OCTOBER ( stranger things )

By capeccod

in which cindy harrington must look past the loss of a friend in order to fight the demons that loom ahead o... More

๐ˆ๐๐“๐‘๐Ž๐ƒ๐”๐‚๐“๐ˆ๐Ž๐
๐’๐Ž๐”๐๐ƒ๐“๐‘๐€๐‚๐Š
๐„๐๐ˆ๐†๐‘๐€๐๐‡
๐‚๐‡๐€๐๐“๐„๐‘ ๐Ž๐๐„
๐‚๐‡๐€๐๐“๐„๐‘ ๐“๐–๐Ž
๐‚๐‡๐€๐๐“๐„๐‘ ๐“๐‡๐‘๐„๐„
๐‚๐‡๐€๐๐“๐„๐‘ ๐…๐Ž๐”๐‘
๐‚๐‡๐€๐๐“๐„๐‘ ๐…๐ˆ๐•๐„
๐‚๐‡๐€๐๐“๐„๐‘ ๐’๐ˆ๐—
๐‚๐‡๐€๐๐“๐„๐‘ ๐’๐„๐•๐„๐
๐‚๐‡๐€๐๐“๐„๐‘ ๐„๐ˆ๐†๐‡๐“
๐‚๐‡๐€๐๐“๐„๐‘ ๐๐ˆ๐๐„

๐„๐๐ˆ๐‹๐Ž๐†๐”๐„

454 18 0
By capeccod

ONE MONTH LATER

"OH MY GOODNESS!" Dianne Harrington squealed as her daughter descended down the stairs — the girl's lavender dress swishing with each step she took.

"Mom," Cindy warned — eyes darting from where her mother was practically running out of the living room — to where her father and Steve were sat on the couch, expectantly awaiting the youngest Harrington's reveal.

Ron stood from where he sat, ringed fingers tapping rhythmically over his knees. Her father walked slowly toward her mother's side, smiling softly as he caught a glimpse of his daughter. A smile from her father was something rare, and Cindy felt the prick of a blush spreading across her cheeks.

Steve had followed behind their father, slowly, as if trying not to get too close. His hands were shoved deep within the pockets of his jeans, the sleeves of his maroon cable knit sweater bunched up by his elbows. A genuine smile broke out upon his lips as soon as his gaze fell to his younger sister, who suddenly not longer looked so little.

"You stay right where you are," Dianne pointed a finger at her daughter with a raised brow. "I have to get the camera. Don't move, I mean it, Cindy."

Cindy groaned, fiddling awkwardly with the skirt of her dress as her mother left to fetch the camera from the living room. It was an odd occurrence for their family to be acting as they were at this moment — like a family, excited to commemorate Cindy's first school dance.

Dianne returned, socked feet shuffling so quickly across the sleek floors of the foyer that Cindy worried she might fall and seriously hurt herself. In her mother's hands was the camera, big and clunky within Dianne's slender fingers. Cindy shot her mother a displeased glance, one in which Dianne returned with a wink and an exaggerated show of the camera perched within her hands.

"Mom," Cindy called out for the second time, throwing her hands to her sides in a plea for her to hurry.

"You know," Dianne placed a hand on her hip. "If you would stop whining we could get this show on the road a lot faster, Cindy Harrington."

Cindy scoffed, but nevertheless, allowed an overly bright smile to appear across her face.

Steve snickered, and out of the corner of her eyes Cindy could see her brother focusing his gaze on his shoes in an attempt to hide the amused smile written across his features.

"Hey!" Cindy cried out, a frown replacing her plastered smile. "Mom? You aren't going to tell him to stop?!"

Dianne shrugged, confused as she looked between her two children.

"He's laughing at me!" Cindy cried, throwing a hand in her brother's direction.

"Oh, Steve," Dianne rolled her eyes, a hand placed on her hip yet again. "Don't laugh at your sister. I just got her to smile for a picture and you're ruining my chances at getting another."

Steve held his hands up in surrender. "I'm sorry. Please, Mom, don't let me ruin your chances."

Cindy glared at him before turning back to her mother, who pleaded for her to smile again as if it were her dying wish. After what felt like a million pictures, Dianne conceded, checking the time on her watch. "You two should probably go, I wouldn't want to make you late."

"Thank you," Cindy whispered as she looked to the ceiling above her, pretending some God had saved her from her mother's never-ending craving for more pictures.

Yet before she could fully descend down the last steps of the grand staircase, Dianne held out a hand in front of her daughter, the other frantically waving her son over.

"I lied," Dianne shook her head, ignoring the groan that escaped Cindy's lips. "One more. Steve."

Steve's head jerked up, watching his mother beckon him over like a deer in headlights. "Yes?"

Dianne rolled her eyes. "Come stand next to your sister for a picture. It won't kill you."

A grumble came from Cindy as her brother made his way to her side, standing slightly below her as she was elevated by the steps.

"Oh, my God," Dianne mocked. "You act like I'm torturing you."

Cindy raised an eyebrow, which pulled yet another snicker from her brother.

"Just one picture," Dianne pleaded with her daughter, who simply nodded in approval.

Cindy wrapped an arm across Steve's shoulders as he wrapped an arm around her waist. Despite her complaints, it was a picture that needed no coercion, each of their smiles just as bright, just as genuine.

"Okay, please, both of you, be safe," Dianne followed her children as they ventured closer to the door. "Steve, remember—"

"—The dance ends at ten, and I need to be waiting in the carpool line so she won't be standing outside the school alone for too long. I know, Mom. Don't worry about us," Steve nodded with a soft smile, planting a kiss on Dianne's cheek as he swiped his keys from the table next to the front door.

Dianne smiled, glancing between her two children. Cindy thought she had never looked more beautiful.

"Have so much fun," Her mother came closer to her, pressing a kiss to Cindy's forehead, careful not to ruin the ornate hairdo they had spent nearly an hour perfecting. "And be safe. I love you both."

"Love you," The siblings called back to their mother as they slipped out the door with a wave.

When they had made it to the car, Steve opened the passenger door for his sister, helping her into the seat in a way that wouldn't wrinkle the skirt of her dress. The tule of the skirt laid hanging outside of the car, and he picked it up carefully.

"Thanks," Cindy spoke softly. He closed her door for her, catching a final glimpse of her before making his way to his side.

Right before his eyes, his little sister was growing up. No longer was she the little girl he was sure she would always be in his eyes, now suddenly budding into the beginnings of being a teenager. A pang jolted through him as he realized there was absolutely nothing he could do to stop it.

When he joined her inside the car, he glanced at her, longer than he thought he had been as he saw a concerned look cross Cindy's face.

"Stop looking at me like that," She muttered. "You're really freaking me out."

He rolled his eyes playfully, shifting the car into reverse and beginning to pull out of the sprawling driveway.

"Oh, my God," Cindy muttered as Dustin scrambled into the backseat of Steve's car. She stared at him through the rearview mirror, eyes fixed on the scene that was his newly branded hairstyle. "You did not."

"Oh," Dustin smiled widely at her, meeting her gaze in the mirror. "But I did."

Cindy turned around in her seat to fully look at him, eyes wide as she inspected him.

After a beat of shocked silence, she narrowed her eyes at the boy. "Can I touch it?"

Dustin flicked his gaze toward Steve, who peered at him through the rearview. The older boy furrowed his eyebrows, shaking his head back and forth and mouthing a silent "no".

Dustin raised his brows, peering back over at Cindy as if the answer were obvious. "Absolutely not."

"Here we are," Steve spoke, leaning forward in his seat and looking past Cindy to see into the middle school gym, which had been transformed into a winter wonderland.

"So, remember," Steve peered back at Dustin, who had suddenly turned pale. "When you get in there..."

"—Just...act like I don't care." Dustin replied, earning a nod from Steve.

"You don't care." Steve shrugged.

"I don't care." Dustin declared finally.

"There you go, you're learning, my friend." Steve nodded at the boy in the backseat, who was trying to look at himself in Steve's rearview mirror.

"Hey, don't. You look great. You look, great." Steve assured.

"Now, you're gonna go in there, look like a million bucks, and slam down."

"Like a lion." Dustin replied, making letting a growl out that made Cindy's eyebrows shoot up with displeasure.

"Yeah...don't do that, okay?" Steve shook his head before holding out a hand for Dustin to shake.

"Good luck. You too, kiddo." Steve nudged Cindy with his elbow as she sat there, stuck to her seat as Dustin emerged from the car.

Noticing her hesitation, her brother nudged her again. "You nervous?"

Cindy nodded timidly.

"Don't be," Steve shook his head. "You look beautiful, and Mike will think so too. Okay?"

Cindy nodded and smiled up at him — nervously, but at least somewhat reassured — and hugged him quickly before getting out of the car.

"Hey," Steve called, rolling down the car window before Cindy could get too far from the car. When she glanced back at him questioningly, he pointed a stern finger in her direction. "Don't do anything I would do. If I hear you do anything more than so much as a side hug...your ass is grass, Harrington."

Cindy rolled her eyes, yet she couldn't fight off the wide smile that spread across her face, waving goodbye and walking into the dance.

The gym was packed as Cindy walked in. Everywhere she looked, there were crowds of people. Students she had passed in the halls, classmates she recognized, teachers and parent volunteers, all dressed nicer than she had ever seen them.

She tried desperately to ignore the trembling of her hands, her palms growing clammy as she suddenly felt lost amongst the crowd. Her eyes scanned the gym, hopelessly hoping she would find a familiar face. Dustin, Max, Lucas, Will, Mike, anybody.

To her right, a group of girls were seemingly pointing out members of the large crowd and giggling to themselves. She quickly recognized them, feeling a pang of guilt as she realized she had been their beloved leader only a year prior. She had once been their driving force, cliquey, judgmental, and snobby, pointing out the downfalls of those who she deemed unfit for her world of so called perfection in hopes that it would distract anyone from noticing the cracks in the facade that was her life.

It was then she realized the girls now were staring right back at her, each of their eyes wide as they took her in. Cindy inspected them, observing the slightest mix of both expectance and hopefulness that seemed to swim within the depths of their snake-like eyes, wondering if she had finally come back to her senses and decided to regain her former role.

"Cindy!" She heard her name being called from across the room, a voice she recognized and would forever think of as her saving grace.

From the middle of the gym, she could see Max perched at a blue tablecloth covered table, swiveled backward in the foldable chair she sat on. The redhead waved her hands slightly in the air, exaggeratedly hoping Cindy could see her.

A smile broke out across Cindy's face, taking in the smiling faces of each of her friends as she darted quickly toward their table. Silver and blue ribbons hung over their heads, balloons and pretend snow covered banners rippling throughout the gym, and she could hear the chorus of Every Breath You Take by The Police droning through her ears.

Cindy watched as Lucas and Max went over to dance, Will went off with a girl to dance, and Dustin went on the hunt for a girl to dance with, leaving Mike all alone at the table.

Walking toward him, his eyes scanned the gym, all until they landed on her. His eyes widened as he looked her up and down, her lavender dress cascading around her as she walked, the white flowers in her hair complementing her skin.

She looked so beautiful, he thought he could cry. She stopped, locking eyes with him, smiling nervously before they walked to meet in the middle of the gym.

"You...you look beautiful." Mike blurted out, smiling so wide, his cheeks hurt.

Cindy just blushed and smiled up at him. "Thank you, you look really handsome, Mike." She stated, biting her lip again as her nerves bubbled in her stomach.

"Do you wanna dance?" Mike asked her, looking only at her as she watched the other kids dance.

Pushing her nerves away, she smiled and looked back up at him. "I'd love to."

Taking her hand gently in his, Mike led her out to the dance floor, taking her hands and resting them on his shoulders. Cindy blushed and moved her hands up, closer to his neck, pulling herself closer to him as he placed his hands on her waist, smiling down at her.

They swayed back and forth, blocking out the music as they just stared at each other, smiles across their faces. It was only until he was about an inch away from her face when she realized he was leaning in.

Her heart fluttered, and she leaned in, sealing the gap between them, her hands on the back of his neck, pulling him closer as his hands now rested on her back, hugging her tighter to him.

Fireworks shot off in her head, and she was sure Mike could hear her heartbeat beating out of her chest. Pulling away, the two kids smiled at each other, both of their faces going a light shade of pink.

"Cindy?" Mike asked her quietly, his face going an even darker shade of pink as he summoned up enough courage to ask her what he had been wanting to ask her since he first met her.

"Yes?" Cindy smiled at him, noticing how nervous he now looked.

"Will you, um, be my..."

"Girlfriend?" Cindy asked, her heart fluttering out of her chest once again, with a smile that was almost too big for her face.

"Yeah." Mike looked down in embarrassment.

"Mike, I'd love to be your girlfriend." Cindy smiled.

Looking up at her, Mike smiled, hugging her closer to him as she put her cheek against his shoulder with a large smile as they continued to sway back and forth.

The party now sat back at their table, talking and laughing about anything and everything. Cindy looked at them, feeling lucky to have met each and every one of them.

Who would she be if they hadn't taken her back all those years ago? Probably some snobby rich kid who didn't care enough for herself and others, and she was thankful they saved her from that.

Turning to look at the rest of the dance, she turned her head as she noticed the gym doors opened, Eleven walking through them, her eyes wide and curious as she looked around the gym.

"Oh, my God." Cindy whispered, a smile on her face as she told the party she'd be back.

Cindy practically sprinted over to Eleven, who smiled when she saw her best friend.

"You look beautiful, El!" Cindy said, holding onto Eleven's arms as she looked her up and down.

"Joyce." Eleven spoke, and Cindy smiled even bigger.

"She did amazing. Oh, uh, do you wanna dance?" Cindy motioned toward the other kids, who were now dancing to a more upbeat song.

"I...don't know how." Eleven said, looking nervously at the other dancers.

"Trust me, I don't either, but we can figure it out together." Cindy smiled at Eleven, who smiled and nodded at her best friend, taking the hand that was extended out to her.

"See, like this." Cindy smiled, holding Eleven's hands in hers as the girls spun around, laughing at how stupid they most likely looked, although they could care less.

All that mattered was that they were back, together again. Home.

TO BE CONTINUED.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

97.3K 2K 36
'everything is blue' โ€ข season 2 & 3 โ€ข โ€ข book 1 of the stranger things series โ€ข
46.4K 1K 13
"๐š๐š‘๐šŽ๐šข ๐šœ๐šŠ๐šข, '๐š ๐š‘๐šŠ๐š ๐šŠ ๐šœ๐šŠ๐š ๐šœ๐š’๐š๐š‘๐š'" For Frankie Hopper, leaving and returning to Hawkins seemed like a yearly occurrence. This t...
42.4K 2.4K 13
-๐’๐€๐“๐„๐‹๐‹๐ˆ๐“๐„ แตโฑแตแต‰ สทสฐแต‰แต‰หกแต‰สณ '๐ข'๐ฆ ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž, ๐ซ๐ข๐ ๐ก๐ญ ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ž' -In which he...
3.3M 104K 78
โI DON'T GIVE A DAMN ABOUT MY BAD REPUTATIONโž in which mike wheeler falls for the kid sister of steve harrington. [mike...