A New Beginning

By CrystalScherer

Sequel to Upon Wings Of Change. The dragonets are flourishing; both those in the park and those helping the K... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 55.5
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 69

11.5K 1K 117
By CrystalScherer

Tessa's POV:

The massive wall glowed with the brilliant oranges and yellows of a sunrise. But it was just a screen on a wall. The Morning Song was not present. I yawned and rustled my wings, trying to look bored. The air was also cool in here, so I snuggled up against Soranto's neck.

"There is nothing. It is pretty, but it does not make me want to fly the Morning Song."

Soranto sighed and told Drae, "Well, I didn't think it would work, but it was worth a shot."

"We should be able to return tomorrow. She seems fine so far."

"The notes said that the fire lizards usually managed about a week without doing that dance before they became lethargic. She won't be allowed back in outer space once we return, so I want to see if something else can trigger it. It isn't as if we have anything else to do today."

"What are you thinking?"

"Let's go visit the fighter pilots and see if any of them are bored. There is a planet about fifteen minutes away that is nearly the same distance from its star as the one back home. I just want the shuttle to land on the side where the sun is rising and see if it has any effect on her behavior."

I listened intently to their conversation. Several dragonets back home were rather keen to find out if the Morning Song could be sung away from Earth. Was it the rising sun on any planet? Or just Earth? The answer to this question would determine if the dragonets could ever leave the planet we called home for more than a few days.

"As long as we have a suitable fighter escort," Drae replied, "I can't see anyone objecting if we stay that close."

"The fighter ships already have the new scanners installed, so it isn't as if any remaining Votaks can sneak up on us."

It didn't take Soranto long to – somehow – talk a dozen fighter pilots into accompanying us on a short flight. The volunteers might have been bored, or, perhaps, they were interested in seeing if they could assist a bond animal. Either way, we soon had permission to go to the nearby planet.

I peered out the window during our flight while wondering if this experiment would turn out any different than the big wall scene. It was hard to look relaxed while my excitement and uncertainty bubbled up inside me. This trip was something no other dragonet had done – I had no idea what the result might be.

The distant stars stood out very brightly, although the light from the star ahead kept growing brighter as we approached the planet we were aiming for. I could see at least one of the accompanying fighter spaceships at any time, although they kept rotating their positions.

"Where do you want to go?" Drae inquired as he piloted the shuttle.

"Land on the surface, if possible. Pick a place where the star is just about to rise. This planet is smaller and has a faster rotation rate than what Tessa is accustomed to, so the sunrise might happen too quickly for this to work. We can always hover at a higher altitude and try again, if need be."

The shuttle slowed as it neared the grey ground and touched down without stirring up too much dust. The window showed a dull view of rocks, craters, and dust. It was not a place I would want to live, even if this planet had a proper atmosphere.

Suddenly, I tilted my head and stilled as I listened to something not audible to Kymari ears. It was there. The faintest hints of the Morning Song were building. Was a song of hope even possible on a dead planet like this?

I slowly sat down as my eyes locked onto the rapidly brightening horizon. Soranto and Drae remained sitting in their seats as they watched me. Soranto recognized my pose and pulled out a small video recorder.

The Song's call was building quickly, matching the rate that the star was rising. My wings partially unfolded, preparing for the dance to come. The tempo was a rapid one – it was going to be hard to match such a rhythm in flight.

The cue to fly sent me launching myself into the air. The area inside the shuttle was confining, but no worse than being inside a house. It would have to work.

My wing muscles strained to twirl around the tight corners that the dance called for. Joy shimmered in the back of my mind, but the hope that came flooding in with this song was staggering. The planet was nothing but rock battered by asteroid impacts – it had nothing left to lose. That left it with nothing but hope and the phenomenal potential of what it could become.

My song lacked the piercing notes and focused on warmer tones – expressing the heat that the star provided. It had light and heat. The asteroids themselves had brought water. It was a step away from realizing its potential for life.

The dance whirled around a circular area as hope radiated along every aspect of my voice. Time. Everything took time. The speed I was using during the short sunrise somehow accented that this planet would not see its potential come true tomorrow, nor the day after.

One day, though. It would get there. If a friendly race gave a helping hand and assisted with some terraforming, then it would flourish much faster. Only then, could it give back to those who had helped it. Then, it could give far more than it had received and help many more.

This planet had nothing for the Morning Song to focus on as I sang of the new day – except for hope.

With a final intricate swirl, my wings pulled me into a hover as the Song came to a sudden stop. I was breathing hard, but the very air practically rang with the hope this dusty, remote planet had.

Hovering for a while longer, I watched the slightly orange star rapidly rise above the horizon. I turned my hover into a glide as I flew over to land on Soranto's shoulder.

"That was interesting," Drae remarked. "Shall I start heading back?"

"Yes, please. I'm pretty sure it was a success, but I'll have to send the video to Taureen. Perhaps Alec as well – he studies their dances a lot. It will be hard to compare this to her previous dances since they always vary so much, even from day to day."

"It was a bit fast, but it seemed similar enough. A planet with more life would probably be better. It's hard to sing about the joy of a new day when there are only rocks." The lingering aftereffects of the Morning Song echoed behind my words.

The ground outside the shuttle was already growing distant as Drae took us back to the ship. Gazing out the window, I organized my thoughts and memories to share with Mom and Dad.

This was going to be a long discussion, but we now had proof that the dragonets could leave Earth as long as we went to a planet with a similar sunrise. It wouldn't change anything right away, but it was something to keep in mind for the future.

       Thankfully, I finished my discussion by the time we reached the warship. After a quick bathroom break, Drae and Soranto went to a large room with comfy-looking chairs and tables. Several other Kymari were scattered across the dozens of tables in the room, most of them reading or using a laptop.

"I have to write up a couple of reports," Soranto said. "There are several people wanting to know what I saw in that hidden base, and I also need to describe what we did when I send the video of Tessa's dance. This room is big enough to let Tessa fly around some while I write these all up."

They headed towards a corner table that had a couple of laptops and sat down. Soranto put a container of fruit and a bowl of water on the table for me. When he lifted his hand to me, I stepped onto it, allowing him to lower me to the table.

"Go on."

I went onto the table and gave the fruit a cursory sniff before looking around, my curiosity claiming my attention more than the snack at hand. The ceiling was quite high with numerous painted murals adorning it. There wasn't anything to perch on along the walls, but there was plenty of open flying room.

There also happened to be several unsuspecting Kymari who had noted our entrance, but likely weren't aware that I had just been given permission to fly around. I spread my wings and took to the air, rapidly gaining height.

Keeping fairly close to the walls, I circled the room a couple of times. My flight also succeeded in distracting most of the Kymari in the room. None of them were afraid. Instead, they were intrigued, as if I had given them a welcome distraction while they were doing something boring.

Diving down, I flared my wings and flew just above the floor as I weaved past table legs, choosing tables that the Kymari weren't sitting at. The sheer number of chairs and tables in the room created a very entertaining obstacle course.

I turned it into a game, seeing if I could use the tables and chairs to prevent those in the room from seeing me as I flew around. It was surprisingly difficult, especially with the amount of space between the tables.

Eventually, I gave up and slipped under Soranto's table. He wasn't wearing most of his armor, although he did have his heavy patrolling boots on. The sturdy footwear was probably supporting his ankle and helping keep the pain in check.

The lack of grass, twigs, and rocks made this room boring. I wandered over to his uninjured leg and jumped onto the end of his boot, balancing on top. Then I bounced a few times.

Soranto leaned over and gazed under the table at me. "And what are you doing down there?"

"Being a pest."

With a chuckle, he reached down and snagged my harness in his fingers. The leather easily supported my weight without digging in as he picked me up and set me down on the table. I simply sat there for a few moments, blinking in shock. No one had ever picked me up by my harness before. That had been a new experience.

I shook myself off hard, letting my scales tinkle as loudly as they could. "That was kind of fun. Like flying without any effort."

The smell of fruit was too good to pass up at this moment, so I went to get a snack.

"She didn't seem particularly impressed with that," Drae observed.

"Well, she didn't squawk, glare, or complain, so it's hard to say. I think I caught her off-guard though. She'll probably make her opinion clearer if I do it in the future."

Drae's wrist comm beeped, and he checked it. "We are scheduled for a shuttle ride back home tomorrow morning, unless something sneaks behind the fighter line."

"Excellent. I'll let the others know."

As I munched on a piece of fruit, I contacted Mom. "Guess what? I'm coming home tomorrow morning!"

"I can't wait to see you again," Mom said, "although Taureen says that you won't be arriving until the late afternoon."

"Why is that?"

"The clocks on the Kymari ships match their homeworld, and their days are longer there. Ask Soranto to let Taureen know which shuttle he's going to be on. That way he can track the arrival time and we can meet you at the port."

"I will. How is Adeline doing? Any juicy tidbits for me to share with Soranto later?"

"She managed to talk Taureen into returning her fusion blaster, although she got home before she realized that he had taken out the power core. It's waiting here for Soranto to pick it up. What else haven't I told you yet..."

I picked out another piece of fruit and listened to her go over any details she could remember.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.4K 635 16
This story takes place only 10 years after the time of peace began. Hybrids are hunted by all but the Rainwings and the Sandwings. Dragons don't trus...
114K 6.8K 25
Missy's life had never been an easy one. Between getting abused at home and being bullied at school, she can never catch a break, and to make matters...
89 7 3
With permission from the RainWing queen, the NightWings have created a sub-kingdom deep in the jungle that now thrives as a successful city. However...
729 33 29
Note: If you find this on any other writing site including Quotev, Neobook or any other site, it has been stolen. This book belongs to me, as do most...