To Heal a Heart

By Courtsalourts

Kristi Garrett has just finished training to become a nurse when tragedy strikes. When a handsome stranger of... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11

Chapter 9

1.6K 118 27
By Courtsalourts

Wade walked through the wide double-doored entry of Orson's Livery. Kristi straightened her slumped shoulders and marched in after him. He waited by a door at the back of the barn,, motioning for her to follow. 

The familiar smell of horses assaulted her nose as she passed through the building. It was as clean as one could expect from a livery, and the horses looked well taken care of.

"Ollie!" Wade called loudly as he passed through the door, "Ollie, where are you?"

Kristi followed Wade outside. There were two corrals attached to the barn, one on either side of the door.  Three horses were in the one to the right, and one to the left.

"Ollie!" Wade called once more.

A low, gravelly, aged voice sounded from inside, "Shut yer face, I'm here!"

The owner of the voice, whom Kristi guessed was Ollie, came through the back door. He walked with a hitch in his gait and wore a scowl on his grizzled, tanned face. He mumbled something about waking the dead. He stopped short when he caught sight of Wade, his bushy white eyebrows that matched his unkempt hair, lifted and his frown was replaced by an almost toothless smile. He let out a loud cackle.

"Well! If it ain't Mr. Wade Collins hisself."

Wade grinned, the affection between the two of them clearly displayed. "Hi, Ollie."

"It's about time you showed up, me an' poor Beau were startin' to think you decided to move to the big city and forgot about us."

"Never," Wade said, the smile still on his face, "I couldn't leave my two best friends, even for the city. But, I did bring someone back."

He took Kristi's hand and presented her to Ollie.

"Ollie, this is Miss Kristine Garrett. Kristi, this is Oliver Orson, the owner of the livery stable. He taught me everything I know about horses."

"And precious little it is at that," Ollie quipped before wiping his hand on his overalls and offering it to her. "Pleased to meet you Little Miss."

Kristi took his hand. His teasing and kind grandfatherly looks reminded her of Dr. Gage. "I assure you the pleasure is all mine, Mr. Orson."

Ollie blushed slightly and gave a sheepish grin. Then, to cover his softheartedness, he grumbled, "That's enough Orson business, I go by Ollie to everyone round here, and now to you too."

Kristi couldn't help but smile.

Ollie turned back to Wade who was grinning like an idiot. "I s'pose you'll be wantin' Beau now?"

"yeah, I'll be taking him, and I'll also be needing a horse for Kristi. Let her pick one and charge it's price to the Double B."

Kristi looked at Wade in surprise, but he was focused on what Ollie was saying.

"Right, will do. She can pick from these ones here. Now you go and get Beau. He's been plumb lonesome for days."

"Thanks Ollie, I'll get him now."

Wade went into the barn and Ollie called after him, "He's in the last stable at the end."

He then turned to Kristi, and gestured to the three horses in the right hand corral, "Well, Little Miss, you heard him, take your pick."

Kristi went to the fence and leaned her elbows on the top rail. She surveyed the animals carefully. She wasn't thrilled at all by what she saw. One of the animals, a placid, thick set mare looked old enough to have ridden Noah's Ark. The other, a suspicious young filly, hardly looked trustworthy prancing about the corral as she was, and the last one seemed well enough, but altogether unimpressive.

Kristi took a step back, unenthused by the choices. As she turned to look at Ollie, she noticed the big buckskin in the other corral. She went closer and watched the horse who seemed just as curious about her as she was of him.

"What about this one?" she asked Ollie.

"That devil? No, Little Miss, you can't have him."

"Why ever not?" she asked, continuing to stare at the animal, "What is wrong with him?"

"What's wrong with him? Nothing except he's meaner than a rattlesnake with a toothache."

"This beautiful creature? Mean?"

Kristi watched the horse. His ears twitch forward, listening to their voices and he looked right at her. He swished the long black hairs of his tail at a couple pesky flies and took one step towards her.

Kristi shushed Ollie who was prattling on about the number of men this horse had thrown. "Where is his tack?" she asked, never taking her eyes off the buckskin.

Ollie made a noise of protest. Little Miss, I can't let you have Shotgun! Wade would kill me dead!"

Kristi looked at Ollie. "Shotgun?" she said with disgust, "What a horrible name, no wonder he acts up."

Ollie looked exasperated. Kristi changed her tactics. She put on her best pleading look. "Please Ollie? Please? Can I just try?"

She could see him wrestling with the decision in his mind. After a few moments, he gave up with a small growl. "Fine, it's your choice. I wash my hands of the whole matter. I'll be right back, but you keep out of that pen until I come back."

He went inside and Kristi turned her attention back to Shotgun. She pressed herself against the fence and put one of her hands through the rails, extending it, palm up, towards him. Shotgun moved with extreme caution, extending his head slowly as if his neck would stretch all the way across the corral.

Kristi spoke to him softly, using words of reassurance that she had heard her late Uncle Myles say to calm down any animal he was working on his farm. "Easy boy, it's okay, everything's fine."

Shotgun took his first step towards her with hesitancy and paused to judge its safety before taking another. He continued slowly but surely towards her. Kristi kept her hand extended, inviting him closer, never taking her eyes off him. He finally reached her and sniffed her hand experimentally.

Kristi moved her hand slowly to touch his nose. When he didn't shy away from her touch, she moved her hand higher, scratching his forehead and around his ears before smoothing her hand down the length of his neck. Shotgun moved closer, pushing his head over the top rail and snuffling against her clothes and hair. Kristi giggled when the short hairs around his mouth tickled her neck.

It was then that Ollie chose to interrupt. "I'll be," he said, the surprise colouring his voice. "I don't believe it. You went and made a pet out of the devil horse."

Ollie came towards them, carrying the riding gear. Kristi sensed Shotgun's uneasiness and told Ollie to stop when the horse began to pull away. She had Ollie set the saddle, blanket, and bridle down and then asked him to take a few steps back.

Shotgun relaxed once Ollie had moved to a safer distance. Kristi left his side to drag the tack to the  fence.

"He's been trained to a bridle and saddle hasn't he?"

"Course he has, that ain't the problem. It's a matter of getting a rider who can stay in that saddle that's the problem."

Kristi nodded. "Well, you've found her."She lifted the saddle and blanket onto the top rail. She then took the bridle to the corral gate. She lifted the rope loop from around the post that kept the gate secure and stepped through. After fixing the gate behind her, she turned to Shotgun. He watched her curiously. She showed him the bridle and began to talk softly again as she walked towards him.

She put the bridle up to his face and was pleasantly surprised when he took the bit on her first try without too much fuss. She buckled the straps by his ears and jaw. The saddle blanket was also taken well. He balked a little when she lifted the saddle with the stirrups flapping, but once she got it settled squarely on his back, he calmed.

As she was tightening the cinch, she heard hooves from the barn. Wade made a surprised noise, but Ollie shushed him quickly. Kristi finished with the cinch and let the stirrups drop back into their proper place. Then she turned around and faced the me.

Ollie's expression was one of bewilderment and wonder. It was obvious he had not expected Shotgun to behave in such a mannerly fashion. He grinned.

Wade's expression was not so pleasant. His face was a mixture of disbelief, anger, and concern. He was not smiling.

"What. Do you think. You are doing?"

Kristi frowned. "Isn't it obvious?" she asked matter-of-factly, "I'm saddling my horse."

"No," Wade stated, crossing his arms over his chest determinedly. The giant dappled grey gelding whose reins Wade held snorted and shook his head, as if taking his master's side on the matter.

 Kristi narrowed her gaze at Wade. "You said to choose a mount, and I have done so. The matter is settled."

"No," Wade said again, offering no reason or argument, refusing her choice and opinion firmly and completely uncompromisingly.

Kristi blew out her breath in an annoyed huff, beginning to feel irritated by the stubborn cowboy. If the situation with Shotgun was as she guessed, he most likely would not harm her, but first she would have to convince Wade to let her try. If she went on without his agreement, he would probably try to stop her physically which would be disastrous for her plan.

"What if I can prove it is safe?"

His expression changed slightly and Kristi could see she had caught his interest, but he did not answer. She took it as a sign of affirmation.

"Ollie? Has a woman ever attempted to ride Shotgun?" she asked, hoping his answer would be the one she expected.

Ollie rubbed a hand over his jaw thoughtfully, "I can't seem to recall a lady trying to handle that beast, nor a man that would let her try."

Kristi nodded, his answer giving more evidence to the credibility of her theory. She took a breath and stepped to Shotgun's side, glancing at Wade as she did so. He did not look happy. She grasped the reins and saddle horn with her left hand, positioning her right on the cantle. She was grateful for the fact that it was not a side saddle she was attempting to mount. She lifted her foot nervously to the stirrup, sending up a prayer that neither of the men would approach and startle Shotgun.

She swung up in one smooth motion as Uncle Myles had taught her so long ago. Shotgun stumbled slightly, unaccustomed to a rider. Kristi caught Ollie's worried look as she gained control of her reins. she patted Shotgun's neck reassuringly, whispering to him once again.

When Kristi was sure he was calm, she tested a few rein signals on him. He obeyed if somewhat delayed in his reaction. He had been trained, not exceptionally, but manage-ably. She took him around the pen, adjusting to the rhythm of his gait.

She was satisfied with his performance and felt confident in her ability to handle him; however, the decision still fell to Wade. His decision would be the final verdict. He was after all, the one responsible for the choice on behalf of his employer.

She brought Shotgun forward and dismounted. She could not read Wade's expression, but she hoped he would finally see reason.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry for the delay in putting up this chapter, but at least it's up now. This chapter is dedicated to @jesskula who has been hounding me to write it, don't smack me please? Anyway, comment, vote, or message me if you want. Thanks.

Enjoy

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

794 63 27
Cassidy Mitchell only has one year left of college left. She should know what she wants to do after graduation, but in reality, she has no idea. It i...
7.4K 266 14
Just a girl with a dream. A dream of becoming a horse trainer. Cassidy gets the chance of a lifetime and a cute cowboy named Colton to work with on B...
30.8K 701 23
she spent her whole life being told she was the reason her and her siblings grew up without a mother, therefore she grew up alone. She was much young...
11.2K 427 29
"He's my home, no matter where he is." - They say the harder you work, the luckier you get. Sometimes luck isn't good enough to count on. Sometimes y...