THE TAINTED TRUST (Volume 2...

By SteveDouglass

No one wept when Jim Servito died. He left an estate amounting to $325,000,000 when his wife, Karen killed hi... More

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
CHAPTER 71
CHAPTER 72
CHAPTER 73
CHAPTER 74
CHAPTER 75
CHAPTER 76
CHAPTER 77
CHAPTER 78
CHAPTER 79
CHAPTER 80
CHAPTER 81
CHAPTER 82
CHAPTER 83
CHAPTER 84
CHAPTER 85
CHAPTER 86
CHAPTER 87
CHAPTER 88
CHAPTER 89
CHAPTER 90
CHAPTER 91
CHAPTER 92
CHAPTER 93
CHAPTER 94
CHAPTER 95
CHAPTER 96
CHAPTER 97
CHAPTER 98
CHAPTER 99
CHAPTER 100
CHAPTER 101
CHAPTER 102

CHAPTER 55

1 0 0
By SteveDouglass

         Beer was Brian's first priority when he entered his apartment thirty minutes later, hoping to find at least one in the refrigerator. "Disaster!" he groaned, finding nothing but a half-emptied bottle of white wine. He extracted it, pulled the cork and took a long pull. His thirst temporarily satisfied, he wiped his lips and placed the bottle on the counter below the telephone. "Reconciliation time, Brian baby," he declared, then removed Kerri's note from his wallet and dialed the telephone number.

"May I speak to Kerri, please?"

"Who's calling?" Andrea asked, her eyes focused on Kerri, no more than five feet away.

"Brian."

"Please hold for a minute," Andrea said, then cupped her hand over the mouthpiece. "It's your husband," she whispered, frowning and shaking her head, attempting to discourage Kerri from accepting the call.

"I'll take it," Kerri said, reaching for the receiver.

"You want me to leave?" Andrea asked.

Kerri shook her head, then pushed the hair away from her right ear to make room for the receiver. "Hi," she said, already experiencing the shame of being unable to suppress her curiosity.

"Kerri, I need to see you tonight? It's really important."

"Why?"

"There's so much I want to say to you...I want to do it in person."

"Just do it on the telephone."

"I can't. I really want to see you...I miss you."

"Have you been drinking?"

"Not a drop," Brian lied, rolling his eyes. "Please let me see you. I promise I'll behave myself."

"Brian, seeing me won't change a thing. I can't just sweep the past under the..."

"I'm desperate," Brian interrupted. "I'm right on the edge. I don't know what I'll do if I can't see you."

The tone of Brian's voice reminded Kerri of the most romantic time she had ever experienced with him, the night they sat in his car on Mount Seymour, near Vancouver, the loving and incredibly persuasive way he asked her to go to New York with him. The memory softened her resolve. "What do you want to talk about? I can't imagine..."

"Please let me see you, Kerri. I'll tell you when I get there."

Kerri remained silent.

"Please," Brian pleaded. "I can't begin to tell you how important it is to me."

"You can't stay long. I have work to do."

"I'll be there in less than thirty minutes."

"Just ring the doorbell. I'll come out," Kerri said, then hung up and stared forlornly at the telephone.

"I don't believe it," Andrea said, continuing her frown. "You're a masochist."

"I won't let him come in," Kerri promised, too embarrassed to make eye contact with Andrea. "We'll talk on the verandah."

"You know that's not what I meant. What I can't understand is why you agreed to see him. I would have told him to screw himself."

Kerri turned to face Andrea. "Would you understand if I told you I feel sorry for him?"

"How could you possibly feel sorry for a bastard like him? What does he have to do to make you realize he's a loser?"

"Maybe I'm a slow learner, or maybe there's a part of me that just can't let go."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

247 29 12
Billionaire James London has been having family pressures. He is also a very lonely man. All his money brings out some very big problems on the datin...
502K 13.5K 37
"Get away from me."I took her soft hands from my chest and pinned them on the wall.I closed the gap between us but our lips didn't meet.She looked in...
114K 3.3K 33
Mature | Erotica | Smut ***COMPLETED*** African American design wiz Kerstin London knows all about success. She has transformed herself from an 'unwa...
93.5K 2.4K 40
For 23 years old woman, Gia Florence went through lots of breaks up and she never been in a relationship for more than six months. All because she en...