please. I would like that," Maria replied, getting to her feet. She gave her mother and father a hug before looking over at me. "Good night, Tessa. I'll see you in the morning."

Like usual, I gave the same soft whistle that I gave everyone who said good morning or good night to me.

Mom lifted her head, watching Maria go into the bathroom.

"Does Maria normally go to her bedroom after this and not come out until morning?" she asked me.

"Yes," I replied, "Sometimes she uses the bathroom in the middle of the night, although Soranto and Adeline have a smaller bathroom attached to their room."

"You realize that this might be the best time to break the news to Adeline, right? It isn't wise to let Soranto try to keep something this important from his wife, even for a short time. He loves her very dearly, and it will tear him up inside."

"Oh. I was going to ask him tomorrow when and how he wanted to tell her."

"Since you plan to include her, do it tonight. Preferably while Taureen and Aeria are here. Being able to talk with other handlers helps them cope with the surprise."

My head turned towards Soranto, and I waited until he finished speaking with Taureen. "Are you alright with telling Adeline about me once Maria goes to sleep? Mom kind of wants Taureen and Aeria here in case she has questions."

Soranto glanced at me and subtly nodded his head. His silent reply both made my muscles relax in relief, but also tense up slightly.

Mom nudged me with her nose. "Don't worry. She cares about you. I barely knew Aeria when I had to speak with her the first time. This will just give her a bigger support group."

The bathroom door opened and Maria went into her room, closing the door behind her. Time seemed to pass far too slowly as the Kymari kept visiting as I waited for Soranto, Taureen, or Aeria to bring the conversation back to the topic of the dragonets.

"I did discover one other thing while in that hidden base," Soranto said, becoming more serious. Recognizing my cue, I glided down to land on his shoulder pad.

"What did you discover?" Adeline asked, noticing her husband's unusual solemnity.

"That Tessa is much, much smarter than I had realized."

"I'm not sure I understand. We both know that she is very smart."

I jumped down to Soranto's knee and lifted my head to look right at her, tilting my head cutely. "But did you know that I can talk?"

She blinked slowly as a stunned expression crossed her face. Her eyes darted over to Taureen and Aeria before moving swiftly back to Soranto and me, unsure of how to react with our company

"It's okay," I reassured her. "Taureen and Aeria also know. Mom and Dad have talked to them for years."

Taureen and Aeria both nodded to emphasize my words.

"I wasn't supposed to talk with Soranto for a while yet, but Mom gave me permission when I got kidnapped. Since he knows, I also wanted to include you. It is a secret though. A big one. Only the other dragonet handlers know about it."

Silence reigned for a while before she finally asked, "Dragonets? You mean fire lizards?"

"Yes. We tend to call ourselves dragonets, but fire lizards also works."

"You mean, this entire time, you could understand us perfectly?"

"Some of your discussions were too complicated for me to make sense of, but I can understand many words in your language."

"All of the fire lizards are aware," Taureen said, "but, for the most part, their instincts are quite strong and makes them behave like animals. Not much will change now that you know, other than being able to talk with each other. She will still come looking for pets and treats."

Her eyes drifted back to me.

I perked up my ear tufts. "I like pets and treats."

A smile finally appeared on her face. "I bet you do. You probably had a lot of fun with your small tricks, too."

"Yep! I like it here with Soranto and you. Maria is fun too, but I'm leaving it up to you and Soranto if you want to include her in this secret."

"May I ask why it is such a secret?"

"The wild ones in the park had been trapped in cages when they were young, before the Kymari came," I replied softly, watching anger flash in her eyes at the thought of someone caging us. "Had their captors known they were aware, they would have been killed. The thought of the Kymari finding out terrifies them."

Adeline nodded slowly. "I can understand that, and I will respect that. As for including Maria in this, it is something we'll have to think about. We can save that discussion for another day, though."

Spreading my wings, I flew across the small space to land on her knee. Lifting my head, I trilled at her. Tentatively, she began petting me. I rubbed my head against her hand and thrummed to encourage her.

"Why did Tasha and Keegan push you off the shelf?"

Humor rang through my mindvoice as I replied, "When you were discussing what the dragonets needed in the park, Soranto looked over at me as if asking a question. Then I told him that if he kissed Mom, she might tell him."

Mom snorted loudly from where she sat under the heat lamp, clearly conveying her opinion of my suggestion.

"I think I agree with Tasha," Adeline replied with a chuckle. "If I can ask, what is it in the park that you need? Do you know?"

"As far as I know, nothing. The group that left and returned did that on purpose to trick their watchers. The Morning Song is needed though. We can go about a week without it before we begin to feel... unwell. It happened to Mom when her wing was broken. A few others also had problems if they skipped the Morning Song too often."

"Was your dance on the other planet similar to the one you usually have here?" She was taking the opportunity to ask every question they had just discussed.

"Kind of. But I think it would have been closer if the planet had plants and things. It was really short and fast."

"That was probably due to the size of the planet and how fast it was rotating," Soranto commented. "We probably won't get a chance to leave this planet again, but the report I made did mention that a world more like this one would probably be better. That one just happened to be nearby."

"I have no idea. I just know what I felt, although your reasons make sense to me."

"Is our backyard set up properly for your, er, Morning Song?"

"Yes. It's great! The stump lets me see the sun as it rises. I also really like what you did with your living room. Even Mom was jealous."

That comment had Taureen glancing at Mom, and I suspected that there would be a discussion later on about potential renovations.

Soranto grinned proudly. "I'm glad you liked it. Was there anything we missed or that you might want us to change?"

"I can't think of anything. It's really nice. I'm really happy here."

"And our patrols? I'm pretty sure the main reason some of the fire lizards came out of the park was because they would get to chase down crawlers."

"The patrols can be a bit boring, but it's worth it if it keeps crawlers and sicora off the planet. Especially sicora. I really don't like them."

"If you ever want anything changed or want to do something different for a day, just let me know."

"No worries there. Dirk says I have a big mouth, but considering that he can eat faster than me, I think his must be bigger!"

"Hey!" Dirk exclaimed, only letting our family listen in. "Why did you drag me into this?"

I grinned at him. "Because I could."

Soranto looked between me and the indignant blue dragonet on the shelf before asking Taureen, "I assume hearing only half the conversation is normal?"

"Often enough, you won't even hear part of it if they are talking to each other. They have to intentionally include us. They don't seem to talk to the other handlers unless they consider it important, although it isn't uncommon for them to ask the handler's companion to relay a message."

"It's only proper," I told Soranto and Adeline. "Taureen and Aeria are Mom and Dad's. We will still speak with them because they were like parents to us, but not as much. Within a year or so, Dirk will likely pick a handler. We rarely speak with other handlers. I think I only spoke with Alec once, although I never talked directly with any of the other handlers."

"Unless you have more questions," Taureen said, "I think we shall take our leave and let you three talk." He looked over and asked Mom, "Do you have any concerns or questions before we go?"

"No. I am content now that Adeline knows. That went much better than I expected."

I relayed the first half of Mom's words to Soranto and Adeline.

"Have a good evening," Taureen said as he got to his feet. "I'm certain that you'll manage just fine, but feel free to contact me if you need to."

"Dinner is at our house tomorrow," Aeria reminded them.

Adeline picked me up off her knee and cradled me in her arms as she got to her feet. "I look forward to it."

Soranto also stood up as they walked Taureen and Aeria to the door. Neither of them even batted an eye as my family flew over to land on Taureen and Aeria's shoulder pads without being called.

Snuggling up in Adeline's arms, I watched my family go out the door. I was very happy that Soranto and Adeline both knew. There were bound to be lots of interesting conversations now that I could join in.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.5M 168K 63
No one ever said what would happen when dragons and aliens meet. And no one told me that I would be in the middle of it. Tasha was studying hard to g...
5.1K 171 41
*THIS BOOK MIGHT BE DELETED* When the Dragonets of Destiny, have defeated the war, The next generation will come, Soon to be savors and hero's, the n...
303 22 25
A Wings Of Fire story that takes place in the depths of the Sky'wing Kingdom, following the story of a powerful hybrid dragonet who has to fight in t...
27.3K 630 16
This story takes place only 10 years after the time of peace began. Hybrids are hunted by all but the Rainwings and the Sandwings. Dragons don't trus...