THE TAINTED TRUST (Volume 2...

By SteveDouglass

No one wept when Jim Servito died. He left an estate amounting to $325,000,000 when his wife, Karen killed hi... More

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
CHAPTER 71
CHAPTER 72
CHAPTER 73
CHAPTER 74
CHAPTER 75
CHAPTER 76
CHAPTER 77
CHAPTER 78
CHAPTER 79
CHAPTER 80
CHAPTER 81
CHAPTER 82
CHAPTER 83
CHAPTER 84
CHAPTER 85
CHAPTER 86
CHAPTER 87
CHAPTER 88
CHAPTER 89
CHAPTER 90
CHAPTER 91
CHAPTER 92
CHAPTER 93
CHAPTER 94
CHAPTER 95
CHAPTER 96
CHAPTER 97
CHAPTER 98
CHAPTER 99
CHAPTER 100
CHAPTER 101
CHAPTER 102

CHAPTER 51

4 0 0
By SteveDouglass

        Toronto. Monday, April 2, 1990

Mike traversed the slush-covered parking lot on his way to the door of his office. The warmth of the sunshine and the continued strength of his business and marriage to Karen contributed to his buoyant frame of mind. He whistled as he entered the building and walked down the hallway leading to the open office area. "Hi Margaret," he greeted one of his two secretaries.

She looked up and smiled. "Morning Mike...Chris Lippert's waiting for you in your office. You're not going to like what he has to say."

His smile disappeared. "What is it? Tell me before I go in there?"

"I think I should let him tell you."

Mike hurried to his office, closed the door and faced Terry Lippert, his most experienced representative and responsible for the supervision of Mike's Toronto area retail gasoline outlets. Now thirty-two years of age, Lippert had been hired by Mike as a station manager, eight years earlier. Acknowledging Lippert's commitment to the business and tireless efforts, Mike had rewarded him with generous salary increases and advancing levels of responsibility.

Lippert's worried facial expression spoke volumes. "Did Margaret tell you why I'm here?" he asked.

"No, but she told me I'm not going to like what you're going to tell me."

"She was right about that...I think you should sit down."

"Terry, just do it!" Mike demanded.

"We uncovered a credit card kiting scam...It's an in-house deal." Lippert paused and looked away, wishing he could just stop talking. "Phillip's in on it."

Mike walked slowly behind his desk and sat in his brown velour covered swivel chair. "You sure?" he asked, his eyes locked on Lippert's.

Lippert nodded. "I wish I wasn't. Phillip and Gary Matheson have been doing it for some time. If Phillip hadn't been greedy, we probably wouldn't have known about his involvement. He tried to recruit some of the other managers, but they refused and told me the whole story."

"Were you aware of the scam before they told you?"

Lippert nodded. "It started when one of our customers phoned to complain about an overcharge on his credit card statement. According to his records, he bought twenty dollars worth of gasoline on February twenty-sixth. His statement showed he bought thirty dollars worth. If that was an isolated occurrence, we probably would have told the customer it was impossible to substantiate his claim. It was simply our word against his."

"There were more?"

"A lot more. We audited all the credit card drafts for February and March and found a ton of them."

"How did they do it?"

"Suppose you bought twenty dollars worth of gasoline and used your credit card to pay for it. Now, suppose the attendant takes your signed credit card draft and changes the twenty to a thirty. He puts the thirty dollar draft in his cash drawer and takes out ten dollars, cash. That maneuver balances his cash. Then he puts the ten in his pocket, and you get charged for thirty instead of twenty."

Mike winced and shook his head. "Dammit, Chris, I've heard of a lot of ill- conceived scams in my career, but this is the dumbest. Those kids had to know that eventually some customers would reconcile their purchases with their statements."

Lippert chuckled. You'll love this one. "The latest complaint we got was from a woman who got a fifty-six dollar charge on her statement. It bothered her because she said her car won't hold any more than fifty dollars worth."

"How much money are we talking about?"

"So far, we've paid out eight hundred and seventy dollars in claims, but we know there's more. I wonder how many people were ripped off and just blindly paid without checking their statements."

"Has Matheson ever been caught with his hand in the cookie jar before?"

"He's clean. In fact he's a damn good manager...What do you want me to do with them?"

"Haul both of them in here tomorrow morning. I'll talk to them."   

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.1K 435 8
Johnny and Kimi are two young lovers who are the only witnesses to a gangland hit. One early summer afternoon, they ride their motorcycles to the la...
247 29 12
Billionaire James London has been having family pressures. He is also a very lonely man. All his money brings out some very big problems on the datin...
6.8M 197K 36
I stood outside his door, suddenly nervous. I knocked and heard a gruff 'come in' before stepping into his office. He didn't even look up at me when...
124K 2.1K 43
🚧 UNDER CONSTRUCTION 🚧 〤In editing process, first book, revamping in progress〤 ❝ 𝐿𝑜𝓋𝑒 𝑀𝒶𝒹𝑒 𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝒟𝒶𝓃𝑔𝑒𝓇 𝐼𝓃 𝒴𝑜𝓊 𝐿𝑜𝑜𝓀 𝐿𝒾𝓀...