The Second Avatar

By KiraKisa

Being the second Avatar is not an easy job... Avatar Korra is now in Republic City with her best friend Yue... More

Book I Chapter I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
Book II Chapter I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
Book III Chapter I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
Book IV Chapter I
III
IV
V
VI
VII
VIII
IX
X
Epilogue

II

3.3K 64 6
By KiraKisa

"Is there a reason we are here?" I questioned Iroh quietly as we listened to Wu tell poor Mako about how his coronation would be. Poor Mika was standing next to them listening, and she was throwing us pleading glances.

"Because we're royalty?" Iroh asked. 

"And guess what pops out of 'em? Earthbender dames!" Wu said excitedly. "These gals start banging the boulders like drums and sing the song of my royal lineage. It's the most dynamite six-hour show you've ever seen in your life."

"If he calls my cousin a dame," Iroh threatened quietly. 

"Shouldn't you be getting ready to, I don't know- rule the whole nation?" Mako asked.

"Yes, isn't it challenging?" Mika asked, trying to help the poor boy. 

"Now, now, now. Don't get yourselves in a tizzy," Wu said. "I'll have ministers for all that."

"So he's a figurehead," I stated dully. 

"No sir, Mako. when we get to Ba Sing Se, it'll just be two kooky pals livin' the life!" Wu told Mako.

"Yay," Mako said sarcastically.

"About that," I said to Wu as I elbowed Iroh.

 "What?" Iroh asked and I glared at him. "Oh! Right, well, since Mako is one of our close friends, we really want him here for the wedding. We can't have it in the Earth Kingdom, for obvious reasons."

"And you are such nice royals that you want to make sure I am not delayed," Wu said.

"I don't think that's where he was going," Mako said as Mika sighed.

"I have no problem us delaying so we can attend your wedding," Wu said.

"That's not-" Iroh began nervously.

"Of course, you will need to accommodate me," Wu began. 

"What did you do?!" I demanded in a harsh whisper.

"I'm just going to go and meet up with my sister," Mika said nervously as I shot Iroh a murderous glare. "She should be coming in with Desna today." 

"We made sure to set the wedding when he wouldn't be able to come," I told Iroh quietly after Mika left, and as Wu started talking about how we would get married. 

"Getting excited for your big day?" President Raiko asked. 

"Does a platypus-bear poop in-" Wu began before shouting. "Hey! You can't put bleachers there! There won't be enough room for the dance of the badgermoles! Look, it's gonna go like this." 

"You sure that's the guy you want running the Earth Kingdom?" Mako asked, voicing my thoughts. 

"Trust me," Raiko said. "We'll be sending a delegation of experienced advisors to handle day-to-day governing."

"I mean, my grandfather had a team of advisors when he became Fire Lord," Iroh offered. 

"He has the Avatar and his uncle," I said dryly. "Not to mention Lady Emiko."

"I see the Prince is becoming accustomed to the burdens of leadership," Tenzin said in the same dry tone I had. 

"You know royals," Raiko said. "They love a ceremony."

Iroh shuddered next to me, "maybe in the Earth Kingdom. I think my grandmother just about lit someone on fire during the wedding ceremony, and she can only bend lightning."

"Have you received any word on the Avatar's location?" Raiko asked. 

"Not yet, but I have airbenders all over the World on the lookout for her," Tenzin said. 

"I hope they find her soon," I whispered.

"I'm concerned about reports I've heard regarding Kuvira's growing military," Tenzin said. "They say she's throwing some of her dissenters into prison camps."

"Well, she'll be stepping down tomorrow," Raiko said. "We can worry about correcting any of her mistakes after that."

"And you're not worried about her handing power over to Prince Wu?" Mako asked. 

"When Kuvira started cleaning up the Earth Kingdom, she knew her position wasn't permanent," Raiko said. "She gave me her word that she'd step down."

"Still, I'd feel a lot better if Korra were here," Tenzin said. 

"You and me both," I said as the prince continued to hum and do a few hip thrusts. Iroh covered my eyes, but not before I saw the poor cop in the background watching with concern.

~*~

Mika

"How are you feeling?" I asked my twin sister, Mari. Her husband, Desna held her hand tightly as she supported her back. "You look ready to pop."

"I wouldn't be surprised if I am having twins," Mari said with a heavy sigh. 

"Runs on both sides of the family," I said smiling.

"I just hope they're more like us," Mari said.

"I will admit," Desna began. "That my sister and I do tend to unsettle people." 

"Hello, Republic City!" We heard, and we all turned to see someone that Yue told me is Bolin, Mako's younger brother walk in. "Bolin is back!"

"He is loud?" I questioned. 

"Indeed," Desna said. 

"And Eska's also here," Bolin said, but it sounded like he had fear in his voice. 

Mari smirked, "this sounds like it'll be fun."

We walked over to Bolin, who was standing at attention, poor guy. "I see you have replaced me with a new girlfriend," Eska said. "Well done. She seems very threatening." 

"Oh," Bolin said awkwardly as he waved his arms around in a 'no' gesture. "No, no. That's Kuvira. She's kind of my boss."

"Boss. Girlfriend," Eska said. "Same thing."

"I'll say," Mari said laughing. 

"Um, who are you two?" Bolin asked nervously. 

"I'm Mika," I said politely before nodding at my sister. "This is my twin, Mari and I assume you already know her husband, Desna. We're cousins to General Iroh, Princess Yue's fiance."

"You're friends of Yue?" Bolin asked, after he got over his initial alarm of Mari being married to Desna. "Is she here?" 

"She's with Iroh and Mako," I explained. "Helping with the planning and such." 

"I'm afraid there's been a mistake, Your Eminence," a desk clerk said nervously. "We have you and your brother booked in the same room, with only one bed."

"It's no mistake," Eska said. "I am making sure that my niece is born healthy, I sleep in the tub."  

"That is my cue," Mari said as she followed her husband and sister in law. 

"You two are twins?" Bolin asked.

I sighed, "I know we are nothing alike."

"Are you married to a scary dude too?" Bolin asked.

I laughed, "not gonna happen." 

"So you're single?" Bolin asked curiously. 

I nodded, "I've been training with Katara in the Southern Water Tribe for the last six months. So, I haven't had time for that kind of thing." 

Bolin looked like he was going to ask a question, but then Mako walked in with Yue and Iroh trailing behind looking very annoyed. "Mika!" Yue said in relief, and Bolin turned to see his brother. 

"Bolin!" Mako called. I watched in amusement as the brother pretended to fight before embracing each other. "Look at you! My little brother got all important."

"I know, right?" Bolin asked smiling. "I see myself in the mirror sometimes, and I think I'm in trouble before I realize, it's only me."

"So," Mako began. "What's it like working for Kuvira? From what I've heard, she's pretty harsh."

"No! I-I mean, she can be tough, sure, but we're turning around the Earth Kingdom like you wouldn't believe," Bolin said. "You remember how bad grandma's neighborhood in Ba Sing Se was? All that's completely changed. I mean, we are really helping people. But what have you been up to? Fighting crime? Busting triads? Chasing the ladies, Mako style?"

"Well, I've been working for Wu," Mako said. 

"The kid got him as a bodyguard before I could pretend to need one," Yue said. 

"And uh," Mako said awkwardly as we all looked at Prince Wu. "Yeah..."

"So have you seen Korra yet?" Bolin asked. 

"No," Mako said. "She was supposed to come in with Tonraq."

"But she left the South Pole months ago," I explained. "She even sent us letters saying she had made it to Republic City." 

"No one knows where she is," Yue said nervously. 

"And you haven't heard from her?" Bolin asked Yue, looking very worried. 

Yue shook her head, "other than a few letters telling me she was going to come to Republic City with her dad. I haven't heard from her in over a month."

~*~

Yue

I sat in-between Mari and Tonraq on the stage as we witnessed Prince Wu's coronation. Lin was behind me, and Kuvira was sitting next to Tonraq. Iroh sat across from me next to his cousin and mother, with Lady Emiko on her right, and Lord Zuko and the far right and President Raiko with Tenzin on the far left. It was a very quiet ceremony, but seemed a good fit for the character of the Earth benders. 

"Now rise, Wu of the Hou-Ting Dynasty, King of all the Earth Lands, and glorious defender of Ba Sing Se," Gun announced as he put what looked like a broach onto Wu. The now King Wu stood up and faced the people. "Long may you reign."

There was polite applause all around as Wu came up to the microphone. "Thank you for that incredibly brief but very moving ceremony. I am touched by the love of my devoted countrymen who have worked so hard to restore their beloved leader to the throne. One of them deserves special attention. Kuvira? Rise."

I looked to the side as Kuvira stood up and Wu picked up a medal. "For your service to the realm, I would like to present you with the Kyoshi Medal of Freedom, our nation's highest honor, which was somehow not stolen, unlike the royal pinkie rings. Hmph." 

I raised an eyebrow at Iroh who looked concerned. I did not blame him, I did not trust what Kuvira was planning. "Thank you. And if you don't mind, I'd like to say a few words," Kuvira said. 

"Why not? We've got six hours to fill," King Wu said. 

"Growing up in Zaofu with Suyin Bei Fong, I learned that the idea of a royal family passing a title from one generation to the next was archaic, and that technology and innovation should be what drives a nation forward," Kuvira said. "It was the pathetic rule of Kings and Queens that caused the Earth Kingdom to descend into such incredible disarray. 

"It's taken me three years to get it back on track, and there's no way I will allow it to slip back into the dark ages. I'd like to make an announcement to the World. The Earth Kingdom is no more.  And from here on out, this man has no authority," Kuvira said and the audience gasped. 

"Wait, what?" Wu asked. "But I just got the royal brooch."

"I have created a new Earth Empire, and I will continue to lead it into the future myself, bringing about a new era of prosperity for my people," Kuvira said and people began to cheer. "And let me assure my fellow leaders of one thing anyone who crosses our borders or stands in our way will be crushed."

I watched in alarm as Kuvira tore off the medal and crushed it with her bending. I looked at Iroh, and I saw Lady Emiko looking absolutely furious. Lord Zuko looked nervous, I could not imagine what this could mean for the Fire Nation. 

~*~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.7K 753 11
(Sequel to "To Feel Free") After months of searching for answers (Y/N) returns to her friends, only to be just in time to help another major crisis...
68.3K 1.5K 48
. Some friendships are so strong They can even transcend ...
34.7K 836 16
Avatar Korra has arrived back home. After three long years Asami is beyond excited to see her bestfriend again, she soon learns that alot has changed...
73.9K 2.3K 17
Korra's only childhood friend(Y/N) is found after two years when she moves to Republic City for her airbending training. (Y/N), although a non-bender...