Coming Home

Por CelesteABrook

[Small Town / Second Chance] When Jennifer heads back to her hometown after ten years to celebrate her grandm... Más

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41

Chapter 3

38.1K 1.3K 80
Por CelesteABrook

"Jennifer Firecracker Bloom." Joe squeezes my shoulder before going behind the bar to get himself a beer, too.

Sitting on the same stool I used to as a child, I'm hit by a wave of nostalgia. I'm transported to the days when Joe would tend to customers and help me with my homework. Matt went into the office in the back to do God knows what, so it's just me, Joe, and some customers I don't recognize.

"You're looking good, honey." He pats my hand once he's back, pulling me back from my thoughts as he takes a seat by my side.

"I finally made it!" I give him a watery smile. "I got a degree, a great job, my own place... I feel like I've finally made it, you know? Like I can finally look at myself in the mirror and be proud of myself." I bite my lips, desperately needing his approval.

"I'm proud of you, honey." He nods, his eyes studying me.

"I should've kept in contact more often, but..." I shake my head, embarrassed. Nothing can justify the fact of me not getting in touch with him regularly.

"You were protecting your heart. I get it. Your grandma gets it. It's all good." He holds both my hands, just like he used to do when I was younger and upset.

"I can't believe he bought the bar." I chuckle, blinking fast so I don't let the tears fall.

"Matt is nothing but persistent. He knew I'd need to retire someday and was there to make me an offer when the time arrived." Joe smiles.

"He loves this town more than anything." I take a sip of my beer, my eyes burning with resentment and tears.

"He needs the roots this place gives him... You have wings and were born to fly..." He squeezes my hands, his eyes filled with sadness.

"Well." I clear my throat. "It's over, anyway. It's been over for so long. I don't know why I'm bringing this up."

"Are you ready to go?" Matt comes back, interrupting us with a scowl on his face.

"Sure." I stand up to give Joe a hug. "I'm sorry for not being good at being in touch. I can't thank you enough for everything you've done for me."

"No apologies needed." He hugs me tightly, and this time I can't stop the tears from falling.

"You're messing with my makeup, old man." I slap his chest playfully before running my fingers below my eyes.

"Tell your grandmother I said hi. I'll stop by soon so we can all catch up," Joe says.

"Yes, please! I'd love that," I say.

Matt touches Joe's shoulder. "Anne will arrive soon and I'll be here before the night shift."

"I got it, kid." Jo lets out a burst of heartfelt laughter. "I've been doing it for forty years. Relax."

"Right." Matt smiles, and my heart skips a beat.

He had always been the most handsome boy in town, with his captivating smile and unruly dirty blond hair. But now, it's like he's even more attractive, more alluring. All his boyish features are gone. The roundness of his cheeks has been replaced with sharper lines. His hair is shorter and close to his nape. His honey-brown eyes are wiser and harder. Instead of rock band shirts and converses, he now sports button-up shirts rolled up to his elbows and expensive shoes.

"You done checking me out?" Matt smirks, and I hate when I feel myself blushing.

"Never imagined I'd see the day you'd get yourself a decent haircut." I grin, and it's his time to look a little flushed.

"Whatever." He rolls his eyes. "Let's get out of here."

*****

We drive in silence, the only sound being the wind blowing through the open windows and the soft hum of the engine. There is a strange blend of familiarity and awkwardness between us; a slight tension filling the air as we both hesitate to start a conversation. I won't lie and say I'm not curious to hear about what he's been up to, but I'm afraid to ask; to know.

At some point, he flicks on the radio, and the soothing sound of a slow-beat song drifts through the car. I can't recognize the singer, but the way she talks about finding love and being complete makes me wonder if he's still single; if he's in love with someone the way we were with each other all those years ago.

My heartbeat goes fast at the thought, the curiosity just unbearable. I'd often find myself scrolling through the search results after typing his name into Google. Way too many times, to be honest. But he's never popped up on any social media. And none of the information I got was one I didn't already have.

"Looks like not only your type of attire changed but also your taste for music," I say, turning to him.

He looks all shades of handsome as he lets out a reluctant smile. "You're one to say, miss expensive heels and tight perfect bun." He takes his eyes from the road for a second, to give me a once over.

The mocking tone in his voice makes me roll my eyes, yet I have to admit he is right. Back in the day, I used to wear my long curly hair down and my personal style of clothing usually consisted of light dresses in the summer and warm coats in the winter. I never had the money to splurge on fancy items, but it doesn't mean I never wanted to have nice things.

Unable to hide my smile, I raise my eyebrows. "How do you know my heels are expensive? You're into fashion now?"

"You've wanted a pair of those since you were fourteen." He shrugs, and my heart skips a beat.

"I can't believe you still remember it..."

"Yeah... Well, here we are." He pulls over in front of my grandma's ranch, and I need to take a deep breath.

Her two-story house, painted in a dazzling royal blue shade, is still standing strong, its color glowing in the bright sunlight. The trees that are situated around the area are incredibly tall, creating an awe-inspiring canopy. Her beloved flowers are vibrant and cheerful, giving the area a warm and inviting atmosphere. A lump of emotion rises in my throat as fond memories are brought to life. I can hardly believe it's been ten years since I last saw this place. It feels like it was just yesterday.

Mat turns off the ignition, and a tingle runs through me as I lock eyes with him. I'm trying to figure out what to say when I hear my grandmother's laughter. Throwing my door open, I feel a small chuckle escape my lips. Her lengthy locks of hair are untamed and dyed red this time, and her dark purple shirt has 'getting old is for sissies' printed in a striking, white font.

Yeah, nothing new there!

"My baby girl is finally home. I can't believe it." She comes rushing our way, her deep, joyous laughter ringing in our ears.

"Gran!" I met her halfway, feeling her arms wrap around my neck as I pull her into a hug.

"Thank you, Lord," she whispers.

"It's good to see too, gran." I smile.

"Oh, look at yourself so beautiful and polished."

"You are so biased..." I chuckle, my eyes rolling when she holds my hands away and whistles as she checks me in.

"And look who's also here." She turns to Matt to give him a hug, too. "Now that's a pleasant surprise..." Her eyes dart from him to me, a questioning look on her face.

"Uh, my car broke down on the road. I ended up running into him, and he offered me a ride." I look at her, my eyes pleading for her to drop it.

"Well, that's great. It's time you two put the past behind you." She links her arm with his.

"Of course." Matt smiles at her. "But I'm sure Jen is too busy living her city life to even think about me."

"Exactly." I narrow my eyes at him, but he just shrugs.

"You know, Matt. I'm throwing a party to celebrate my seventieth birthday in ten days. And you and your mama are invited, of course." She smiles at him, her eyes shining as she ignores my pointed look at her.

"Actually..." she keeps going, "I know you're busy and all with the bar and everything, but if you could help me with some of the preparations. You know, just some little things I need to be fixed around the place, and..."

"Gran, we can hire someone to do it." I try to sound firm because I know her too well. She has no shame.

"Oh, right." She gives me a small smile. "I'm just used to having to do it all by myself..."

And cue to the guilt trip.

"Of course, I can help you, Lola," Matt says, also ignoring me.

"Really, Matt. I can just pay someone to do it," I say, glaring at my grandmother, who is smiling sweetly at him.

"I've always been here for her." He shoots me an annoyed look. "Why would I change it now?"

"I can..."

"We all know you can, big shot girl." He lets out a frustrated sigh.

"Don't be a jerk," I murmur and he scoffs.

"Just make a list of things you want me to do, Lola. I'll stop by tomorrow morning to get it." He squeezes her hand and walks to his car.

"Bye, city girl." He gives me a mock salute before driving away.

"He's such a jerk..."

"He's still in love with you." Gran gives me a warm smile.

"What?" I gasp. "Didn't you just see that?"

"Let's get inside and talk over some coffee." She ushers me inside. "I baked you a cake."

"Don't go thinking I don't know what you're trying to do, or that you can buy me with cakes."

"Not even a chocolate cake?" She laughs.

"You're evil!"

_____

A/N: And who would say no to that, right? ;)

Thanks for reading! ❤️

Please don't forget to vote every time you hit a new chapter and to follow me here: celesteabrook for news and updates.

XOXO

Celeste

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

185K 7.7K 60
**This is an MMF love story** Sex and relationships don't interest Gemma--until she gives Tre a chance. One date with him makes her rethinking everyt...
27.6K 1.2K 31
~"When are you going to do what's best for you Sadie? All you ever do is what's best for Hallie and push your own wants and needs to the bottom of th...
1M 36.2K 42
"Forever was a simple promise before it became a difficult task" Your first love is always the hardest to let go of, which is why Delilah and Mason h...
19.4K 1.6K 40
**A Romance, Teen Fiction, and YA Featured Novel** Worlds collide when a formerly overweight teen befriends a blinded football player and is forced t...