A New Beginning

By CrystalScherer

Sequel to Upon Wings Of Change. The dragonets are flourishing; both those in the park and those helping the K... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 55.5
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter 67

11.6K 1.1K 217
By CrystalScherer

Tessa's POV:

By the time we opened up the door to an empty room, Soranto had his wrist comm on his arm and was punching in some information.

"Hello?" Adeline's voice came through the wrist comm.

"Adeline," Soranto began, "Tessa and I are alri-"

"Soranto! You had me so worried! Next time you plan on infiltrating an enemy base, at least take my fusion blaster!"

"She has a what?" Soranto's father asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

Soranto ignored him and replied to Adeline, "How about I don't infiltrate any more bases, and we get that thing decommissioned?"

"I agree with the first part, but not the second one. Besides, this is the first time it has seen the light of day since we moved here. Are either you or Tessa injured?"

The rapid change of topic made me blink, although Soranto wasn't bothered by it.

He sat down on the bed before replying, "Both of us are fine. I have a cracked rib and a sprained ankle, but that's it."

Tilting my head, I sent him a mental image of his face with the various bruises from when the crate exploded. Perhaps he didn't know what he looked like, or, perhaps, it was a good thing that he had a day or so to heal before Adeline saw him.

Soranto shook his head slightly and started removing pieces of his armor as he continued reassuring Adeline that he wasn't seriously injured. The battle halfway between them wasn't a surprise to her, and she insisted that he remain on the warship.

"You won't get any safer than you are on that ship. Now that I know you aren't badly injured, I can relax and wait patiently instead of terrorizing people. Take care of Tessa. Keeping her out of mischief on a warship could be interesting."

"I know, and I'll stay here until they say it's safe."

"Thank you."

"How is Maria?"

"Worried, but she went to bed a while ago. I'll tell her the good news when she wakes up. I'm also noting your wrist comm code. You'll probably be asleep when she wakes, so call whenever you wake up."

"You get some sleep too, my love. We'll see each other soon."

"Good night, Soranto."

The love in her voice was enough to make Soranto's father examine the far wall, although Drae ignored their conversation as he helped Soranto remove his armor. Soranto reached down and removed his boot with a wince. The ankle was a bit puffy, and I didn't think he would be able to get the boot back on until the swelling went down. He removed his other boot with no such problems.

All that was left was Soranto's chest armor, which wasn't possible to remove with the shoulder pads in place. He reached up, and I hopped onto his wrist. The moment I was off, Drae and Soranto's father immediately unclipped them and continued dismantling his armor.

From this angle, I could see several small dents in the metal. When he lowered his hand to his lap, I jumped down and continued to watch. Soranto pulled off his shirt with another wince and a sharply inhaled breath. His green skin was much darker in several spots, and Soranto examined the areas ruefully.

Drae picked up the jar of salve. "I can tend your back, if you want, but the cracked rib is yours to rub in."

"Thanks."

The two of them began gently rubbing the nearly-odorless salve onto the bruises. The large jar probably only held enough for this time. Soranto's arms and legs were peppered with bruises where his minimal armor didn't protect him. I wasn't sure what his chest armor had stopped, but Soranto clenched his teeth as he liberally applied salve above where the cracked rib must be.

It wasn't right for him to be in pain. Rustling my wings, I chittered my growing agitation. Even though I knew Drae was only trying to help, I felt like nipping his fingers to get him to leave Soranto alone.

Soranto petted me with his other hand. "It's okay."

"No. You're in pain. I can smell it." I shook my head, trying to not focus on his injuries.

He was doing a decent job of hiding the extent of his pain, but the rather sharp smell was beginning to strengthen. The odor made me want to growl at whatever was causing it. If my throat muscles weren't so tense, I probably would have growled by now. The faint musky taste at the back of my mouth was unpleasant. My throat began to feel oddly warm.

My eyes widened slightly as I recognized the taste – it was what Drake had shared with us. It was the same one that heralded a plume of flame. If I exhaled through my mouth, I could probably breathe fire right now. I quickly memorized how my muscles felt so I could try breathing fire in a safer place.

I was suddenly very grateful for the advice my parents had repeated so many times. I swallowed the air in my mouth and throat, sending the potent fire-starting gases to my stomach where it would be rendered harmless. I was going to have to avoid exhaling through my mouth for a while. This wasn't the place to play with fire.

Soranto misinterpreted the action and picked up the container of fruit. He opened it and looked at the fruit before setting it beside me. Curiosity got the best of me and I walked over to investigate. Every piece of fruit was a type I had eaten before, mostly from the fruit trees that had originated on another world and could be found in the main park.

Drae and Soranto kept applying the salve as I sampled more than a few pieces of fruit. It was fresh and juicy – much better than slightly dried-out minnows. My stomach ached by the time the container was nearly empty.

"Adeline has already sent updates to both sides of the family," Soranto's father quietly said, checking his wrist comm. "A few scouts checked out the moon where the hidden base had been located, but that section of it was blown into rubble. The Defense Labs have already created a scanner capable of detecting those new stealth shields and have sent the blueprints and details to all warships."

"Any idea where those Votaks managed to get such a cloaking device?" Soranto asked.

"From what I've heard, no. It's similar to Kergarian technology, but different enough that our scanners didn't work on it. The two we recovered were different models, so that Votak group was almost certainly responsible for making them."

"It was a rogue group?"

"From the rather noticeable lack of Votak spaceships bothering our ships, it would seem so. Which makes sense if they had been holed up in that trading ship for nearly a month."

Soranto winced slightly as he rubbed another rather dark spot on his skin. His father sat in a chair and watched.

Drae cleaned his hands and walked towards the door. "My room is next door to the right. I will keep my wrist comm on."

"Thanks, Drae." Soranto said.

The guard nodded and left the room. Silence fell, and it felt oddly heavy. I grumbled under my breath and curled up on Soranto's lap. The lack of a heat lamp or anything really familiar was keeping my exhaustion at bay for the moment, even with my full stomach.

"A fire lizard?" Soranto's father finally asked.

"They are capable of tracking sicora and crawlers."

"I know. When you first told me about your promotion to a bond animal handler, I hadn't heard of them before and had to go do some research. Not that there is much known about them. Why did you choose to be a bond animal handler instead of remaining one of the top equipment engineers?"

"I can always go back to being an equipment engineer. The opportunity to become a bond animal handler is rare, a chance that few ever have." Soranto said in a slightly clipped voice.

"Soranto," his father said firmly. "Lying won't work with me now anymore than it did when you were a mischievous youth."

Soranto huffed slightly at the rebuke before lifting his head to stare at his father with hard eyes as he stated, "Because she stole my heart, Father. It doesn't matter to me if she tracks sicora or is now too scared to go on another spaceship. She has become a part of my family and nothing is going to change that."

It sounded like a challenge – and Soranto's stance clearly showed he wasn't about to back down.

His father's lips tugged up in a slight smile. "It might have taken nearly two centuries and a small red lizard to make you stand up against me for something you believe in, regardless of the consequences, but you finally did it. I'm proud of you."

Soranto blinked a few times, taken aback by the sudden change. My mind was also trying to catch up. What had looked like a big fight brewing had turned into rather unexpected approval.

"I think you did the right thing," his father continued, "both in accepting her and in going after those who kidnapped her."

Soranto just stared at his father, as if he was too shocked to reply. From the little I recalled overhearing, this might be the first actual piece of praise his father had ever given him.

His father got to his feet and began walking towards the door. "I'll let you and your companion rest. One day soon, I will have to stop by and visit you. Don't bother tidying up or changing anything to meet my supposed expectations – I know you adopted a very different lifestyle when you moved there, and I'm curious to see what kind of life you have made for yourself."

The door quietly slid shut, leaving Soranto and me alone. Looking up, I saw that Soranto was still staring at the door. The blank gaze reminded me somewhat of the daze that the Morning Song sometimes caused.

Leaning over, I gently nipped one of his fingers. He jumped and jerked his hand back as his gaze flew down to me in disbelief.

"Sorry, but you looked like you were going into shock."

He shook his head and replied, "More like I am shocked. That was not how I expected that conversation to go."

"I liked your second reason more than your first one," I replied with a yawn.

He chuckled and petted me. "The second one is also more accurate."

I curled up a bit tighter and rubbed my head against his hand with a hum. He removed my harness for the evening and set it to the side.

"Will you be okay without a heat lamp? Don't feel shy about telling me if you need anything."

"The wild dragonets don't have a heat lamp at night, so I'm sure I'll manage. I wouldn't mind cuddling though. Your skin is nice and warm."

"Sure. Do you want me to clean your scales before we go to sleep?"

My ear tufts perked up. "Please!"

Now that he mentioned getting clean, I realized just how grimy my scales felt. They were still bright red and shiny, but they didn't quite have their normal gleam.

The cleaning kit came out of Soranto's belt pouch, and he began gently scouring my scales. The familiar routine and quietness rapidly lulled me towards the brink of sleep.

I was asleep before he even started with the oil.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6M 168K 63
No one ever said what would happen when dragons and aliens meet. And no one told me that I would be in the middle of it. Tasha was studying hard to g...
5.7K 343 70
[Wings of fire - Evolution AU] What if Darkstalker listened to Fathom? The dragonets of destiny never had a destiny. They were hatched just lik...
109K 1.1K 51
Cover by @TheSilverFlames. Thank you 💖 A book of fandom and non-fandom related one-shots with you interacting with a dragon (or type of dragon). So...
561 19 11
NOTE: The following is a fanfiction inspired by Tui T Sutherland's "Wings of Fire" saga. "Wings of Fire" does not belong to me, and much of the mater...