My Little Demon

By Loveyourobsessions

"My problems shouldn't have a tail and horns!" Mae Johnson hasn't had a day without responsibility in years... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Like what you read?

Chapter 2

10 2 2
By Loveyourobsessions

With her parents close on her heels, Mae eagerly knocked on the door to Fale's lovely home. She played a tune with her knuckles; excitement powered every twist of the wrist. When the door opened, a tall man filled the doorway. Long, shaggy greying hair framed his lean face. His skin—calloused and raw from constant scratching—hid behind a bushy beard. The pleasant smell of slow roast chicken tumbled out to greet her. She couldn't help but lick her lips with anticipation.

"Hello, Mae. You're early," he said, his soothing voice wrapped around her like a blanket.

She gave a short nod, "you're saying that like it's a bad thing," she said, a playful hint jabbing at her tone.

"Oh no, not at all. It's always a pleasure to have you," He assured her before he stepped aside. "Ethan and Fale are upstairs."

With another nod, Mae walked into the house that may have well been her own. She could point out any crevice that lined the walls, or any possible defect within the furniture. She had spent most of her life here—she's the reason most of the furniture had imperfections, to begin with. Whenever they had the chance, the two girls created chaos that swept the finery of the lovely home. Beyond their rapture, their parents didn't enjoy the mayhem that was left in their wake. However, while the anger may linger, it never stained.

From the stories her mother would tell, Mae was well aware that she and Fale's mom have been close friends since high school. Just like their own friendship, the two were inseparable. Mae could easily say they haven't grown at heart; their childish tendencies only come to light when they stand side by side. They poked fun at recent events, gossiped, and acted like the responsibilities of life have washed away. Therefore when Mae was brought into this world, it was destiny that Fale was immediately alongside her. She truly felt like she understood the other inside and out. They developed their own references, their own mode of communication. Sometimes without a single word, Mae could communicate an entire idea to Fale. She was well aware of what it meant when she chewed at the ends of her hair, or, perhaps, when she wore a beanie around the end of the week. She knew that her lips curled when she lied, and how she avoided others when she didn't want to confront a problem.

They knew more than they should about each other.

Mae took a sharp turn and faced the stairs that curved to the right and disappeared above. Family portraits neatly covered the walls; they were happy and their smiles were captured in time. She ascended the stairs with haste before her parents could ask her for something. However, they seemed engrossed in a mindless chat about something or other. It was clear it would be a while before she was beckoned. She sauntered down the hall and approached the very room that has held many secrets. Its very walls held useless information about the endless amounts of crushes and problems both of them had.

"Fale," she sang and opened the door without an invitation. She expected to see her best friend idling about in dark sweatpants. Blankets propped around her, with the end of her pinkie finger in between her teeth. With her bra off, and slippers on, Mae could practically imagine her friend there, on the bed. A book about ghosts—or something bone-chilling that she would unquestionably bring up later just to frighten her—in her delicate hands. Instrumental music or, perhaps, the soundtrack from one of her favorite indie games playing quietly. However, that's not the scene Mae got. Instead, the bed was bare and books of all kinds lay untouched over the desk. An outfit folded and clean sat on the chair by the table. The room was shadowy, silk curtains danced to the outside wind in a desultory fashion.

"Fale?" Mae called again, in a loud fashion. Briskly, she retreated into the long hallway.

"In Ethan's room," came a distant reply.

Halfheartedly, she closed the door and trotted down the corridor. Once she reached the other bedroom, she knocked to include her presence.

"You don't need to knock, you know."

Inside, the room was much more organized than Fale's could ever be. A medium fish tank bubbled in the corner of the room. Exotic, colorful fish swam about the encasement to the content of their minds. Maps that charted the United States, the moon, and the world as a whole were tacked above a work desk. Hardcover college books neatly stacked on shelves. Two dully colored bean bags sat on the rug; her friend was currently occupying one of them. Her frail form lay across the seat in a carefree, unladylike manner. Ethan, Fale's older brother, sat crisscross on his small bed that was covered with numerous pillows. Like his sister, the boy's dark hair draped over his emerald eyes. He could easily be considered Mae's older brother, for they practically grew up side by side. They were close; however, it could never go against the ties that held her and Fale together.

"Hey," Ethan greeted, his deep voice flowed off his tongue like mulberry silk. "We were just talking about you."

Mae stepped into the room and quietly closed the door behind her. "I hope it's good," she replied, taking it upon herself to plop into the yellowish beanbag. It collapsed vaguely under her weight.

"Of course it is," said the male as he laid back into his throne of cushions.

"We were talking about high school is all," Fale chipped in.

"How you both are fresh meat now." He interrupted, "From the tippy top of the world to the very bottom of the food chain," He smirked as he deliberately pulled out the words 'top' and 'bottom'.

"Oh, right. That's a thing now," Mae groaned. She rolled her head on her shoulders. They were only two days into their summer vacation, she wished to enjoy the months ahead while it lasted. Not stain it with the forthcoming era. She didn't want to even think about getting devoured by the fangs of upperclassmen.

"It not the apocalypse, Mae," Ethan smiled at her fantod. "It's really not bad. You'll get used to it in no time. The used condoms left in the bathroom, bags of weed hidden in the bushes, the way the cafeteria food smells, the—"

"What?" Fale bleated. Her eyebrows were furrowed. He gave a chortle.

"You heard me. I ain't a liar."

"You are too," Fale asserted strongly, to which Ethan shook his head and uttered a tch.

"That's actually kinda gross," Mae muttered and kneaded her hands anxiously.

He shrugged nonchalantly. "It's like that sometimes. But as I said, you get used to it."

"You were nervous when you were starting high school too," she pointed out, "didn't Mom say you had nightmares?"

"I did not!"

"That's not what I was told," She leered.

Ethan rolled his eyes obstinately. With eyebrows furrowed, he turned his gaze to Mae. "Don't listen to her, she ain't got a clue what she's spouting on 'bout."

She didn't believe him, but she wasn't about to throw gasoline into the fire. Ethan didn't exactly fit the typical tough guy act. Nightmares oddly fit his character—not that she would openly say that around him. "Then what was it like for you?"

"I wouldn't say it's the end of the world like you're making it out to be," He stated, running his fingers through his hair. "It was still the same. It's school, there's only so much that can be made differently. But, some of my best memories are in high school. If you want good memories, don't continue being crabs in your little shells like you have been doing."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Fale arched an eyebrow.

He raised his hands, in a joking manner, like a soldier that just accepted defeat. "Nothing bad, I swear. Just... Live a little, ya know? Don't be that one Debbie downer that doesn't do "fun". Nobody wants to hang out with that guy. You don't have time to be shy anymore. It doesn't hurt to go to rallies, games, dances—yes, Fale that means you will have to wear a dress— or even bangin' parties. The parties are always fun to go too."

A chuckle fell from Mae's chapped lips, "is this encouragement to do the dirty, Ethan?"

"You didn't hear it from me," he stated absently, "but don't be getting preggers before you even graduate. I'll kill you. Promise me that, at least."

"Ew," Fale clicked her tongue in utter disgust, "such a role model you are."

"Oh, shut it."

Mae and Fale shared a glance. She hadn't considered what Ethan engaged in when he attended high school. He graduated two years ago when the two girls were in 6th grade. It felt so long ago. Now, he's taken courses at the local university. He was quite smart; she figured that's how he spent his time in school to make up for his lack of muscle. She didn't expect him to party, or, perhaps, hit it with the ladies like he had implied.

"Well, I promise. Sounds unpleasant anyway," Mae deadpanned. When the siblings looked her way, she immediately dropped her eyes to the ground. Ethan seemed satisfied with her distaste.

"What did you even do in high school?" Fale suddenly questioned. A crease in her brow.

"The usual guy stuff," he replied smugly.

"I thought nobody liked you," His sister said flatly, much to his dismay. Mae suppressed her giggle.

He scoffed, "Yo, cold. This isn't about me. Don't throw that ball at me. This is about you two being little high schoolers now," Ethan said hotly and folded his arms over his chest.

"Alright alright," Mae announced, and in the process, ended an argument before it could start. "Then what should we expect?" She asked with pure curiosity interlaced within her gentle tone.

"Well," He said after a considerably long moment of silence. "Rule number one: don't procrastinate. Don't do what I did. It is easier to get things done early then cram it all in the end. Really fucks with your sleep schedule."

"You always got things done on time, though," Argued Fale.

"That's not the point, Fale," He said with a sigh of irritation, "my precious sleep was put at risk. It was horrible getting through every requirement in just a day or so. Just trust me on that one. Do your work."

"That's easy," Mae, the one who always got her assignment done early, quipped with a proud smile. Fale rolled her eyes.

Ethan went on, "Rule number two: hide your gum. Especially from seniors."

"Really?" Mae raised an eyebrow in befuddlement. Doubt rode the tune of her voice.

"Oh, you'd be amazed. I'd run out so quickly, it was absurd. Everyone becomes your friend the moment you pull out a pack. Everyone wants a piece. I wouldn't be surprised if I wasted hundreds of dollars on stupid gum packets in those four freaking years. You see, for teenagers, gum is like what weed is to stoners." he sat up. "Rule number three: if you're at a party, no matter the party, don't leave your drink unattended. Alcohol or no alcohol, ya hear? I don't want to be the one pickin' your asses up."

"And the sky is blue, Ethan," Fale observed. He looked her way, an odd expression painted on his face. "What? Don't give me that look; I haven't done any of that nasty stuff. It's just something that happens in books all the time," She clarified with a nonchalant shrug.

"Let's keep that experience in the books, shall we? Getting drugged is no fun game," He declared sternly.

Mae nodded meekly while Fale simply voiced her agreement. She couldn't even envision herself in the life of a party, let alone one with alcohol and no parental watch. She'd be the odd one out, the girl shyly trying to disappear in the corner shadows. A fawn lost within a herd of loopy predators.

"Alright. When I was your age," he joked, snickering at his own comment—neither of the girls cracked a smile, "I didn't want to go to parties either."

"Right," Mae commented, "what got you to go then?"

"Friends mostly. I befriended a lot of bad influences. Plus, it was better than being home," Ethan ran his finger over his bottom lip.

"What about the teachers? Are they nice?" Mae said whilst deciding it was a nice time to change the subject. She absolutely did not want to hear Ethan going into the importance of protection during intimate hours. With all the stories she has listened too, parties usually lead to that one sex scene that causes parents to cover their children's eyes.

"It all depends on which teacher ya get. Some are real friendly, and then there are the asshats that give a lot of homework. It varies," The male answered.

"Who was your favorite teacher?"

"Mr. White was pretty chill. He teaches history. He won't mark you tardy if you give him a simple excuse. He treats us like adults. He liked me too so I got away with a lot of things," He said matter-of-factly.

Fale sat up in the seat, "What about your ex's? Will I be bumping into crazy o' Jessica?"

Mae remembered Jessica. In fact, it was nearly impossible to forget her and her vindictive acts. She sucked his money dry and constantly pressed for expensive jewelry or useless makeup. When she had acquired what she wanted, she was happy. However, if her needs were not properly met, the young adult would throw a fit. Whether it was public or not, the thought of embarrassment didn't affect her like it did Ethan. Although, while her displays of affection were often cloying, Jessica often threw nasty looks at Fale. She'd put herself in an invidious position.

"Well, no, she graduated with me. You might bump into a few people who know me. Everyone I was truly friends with has graduated when I did, or the year after." He paused. She looked happy with that information. "I wonder if any of the teachers remember me. I bet you, Miss. Allison does. She hated me."

"What did you do?" Mae relaxed her chin in her palm.

He stuck his hands in the air dramatically, "I don't know! That's the problem. I did absolutely nothing wrong. It's like she got one look at my face and thought I was one of her ex-husbands or something. Then, boom: I was her target for everything. She was constantly on my freaking tail, the old hag. I never caught a break."

"Wow. You have no luck with women," Mae said thoughtlessly.

"I know," He moaned and dropped his hands limply against the bed. "Don't follow my advice when it comes to romance."

The door suddenly creaked open, the unwelcomed squeal easily shut down their discussion. Fale's mother poked her head into the opening. Her translucent eyes filtered between the three of them. "What did I say about closing the door?" She asked with authority laced in her stern tone.

"Sorry, mum, won't happen again," Ethan sighed.

"It better not, I don't want to see it closed when there are girls in your room. But, it's dinner time, come join the family," She said, a smile drawn on her red-painted lips. She kindly waved at Mae before she slipped out of the room and left the adolescents alone. The fish tank bubbled quietly and kept the room from falling into complete silence. Fale dramatically rolled off the bean bag and onto the hard floor. Mae shuffled to her feet and brushed out her clothing.

Before they left, Mae wrapped her thin arms around Ethan and tucked her nose in the other's shoulder. He was taller than her, which allowed him to hold her comfortably. She felt his chest rumble as he admitted a small chuckle. He always gave the best hugs. The way his lean arms wrapped around her caused an irreplaceable sense of safety. He placed his chin on top of her head, a familiar gesture that she has come to like. The warmth of his body hugged her. She would sneak in one whenever she could, and luckily for her, he didn't seem to mind whatsoever. He would beam and return the loving hug without a single complaint.

"Come on," Fale mumbled and impatiently tugged on the sleeve of Mae's shirt.

"I'm coming, I'm coming," Mae replied with a smile and slipped from the males grasp. She, then, followed her friend. The hallway was dim, and shadows clouded thickly around them. The sun began to disappear behind the mountains that loomed outside the window at the end of the hall. Gentle rays of violet, red, orange, pink, and yellow set the stage for the sun's final debut of the day. Ethan silently slipped past them.

"Oh, wait," Fale said urgently and stopped where she stood. She had snagged Mae's wrist. "I have something for you."

Confusion bubbled up in her mind as her friend pulled her to the chambers of her bedroom. "Okay? Please don't give me another scary story. I won't read it," She implored as the other opened the door for a brief moment. Her still answer didn't help the ideas that aroused in her head.

She emerged from the room, a pair of folded garments in her grasp. Mae recognized the colors from the outfit on the chair. "Here, mum suggested that I give 'em to you instead of just throwing them out. They're nice." Fale handed over the remarkably soft fabrics. "I'm sorry, I love you and all, but you have a lousy fashion sense. So you can keep it, they don't fit me anymore."

"Oh," Mae deadpanned. "Thanks," She surely didn't expect clothes of all things. She suspected another hardcover book of sorts. The light fabric effortlessly sunk into the creases between her fingers. A smooth button pressed against her palm. She was well aware of her hideous sense of style and therefore couldn't argue with the truth.

"No problem. It would make a super cute first outfit," She replied with a smile.

"Right," Mae hugged the clothes against her chest. The two girls kicked up their feet and began to travel down the hallway. "Are you worried at all?" She asked; there was always time for questions.

"About going to high school?" Her companion asked.

"Mhm. You don't seem worried at all."

"I am a small, tiny bit," She admitted, "But I'm going to be with you. Hopefully, we'll have some classes together—that'd be cool."

"I hope so," Mae said through a sigh.

Fale nudged her as they turned and descended the series of stairs. Luckily, it wasn't strong enough to push her down the steps. "You'll be fine. Don't overwhelm that stupid brain of yours over it. You'll blow a fuse."

"I know I know," She said dismissively and breathed a wish; for nothing more but a good time in high school. She didn't want to participate in any drama or meaningless quarrels. Anything but a good time. It was a child's tale—wishing over something that lay in fate's hands—but she found that the word often dabbled on the tip of her tongue. She wished and wished like a hopeful child would on a memorable day.

"It will be fun. I'll make sure of it," Fale beamed and stepped into the dining room. She regained that childish air to her again.

"You always do," Mae smiled.

Upon their entry, the people that were crowded in seats turned to look their way. She could see the hunger swell their eyes like some sort of virus. The smell of chicken drove her stomach down endless hurdles, which vaguely reminded her of how much she loved the food that was cooked here.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

31.7K 2.5K 36
Hate, knowledge, loyalty, and love - everything has a price, but the highest is power. What would you pay? » ✦ « Jordan wished there was more to lif...
1.1M 39.1K 30
What if the Bible has it all wrong about the Anti-Christ? What if this person is female and what if she actually has a choice? Meet A.C. a.k.a An...
122 0 28
A female half-demon dragon, named Azwelitia, attends high school in the human world and is bullied by not only her fellow students, but by the facult...
144 29 11
Mae has a life. A good one. She has a best friend, and a nice job and a nice house and a nice car. But nice has never been enough, when she once had...