BOXER

By roselettes

in which a girl falls in love with an underground fighter. | © roselettes 2014 More

one
two
three
four
five
six
seven
eight
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
nice
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
WOW
twenty five

nine

23.5K 746 57
By roselettes

Hours later, Brielle found it hard to concentrate on the T.V. in front of her, which was not something that was usually not difficult for her. She couldn't stop thinking about Luke -- specifically the ex girlfriend he mentioned. She remembered him telling her about a friend who experienced the same thing as Brie but he never used the word girlfriend. And for some reason it was bothering the hell out of her.

Since Luke had invited her to his match, Brielle always was suspicious that Luke only took an interest to her out of sympathy. And she still felt that way. The main reason she gave him her number was to test this. It's not that she necessarily would've minded Luke's company anyway, although she didn't like the feeling that people were only pretending to like her because they felt bad for her.

Although, after today, the only feeling she felt was confused. And she didn't like that either.

On top of all of this, she also had something else to worry about. The next day was a very important day for Brielle and she wasn't even remotely ready.

Soon after she had returned home from the failure of the little get together between her and Luke, she received a call from an unfamiliar phone number. She almost didn't pick it up, but thank god she did as it was from the smoothie shop telling her she got the job.

\\

"Hello?" She hesitated, expecting some automated message to start playing.

"Uh, hey," The boy greeted, as if he was talking to a friend. "Is this the girl that stole the Chanel bag?"

"What? Who the hell is this?" Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion even though he couldn't see.

"Um, I'm Calum. I was just kidding about the uh, bag thing. Are you Brielle?"

"Yeah. Who's Calum?" 

"Oh, uh, sorry. I probably shouldn't have expected you to know me by my name," He chuckled, but just as when they first met in the smoothie shop, it didn't seem convincing. "I'm from Planet Smoothie. I was calling to let you know you got the job."

"Are you serious?

\\

She was surprised since it was only the next day, and well, she usually wasn't called back after applying anywhere.

But she was grateful, to say the least. Obviously, the pay wasn't going to be abundant, but this was an opportunity to make some money of her own and show her parents that she was capable of working. And so she didn't wanna fuck it up.  She didn't really have any reason to be nervous, but she couldn't help it. It was her first job and she wanted everything to go perfect.

They asked her to start the next day since one of their employees had quit and they could use an extra hand. This didn't help her nerves at all, since it didn't even give her a full day to prepare.

Thankfully, her phone rang a familiar tone which interrupted her thoughts. She glanced down at it to read Sam's name on the screen. She smiled a bit, knowing that Sam could probably calm her down. She hadn't talked to her for a while - well, it was only about 24 hours but that was an extremely long time to be without contact with each other, for them.

"Hiya, beb," She greeted her with the name they called each other frequently.

"Hey, where have you been?" Sam asked, and Brielle was a bit taken back by the demanding tone.

"What do you mean?"

"I came to your apartment last night but you weren't there." 

"Oh, I was with a friend. Didn't I tell you?" She questioned, referring to when Brielle had to decline plans with Sam to go to Luke's match.

"Yeah, but I came over at like 11. I thought you'd be home by then."

"Some stuff happened. I didn't realize I got home that late," Brielle confessed, realizing that this was going to bring up the subject of the fight. She didn't want to tell Sam about Luke until him and Brielle were more acquainted. Not only this, but Sam always assumed that Brielle was romantically involved with every guy she hung out with, and this was obviously not the case. Although if Sam were to find out that she was hanging out with some underground boxer, especially after the whole Tyler thing (even if the way Brie explained it to Sam wasn't the exact true story), she probably wouldn't be too pleased.

"Oh my god Brielle, did you-"

"Okay, I don't know what you're about to say but I can almost guarantee it's incorrect." She interrupted, knowing that Sam was going to make this conversation turn dirty.

Sam chuckled as well but it faded quickly. "But seriously, what the hell were you doing? And who is this friend you ditched me for? Since when do you have friends other than me?"

"Shh, we can talk about that later. I have good news," Brielle said, trying to steer the conversation away from this subject.

"Fine. What is it?"

"Did I tell you about the smoothie place I applied to?"

"I think so, I don't know. You've applied to a lot of places, to be honest," She remarked, and Brielle found herself being a bit offended.

"Okay, well I got the job," Brielle revealed as her face froze in place, waiting for Sam's reaction.

"Aw, really? That's awesome, beb!" Sam exclaimed, the pitch of her voice much higher than before.

Brielle smiled, but couldn't help but feel somewhat ashamed when she compared herself to Sam. She was much more...intellectually advanced than Brielle, even if it didn't seem that way. Sam took college courses when she was in high school and graduated high school with both a diploma and a college degree. And Sam used that college degree to get a job at one of the top hospitals in the area, and she wasn't even twenty yet.

Sam was always interested in a more standard jobs than Brielle was, like the medical field. Brielle didn't want to have a job where she went to the same place every day from nine to five, and that was one of the biggest issues of why she hadn't decided what she wanted to do with her life yet. Although, she was only nineteen and still had plenty of time left to make that decision. This smoothie shop would have to do until then. 

"I would come over to celebrate, but I got called into work. When do you start?"

"Tomorrow."

"Oh. Well, maybe I could take you out tomorrow night?"

"Um, I guess. I was kinda hoping you could come over now and help me calm down because I'm freaking out. But tomorrow's fine," Brielle stated, the sarcastic tone in her voice hard to hide.

"Brie, it's a smoothie shop. There's nothing to be worried about. You'll do great, I know it."

Brielle only sighed in response.

"You're great with people and you learn things pretty quickly. Don't be nervous, okay? And I'll take you out wherever you wanna go tomorrow," She added.

Brielle smiled at her friend's attempt to make her feel better. Of course she would've preferred to have Sam with her to help distract her from her worries, but she was technically an "adult" now and needed to deal with this herself. And Sam was right, there was nothing to be nervous about.

"Okay."

"Alright, I have to go. Love yooooouu," Sam said, dragging out the "you."

"Love you too," She replied, a small smile reappearing on her lips.

And with that, Sam hung up which left Brielle sitting in her living room (which was also her bedroom) with the faint sound of the T.V. the only sound being heard.

\\

Brielle muttered a number of swears as her alarm clock went off, interrupting the mere 4 hours of sleep she had gotten. She got immersed in a T.V. show and completely fucked herself when she decided to finish the whole series the night before her first day at work.

She remembered being so excited at the fact that she didn't have to wake up early after she graduated high school, yet here she was again. She winced in pain as she was blinded by the extremely bright light that was being emitted from her phone screen. 

It was almost inhuman how fast her body shot up once she read the time. She could've swore she set the alarm clock for much earlier.

It was 6:30 and Brielle had to be to the shop by 7. It was about a 15 minute drive, and that was without traffic. This left Brie with 10-15 minutes to get ready. She tossed her phone on the bed before throwing the covers off of her and jumping to her feet. 

Thankfully, she didn't have to worry about her clothing choice as they would just give her her work uniform when she got there. She quickly put on a pair of jeans that she probably should've washed first and a plain black t-shirt before rushing into her bathroom. 

Since she was never a fan of waking up in the morning, over the years, she taught herself to apply somewhat decent makeup in a limited amount of time.

Brielle took a step back to get a glance at herself in the mirror, and let out a huff of air as she realized the job she had done was going to have to do. She threw the eyeshadow palette she was currently holding onto the counter, not bothering to put it away. 

She reentered her living room, only to grab her phone off the bed and then quickly speed walk towards her front door. She started to open it, although was interrupted by her phone lighting up. She looked down at it to read a new message from Sam:

from: sammy: hi beb i love you don't be nervous you're gonna do fine!! don't forget about our plans tonight ;)

She smiled for the first time that morning before continuing her way to work.

\\

this passed 10k reads which is super duper cool thank u!!!! this is so short and rushed im sorry but i wanted to save her actual first day for next chapter ok 

& calum will finally ~officially~ come into the story fuck im excited i love calum goodby e

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.4K 318 27
When a girl falls in love with a boy that she doesn't mean to fall in love with
83.1K 1.3K 34
"We can't do this, she's my best friend!" "And she's my girlfriend...wanna make out?" in which a girl falls in love with her best friends boyfriend.
13.8K 157 23
the one where luke falls hopelessly in love with michael's little sister and will do anything to make sure he doesn't find out