When the Contract Ends

By procrastiNATION99

*This book is terrible, read at your own risk.* Womanizing playboy Sebastian Hayes was in a bind, his grandfa... More

Cast List
Prologue
1. I Love You
2. Meeting the Family
3- Grandfather's Plan
4. The Wedding
5. Sydney
6. Phone Calls
7. Dreamhouse
8. After the Wedding
9. Landon Anderson
10. Temptations
11. Paisley's Return
12. Lunch with Landon?
13. Mistakes
14. No Hope
15. In Love
16. Fight With Landon and Paisley
17. Secret Operation with Sage
18. For you
19. Grandfather and Hospitals
20. Honesty and Surprises
22. Where Her Heart Belongs
23. Logan's Schemes
24. Long Talks
25. The House
26. After the Contract Ended
Epiloge
Another Epilogue

21. What Happened

12.4K 522 20
By procrastiNATION99

"Where are you going?" Mark comes up from behind me and grabs the back of my jacket. When I turn I notice that Harry and Charlie are right behind him.

"To sit with my grandfather."

"He's resting." My grandmother glares. "Leave him be."

My jaw clenched, I make my way to a chair in waiting room.

"Are you really going to just sit here?" Her cries tug at my heart.

"Grandmother, what do you want me to do?"

"Apologize!" She yells exasperatedly. "Beg for her forgiveness. That girl did nothing wrong."

I can't apologize, at least not right now. Not while I'm buzzed.

"Then go home." She tells me, seriously when I don't answer. "Until you do."

I try to force myself to laugh it off. "Grandmother."

"Sebastian." My father who has been silently sitting in the corner of the room stands. My mother sits next to holding his hand, showing her support. They both look full of disappointment and it makes me feel like shit.
So, in an effort to make myself feel a little less shitty, I tell Charlie to text me with updates before leaving.

Daniel is waiting for me outside of the hospital and he wordlessly opens the door.

"Penthouse."

No words are spoken as we drive to the penthouse. There doesn't need to be. We're both in mourning.

"Get some rest, boss." Are the only words spoken, just as I walk away from the car.

"I don't want a dang refund, I want the room I paid for." A tall blonde shouts at the pimply kid running the hotel desk. Her whole body seems to shake with furry as she holds the hand of the sandy-haired boy beside her.

"Kyle, what's wrong?" I ask, approaching the desk. The poor kid is new and doesn't need to be attacked his first month working.

"Nothing Mr. Hayes." He waves me off before turning back to the woman. "Ma'am, I apologize for the inconvenience."

The woman and I make eye contact for only a second before she looks away and I wish I'd never looked. If I hadn't I wouldn't have recognized her and if I hadn't recognized her this sharp feeling of guilt wouldn't be suddenly flooding through me.

"Brittney." She freezes but doesn't turn.

"I paid for a room." She tells Kyle. "I came here expecting a room and I will get a damn room."

"Kyle." A pull his attention to me silently commanding he tells me the situation.

"Miss. Rhodes here booked a room a few weeks ago," His voice shakes and little beads of sweat start to form just above his brows. "but the reservation must have been overlooked because the room is no longer available."

"Give her a different room." I tell him. "And put the charges on my tab."

"Unfortunately were completely booked." He says, wincing when Brittney opens her mouth.

An idea comes to mind and I know it won't atone for my sins but it may be a start.

"Follow me." I grab the suitcases behind her and start walking toward the elevator, not checking to see that she's following.

"Mom, who is he?" I don't look behind me when the young voice speaks.

"Just someone I knew before you were born."

"Oh." Is his only response before he changes the subject. "When can we meet dad?"

His question makes me turn just as the elevator doors open.

For the first time I get a good look at him. My stomach rolls when I realize hold old he looks. Just about nine. I'm instantly submerged into a sea of panic as I attempt to do mental math and try to remember back to almost ten years ago.

"You can stop freaking out." Brittany tells me, her tone clearly bored as she motions to the buttons in the elevator. "He's not yours."

When did they get on the elevator?

Clearing my throat I step in and try to smile.

"You may look a little different than the last time I saw you but you smell the same." She wrinkles her nose.

"That's not true, I use a different cologne now." Paisley bought me some Versace something or other for Christmas and it's all I wear now.

"A bar Sebastian, you smell like a bar."

"Oh." I frown as the elevator dings at the penthouse floor. "Well..." I start not knowing what to say. "Anyway, I practically live at the office so you and..." I pause realizing I don't even know the kid's name.

"I'm Logan." He grins at me, showing white but crooked teeth.

"Nice to meet you Logan." I shake his hand, smiling at him. "I'm Sebastian."

"Did you know my dad?" He asks me curiously. "Landon?"

My smile falls. Shit. A kid will ruin the wedding. The selfish part of me starts the question my concern. 'This is great', I can't help but think. 'No, it's not.' My subconscious tells me. 'Paisley is happy, this will ruin it.'

"Yes, I did, we were friends in college." I smile at Logan. "Brittney, can I talk to you?" I motion for the kitchen and start walking when she nods.

"Thank you for letting us stay Sebastian. It should just be for tonight." She starts but instead of responding a jump to what we really need to talk about.

"Why are you here, Brittney, in New York?"

"Logan turned nine a few months ago." She tells me, her green eyes full with sadness. "When I asked him what he wanted he said 'Can I meet dad now?' and set down a pile of tabloids." A tear slips from the corner of her eye. "He wants to meet his father and I have no right to keep him from that."

"I'm so sorry." I tell her honestly meaning it as she wipes away a tear. She gives me a questioning glance so I explain. "That day... I should have said no, I ruined your relationship with him."

She laughs lightly. "Our relationship was ruined before that." She says softly, a thoughtful look coving her face. "I'm sorry if you've carried guilt for ten years, but you had nothing to do with it."

It's my turn to be confused. "We had been fighting for so long." She starts, leaning against the counter. "I was pretty sure he was cheating although I couldn't prove it. And then I found out I was pregnant I asked about kids and that led to the biggest fight we'd ever had. I didn't want to be stuck in a relationship where all we do is fight and kids aren't even an option. So I made an incredibly dumb and just heartless decision."

"That enough heart to heart?" She chuckles when I don't respond, stuck trying to absorb information.

"You have to wait to go see Landon." I tell her, redirecting my mind. "He can't know about Logan yet."

"Why?" Curiosity takes over her tone.

"Did you know he's getting married?" The paling of her face makes it clear she didn't. "To my ex-wife."

She stutters our a few unintelligible things before sighing. "Wow." She blinks rapidly. "When?"

"Two weeks." Looking completely stupefied she rests against the counter again. "The thing is, if Paisley find out he has a son she'll call off the wedding." Brittney frowns and I realize she misunderstands what I'm saying about Paisley. "She'll feel like she's breaking up a family, the most important thing to her."

"You obliviously still love her." She states, matter-of-factly, her brows furrowed. "Why don't you want her to call it off?"

"Because she's happy, and I need to accept that." I say, more for myself than anything.

"I can't stay here for two weeks." She states. "I would get fired. And I can't afford to fly home and come back again."

I find it hard to understand she can't afford a second trip. She's a Rhodes. Her family may not be the wealthiest but they certainly have not known wanting...

As if reading my thoughts, Brittany continues. "I lost a prime catch and I got pregnant."

I nod in response. Unfortunately, disowning your child is a common for many family where old money is involved.  "I'll call your work and figure it out. The two of you can stay here." If anyone deserves anything, Paisley deserves to have a happy ending. I may not be able to give it to her, but I'll help her get it.

Brittney mumbles a quiet 'okay' before yawning.

"I'll show you to the guest room."

———

"What?" I accidentally tighten my tie a touch too much as I  take in the mess in my kitchen.

"I hope it was okay, Logan was hungry. I'll clean!" She adds quickly when I don't respond.

"Leave it." I tell her, walking to the fridge and writing a quick note on the magnetized notebook. "The maid should be here soon, she can take care of it."

"She came earlier but left while I was in the shower."

"Really?" I question. That doesn't sound like Mandy. The fifty-something woman usually makes sure to at least send a small greeting my way.

She starts to respond but is interrupted.

"Mom!" Logan yells, sounding like he's in pain, and both Brittney and I go running.

The living room tv is on and Logan stands in front of it.

"Billionaire Landon Michael says goodbye to bachelor life this weekend as he and fiancée Paisley Duke, previously Hayes, move wedding date."

"Logan," Brittney looks at her son who has tears in his eyes. "Honey, remember when I told you about dad, I said he and I wouldn't get to be together." The young boys tries to remain strong but it only last a few seconds before a dam bursts. "My baby boy." Brittney sighs, pulling Logan to her.

"No." He all but growls at her pulling away and running to the guest room.

"I guess we don't have to wait two weeks now."
Brittney sighs when the door slams. "Also, it wasn't the maid that stopped by earlier."

***

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

79K 2.7K 20
He is handsome and hot. She is pretty and cute. He is a billionaire. She is an orphan. He is arrogant, rude, jerk. She is humble and funny. He is the...
39.8K 1.1K 15
Sneak peek... "How much do you need?" I asked. "Five hundred," she said, averting her eyes away. "That's it? Five hundred dollars?" I asked. "Five hu...
5M 188K 101
Isabella needs a huge sum of money for her aged grandmother's surgery. She has nowhere to go for help and she decides to seek help from her Billionai...