d'Artagnan And Her Musketeers...

By QuillSparkle

Fifteen years old, Cosette d'Artagnan disguises herself as Charles d'Artagnan and arrives in Paris to Avenge... More

profile - Cosette D'Artagnan
Chapter 1: Of Secrecy and Vengeance
Chapter 2: Meeting the Inseperables
Chapter 3: Forgiveness
Interlude - Letters and Greiving
Interlude - Gained Trusts
Chapter 4: Emile Bonnaire
Chapter 5: The Bonnaires Strike Again
Chapter 6: The Tragic Story of Athos and Milady de Winter
Chapter 7: The Homecoming
Chapter 8: The Court of Miracles
Chapter 9: Secrets and Lies
Chapter 10: Flea's Advice
Chapter 11: No Ordinary Kidnapping
chapter 12: A Mother's Intuition
Chapter 13: A Woman's Secrets
Chapter 14: Brothers and Sister
Chapter 15: Women Equality
Chapter 16: A Woman's Privilege
Chapter 17 - Trial
Chapter 18: And A Woman's Salvation
chapter 19: A Musketeer in All but Name
Chapter 20: Sometimes, It's Head over Heart
Chapter 22: Knight Takes Queen
Chapter 23: Treacherous
Chapter 24: Fatal Secrets
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27

Chapter 21 A Femme Fatale Musketeer

692 15 0
By QuillSparkle

"This is wrong and dangerous," Athos advised his captain. D'Artagnan not being allowed to fight and Treville being the challenger instead both were on the same level of idiocy.

"This challenge is my doing," said Treville. "It is my responsibility to see it through."

"Instead of giving yourself one last moment of glory, you should be giving d'Artagnan the chance to win his commission from the King."

"You think this is about glory?"

"All I know is that d'Artagnan has it in him to be a fine Musketeer, perhaps the greatest of us all. But now? We'll never know, because you have stolen his best chance to prove it."

Athos stormed out of Treville's office as the captain took it all in. He would not have Cosette be killed over Treville's mistake

Constance sat uneasy, waiting for Cosette to return home. She tried not crying. Her husband figured everything out. He knew Cosette was a girl. Constance feared for her best friend's life. Her husband was now an ally of the Cardinal's. It was not for her benefit, or for Cosette's but her own husband's. Constance did not know what to do or what to say except what Bonacieux told her.

Constance knew what would happen to her best friend. She would be imprisoned or worse, killed for pretending to be a man and she would not let that happen. When Constance meant she would protect Cosette at all costs, this was not what she had in mind.

"Treville's taken the fight for himself," Cosette added. Constance was disappointed to hear that, but she was more worried to protecting Cosette. It would be worth it for her best friend's safety.

"Well, then, I suppose that puts an end to your daydream," Constance responded. Cosette blinked.

"What are..."

"I'm sorry Cosette, but I cannot take it anymore. The lies, keeping your secret. It's killing me."

"Constance, where is this coming from?" Cosette pointed out. "You have always helped me."

"I only helped you because I took pity on you," Constance snapped. Inside, this was killing her. "But this, whatever we have, this friendship it's not real."

"Not real?" Cosette began. "But Constance, you are my friend,"

"I am a respectable, married woman Cosette." Constance said coldly. "And I could never be friends with a disrespectful little girl who passes herself as a boy. I can't risk my future for you. I have far too much to lose." Cosette, for the life of her, could not figure out where this was coming from. This was not the Constance she called "sister" a couple of days ago. D'Artagnan's tear came running down her cheek.

"I'm sure you've made the right decision," Cosette said through the sob. "Thank you for helping me see things more clearly."

Without another word, Cosette stormed out of the room and the house. When she left, Bonacieux looked at Constance and was satisfied with how it turned out. However, when her husband left the house, Constance broke down crying.

Cosette, despite what she was feeling, appeared at the backyard of the Louvre, right in between Aramis and Athos. The latter of the two women looked back at her.

"There's nowhere else to go, anyways," said Cosette.

Athos sighed very silently so that way that Cosette did not hear him at all.

"D'Artagnan," Athos whispered into her ear, "despite your actions with Lebarge a couple of night. You'll make a fine Musketeer one day. And I am proud on how far you have gotten."

Cosette said nothing. However, Athos to comfort her laid a hand on the back of her arm gently. She looked at him, apparently giving them a silent thank you, but she remained, quiet and stoic. In honesty, Cosette was breaking inside. First Treville, and now Constance. Despite comfort and praise from Athos, Cosette still felt agony rise within her. Meanwhile, Aramis looked up to the stands, unaware of Milady's presence when he finally caught sight of Porthos' mistress.

"You invited your widow?" Aramis asked. Porthos looked towards his friend annoyed.

"Her name's Alice."

"You only needed 30 livres, not a wife."

"Did I say anything about marriage? No."

"My God. You're actually considering it?"

"There is a life beyond the Musketeers, you know."

"Well, one thing I've learned. Never put your trust in love," Cosette hissed, remembering her account with Constance. Athos and Aramis looked at each other over Cosette's head, just wondering where that had come from. Despite Constance breaking from Cosette, she still had her three brothers with her.

From across the team, the Red Guards and the King's stands where the King and Queen and Richelieu were sitting. Cosette got rid of her pout as Treville left the tent. She was supposed to be professional not act like a child. They all wished Treville luck. Louis was also excited. However quickly, people's expressions turned to confusion when they announced the Red Guard's champion: Lebarge. Cosette shook her head. That man was supposed to be locked up.

"This is some sort of sick joke," Cosette hissed.

Well, the Captain isn't surprised," said Aramis.

"He knew," Porthos added.

"Well, this is highly irregular," Louis said out loud, so much that everyone could hear him. "Shouldn't he be in the Bastille?"

"Oh, I'm a great believer in rehabilitation, Sire. Lebarge is now a commissioned officer in the Red Guards."

Cosette felt every pain that Treville had been suffering. She nearly screamed when she saw Treville land on the ground and with that Lebarge stepped on Treville's shoulder fairly hard, enough to break a bone in his body.

"He'll kill him!" Cosette shouted. She raced right onto the tournament ground. Athos, Aramis and Porthos tried to stop her. However, they saw Cosette was right.

"What the hell are you doing?" Treville shouted.

"Saving your life!" shouted Cosette in return.

The Musketeers and the Red Guards entered a small duel. The King was infuriated.

"Stop!" shouted the King. He looked at Richelieu who was disappointed. "Your man broke the rules, Cardinal. Captain Treville may nominate another champion, if he wishes."

Treville and the other Musketeers looked at each other. Athos gave Treville a pointed look, so did Porthos and Aramis, who had been aware of Athos' conversation. Cosette surely had missed a conversation between her brothers and godfather. Whatever it was, it was influencing Treville. All the other Musketeers, including Bauer, Philippe, Henri, knew what his decision was going to be.

"I nominate d'Artagnan to take my place," said Treville. Cosette blinked. Aramis and Porthos pat her on the back as she brought out her rapier.

"My little friend from the Bastille? You look even more pathetic in the daylight. I'm going to enjoy this.

"Somehow I doubt it," Cosette fired back. She and the maniac fought each other. Athos, Porthos and Aramis watched as Cosette fought back.

"Is that the best you've got?" Lebarge shouted to her. Cosette breathed in and out before going to give the final blow. "I wish I could remember burning down your farm! It would make killing you a lot sweeter!"

Cosette calmed herself and her entire body stopped quivering. She remembered Athos' words "head over heart." That is what she intended on doing. And in one last blow Cosette took her rapier and stabbed Lebarge in his stomach.

"That's for the people of Gascony, you son of a bitch," Cosette muttered. She twisted her blade and when she was sure that Lebarge was dead. She breathed. She couldn't believe it. She had won the fight. Avenged her family farm, avenged the people Lebarge terrorized and finally found herself peace with herself. King Louis was impressed with D'Artagnan's charisma, fighting skills. He'd never seen anything more impressive in his entire life since he saw Treville fight.

Athos pat his student on the back of her shoulder.

"Bravo, d'Artagnan. I hereby declare the Musketeer regiment the winners," said Louis. ' Ah, yes, now, the prize money is forfeit to the Treasury. After all, the rules were broken. We do need to collect our taxes somehow."

Cosette did not care about the money. She was just glad that they won this round.

""It's 2,000 livres I think you said, Cardinal," Louis looked to Cosette. "You defended your captain with great heroism today. I admire loyalty more than any other virtue."

"Thank you, Your Majesty," Cosette said, ignoring the blush appearing on her olive cheeks.

"Please kneel," said Louis, as he smiled at her. Cosette was confused at first. Did he mean...

Athos, from her right, muttered, with a smile, "Get on your knees before the King changes his mind.

Louis took his ceremonial sword, placing the blade on her shoulders as he spoke.

"I hereby commission you into my regiment of Musketeers." Said the King.

Athos appeared with a tan brown pauldron and slipped it through her arm and over her shoulder. Proud of his student, Athos put a hand on Cosette's shoulder. It was official. Cosette was not just a Musketeer. She was the first femme fatale musketeer asking ranks even though no one knew it.

" May you serve it always with the same distinction that I witnessed today," said Louis. Cosette kept her head down but acknowledges her King with a nod. As she went up to her feet, Cosette looked to her three brothers. Aramis and Cosette hugged each other tightly. Then came Porthos, and when it came to Athos, Cosette felt slightly weird hugging him. Instead of making it difficult for her, Athos and her grasped arms with each other. However, in this case, it would be there version of a hug.

"Well done, d'Artagnan. I'm proud to have you under my command," said Treville.

"Thank you. Thank you so much," Cosette said with a smile as they clasped arms.

"Your father would be proud of you, Cosette," Treville spoke to her so quietly that she acknowledged his sentiment.

"Well, I say it calls for celebration," Porthos said. He pat Cosette on the shoulder. "Wine anyone?"

"Yes, but we are mostly there for d'Artagnan," Aramis said. He smiled. "Our new official member."

"Yes, but first I've got to go to the Bonacieuxs' house to get my things," Cosette said.

"Of course," Athos said. "When you get to the garrison, D'Artagnan, I'll help you get settled in your room, if you need help. As soon as I get Treville back home."

Cosette nodded and gave a smile. "Thank you. I'll be right back." Porthos went to bid Alice farewell.

"Oh yes, and D'Artagnan, invite Constance if you want to," Aramis added. Cosette glared at Constance's name. Her ex-best friend who broke off her friendship with her.

"I'll try," Cosette said. She looked away and walked from her friends as Aramis was blinking from Cosette's statement.

"Was it something I said?" Aramis asked Athos.

She and Sapphire went to the Bonacieuxs' house one last time. She gathered all the things she needed. Constance watched her former best friend coming out from the stairs.

"So, you're going to the garrison now," Constance asked.

Cosette nodded. "It's home now. But why should you care? Now, my secret is no burden on you now," she said. Cosette stormed out of the Bonacieuxs house. Meanwhile, Constance watched from above as Cosette joined Milady de Winter. Constance closed her eyes. For her at first, breaking Cosette's heart by breaking her friendship off with her, Constance thought her best friend was now safe. But now, she had driven her friend out of her life and into Milady's instead.

Now Constance realized she did have too much to lose after all, and that "too much to lose was her losing her best friend.

Cosette denied Milady's offer to get her a ride to the garrison instead to reserve it for another time.

And thus, the deadly battle was already beginning.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 64 11
Post-Breaking Dawn Short Story - Completed June 30, 2021 The Volturi have eradicated nearly all of the vampire-human hybrids following the battle wit...
312K 7.4K 45
A woman with PTSD and anxiety. A man with anger management. Yet it is not a recipe for disaster. (First Book In The Phonebook Series)
11.3K 241 17
Marko has been dreaming,he never usually does this.he's been having the same about the same specific game,he doesn't know this but her name is Dani,a...
151K 3.6K 16
A single mom, a little boy, and a new neighbor. Phoenix, watches the new neighbor work on cars. One day Phoenix asks him a question that almost break...