Drowning In Desire ***COMPLE...

By TracyRichards87

He saved her from drowning... Who will save her from him... Matthew Weldrick must marry and produce... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15

Chapter 9

5.8K 263 12
By TracyRichards87

Anna paced in her setting room as her two daughters watched her unsure of what to say to put her at ease. They knew it was best to let out some anger out before they approached any subject. She continued and mumbled to herself then stepped in front of both of them. "How could he?" Without waiting for a reply she continued making a path in the rug she walked across.

Arabella being the youngest was the most outspoken between the two getting away with most everything. She had no qualms to give her opinion when it wasn't needed or wanted. "I think she is rather pretty."

Clara glared at her. Their mother stopped in mid step turning towards Arabella with a look of shock. "How could you say such a thing when you know how I feel about this situation he has put us all in."

"I just don't see what the issue is, mother." Anabella folded her hands on her lap innocently and gave her a look that was advanced for her eighteen years.

"Issue!" Anna screeched. Her hand flew to her chest shocked at her own raised voice. Taking a deep breath she came to a chair opposite to both girls. Composing herself before she continued. "He has brought a trollop and her whole family under our roof and is flaunting her in front of us. Knowing full well he should be in London searching for a wife." She spat the last part out still trying to hold herself in check.

"I would have to agree that was quite a shock." Clare finally chimed in.

"Not to me, he always seems to find them rather quickly." Anabella smiled sweetly, until Clara nudged her in the ribs. Which made Anabella make a most unlady like grunt.

"Well, I will not stand for it." Anna stood up looking down at her daughters. "We will find a way to put and end to it and get him to London and a bride. You both will help me." She didn't ask them, but told them of her plans to rid them of Abigail Willhoite.

Clara agreed readily if only to keep her mother at peace. While Arabella was hesitant to upset her brother but agreed to get her mother off the subject for the time being.

. . .

The search of the Willhoite's farm turned up nothing for them to identify Abigail. It did however provide a few items that they were able to sell to acquire information from the townsfolk. The first few people questioned didn't know who she was and they seemed to keep asking the wrong people. When they spent most of the day getting nowhere Gus was about to mount his horse to find lodging for the evening when he saw a boy helping a local business with its deliveries. He waved the boy down.

"Hey Kid!" Gus shouted at the boy.

Billy turned and noticed him. He stopped and awaited for the man to approach him. "Yes, sir?"

"Do you happen to make deliveries all over the village?"

"Yes, sir."

Gus smiled. This could be the person they were looking for. "Have you ever taken anything out to the Willhoite farm?"

Billy perked up at the mention of the Willhoite's. "Yes, sir."

"Well, I went out to the farm and Miss Willhoite wasn't there today. I was hoping to catch her in town, do you happen to know what she looks like?"

Billy beamed happy to be of some service to the newcomer in town. "She is this tall." He raised his hand a few inches shorter than himself. "Dark brown hair usually kept in a braid down her back, smokey grey eyes." Billy was wistful as he thought of Abigail.

"Thanks kid." Gus flips him a shrilling for his information. Billy cracked another smile at the man. "Thank you, sir." He pocketed it and hurried with the package he needed to deliver.

Gus mounted and headed to the pub where they were going to meet up with the information that they each collected. He noticed that their horses were all ready tethered outside so he was the last to show. Inside he motioned the keeper for a tankard of ale before he sat with the others. He pulled a chair up beside them and leaned back. "Well boys did you have any luck?" Gus was feeling pretty smug that he obtained the information that they needed.

William hung his head. He confessed he couldn't find someone that would give him the information. Jake on the other hand was able to obtain her basic features. With all the information that they accumulated they were able to form a good idea of what Abigail looks like to make sure that they got the right girl.

They celebrated with a few more drinks before heading in for the night. The next morning they would put their plan into action. The keep had given them a room to share for a decent price since William promised him they would be moving on in the morning.

He watched both men drawn themselves in ale as he sipped at his. He had to keep his wits about him. There was still a chance he wouldn't make it out of this alive. Tomorrow is a big day that they couldn't afford to mess up. He rubbed his neck he could almost feel the noose around it.

William stood and clapped both of them on the back. "It's a big day tomorrow, we should get some rest." He didn't wait for them to respond or follow him to their room. He hoped they would turn in as well for he didn't want to work with hungover fools in the morning. At least this time he got to choose the bed.

. . .

The evening dinner was called. Abigail had done a good job the rest of the day avoiding Matthew's family. It would be inevitable to do so now. She wanted to put a good foot forward so she dressed for such an occasion with the help of Edith. Her evening gown shimmered with deep red silk, trimmed with cream colored lace down the front of the bustle and across the caps of her sleeves. Her hair was coiffed with a few loose curls around her face. Edith added a few special touches with flowers from the garden in her hair as well.

Viewing herself in the mirror she looked like a different person. Someone she dreamed of and now she was really the lover of a Duke and lived at his country estate. She turned to the side and noticed the small flowers peeking through her hair.

"Do you think it might be a bit too much?" Abigail asked Edith as she continued to scrutinize herself.

"If the flowers are not to your liking, I can remove them." Edith came closer with her hand raised to start plucking them from her hair.

Abigail ducked moving back from Edith's hands. "No I meant everything. Don't you think it's all a bit much to eat a meal in?"

"Nonsense, you are with the Duke." Edith raised her chin, offended apparently. "He will expect nothing less." Edith grabbed a pearl necklace from the jewelry box in front of the mirror. Stepping behind Abigail she placed them on her neck as the finishing touch.

Abigail touched the cold stones. She smiled at Edith and took a deep breath. She hoped for the best as she headed for what she knew was going to be a rather unpleasant dinner.

She descended the stairs to find Stefan waiting patiently at the landing. She slowed unsure why he was just standing around. She supposed that she wasn't the last one to the dining room. He noticed her and beamed at her with such warmth it took her breath away. Stefan was such a handsome man. Wondering why he would make the journey here with three woman she concluded he may be married or interested in one of the Willhoite girls.

She reached the landing and he took her hand bringing it to his lips. He kissed the top of her hand, his eyes never leaving hers. She waited for the sparks to fly and her stomach to tighten in response but none came. She frowned at him.

"Did I do something to displease you, Miss Willhoite?" Stefan looked down at her. When he kissed women they never gave the look of being displeased with him for doing so. On the contrary they would beg for more.

"OH, goodness no." She did her best at laughing off the now awkward situation.

"Excellent! I must say you look most radiant." He took her hand and placed it in the crook of his arm. Her cheeks turned a beautiful shade of pink as they walked into the dining hall. Everyone was already seated. Matthew stood when they came in and was awestruck.

Stefan helped her in her chair to the right of Matthew then sat to her right. Abigail sat directly across from Matthews mother and two sisters. They were more plainly dressed. She looked down at her hands in her lap when a hand covered hers. She looked up into wonderful green eyes that were lit with a fire from within that only spoke to her. The feeling she thought she would have when Stefan kissed her hand shown up and made her squirm in her chair. How could he set her afire with just a look?

She pondered on that fact as the meal commenced. Small conversations started among the table, non included her. Picking at her food listening to each conversation. Matthew was having a discussion with Stefan in regards to horse breeding and current bloodlines that Stefan has recently acquired. Abigail had to lean back and eat for they were talking right through her. So intense was their conversation that she was quite invisible.

She watched as Anna talked in hushed tones to Clara. Whom ever so often caught her eye and quickly looked back at her plate. It was Anabella that decided to include her.

"Abigail, how did you meet my brother?" Anabella smiled sweetly towards her.

The whole table fell quiet waiting for Abigail to respond. Taken off guard she took a few seconds to think on the question.

"Well," she begun hesitantly. "I wasn't quite awake when we first meet." She sheepishly replied.

Stefan seemed to have choked on the piece of food he was eating. Both girls gasped out loud and stared at her with eyes as round as their plates. His mother looked as if she would faint. Matthew jumped at the chance to explain.

"It was when I was traveling through Kentmoor and Abigail was fishing on Mirror Lake when I witnessed her fall into the lake. My immediate response was to save her. When I pulled her from the lake she was unconscious." The sigh of relief from the table made him chuckle. "I took her to the local doctor and he tended to her. After he was finished and deemed it okay for her to return home, I found it my duty to escort her."

Anabelle clapped her hands together. "Oh, how romantic!"

Abigail laughed at the notion for it was anything but romantic. "He seemed to have left out the part where I lost my breakfast all over his shoes." She looked at Matthew with an apologetic air.

"She has yet to replace them." Matthew grinned back.

Their exchange was caught by everyone at the table. They could plainly see what was happening between them. Anabella needed no more encouragement.

"Clara, wouldn't it be something to have a man save us and we fall madly in love." Anabella carefully watched both Abigail and Matthew even though she addressed Clara. They both seemed to redden slightly.

Abigail tried to correct her. "We aren't---, To say we haven't---, that just isn't the case." Her face ten shades darker she stared at her plate hoping the floor would open up and swallow her whole.

"If that isn't your situation than what is?" Anna finally spoke up only to put both Matthew and Abigail on the spot. Everyone at the table looked at Anna in shock. Abigail was unsure of what to say so she wrung her hands under the table. She looked at Matthew and caught his glance before he looked back at his mother.

"Abigail is a good friend, mother." He said it with such conviction that she could almost say it didn't hurt that he only considered as a friend to his family. She understood that he couldn't tell them of their arrangement or show anything but a friendly relationship between them. She just had to quit hoping for more.

"She," Anna pointed at Abigail. "Is holding you back from your duties. You are here playing family with a poor farm girl." She spat the last part out hoping to wound her. "You will be leaving with us to return to London and continue your search for a SUITABLE wife." As if the subject was settled she continued eating.

The room was so quiet that every noise was magnified. Everyone afraid to say anything. Abigail watched Matthew as his mother belittled him in front of his family, friend and well, his mistress. His facial features hardened, as he continued to glare at his mother. She wondered if he was going to say anything when he finally responded.

"No."

He said it so quietly she was afraid she only thought it in her head. When no one made to have heard him he said it again louder.

"NO!"

He stood and banged his fists slamming them on the table rattling the china. All eyes turned on him. Waiting for some other sign of his destructive anger. Abigail looked around her not sure if she should be concerned or not. He had never raised his voice or showed any type of anger since she had known him. His mother didn't seem to be phased at his outburst. She was still eating as if he didn't exist.

He lowered his voice to a low growl as he said "I will not go back till I am ready. The marriage mart will still be there when I return."

Anna looked up from her plate into her sons eyes. "We will stay a fortnight. I expect you to be ready at that time." She stood from the table making Stefan jumped to his feet in haste. "I feel a headache coming on. I will retire for the rest of the evening in my room."

Without another word she left the table. Both girls concerned for their own seasons and their chances of meeting all marriageable men in London was vanishing before their very eyes. They leapt to their feet and proceeded to follow their mother pleading with her as they followed.

"But Mother, we couldn't possible stay that long." Clara pleaded, her voice ascending a few octaves as she continued. "We have promised certain social gatherings that we would attend."

Abigail was unable to hear a response from Anna for all three women continued on to their rooms. Leaving just the three of them to finish dinner. Matthew and Stefan sat back down to finish eating. After a few bites of food and a tense silence that followed Stefan was the first to break it with a low rumble from somewhere deep down that turned into out right laughter. She thought he might have gone mad if Matthew hadn't started himself. Unsure as to why they were both laughing for; to her this wasn't a laughing matter. She had officially decided that this was the weirdest dinner she had ever attended. Even though that only included the last two days but she was sure this one would even over shadow any in the future.

After a bit Stefan got a hold of himself enough to talk. "That seemed to go rather well."

"WELL? Were you at the same table with the rest of us? Surely you are jesting!"

Abigail was starting to believe that Stefan had gone quite mad. They both laughed again now Abigail felt that it was at her instead of any situation they just witnessed. She looked from one to the other and stood up slamming her hands against the table in frustration.

"If someone doesn't explain what is going on I will storm out of her as well?"

"No need to act in such haste." Stefan touched her elbow to motion her to sit back down.

"I only found it amusing that every dinner with the Weldrick's end up in some sort of argument that leads to one or more of them storming off. Ever since I have known Matthew I have only been witness to one family gathering that didn't end up the same way." He leaned in toward her and lowered his voice. "We all agree it was because his mother wasn't in attendance." He lifted his index finger over his lips as if he wanted her to keep that between them.

She giggled at him. He was such a contagious personality that one felt compelled to like him. She looked at Matthew and caught a fleeting look of anger towards them before he hid it behind his smile as she asked. "Is that true?"

He stroked his chin as if thinking back to the other times he shared a meal with his family. "It does seem that when we all come together we find ways to provoke one another."

"I think your mother took it a little farther than just ruffling some feathers tonight." Abigail wrung her hands under the table once more. "I'm afraid she doesn't approve of my presence here. I think I should leave." She stared at the empty chairs across from her afraid to look at Matthew.

Matthew grabbed her chin and forced her to look at him. "You will go when I say you can and not any sooner." His voice soft a vast contrast to his firm grip on her chin.

She stared into his golden flecked eyes and watched the lines on his face softened. He leaned in and kissed her with such gentleness that it stunned her. His kisses always possessed her with such passion but this kiss was different it was as if he did it because he cared for her. She melted into his hand. She shyly smiled at him as he leaned back into his chair.

"I will also retire for the night gentlemen." She stood to leave and both stood as well. Without meeting either of the men's gazes she hastily made her leave with a new found excitement in the pit of her stomach. She hoped with every breath she took that he was falling for her. She knew love was blossoming in her heart for him. She just needed to show him that he could love her in return. Tonight she would show him. Giddy with excitement she bounded up the stairs to her bedchamber.

. . .

Edith helped her get ready for Matthew. She confined to Edith of her plan at seduction. She was so excited to get her ready that she took longer than Abigail wanted but the results were perfect.

Her hair was down in shimmering cascading waves down her back.  Edith had a white silk chemise that made Abigail blush before even putting it on. The neckline plunged deep leaving a wide expanse of chest bare, the silk flowed down her body to end only a few inches from her knees. It clung to her skin as though it was trying to fuse itself to her. It would be something that one would wear on her wedding night. The thought of Matthew removing it from her body sent chills up her spine. When the clock chimed nine Abigail deemed it was time to enter Matthew bedchamber to wait for him. She was grateful that Edith gave her a robe to cover herself. Made of the same silky fabric as the chemise and trimmed with lace down its length that reached the floor and a small sash made of silk held it closed. She was a vision in white as she moved to her bedchamber door when Edith halted her.

"Miss Willhoite..."

Abigail stopped from opening her door and moving down the hall towards Matthew's. She had already told Edith that calling her that was just too formal but she assumed old habits do take time to rectify.

"Abigail." She corrected her. "Yes?"

"For discretion you should use the adjoining door, Miss" Edith motioned toward a part of the wall.

"Adjoining room?" She moved closer to it with a realization that it was a secret door within the wall covered by plaster and wallpaper to blend in. "Are you saying that his chambers are on the other side?" Matthew could have came into her room at any point. The thought made her stomach flutter.

"It is his bathing chamber that leads into his chambers. If you go this way no one will know you entered his chambers, it is for just that purpose." Edith moved to open the door with a small latch hidden under the trim.

The door swung open to reveal a small room covered in small tile that continued halfway up the walls. A large claw foot tub was in the middle of the large room empty but the thought of warm water and a long soak sounded like heaven. Shaking herself of the notion she proceeded farther into the room the light from a small candle that perched on top of a washstand cast shadows over the few objects that rested on its surface. A mirror was above the washstand it helped push the light deeper into the room. A screen was on the other side of the tub in the far corner and another door directly across from hers which could only lead to his bedchamber. Edith wished her luck and winked at her before leaving out through her bedchamber. She waited to hear her door close behind her before she proceeded into his.

Left alone Abigail started to get nervous. What if she did everything wrong. Edith did give her a few tips on how to entice a man. Hoping to keep her courage to go through with it she slowly opened the door that lead to his chamber. The only light was from the fireplace that illuminated the room in a soft glow. She scanned the room for any signs of Matthew. When she was positive she was alone she entered and shut the door behind her.

She slowly walked around the room as she touched his possessions. Thinking of what kind of man he was. Selfless, kind, gentle but he was strong and stubborn to a fault. He was everything that she wanted and everything that she couldn't have. Maybe just maybe if he loved her he would make more of a promise than a contract. She knew he wanted her but that wasn't enough for her anymore, she needed to know he felt more. She wanted his love.

She stood by the fire when his chamber door opened and Matthew walked inside pausing as soon as his eyes laid upon her. He turned sharply closing the door in what she assumed was Stefan for he told whoever was on the other side.

"Goodnight, We will speak in the morning."

Matthew turned back towards Abigail her cheeks had turned a dusty pink from almost being seen by Stefan. The thought vanished just as quickly as it came for the way Matthew was looking at her made all thought impossible. His eyes glittered in the firelight with desire. Remembering what Edith had told her she slowly slid the robe open revealing the short silk chemise underneath. The robe pooled at her feet. She stood in all her glory bathed in firelight. She was flushed from the intensity of the raw power of her attraction to him.

She watched his eyes widen and darken to deep gray pools of pure need and desire. She was becoming bolder as she hooked the edge of the chemise letting the gown fall away, revealing the naked glory of her flesh. The flickering of the fire gave her skin a soft satin glow.

Within seconds he was pressed up against her. It felt as if his hands were everywhere on her body. Stroking the flames to life within her. His blistering kiss was setting fire in her soul. She angled her head to deepen the kiss, she poured her heart into every bit of her body hoping he could feel it.

She whispered his name against his lips, she pressed closer, her hands pulled at his clothes ripping his shirt from his trousers. She slid her hands up under making contact with his skin her need for him blazed into an inferno.

Matthew grabbed the shirt and tore it off buttons and all. With trembling hands she reached for his trousers slowly working them down she followed them with her body till she was kneeling in front of him. His hardness sprang free straining upward between them. She was anxious about touching him but Edith instructed her of what to do. She touched him softly around his tip. He moaned his approval and she gripped him fully and marveled as he grew harder within her hand. She slid her hand up and down the length of him. His shaft jerked and jumped within her hand. His voice was thick with desire as he panted her name. She held him and knew her power over him. The thought made her smile wickedly.

Her hands left his cock to explore the rest of his body. As her hands reached his chest to his nipples, his hands gripped her behind, pulling her close. His arousal pressed into her belly. He picked her up against him as he suckled on her nipple. Heat pooled between her thighs. The need for him was overwhelming.

Matthew lowered her to the rug in front of the fireplace his mouth seeking hers as their limbs intertwined. She made a low, throaty sound of pleasure as his hands cupped her backside kneading her flesh. His hands worked a path around to her thighs as he spread them to settle between them. His erection teased her entrance, rubbing without entering. She arched up into him begging him to possess her. His mouth closed over her nipple while his fingers worked the other. He breath grew ragged as he had his way with her breasts. The tension built between her legs until she had to have him inside her. She said his name a plea that went unnoticed as he trailed kisses along her collarbone and up her neck. His hands replaced his lips on her breasts as he pinched her nipples between his fingers. The assault was almost too much. The tension was built between her thighs until she had to have him inside her.

"Matthew, Please..." She begged for more.

She could almost feel him smirk into her neck as he glided one hand down her body towards her apex. He cupped her feeling her wetness. Abigail bucked at his hand wanting more. She needed more. With one fluid motion he filled her. She was deliciously tight. She locked her legs around him, holding him captive to her lust as his hard, rough strokes rocked her body. She moaned, gasped, and withered wildly under him. His cock was ruthless, plowing into her, driving deep to her core. A scream of pleasure tore from her lips as her body went taut, every secret part of her crying out his name. His own release was violent and virile, leaving him gasping and spent on top of her.

They lay quietly panting in the aftermath of their lovemaking. Matthew laid upon his back on the rug with Abigail tucked within his arm, her head resting on his shoulder. Both content to be on the floor together neither one attempting to move to the bed.

Abigail played with his chest hair slowly running her hands through it. She couldn't remember a time when she was happier than she was now within Matthew's arms. So engrossed within her own thoughts that it startled her when he spoke.

"Do you like it here?"

The question caught her off guard and without thinking she replied. "I love being with you."

She wished she could have taken it back once it left her mouth but it was to late. He had rolled to his side to look down at her. Abigail knew she was blushing, it made it worse knowing she was naked. She covered her breasts with her arms. He noticed and scowled at her. Grabbing her arm he pinned it above her head towering over her.

"Never cover yourself while I am in your presence. I have a right to look upon you when it pleases me."

"I am not a possession for you to use when it pleases you!" She leaned up on her forearms and glared at him. "I am a person with feelings." She got up from the floor swiftly Matthew let her for she knew if he wanted to he could have kept her there. She grabbed her chemise from the floor slipping it on she made to reach for the robe when he blocked her from its reach.

He stood in front of her in all his naked glory for her to look upon unashamed. What did he have to be ashamed of he was a Duke with a body of a God. He watched her eyes move over his body and his eyes softened.

"I do not consider you a possession to control or use when I have need of you." He took a step closer towards her before continuing. " You have come to me both times we have made love. I haven't forced myself on you nor will I in the future." He was standing in front of her. He cupped her cheek stroking it with his thumb. "I love spending time with you too,"  her eyes lit up with hope,  "but we could never be together."

Abigail's heart constricted. He was still refusing to believe that they could be together as husband and wife. He had basically confessed that he cared for her more than he was willing to admit but something was standing in their way of true happiness. It was her. She held no title, no dowry, and she would never be accepted within his world. Even though deep down she knew he couldn't choose her she held out hope. Abigail closed her eyes and leaned into his hand. She nodded, she understood even though it hurt her.

"I will be with you till you no longer need me." She said utterly deflated. In her heart she would continue to love him as long as he would let her.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.1K 372 30
If you've been waiting for Garrett's and Frederica's story, here it is! Garrett has given up pining for his sister's best friend. He has political am...
Emily By Tori

Historical Fiction

260K 13.6K 25
*Book 2 in the Regency Series- can be read as a standalone.* Nathaniel Whitlock, Duke of Somerhall is used to debutantes who want him for nothing mo...
181K 15.5K 44
Eloise is desperate to take charge of her life after losing her parents and home, and after discovering her uncle's plans to marry her off to a man t...
358K 24.9K 33
With her reputation in tatters and a baby to look after, Catherine Balley is given a single chance at redemption: marry the man she once betrayed, a...