The Rules | ✅ Completed

By Sammers

I have three basic rules to live by Don't draw attention to myself. Make it through another year. My brother'... More

Author's Note
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Author's Note
Epilogue
Alternate Epilogue
Author's Note
Author's Note

Chapter 1

7.5K 148 29
By Sammers

Junior year. One step closer to getting out of this town. The thoughts rattled on in my head as I sat on the wall that ran the length of the quad just outside of the high school. My phone buzzed and Heather's face appeared on my screen. It was the second message she sent claiming only five more minutes. A flood of heart emojis filled a second message. She was always fashionably late. I weighed the excuses she could possibly use when I heard someone call my name.

Looking up, I caught sight of my brother with his crew coming over to me. I scanned the faces and smiled at each of them. Lucas, my brother, effortlessly jumped up onto the wall beside me. "Why aren't you inside yet?"

"Waiting on Heather," I shrugged. Shane jumped up onto the wall, taking up the spot on my other side. He lazily slung his arm around my shoulders.

"Our little, Lainy is all grown up," he croaked causing the guys to all smirk or laugh. "About to embark on her junior year. It seems like only yesterday she was running around-"

"Finish that sentence and you won't be able to throw a ball for a week," I muttered, heat creeping up my neck.

Shane and Lucas had been friends for as long as I could remember. He was like an honorary member in the Lester household and had no problem reminding me of it. If I didn't know all the crazy things he had done, or witnessed them first hand, I probably would have crushed on him. He was the starting quarterback, and looked like the perfect specimen. Heather has asked me to set them up, but it felt too wierd.It would be like she was dating my brother.

"She's feisty this morning," Joseph, the brickwall of a lineman, chuckled as he shoved Finn. Both boys were sporting huge smiles at my current situation. Lucas forced Shane's arm off of me and shot him a look.

"Hands off man," he muttered. Shane threw up his hands and leaned away from me. I gave him a knowing smile.

"No harm, no foul," Shane mused. A pair of senior girls passed by us and his attention was suddenly elsewhere. "I'll catch up with you guys in home room."

He was off the wall and half way across the quad before any of us could say anything. I rolled my eyes, making Joseph laugh. Jumping off the wall, Lucas picked up my backpack and held it out to me.

"Come on, Lainy," he wiggled my bag back and forth on his finger. "Let's get you to class."

"But Heather-"

"Heather is going to be ten minutes late," he smirked. "And you, my dear, sister aren't going to be late on your first day of school."

"Bossy," I muttered before jumping off the wall. I wiped off the back of my jeans before taking my bag from Lucas. Joseph's hulking form cleared a path as we entered the school building. I was used to people staring at this group whenever I was with them. I, to my liking, was always overlooked. As we entered the hall where my locker was, the guys said their good-byes as my brother hung back.

"You going to actually go to class today?"

"Yes," I hissed.

"Ease up on the attitude, Blaine. After last year, you can't blame me for asking."

"Just because the teachers in this hell hole are oblivious isn't my fault." My fingers worked at the combo before I lifted the latch and open the metal door. I pulled shoved my back inside and snatched a pen from the outermost pocket. I shoved into my bun and slammed the locker door shut again. "If only you knew the actual number of classes I skipped."

"Excuse me," my brother blocked my path. His arms were crossed tightly over his chest and a scowl was etched into his face.

"You said you would drop it," I glared back at him, my stance mirroring his.

"Lester," a deep voice boomed. An older man stalked down the hall toward us and I waved to my brother. Thank you Coach Gilly, I silently praised as I snuck around my brother as the head football coach took my place.

I zig-zagged through the clusters of people filling the hallways. Groups of girls squealed as they hugged each other. Boys leaned against the walls watching the girls passing by. Some kids already had books in the arms as the also fought the crowds to make it to homeroom. Finding my designated class, I claimed a seat at the back of the room. I crossed my arms over my chest and stretched out my legs under the desk in front of me.

"Saving this one," a familiar voice asked. I looked up to spot my second best friend, Cam.

"Who would I save a seat for?"

"That hurts, Laine," Cam's hand clutched at his chest as he pouted. I shook my head hoping to fight off the smile growing. I lazily waved my hand at the still empty seat. "Where's the fabulous Heather?"

"Running late," I shrugged.

"Five bucks says she blames her outfit."

"Please, she had that picked out last week. I bet it's her make-up."

"Bet," he held out his hand. I shook it as the teacher came in. The stack of folders wobbling in her arm. She was always the frazzled sort and enjoys living in the life of organized chaos. She threw papers in folders, but never kept track of what went into the folder.

"Well, aren't we being punctual this year," she smiled at me.

"Hello, Ms. Waller," I returned her smile. More students filed into the room and the chatter slowed as Miss Waller went to the front of the room to take roll call.

**~~**

After four classes it was confirmed that I was still terrible at math, Biology two was going to be a mistake, the rumors about my English teacher were true and Art was going to be my favorite. As I entered the cafeteria, I found Heather right away. She had claimed a round table near the windows and was basking in the afternoon sun. Cam set his lunch on the table as I took up the empty seat between them.

"Why were you late," Cam asked as he popped a chicken nugget in his mouth.

"My curling iron decided is going to die this morning, and my mom was too busy using hers to lend it to me."

"Damn," Cam mumbled as he finished chewing. Heather flicked her hair over her shoulder as she turned and raised a brow at him. "We were betting on what was the dilemma was this time."

"Bite me, Soup," she snapped.

"You swore you weren't going to call me that anymore," he pointed at her, his hand nearly hitting me in the face.

"I had my fingers crossed," she shrugged. As fast as she reacted to Cam's dig, she plastered her flirty smile in place. "Is it just me or does he get hotter every year?"

"It's just you," I muttered as I subtly studied my brother's crew from the corner of my eye. The took up an entire table as the masses swarmed to them.

"You mean to tell me that you have never, ever looked at any of them and drooled a little?"

"Not everybody has a dirty one-track mind like you," Cam smirked as he ate another nugget.

"June Stevens," Heather spoke slowly and sharply.

"New rule," Cam looked at Heather with daggers, "Heather isn't allowed to speak."

"Good luck with that one," I snorted. Heather shoved me, a smirk playing at her lips.

"Just for that you have to come out with me Friday," she mused. I leaned away from her as my stomach sank from the dangerous gleam in her eye.

"No."

"Yes," she answered shortly, "We've got two more years left, and you have barely lived a true high schooler life, Laine. You bury yourself behind homework, and books. Now is the time to be wild, because you can you use being an adolescent as an excuse. We only get so many years to do that."

"She has a point." I looked to the one person who never judged me for keeping to my perfect bubble.

"Cameron Bell," I gasped.

"Would you feel better if I went with?"

"Come on, Lainy," Heather clasped her hands together as she begged. Her wide brown eyes staring at me.

"Fine," I groaned. Both my friends cheered, drawing eyes toward our table. Heather took the opportunity to wave at a cute senior who slowed to take us in.

Walking into World History, I continued my pattern of finding a spot in the back of the room. After my second class, I dug through my locker for a notebook and doodled on the new crisp pages in every class that followed. This one would be no different. I flipped open the cover and my pen went to work as if on its own. Students took up seats, most sitting in groups and still talking. Unlike all the other classes, someone sat in the seat next to mine.

My hand froze me swirl as copper hair appeared in the corner of my eye. Cinnamon enveloped my space as he leaned closer. He tsked his tongue as he sat back in his seat.

"Luke is going to be disappointed to find that you aren't taking any notes," Finn teased.

"And who's going to tell him," I challenged as I sat straighter in my seat and looked at him. His hair was messed into a careless style, and his vibrant green eyes sparkled as he smiled. Heather was right about one thing, I did drool over my brother's friend. He was the only one who hadn't treated me like a kid, or a sister. In fact, he hardly paid any real attention to me.

"I can keep a secret if you can," he winked as the teacher called for everyone's attention. The soft smile on my face was hard to fight as I focused again on the paper in front of me.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

26.8K 722 55
The beginning chapters of this story have been revised and rewritten. #2 out of 2.1K stories in secretlove- Oct 12, 2023 #7 in secretlove - Feb 6, 2...
1.1K 27 22
"All week, you've been on my mind, and I can't make it go away. Finally, after suffering in silence for so long at the thought of your lips, your lau...
17.2M 419K 26
Nobody can forget their first kiss. Even if you were only 6 years old. Especially when the person who kissed you was your older brother's bestfriend...
1.8K 99 44
"So what did you think of the assignment?" He persisted in getting an answer but Bailey had another conversation already in mind. "I noticed you loo...