Drowning In Desire ***COMPLE...

By TracyRichards87

He saved her from drowning... Who will save her from him... Matthew Weldrick must marry and produce... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15

Chapter 8

5.8K 262 13
By TracyRichards87

William was once again crammed between Gus and Jake on the road during the wee hours of the day. With little sleep he felt quite put out of his current situation. He hoped that Jake was right and we should arrive at the girls destination by the late afternoon.

He squirmed on the saddle shifting his weight to relieve some of the pain from riding all day yesterday. It seemed to only make it worse and his temper. Which he had to keep in check so his escorts would believe he was cooperating. It was easier said than done, so he remained silent for most of the journey.

They reached Kentmoor after eight hours of riding and only one stop to water the horses or relieve oneself William was sure happy to get off the animal for good. They tethered their horses outside the local pub making their way inside all three of them stood out like a sore thumb. Making their way to an empty table all eyes were on them. William assumed they rarely got very many newcomers that stop in town when they could ride further on for another hour or so to a much bigger town. He felt if they came in separately much less attention would they have made. A serving wench was summoned by Gus and food and ale was ordered for each other them. Not much noise picked up as the minutes ticked by. William chalked it up to Jake flaring at anyone that had the nerve to stare in their general direction.

The wench brought their food and drink in post haste not lingering around to make any acquaintance with any one of them. Gus didn't take it to personal for she was a sickly looking girl with stringy hair and a poked marked face, a face only a mother could truly love. They ate quickly not out of necessity but they were so hungry from their travels it felt as if he could keep eating and still never get full. As William used the last bit of his bread to soak up the broth from his stew Gus removed himself from the party without a word moving to the bar. He spoke in hushed tones to the barkeep, after a few moments Gus returned with some good news.

"The keep knows of her. Says her farm is a mile outside of town."

Jake smashed his tankard down. "We got her!" He lowered his voice. "Bout bloody time, too."

They followed the directions the barkeep gave Gus and were there within the hour. They slowed as the farm came into view. On the way they came up with a plan. Gus continued on the road to the house while Jake and William veered off the road to await Gus and the girl.

They both watched from behind trees as Gus made his way up the drive to the Willhoite homestead. Dismounting he knocked on the door. When no answer came he knocked again. William started to panic. His palms became clammy and his brow glistened with sweat. What if Lord Septhon hired more than just the four men. She could already be in London spending his money. Yet he could do nothing but watch, for now.

A man walked out of the barn wiping his hands on a rag when he noticed Gus. They seemed to exchange a few words. The man pointed in the direction that they had been traveling. He watched Gus shake the man's hand and mounted back on his horse empty handed.

William surmised that they were just at the wrong house and hadn't made it far enough down the road to the Willhoites. The look on Gus's face when he stopped in front of them told him he assumed wrong. He didn't waste anytime in explaining the situation.

"She don't live here anymore." He gritted out of thin lips. Both men looked at him in shock.

"I hope to God he told you where she has gone!" William's face was red with pent up frustration.

"She has moved into Weldrick Hall with the Duke of Harrington. She is his mistress. That was one of his wards keeping watch over her property." He motioned with his thumb behind him towards the farm.

"Bloody Hell!" Jake yelled out in frustration as well.

"This changes things." Gus nodded toward Jake.

"Aye, it does!" Still frustrated with their current position his horse sidestepped in anxiety from his rider.

William was confused. "What does this change? She is still within our reach."

Jake turned his furious glare at William. "Everything , you daft cow! We are not getting paid enough to steal from a Duke."

William scoffed. "It is only his mistress of so recent that the townspeople still think she lives here."

"That will only make him come after us more for he won't have his fill of her yet. If she had been there for years I would agree the Duke would chalk it up as her leaving him for someone new. In our case it won't work." Gus interjected between them hoping William would come to his senses and leave the Willhoite girl alone.

It didn't work William would not give up on getting his fortune. Even if it meant to double cross a Duke, then so be it. Just he wasn't the one that would be doing the stealing if he could help it. An evil plot formed in his head that could save him and get him his fortune.

"I will give you my share of what Lord Septhon is paying us to bring her home if we continue on." He looked at both men hoping that they would take him on his first offer. As he feared they both laughed at him.

"Your cut is not worth getting hanged." Gus looked at Jake and they both burst out laughing again at Williams expense.

William tried not to take it personal since he didn't even know how much they were being paid in the first place. He needed to raise the stakes enough to make it worth it for them. Everyone had a price, he just had to find what their's was. With any funds at his current disposal he would have to use Lord Septhons money.

"Fine, you may have my share and I will pay you a thousand pounds on top of that." William tilting his head up proudly.

Jake's horse moved closer to William's. Both men sobering. "Ye, sayin' you have that kind of money on ya?"

Jake's Irish brawl became thick with keen interest. Gus moved to the other side of William. If he didn't feel threatened he sure did now.

He held up his hands to ward them both off.

"Not on my person. It is back at my bank in London. When we kidnap her and reach London I will take you there first before Lord Septhon and pay you myself." He could see that they both contemplated what he said. Jake spoke first.

"Two thousand plus your share from Lord Septhon."

William balked at the notion but thought better of it. For it didn't matter what they thought he was going to pay them. If his plan worked both would be in prison or better yet hanged. He nodded his acceptance and sealed it with a handshake.

"Good!" Gus bellowed. "We best be getting on our way. Hate to find she has buggered off with a different mate if we dally too long."

. . .

Weldrick Hall was a huge manor which wasn't a surprise since it was home to a Duke. Built in the Fifteenth century it stood strong and proud. A moot lead across the front of the property that lead to a natural spring in the back of the house. Much of the barbaric architect has been smoothed over the years with more modern choices and the grounds being turned into beautiful gardens.

The three men crouched in the surrounding woods that overlooked the front of the house. They discussed the details of what would be soon a kidnapping. As they looked on and watched the activity of the day they plotted out their plan. The sound of distance crunching of stone distracted them. A coach was slowly making its way up the drive. The coat of arms was to far for them to make out if it was the Duke of Harrington's coach returning or worse new guests arriving.

They watched as three women and a man were helped from the vehicle and entered Weldrick Hall. Unsure if they were the Duke and Abigail but having three women in the house would cause a problem. None of them knew what Abigail Willhoite looked like. The odds were stacked up against them.

"What we going to do now?" Gus looked at both of them concern distorted his face.

Jake shook his head still staring at the coach as it was taken to the livery. "Bloody hell." He whispered under his breath.

William sat back contemplating their next move. He wasn't going to have something like more than one woman stop him from reaching his goal. They would have to find a way to figure out which girl was Abigail. They all sat in silence both Jake and Gus watched William waiting for what to do next. William shot forward.

"By Golly, I got it! The townspeople know her. They should be able to describe her enough for us to pick the girl out of the crowd." He beamed with excitement. They will get her for sure now.

"What if they all look the same? They Duke might have a distinct preference in his women." Jake pointed out.

Her home might have a picture of her." Chimed Gus.
"Brilliant!" William smacked Gus on the back. "We will search the farm first."

They mounted their horses that were hiding among the brush further in the woods. They rode off towards the Willhoites farm.

. . .

Matthew was in his study when he was informed that his family had arrived. He wasn't surprised. Once they found out he fled from London to Weldrick Hall he knew they would follow him. He just hoped that they would have held off for the remainder of the season. He knew they would try to convince him to return to find a wife. After last night he wasn't so sure he wanted to continue the search.

Abigail was everything that he wanted in a spouse. Loving, brave, selfless and a spitfire in the bedroom. He smiled as he remembered each time they made love last night. When he thought he had enough of her his body seemed to have a mind of its own, keeping her up most of the night. She had slept in so he hadn't seen her yet today. He wouldn't mind if she slept the day away as long as she was ready for him when he came to his bedchamber tonight.

He could hear his family outside the study door which made his visions of Abigail vanish. The fact he had to deal with them put him in a sour mood. The door opened and they herded into the room like sheep all following directly behind his mother. It reminded him to talk to one of his ward's about missing livestock. He jotted the note down and looked up at his family. His sisters sat on the settee to warm themselves by the fire. His mother on the other hand was sitting across from him with her hands folded ever so nicely in her lap. Everything on the outside spoke of calmness but her hazel eyes glowed with a fire within that gave away her mood.

In the chair next to her was his best friend The Honorable Stefan Bennett, the son of Baron James Bennett. He didn't have to wait long to know why they had come. His mother let him have it.

"What do you think you are doing?" Anna Weldrick questioned her eldest. She didn't wait for an answer before continuing. "You are not doing your duty to your family. You run off to the country to hide from it." She took a breath to settle her nerves and to remain calm on the outside. Matthew opened his mouth as to respond but Anna held her hand up to silence him. "I only want to hear from you if you are going to apologize to your sisters and myself, with an agreement to return to London with us posthaste."

"Now let's hear him out." Stefan urged, shifting silently in his chair he seemed nervous to be in between mother and son. "There could be a good reason for his leaving in the middle of the season." He looked at Matthew in hopes that there was indeed a good reason.

"I do not have to explain my actions to you or anyone else." Matthew stood up from behind his desk towering over them. "Now you all may return to London on the morrow. I will return when I am done here, Mother." He gestured towards the door and what he saw standing in the doorway took him by surprise.

Abigail was standing barely in the room unnoticed by all. By the look of it she had heard their conversation for her eyes were round pools. Both his mother and his friend turned towards the door and noticed their intruder. They both stood up and turned towards her.

Anna turned on her son. "Will you introduce us to your friend?" Her voice dripped with sweetness.

Matthew motioned Abigail to come into the room for introductions. She hesitated only a second but moved to his side.

"Mother, may I present Abigail Willhoite. Abigail this is my mother, Dowager Anna Weldrick." Abigail curtsied and smiled her best and turned towards the gentlemen in the room.
"My friend The Honorable Stefan Bennett." Matthew continued.

Stefan took Abigail's hand and brought it up to his lips. He noticed how Matthew stiffened at his side and with a quick glance noticed a frown set up on Matthew's brow. He took note of this for later teasing. Both sisters moved from the settee to meet her. Matthew made the introductions quickly for he didn't need Abigail around those two.

"My sisters Lady Clare Weldrick and Miss Arabella Weldrick." Both girls smiled sweetly even though they looked as though they swallowed a canary. They looked at each other and smiled while Abigail curtsied before them. Matthew knew something was up between them. He would have to keep a close eye on those two.

At that moment, Phillip, Harry and Mary all collided together in the doorway. The look of stunned faces made Matthew chuckle to himself. He was having a good time shocking his family. He just hoped his mother could handle it. She looked quite startled.

"These are Abigail's siblings Phillip, Harry, and Mary." Each child came into the room and greeted each of them.

Anna turned towards her son. "Are they staying here as well?" She questioned.

Abigail leaned down and whispered to the three that they could leave. She stood straight and turned towards Anna squaring her shoulders she was ready to do battle if need be.

Matthew seen Abigail's change of demeanor and didn't know who to be worried about he needed to defuse the situation before it escalated.

"Yes, I have asked them to stay with me while I am here." Abigail looked her straight in the eye. Unwavering by the lady's hostility. " We are keeping him company."

"I see." Anne looked Abigail up and down as if she was making an inspection. She made no outward appearance if she was acceptable or not.

Matthew hoped she didn't understand the situation but she was a smart women. He just hoped she didn't mention it at a later time when they are alone. She was a soft spoken woman but she knew how to use her words to wound. He recently has been avoiding being in the same room for  very long for that very reason.

Before anymore awkwardness could take place Hattie showed up to take them to their rooms. He couldn't be more grateful for her perfect timing. They each filed out of the room as they came in. When the last one was out the door he could breathe easy. He noticed Abigail lingered a while longer before turning to leave as well. Grabbing her wrist he spun her into his arms.

"Where do you think you are going?"

Abigail melted in his arms. She remembered all the things he did to her body last night. Her face heated and her stomach clenched with need. She leaned into him pushing her breasts against his chest.

"I was going to talk to the kids since they were looking for me."

"They can wait a few moments longer." His hands were already roaming along her body stroking a fire in her blood. His mouth descended upon hers tasting her sweet nectar. It left them both breathless as he pulled away.

Abigail reluctantly pulled away from him. "I really should see to what they wanted."

"We will continue this later." He held tight to her until she agreed with a nod. She turned to leave, he swatted her backside. Abigail glared at him, but her smile gave away her true feelings. He gave her a devilish wink before she turned away. As she was walking out the door Stefan almost collided into her.

"My sincerest apologies Miss Willhoite." He held his hand over his heart bowing ever so slightly towards her.

"Quite alright." She nodded to him and slipped past him and out of both men's sight.

Stefan entered the study and shut the door behind him. They both returned to their prior seats after Matthew poured both of them a brandy. The room was silent, neither needing the other to speak. They have been friends for so long that they felt like brothers.

They had become best mates in college where they both would cause mischief and mayhem to pass the long study filled days. They always had each others back from day one when Matthew was caught playing a prank on a professor, Stefan intervened and somehow got him off the hook. They were best chaps ever since.

Matthew watched Stefan, he knew there was something on his mind he just wished he would say it and get it over with. Silenced stretched on for a few more moments before Matthew had had enough. "Go ahead, say what you came to say!" Matthew slammed down his glass on his desk.

Stefan grinned boyishly. "What makes you think I came to say anything?"

"Because I have known you long enough to know when you have something on your mind." Matthew leaned forward resting his forearms on his desk. "Lets have it."

Stefan set his glass down and settled deeper into the chair, relishing in the fact he was annoying his friend. He watched as Matthew's eyes narrowed on him before he gave in. "Is Miss Willhoite your mistress?"

"Yes."

Matthew was worried now. If Stefan was interested in Abigail he had better make the situation clear. He didn't want any chances for him to get the idea she was also available to him as well while he was here. Stefan had never blatantly stolen women from him but some have chosen him over Matthew. Where Matthew was handsome Stefan had a ruggedness that women seemed to prefer. Stefan didn't look like the normal aristocrat. His hair was longer than most men's reaching his shoulders in loose waves of a caramel blond color. He always seemed to favor a shadow of facial hair that never went away. His facial features were also a little crud but it only added to his appeal. A small scar ran across his upper lip making him look more like a pirate than a noble man. Which only seemed to drive the women closer than away.

Now he had him under his roof he was worried that Abigail might change her mind about their arrangement but he would put a stop to either party making any kind of advance. He leaned back in his chair. "Abigail has made an agreement with me for financial stability for her family."

Stefan raised an eyebrow at his friend. "So it's just a business deal?"

"To an extant." Matthew didn't elaborate.

"So you wouldn't mind if I had a taste of what she has to offer?" Stefan said it so casually as if he was asking for another shot of brandy.

This set off Matthew in a fit of rage. He would not allow him to tarnish Abigail anymore than he had already done. "You will keep your hands to yourself while you are under my roof." His voice dripped venom. "That includes all the women under my roof." Fire sparked in his green eyes.

"Your mother had no complaints last time." Stefan replied with a straight face. Until Matthew jumped from his chair and reached over the desk at him.

"Get OUT!" Bellowed Matthew as he still tried to reach Stefan's throat to strangle him.

Stefan knew when to make a quick exit. He hastily retreated down the hall to his rooms chuckling to himself for the good rib.

. . .

Abigail left the study and found the children in the kitchen with the cook. All three looked up from their pastries and smiled sheepishly. "Well, what is it you all wanted?" Hands on hips she looked all of them in the eye. "It better be important to barge into a room like that causing a scene."

Phillip finished his pastry first so he answered. "We were worried about you. We looked for you everywhere this morning when you weren't at breakfast."

"Why didn't you ask the Duke where I was?"

Phillip and Harry exchanged looks with each other. Phillip cleared his voice. "He wasn't at breakfast either."

Abigail's cheeks reddened. " I see." She nodded in understanding of their concern for her. "I am no worse that I was yesterday. I plan to be up to eat with you every morning."

The boys seemed to be happy with that answer and bounded off the stools and out the door. Abigail watched them leave as they both broke into a run. Assuming to race each other to the barn. Abigail smiled to herself as she watched. Mary must have finished her pastry for she was hugging on her leg.

"I was so scared, Abby." Mary's eyes welled up with tears.

Crouching down Abigail encircled her within her arms. "Why, dear?"

"I thought you had left us too." Mary sobbed into Abigail's shoulder. Abigail held her tight, blinking quickly to keep herself from crying. " I won't ever leave you, Mary."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

417K 25.1K 60
[The Inconvenient Matches series is comprised entirely of stand alone novels that can be read in any order] Forced into marriage by duty and obligati...
500K 22.1K 28
[COMPLETED] At the age of 15, Miss Charity Chadwick is tricked into marriage. Her new husband, unhappy with their union, banishes her to his north...
30.6K 949 43
BOOK I The King. No one knows his name nor seen his face. They call him cruel, frightening, and won't show his face to his people. Taking over his fa...
68.2K 3.3K 27
This story takes place in England, 1760, some years before lady Georgia sadly married Lord Walter Pearson at the young age of sixteen. Four years la...