Behind the Camera Lens [On Ho...

By minalovesmaine

Miranda Daly is in for the surprise of her life. She's your typical seventeen year old girl that likes photog... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine

Chapter Three

565 33 6
By minalovesmaine

4:05 P.M. Miranda’s House           

“Hey, are you ready to go yet?” Jaz called from the bottom of the staircase. We were getting ready to leave for the concert tonight.

            “Yeah, I’m coming!” I shouted back as I packed my camera into my case. After taking a quick glance into the mirror, I readjusted my top and tucked back a flyaway strand of hair.

            Once I was downstairs, Jaz said, “I am so excited for tonight. Have you seen the lead singer? He is so cute!!”

            I rolled my eyes and grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge in the kitchen. “We’re just there to take pictures, chill.” Jaz had always been more outgoing than me, while I was most comfortable in my shell. She was a fun person, and as for me, I just hoped I wasn’t that boring.

            “I know, but still…” she went on, “Does it ever dawn on you that we are probably the closest people to the band at the show?”

            I shrugged, even though I had to admit it was pretty cool. The loved being in the band’s presence sure, but I didn’t like to mentally think I was dating the band members. I know, it doesn’t seem typical for a teenage girl, but-it’s whatever. Jaz, on the other hand, well, she’s got different ideas about that.

            “Whatever, let’s get going so we don’t get trampled by all the people in line,” she made a beeline for the door. I followed her and locked it behind me.

            “You know, guys aren’t everything,” I told her. “You can’t go obsessing over them, it’s never worth it.”

            She didn’t say anything, just turned on the radio and acted as if nothing had happened.

            I sighed and opened my window a little bit. The sky was the prettiest blue today, and the sun was shining like a burning star despite the fifty degree weather. Sure, Washington state had plenty of natural beauty, but sometimes I just wanted to get away from it. I wanted to go somewhere I’d never been to before.

            We reached the venue within twenty minutes at four-thirty and the Brighter Lights van was already parked behind the building. The back was open and a few guys were unloading some of the equipment from there and also the trailer. There was a tiny parking space on the other side, and I wasn’t sure if we were going to fit. Thankfully, my Jetta gave way and we managed to squeeze in.

            “Yay, let’s go!” Jaz jumped out of my car gleefully and I followed behind her. We passed the van again and this time there were even more guys. I glanced over my shoulder quickly, only to make eye contact with one of them. He had light brown hair that casually swept over his tanned face and the prettiest pair of blue-green eyes I’d ever seen. I could feel my cheeks getting hot and turned away real fast. I felt like an idiot, I should’ve said something, or at least smiled. But, no. I was that somewhat strange, awkward girl that didn’t know what to do.

            “Looks like someone has a little crush,” Jaz nudged me on the shoulder. I was hoping she wouldn’t notice.

            “I don’t,” I chuckled. “He was just cute,” I admitted.

            “Uh-huh,” she winked at me.

            “What? Don’t embarrass me or I swear, I’ll-“

            She cut me off, “Don’t worry. I won’t this time. But if you two happen to cross paths again-which I’m sure you will, considering you’ll be only a few inches away from him,” she fake-coughed, “and no action happens, then I will have to step in.”

            “Oh, dear God,” I mumbled. She liked to set me up with guys, ever since I lost my last boyfriend about a year ago. She wasn’t a terrible match-maker or anything, I just wasn’t ready to start dating again.

            We finally sauntered inside the building and the guy at the ticket counter greeted us. He looked at least twenty years old and had short blonde hair. He asked if we were here to take pictures and we nodded.

            “What are your names?” he questioned.

            “I’m Jaz,” Jaz said.

            “And I’m Miranda,” I offered.

            “Great,” he reached behind the desk and grabbed two laminated press passes. “Here you go, ladies,” he handed one to each of us. “I think they are going to do sound check and then relax before the show. You’re welcome to go in, or leave and come back. Just be here thirty minutes before it starts.”

            “Okay, awesome,” we both chimed in.

            “We’ll go check out the stage and find out where the best angles are,” I decided.

            “It’s all yours,” he opened the door for us and we walked inside.

            “Wow,” the door closed behind us and I was mesmerized. “It’s actually bigger than I thought it would be,” I admitted.

            “Yeah, way bigger!” Jaz yelled and her voice echoed throughout.

            “Dang, this is insane,” I exclaimed and walked over to the stage which was partially set up with the equipment.

            I took out my camera and tested the buttons to make sure everything was working properly. I changed the settings so all my pictures would come out nicely even though it would be dark inside when the show started.

            “Hey, are you hungry?” Jaz asked me out of nowhere.

            “Yes, I’m starved.”

            “I can run down the corner and grab us some Chipotle, there’s still enough time. Or we could both go and sit down to eat.”

            “Yeah, I think I want to stay for a little bit longer; but you can go grab us a place to sit inside if you want. I’ll be there in like fifteen minutes.”

            “Okie dokie, can you set up my camera too? I want to set up beside the drummer so I can get some shots of the crowd, too. My stand is inside the case.”

            Good idea, I thought. “Sure. I’ll do it,” I took her camera case and set it on the edge of the stage next to mine.

            “See you in a little bit!” she exited out the same door and I assembled her camera stand on stage.

            “What do you think you’re doing?” a male voice behind me exclaimed.

            OH.

            “Um, nothing. I- I was just putting this together. I hope that’s okay, I didn’t mean to interrupt anything,” I stammered.

            The person revealed himself and I noticed it was the same guy from outside. “I was just kidding. I’m Wes,” he held out his hand.

            I shook it and added, “I’m Miranda.”

            “Nice to meet you,” he grinned and I noticed a little bit of a southern accent in his voice. It was a kind of unusual, but in a good way.

            “You too. Are you ready for the show tonight?” I tried to make casual conversation without looking like a complete idiot.

            “Yeah, yeah. I mean, I think it’s going to be good for a change. This is our first time playing here, actually,” he stated.

            “Oh, that’s so cool. You’re going to love it; the crowds are usually really pumped up. The last show I went to here was for Foster the People and you should’ve seen how many people were crowd surfing, it was insane. I mean-“ I stopped myself. “I promise I don’t talk this much, like ever. Sorry if I’m boring you, you’ve probably got much better things to do.”

            “No, not at all!” he reassured me. “It’s nice to talk to girls.”

            I couldn’t help but laugh. Who did this guy think he was?

            “That came out wrong,” there was a slight flush in his cheeks, “What I mean is girls that don’t go crazy within three seconds of meeting me. There’s too many of those,” he sighed.

            “I’m not like that, I promise. And I won’t be balling my eyes out or saying that I’ll marry you, either.”

            He laughed and said, “It’s completely ridiculous.”

            “Right?!” I agreed.

            The side door to the stage popped open and a guy with jet-black hair emerged. “Hey man, we need you to help haul some stuff on stage,” he ordered.

            “Alright, I’m on my way,” he replied reluctantly and the other guy went away. “It was really nice talking to you,” there was a look in his eyes as if he wanted to keep talking more, but  I didn’t let myself believe it. I doubted he wanted to stay here with me.

            “Yeah, you too. I better get going; my friend’s waiting for me,” I announced and said, “it’s okay if I leave our camera stuff in here, right?”

            “Of course. I’ll make sure the crew doesn’t touch it,” he promised.

            “Thanks, I’ll see you later,” we said our good-byes and I was off.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

219K 5.5K 41
When introverted Paige Lewis unexpectedly wins a radio contest, she didn't know she would be off to Florida for a week with confident Parker Collins...
370K 3K 37
[Book 1 in the Chaos series] The Theory of Kayden: - frontman of before the chaos - typical bad boy - grade a jackass - caffeine addict - my utter we...
2.7K 74 11
Jacky is just a normal fifteen-year-old girl until she meets Brian, who instantly falls in love with her. The only catch is that Brian is twenty-four...
1.5K 225 30
Stevie Jones was just going on with her life when her best friend proposed to her a new job opportunity as a photographer for a famous record company...