Guardian Ravenfolk

By bloom_witch101

He scoured the night sky, black-tipped wings wide as a dark shadow, haloing the world beneath. The city's roo... More

Prologue
Chapter One-October
Chapter Two-Murder House
Chapter Three-Do Me A Favour
Chapter Four-Mountains
Chapter Five-Cold Feelings
Chapter Six-Ghosts
Chapter Seven-Red Eyes
Chapter Eight-Losing Focus

Dead To me

29 4 0
By bloom_witch101

Chapter Nine

After the Party

"Don't look now." Raven hissed into my ear and I whipped my head around.

"Wow it's like humans do the exact opposite of what you ask them not to do."

"I'm not human!" I muttered defensively and hugged my self as the wind caressed me violently. Swallowing a huge lump in my throat I watched as Raphael embraced Aleara; before I could look away he locked eyes with mine. 

  His emerald glare was like a deadbolt around my ankles, locking me in place. I felt my hair flutter across my cheeks, light as a feather.

I wasn't cold anymore. 

 I was hot all over. 

Faye and Raven paused too, folding their arms across their chests and side-eyeing each other.

This ain't gonna go well, Faye's expression seemed to say.

  A wave of awkwardness washed over me, as I stood there watching Raphael hold Aleara in his arms...not knowing whether to go over, turn around or pretend I hadn't seen them. Of course it was a bit too late for the latter option. Raphael ran a rough hand through his wavy locks, looking every bit as apologetic as I wanted him to. He motioned for me to come over, tilting his head slightly in my direction, while continuing to massage her shoulders.

It's not what you think I thought to myself.

Raven and Faye waved before walking in the opposite direction.

"We're gonna be at the bar." Raven muttered, her silky black hair flipping over her shoulder as she walked. 

  I nodded and began walking towards Raphael, knees shaky as my boots left footprints in the snow. Faye had chosen the most beautiful red boots for me. They hugged my feet tighter than socks and I adored the symbols lining the top layer. 

  Aleara looked marble-pale the closer I drew and that was how I knew something was wrong with her. She hardly acknowledged me but stared up at Raphael with her enchanting blue eyes. She looked frail-not like the strong She-Alpha I met when I first came to Wolvenpraire. 

  "Aleara...are you okay?" I breathed, narrowing my eyes. I shivered as the wind nipped at my cheeks. She cast her icy blue eyes on me but said not a word before turning back to Raphael. He patted her shoulder softly but something about it was off.

  "Hey Peyton. You look...stunning." He intoned and I felt my body grow warm despite the cold. 

"Thank Faye and Raven...it was their job, not mine." I mumbled, looking down. I was wearing a soft blue dress that hugged my body in all the right places. The material melted between my fingertips and the sequins glittered like a constellation. It was cut just above my knee followed by lilac leggings and then the red boots. I felt ethereal...especially after the glittery eye-shadow Raven had put over my eyes.

  I glanced up to see Raphael whisper something to Aleara, whose gaze was glued to his like an adoring puppy. I felt  very out of place, almost like I was intruding and began to take a couple steps backwards, feet crunching in the snow. 

  "I'll be with the girls...when you're finished." I said softly, breath leaving trails in the air. Raphael's eyes widened and he gaped for a second like he was going to ask me to wait, but he didn't. I could feel the eyes of everyone on me as I walked...I felt like such and outsider. Or maybe it was just my paranoia. 

  The bar was just a wooden, shack-like area with a couple lamp-lights  hung soft over head. Everyone was whispering over soft music, but somehow I couldn't make out what they were saying. On reaching Faye and Aleara I squeezed my body in between them, face drawn in a sulk.

  "Raphael's busy. With her." I pouted, and Faye giggled. 

"I'm sure he'll come round soon enough. Why don't we get you a drink?" she asked, honey-brown eyes sparkling.

I smiled in gratitude. A distraction would be nice. I looked up at the bartender in time to see a familiar grin and silky black hair. He was dressed in all-white and looked sharp as a knife...and clearly not freezing in his lack of attire.

  "Damn mama you look gorgeous." he winked and I blushed for the second time that night.

"Thank-you," Raven quipped.

"I was talking to Peyton." He said, rolling his eyes at her.

"I think we all look gorgeous, but thank-you." I replied with a giggle. All the while I watched him pour an ancient looking bottle of wine into my glass. It was a dark amber color and I was already drunk off the smell.

 "What is this?" I muttered, glancing up at him in hesitation. He smirked.

"A wolvenpraire special. You'll be fiine. Just trust me." Faye looked like she was about to intervene, fingers dangerously close to pulling my glass away. The challenge was suddenly too tempting and I grabbed it quickly. 

"Peyton-not so fast-" Raven squealed, but she was too late, I had already downed about half the fiery liquid. Wincing, I put it back on the table with a clunk.

"What was in that again?" I asked, feeling a buzz already form around my head. Carlos looked slightly worried but hid it well.

"Uhh...so don't go anywhere too far. I prefer to have you here...you know on earth." 

Faye shook her head and sighed.

 "Don't worry we'll keep an eye on her...but that was hella stupid Carlos."

"She'll be fine, just don't tell Raph." He mumbled. I pouted, upset that they were talking about me like I wasn't there. Turning my back to them I watched as the wintry forest bed became more animated. People were emerging from everywhere in enchanting outfits. I saw an older lady in a silvery gown, soft like the full moon above, hand in hand with an older gentleman equally as well-dressed. She stepped delicately, like the floor was made of glass. 

Little children emerged as well, running wild beneath the pale gaze of the moon.

 As guitarists began to strum, a melodic tune whistled through the air, followed by the sound of a flute. It had to be the most beautiful music I had ever heard. 

"...only one drink, she'll be fine." Carlos was saying, when I began to pay attention to them again.

"Can we dance? Please?"  I begged, glancing up at Faye. Her eyes widened but then her lips curved into a smile. 

"Totally!" Grabbing my hand she pulled me off the stool, into the middle of the floor. Raven groaned but followed close behind. Pulled into a thick group of people, I watched as the warm lights took on an electric glow and the bass of the musicians increased.

 "Can you even dance, Peyton?" Faye teased, twirling her hips. Raven grabbed my other hand, pulling me away from her. 

"Don't mind her, I'll teach you." she giggled, placing her hands on my waist and shaking her shoulders. I giggled. I felt like everyone's eyes were on us but I didn't care. Raven's ebony-black locks slapped me in the face as she twirled, her pale-beige dress glittering under the moonlight. Faye took my other hand and twirled me in the other direction as the pace of the music grew faster.

  Suddenly, everyone around me was dancing. 

  Immersing myself in the music, my eyes fluttered closed after awhile. I was grateful for the damp sweat forming around my forehead as my movements made me warmer. I could feel the girls' bodies slick against mine as we moved and their shoulders glinted.  Vision growing hazy, I opened my eyes to see a familiar dark-haired boy in a leather jacket making his way towards me.  Faye and Raven weren't paying attention to me any more, too caught up in the music and dancing with each other.

Filtering through the crowd, we started making our way towards each other. I stumbled a bit, slightly off balance as  Raphael made his way towards me. His white shirt looked so...soft. 

  Suddenly his warms hands were around mine, catching me before I fell. Falling into his warm chest I wrinkled my nose. He smelled...different. Raphael was wearing something else clearly...gone was his musky scent, replaced with something like jasmine. Yet it was so familiar...sickeningly familiar. 

He grasped a tendril of my hair and I parted my lips slowly.

  "Ra-Raphael...how's ...how's Aleara?" I slurred, vision going in and out. His black eyes glinted.

"Peyton Clarke...are you drunk?" he mused, words more succinct than they normally are. An amused glint entered  his eyes. 

"I-I don't know...I've never been drunk before." I answered innocently. he smirked.

"Do you know who you're talking to?" he quipped, eyebrows drawn high. Confusion furrowed my brows.

"Raphael...what are you talking about?" suddenly drowsy I wrapped my arms around his waist and laid my head on his shoulder. He moved his fingers through my hair.

"Come with me...I'll sober you up." he whispered into my ears.

"Okay." I breathed, not really caring where he took me, just wanting to be with him. Memories flashed through my mind of the time we spent in the cave before coming here. I think that was the most intimate I had ever been with him. My shoulders grew warm as I allowed him to lead me through the trail of people towards a swarm of evergreen trees. I watched the roots rival each other in a fierce battle. If I wasn't careful I could trip over them.

"What is the winter solstice festival for?" I asked when we were a bit farther away from everyone and their voices were a murmur instead of a loud combustion. He regarded me carefully.

 "They didn't tell you? It is to celebrate the peak of winter. Days are at their shortest and nights....nights are longer. It is also a celebration of the cosmos and balance...and the beginning of a new cycle." 

 We came to a clearing in the middle of the forest. My knees felt slightly weak, so I held onto his shoulder. He turned to look at me and my senses became overloaded with his jasmine scent. 

Emily-Rose

  "Em-I-I can't believe I'm seeing you again. You're going to be okay. You're going to be okay, I promise." 

  Shuddering, I wiped Matt's salty tears away from his face. His body heat made me feel so safe. Even though I couldn't feel his warmth its familiarity made me want to curl up in his arms forever. 

but I couldn't, and I knew that.

   His eyes were watering as he spoke. I glanced around at the darkness around us, wondering if there was anyone lurking in the bushes, listening to our conversation. Lips trembling I traced the outline of his jaw with my fingers. I could hear his blood pulsing in his veins. I could smell the sweetness of it. My stomach rumbled with a deep hunger. It was so powerful I had to close my eyes in order to focus. 

  "I don't understand," he whispered. I looked him in the eyes, so scared he would hate me after I told him...what I was. 

  "Matt...its not safe to be around me. I'm...I'm a vampyre now. " I breathed soft. I tensed for his reaction. His heartbeat jumped in fear. I trembled in his arms. Matt gaped at me, gaze running over my body.

  "What....no...that's impossible..." he gasped but his grip on my shoulders tightened. 

  "No...no I am. Justin...he found me in an alleyway the night...he killed me and then...he buried me alive. . .for months." I spat, words swimming with venom. Tears involuntarily leaked down my eyelids. Matt's brown eyes were full of questions, illuminated by the orange street light a few feet away. 

    "I know you and Peyton visited me everyday. I heard you. I heard you. It's okay. It helped me so much." I soothed him as he nestled his face into my shoulder, body vibrating. His tears were soaking my thin cotton blouse. Pulling away from him, I wiped my tears away and looked him directly in the eye.

  "Listen to me...we don't have much time. I'm not just any vampyre. I'm something he's calling raven folk...I-I it's different. They were created using sacrificial magic... and those murders? All over town? Peyton's parents....the church...they weren't just to spite her. It was all part of some ritual to make me...and God knows how many more kids...into these things." I sputtered, hoping he would make sense of my words. 

  "What? How?" Matt sputtered, still embracing me. 

 "Claire...isn't just a vampire. She's a witch. Or she has Celtic ancestry that allows her to use magic. She's like Angela. I think Justin has power over her as he sired her to him. Like-like I am. Stay away from her...please." I begged.  Something unreadable flashed in Matt's eyes.

  "Where's Peyton? We have to warn her....she only has five days to sign the stupid contract or Justin...he's going to unleash his army on Worchester Heights." Matt grimaced at my words, the wheels spinning in his mind.

 "Why five days? That's no time at all...Peyton isn't here...and she hasn't been answering her phone. The only way I can get through to her is by going to Ayora." Matt breathed. My brows wrinkled in confusion. 

  "What do you mean she isn't here? She left you...alone?"  

Matt sighed.

  "I think she thought she was protecting us...by leaving hopefully Brustarios would leave us alone. She's in Wolvenpraire."

  "Okay...just promise me you'll be safe." I whispered, ears still perked for anyone who may be listening to us in the background. Matt's eyes softened.

  "What about you?"

 "Everything is different now...I am sired to Justin. I have to do what he says. Unless...you and Angela can think of a way to make me unsired but...I don't want you caught up in this mess. Just promise me you'll warn Peyton."

"I promise." He breathed, eyes swimming with that same unreadable emotion. I looked away from him, trying to distract myself from the sound of his blood pulsing. 

 Voice on the verge of breaking, I parted my lips slowly.

  "Matt...do you hate me?" 

He engulfed me in a hug, squeezing me tight. I stiffened, inhaling his coppery scent. My vision was beginning to tinge red. 

"I could never hate you." He cried. 

Abrupt, I pulled away, eyes darting to the trees and leaves.

  "You have to go." I insisted. There was a burning at the back of my throat.

"Em-" the way he said my name Em. I hadn't heard it in so long.

"Please Matt. Don't let me hurt you...I-I'm not fully in control of these feelings. Everything is so new." 

Matt's eyes darkened.

"I won't leave you...I know you won't hurt me." he countered. 

Thump, thump, thump.

  The blood pulsing in his veins was a captivating bass beat I couldn't help but listen to. My body trembled and I felt the piercing pain of having tiny incisors prickle from the top corners of my gums. I twisted my hands into fists, body trembling. 

"I'm not so sure. Matt go!" I yelled in rage. 

I would never forget the hurt in his eyes.

Peyton

     There was something about the grin in his cheeks and the glint in his eyes that alerted me.

Something was off. 

  My heart beat faster as we stood in the clearing, arms prickling with goosebumps. When we left the cabins Raven told me the weather would be minus four degrees. Of course they wouldn't feel it...but now? I felt it. I felt it when he looked me in the eye, and I stared back into unfathomable pools of darkness. 

He circled me, building pinpricks of icicles along the edge of my spine. My head still felt slightly woozy, and we weren't that far away that we couldn't hear the sounds of the festivals. My vision darted around-from the dried dirt of the forest bed, to the spiraling canopy of trees above us, which, now in the winter were merely dried branches...thick, heavy branches spiraling into each other like a web. I could make out little stars between them. 

  "Are you cold?" 

His question put me off, and I stared back blankly.

"You can stop pretending to be Raphael now...I'm not that drunk." I snapped, words slightly slurred. My feet felt weak beneath me. He smirked, and I followed the curve of his lips. They were so alike, and yet, not. 

  "Then how foolish of you...to follow me out here...alone." His voice dropped a few octaves and I felt shudders. Squaring my shoulders, I stared straight ahead, not wanting him to know I was afraid.

  "Did I ever have a choice? " I spat, brows furrowing in confusion as I watched him shrug his jacket off...before putting it around my shoulders.  I welcomed the warmth, though I hated that it was coming from him. 

"Why are you doing this? He's your brother..they're your family." I sputtered, searching for some humanity in his eyes. Even then I knew it was in vain. With an ache in my chest I remembered that this was the man who had killed my parents. His smirk dropped, replaced by a hard line in his face.

"You've heard Raphael's story. Maybe its time you heard mine. " 

  Against my better judgment, something compelled me to follow Brustarios further into the dark depths of Deregu forest.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14K 511 64
Isabella Harper, a nineteen-year-old, lost her color vision after her sister's suicide. She shut down herself from everyone and remained in her world...
746 236 17
"'I tell the stars about you' Ashlynn broke the silence after they had both been staring at the sky for an ungodly amount of time." Nothing has ever...
562 32 20
I have one job... Keep Kerry safe. She's in the hospital, so I guess that makes me a crappy guardian angel. It is supposed to be simple. Kerry is my...
317 13 16
***"Scream if you find anything" He says "I have my- "I begin to say realizing my gun was no longer with me. "Yeah I took your gun when we came here"...