The Rules | ✅ Completed

By Sammers

I have three basic rules to live by Don't draw attention to myself. Make it through another year. My brother'... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Author's Note
Epilogue
Alternate Epilogue
Author's Note
Author's Note

Chapter 3

4.8K 114 20
By Sammers

"Are the rumors true," Heather asked as I sat down next to her at our table.

"No I don't think Mr. Jones is pregnant."

"Not that one," she rolled her eyes and presented her phone to me. On the screen was an announcement for Shane's party.

"If it was on the internet," I shrugged.

"Why didn't you tell me? I have to prepare," her eyes fell to me and scanned my outfit. A flannel thrown over my Simple Plan tank top and ripped up jeans. "And so do you. We're going shopping tonight."

"I don't have money," I lied. I hated shopping with Heather. She had to go into every store, except the ones that I liked. I also ended up carrying most of the bags.

"Daddy'll pay," she flashed me a knowing grin. Her dad gave her a credit card for her sixteenth birthday instead of a car. Now, she uses it for everything and he has said anything about it. I didn't say anything else knowing better than to fight with her.

"She's alive," Cam practically dropped his chair as he wrapped his arms around me.

"Can't. Breath," I gasped tapping his arms.

"Why didn't you tell me you didn't die?"

"You thought I died?"

"When I pulled up to get you, Finn carried you to the car. You were passed out cold."

"Finn," I beyond confused.

"What do you remember from Friday night?"

"Not much," I sighed, then froze. The pressure from Heather's stare could be felt a mile away. "What?"

"You and Finn," she wiggled her eyebrows at me.

"No," I shook my head, "No way. He's my brother's friend. One of the shining stars on the team."

"And pretending to be a knight and shining armor. Oh my god! Your kids would be gorgeous," she cooed as she reached over to pinch my cheeks.

"Stop it," I squealed as Cam joined her.

"She was cuddled against him as he carried her. She looked so peaceful. Do you think she's breaking on of her precious rules?"

"I'm going to the library," I muttered as I scooped up my books from the table and scurried across the cafeteria to the main hallway. My face was flushed as I snuck to the library. Had I really been cuddled against Finn? The thought brought back the flutters, but also the slight churn that I experienced at the party. For starters we had nothing in common. Then there was the rule I made about dating my brother's friends.

The librarian poked her head out of her office when she heard me come in. She nodded once with a soft barley-there smile before returning to her work. Setting my books on one of the tables, I scanned the shelves as I walked through them. The perfectly marked spines all called to me. A rainbow of colors and various fonts lining the way. Finding the book I started last week, I pulled it from the shelf and crossed my legs as I sat on the floor.

I stayed there, turning page after page until the bell rang to dismiss lunch. A heavy sigh left me as I stood, replaced the book and gathered my own from the table. I was not prepared for history. How was I going to sit through a whole class with him beside me? Does he remember what happened that night?

The questions piled onto one another as I entered the class room. My fingers spun the pen in my hand as I stared at my notes. The bell to start class and Finn walked in. He apologized to our teacher who sent him a warning look. Just like every class before, he sat in at the desk next to mine. A stack of papers were passed to each row then back as our teacher discussed a paper the would be writing; in pairs. My stomach dropped. I hated group projects. It meant conversing with my other classmates who I didn't know.

"Choose your partners wisely," Mr. Houghs said before walking to his desk.

"Blaine, right?" Hesitantly I looked up to the owner of the voice and nodded. "I was wondering if you wanted to pair up?"

"Owen," I forced a smile. His clean cut black hair complimented his deep, blue eyes. A dimple was present when he returned my smile. I was trying to find my voice when someone elses cut in.

"Sorry, man. She's already got one." My head snapped to Finn who was staring down Owen. I looked back at Owen surprised to find him backing away.

"What was that," I hissed at Finn.

"I'm keeping you out of trouble," Finn shrugged.

"It's a paper. How much trouble could I get into?"

"Remember then unwanted attention we talked about at the party," he wasn't shy about pointing at Owen's retreating form. "He is the unwanted attention. Besides, your brother would kill him."

"So what, you're my brother's guard dog now? If he can't be my big and scary shadow, you will be?"

"Sounds fun," he smirked then slid his desk closer to mine. "So, I was thinking we should go with Queen Elizabeth's reign and how it paved the way to England today."

**~~**

Just as she had promised, Heather dragged me with her to the mall and paraded me through the expensive boutiques. I now have three new skirts, a pair of skinny jeans, two more tanks, an off the shoulder blouse and a little black dress. It hugged me tight and stopped way too far up my thighs. If Lucas ever saw it, he would probably burn it.

A big pink and black sign was standing out front of the lingerie store. With a high pitched squeal, Heather grabbed my hand and pulled me into the store. I did my best to protest when Heather stopped dead in her tracks at the table littered with underwear. She picked up a few different pairs and examined each of them in turn. Turning to me she asked the question I wished she wouldn't.

"What size are you?"

"I draw the line at my underwear drawer."

"Please," she pouted, "You're going to need at least one new pair to go with that dress. I could see the lines of your boyshorts from across the store."

"One pair," I mumbled as I stepped up to the table.

"And one bra," she held up a finger.

"Fine." I eyed the wide array of colors dangling from her fingers. "Are those actually comfortable?"

"Believe it or not, they can be. You just have to find the right style and size." Sounds like a horrible math equation to me. If girl A is thirteen inches around the waist and her ass sticks out four inches, what size should her underwear be?

After half an hour in the store, I walked out with a tiny bag for my lone bra and panty set. Heather walked out with a bigger one, beaming with delight. I started rambling about getting home when I caught sight of a crowd in the food court. God couldn't give me a break already. Heather was already headed in that direction agreeing to take me home. There was no avoiding it.

My brother and his pose were sitting around a table, trays covered in the remense of their orders. There was a girl hanging on Lucas while another sat close to Shane. She was clinging to every word leaving his mouth. A third girl sat on Finn's lap and giggled when he interrupted the story. Taking hold of Heather's arm, I pulled her faster toward the exit.

"Lainy," my brother's voice echoed through the open space. I cringed when Heather stopped and looked in their direction. She waved then pranced over to the crowded table. Lucas looked at the bags in my hand then back up to me. "I thought you said you were going to the bookstore?"

"We were just headed there."

"We had to pick up a few things for this weekend," Heather fed into the lie as her hip bumped mine.

"What's this weekend?" His eyes were boring into mine now.

"Shane's party. Your sister has, like, nothing to wear to these things."

"I thought you weren't coming," Joseph asked.

"Of course she is." My friend cut me off with a duh buried in her tone. Lucas' lips flattened into a line. I would have taken him seriously had the blonde not still been wrapped around him.

"You never know, might actually enjoy this one," I spoke up. From the corner of my eye, I watched Finn fidget with the girl on his lap.

"That's the spirit," Shane smiled at me. My brother punched his arm.

"Don't encourage her."

"We better get going," I tugged on Heather's arm.

"I'll see you when I get home." Lucas' tone suggested there was no getting out of the lecture he was piecing together. I nodded and pulled heather one more time. She unglued from her place and we were making a causal break for freedom.

**~~**

"You aren't going this weekend."

"Why not?" My brother was standing in front of me as I sat on my bed. "And if you say because I said so I'm going to drink twice as much as last weekend."

"Do you hear yourself? You sound like a kid."

"Maybe that's because you treat me like one." I saw the muscles in his jaw twitch and knew I struck a chord. Our mom had left a few years ago. Wanted to do something different with her life. Our dad did everything in his power to keep our household in one piece but he worked crazy hours. That left Lucas responsible for me. My head dropped as the apology slipped out.

"Where is this coming from? I mean, last year you were cutting class to avoid people. This year all you want to do is be seen."

"I don't want to be seen. I want to be a high schooler while I can." I looked up at him and watched his face shift from stern to understanding.

"You can come with, but you will be by my side or in sight the whole night. Is that clear?"

"Are you really setting down rules for a party?"

"Just for that, I get to approve what you're wearing." His gaze shifted to the bags I hadn't put away yet.

"Heather will fight you." I crossed my arms over my chest. I personally have no problem with him vetoing the dress, but I would end up hearing about it the whole night. That is what I was negotiating for at the moment.

"Whatever," he grumbled, "But the first rule applies. I'm not playing, Blaine. Don't go off with anybody or take drinks from someone. Deal?" He stretched his hand out toward me and I smiled at the small victory.

"Deal."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.8K 722 55
The beginning chapters of this story have been revised and rewritten. #2 out of 2.1K stories in secretlove- Oct 12, 2023 #7 in secretlove - Feb 6, 2...
1.1K 27 22
"All week, you've been on my mind, and I can't make it go away. Finally, after suffering in silence for so long at the thought of your lips, your lau...
35.4K 1.2K 35
"Are you stalking me?" His deep voice asked. "You wish, that would mean I actually thought about you enough to wonder where you are." I looked away...
2.9K 69 21
#2 in Colbybrockfanfiction as of May 23, 2019 😍 I opened the door to reveal a girl with long ombré hair, she's wearing a big black hoodie, and a bl...