Flame

By lvergurl

Davina Combs' first job is a camp counselor at Camp Roslyn. As a girl with social anxiety, she knew being in... More

Characters
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven

Chapter Four

72 6 2
By lvergurl

     "Now, let's do the Airplane Pose," Mrs. Abigail, the camp's yoga instructor, announced as everyone returned to their normal positions from their previous yoga pose. Standing in front of a large room where its walls were replaced with mirrors, she bent over and allowed one leg to hover in the air as she clasped her hands. "And we'll hold this for a full minute. Try to maintain your balance but if you fall, just get up and do it again."

The campers copied the pose on their blue yoga mats. Some glanced back and forth between Mrs. Abigail and themselves in the mirror behind her, making sure they were doing the position correctly. Then there were the other children threw goofy facial expressions at each other through the mirror.

Davina followed Mrs. Abigail. Yoga had always been known to be a great anxiety coping mechanism yet she never tried it. Every Wednesday yoga lessons were held for her group of campers so hopefully, she'll learn enough to take home with her whenever she's anxious. It was difficult to stay still for an entire minute on one leg since she didn't have the greatest balance in the first place.

"You think she's gonna make us do doggy style?" Reese whispered as she did the pose beside Davina. The lesson began about an hour ago, leaving thirty minutes until lunchtime, and with every pose they did, the tall girl brought up a random sexual position.

A laugh vibrated in Davina's throat but refused to let it escape. She knew Mrs. Abigail heard every single one of Reese's comments and grew more irritated; she didn't want to add onto the woman's frustration. Shaking her head with a smile that attempted to stay hidden, Davina rolled her eyes and brought her focus on the activity they did before yoga; baking.

Every day, a different group of campers were required to bake everyone in the camp a dessert to snack on after dinner. For Davina and Reese's group, which they called themselves 'Dudes' because of the various times Reese called them the nickname, they had been asked to make brownies as the nightly sweet treat.

They stood in a separate part of the Cafe's kitchen, all the children given tasks to do. Since there were so many people in the camp, a lot of brownies needed to be made. Pairs of kids took turns stirring their bowls of ingredients while Davina and Reese kept eyes on them, making sure anything prohibited on the grounds wasn't being added.

"So, what'ca like to do for fun?" Reese questioned, leaning against the counter and crossing her arms over her chest, "besides dreaming about me?"

Rolling her eyes, the tan girl's eyes danced around the children. She didn't want to look away for a second, just in case something were to happen. "I like to do makeup."

"What kind of makeup?"

"I mostly do regular makeup; I have a little business where I do people's makeup for their birthdays, weddings, etcetera. But I love doing special effects makeup more, I just never have the opportunity."

"Special effects? Like zombies?"

"Yeah but I like to do the gory stuff more. Once, I painted this huge gash on my cheek, like a really disgusting cut, and scared everyone in my family."

"That's awesome! Do you have any pictures?"

"Mhm. I have an Instagram page dedicated to it so my camera roll doesn't take up all my phone space. I can show you at lunch if you want."

"Absolutely. Who knew you would be into that kind of stuff?" Reese chuckled, an impressed expression spreading across her face. It was obvious she assumed Davina to be into something serious like becoming a doctor or a lawyer. When she was proven wrong, it was difficult for her to believe.

Understanding that the comment wasn't meant as an insult, Davina simply just nodded her head and shyly tucked locks of hair behind her ears. Not many people asked about her hobbies so someone showing fascination about her passion felt odd, but she liked it. "What about you? What do you like to do?"

The tall girl shrugged her shoulders. "I play the guitar and write songs sometimes."

Not surprised since Reese had shown her love for music ever since they met with her band teeshirts and her past love for Elvis, Davina smiled softly. "That's so cool. I wish I could do that. I'm like, musically challenged. I can't play any instrument or hold a note."

"It took me forever but I managed to teach myself how to play the guitar in three years."

"Seriously? That's so impressive. Not many people can do that."

For the first time, that Davina has seen, Reese's cheeks flushed a light pink.

By the time Davina finished reliving their conversation, the camp's trumpet called everyone for lunch. The campers rolled up their mats, tossing them into the large bin in the corner of the room after Mrs. Abigal asked them to. As Reese collected hers and Davina's mats, the tan girl threw the medical bookbag over her shoulders and grabbed the clipboard from the floor before lining the children up.

The second the door opened, the kids raced out of the building and towards the Cafe. Sighing, Davina questioned why she even tried to organize them before lunch. Their excitement for a little free time shadowed over their awareness of how they needed to behave.

     Once she seized her tray in line of the Cafe, she patiently waited for the children in front of her to choose their lunches.

"Hey, Davina," a voice that Davina barely recognized uttered from behind her. When her eyes met with Finn's, her stomach turned.

"Hey Finn," Davina said, not wanting to appear rude.

"How's your day been?"

"Fine. Reese and I's group finished yoga just now."

"Cool, we're doing yoga tomorrow," Finn commented. He fidgeted with his tray momentarily before holding it against his chest. "So I was wondering if you wanted to hang out at the bonfire tonight?"

Every night, everyone gathered around a large campfire. A particular event was never in mind, it was just a way for the campers and the counselors to have a little free time before bed. They ate delicious treats made by one of the groups and enjoyed each other's company. On Monday night, they tried to catch fireflies and on Tuesday, they told spooky stories while roasting marshmallows.

Reluctant to answer, Davina remained silent. The last thing she wanted to do was be alone with Finn, or even close to him with people nearby. Everything about the boy gave her nausea; the way he looked at her like she was a fresh piece of meat, the way he acted around her as if they'd known each other for years, and the way he spoke to her like she was having a conversation for the first time in her life. "I can't; I already agreed to hang with Reese and Jamie. I'm sorry."

Waving his hand in dismissal, Finn shook his head. "Don't be. We can another time."

Another time? There will never be another time but okay; whatever to get him off my back for now.

-

The silver moon glowed in the jet-black sky as the stars twinkled around it. Crickets chirped from the grass, careful to bounce whenever a person came close. A chilly breeze weaved through the woods, making everyone's desire to be near the fire grow.

Children ran past Davina, giggling loudly as they played a game of tag. Warning them to slow down for their safety, she wrapped her arms around herself as she strolled towards Reese, Jamie, Quinn, and Wes who were passing out the brownies the Dudes made earlier that day. They stood behind a medium-sized table, the brownies sitting in glass pans.

"Need any help?" she quietly asked when she approached them. Her eyes immediately crossing to Reese's who had already been staring at her. When their eyes locked, she gazed away sheepishly. It was one thing to stare at the tall girl from a distance but for Reese to look back, the butterfly attached to Davina's heart couldn't handle the gaze.

"Sure thing, Davi," Reese replied, darting her body to the side to provide an empty space. She plucked a pair of clear gloves from its box that sat at the edge of the table and held them out in the air for Davina to take. "Come help give the little critters the tasty treats we baked for them."

Campers came in groups to retrieve a brownie before heading back to the bonfire. Every now and then, a kid would greet Davina with a warm smile which grew a grin on her lips. Keeping to herself, she listened to the conversation between Reese and Jamie.

"I always forget how much I hate the showers here," Reese sighed as she used a butter knife to cut the brownies into uneven squares. "There isn't enough room to twerk."

"Right?" Jamie added, surprising Davina. She expected the constantly bothered girl to give a snarky response. "Shaking my ass in private has been getting more difficult these days."

"What about you?" Wes questioned, nudging his shoulder with Davina's, "you like to 'twerk in the shower'?"

"I never really thought about it," the tan girl chuckled, "I guess I'll have to try it."

"Not here, though," Reese appended. "Not enough room."

Once the brownie containers only contained crumbs, Jamie and Quinn stacked the empty dishes and headed towards the Cafe to clean them in the kitchen. Davina assisted Reese and Wes with folding the plastic table and resting it against the supply cabin. As Wes went off with his other friends, Davina awkwardly stood next to Reese when she noticed Finn watching her from across the area. With the fire burning in front of him made him appear as something dark, something scary.

Noticing the tenseness of the tan girl, Reese rumbled air between her lips, creating a horse-like sound to catch Davina's attention. "I'm gonna smoke by the lake; wanna come?"

Agreeing, Davina followed Reese throughout the crowd of campers. She nervously fiddled with her fingers, keeping her eyes focused on the specs of freckles scattering on Reese's exposed shoulders; the light from the fire was giving her this opportunity.

What if someone sees us and tells Miss Falls? Even if I'm not smoking, they'll think I did and I'll get kicked out and then I'll probably get arrested and never get another job and--

"Stop spiraling," Reese demanded, glimpsing back at Davina when they arrived at the lake. The brightness of the moon replaced the fire's light, giving a clear vision to their surroundings. The tall girl pressed her back against a tree, facing away from the others and towards the lake before sliding down and sitting. The stump of the tree was so wide, it was pretty much impossible to see her.

"I'm not spiraling," Davina mumbled as she relaxed on the ground in front of Reese, leaning against a picnic table. She propped up her knees, letting her forearms rest on them. The silver brightness gleamed on Reese's pale skin, exposing every little feature that Davina never noticed before. "Do you do this every night?"

Humming, Reese pulled out a joint from her bra along with a lighter. Lighting the stick between her lips, she tilted her head on the trunk of the tree and gawked at the stars above. Every few seconds, she'd bring inhale the joint's smoke into her lungs before merely blowing it into the air.

"So, Fried Reese's," Davina started, smirking at the nickname Reese had given herself when they first met. She thought it was utterly stupid but thought it was cute. "Tell me more about your life. What's your family like?"

The tall girl chuckled at the name. "Well, Davi, I have a younger sister named Rue; she's twelve. She's pretty cool but not as cool as me, obviously. She's, like, my best friend in the entire world even though she thinks I'm annoying which is weird."

"So weird. What about your parents?"

"My dad's name is Remy."

"And your mom?"

"Her name was Rachel."

"Was?"

"Yeah. She died from a drug overdose when I was thirteen," Reese explained blankly, her eyes staring at her feet now. She took in the joint, avoiding eye contact with the girl in front of her as if something horrific would happen if she did.

"Oh. I'm so sorry."

"Don't be. Clearly, my sister and I are the only ones who care about her since my dad immediately moved on after she died. Wanna know who it is? The chick my dad is boning?" Reese laughed dryly, glancing back up at Davina with glossy eyes. "Miss Falls."

"What? Are you serious?"

"Yeah. The only reason I have this job is because he asked her to give it to me. I didn't have to do the interview or anything. I only took it so I could be away from my dad for a while once a year."

Suddenly, Davina's appreciation for her relationship with her parents grew. Whenever another person spoke of their poor bonds with their parents, her heart grew heavy. She sometimes took her parents for granted and moments like these made her realize how lucky she was. "Do you like her?"

Reese shrugged. "I guess. She's nice to Rue and that's all that really matters. If she weren't with my dad, I would love her but it's like...my dad is trying to replace my mom. Every time I look at her, I just see her like that; a replacement."

Seeing such a fragile side of Reese was difficult to witness. On the outside, it appeared as if her heart was covered with sunflowers but it was actually made of glass so delicate that with a single touch, it'll break to pieces.

"My turn to ask a question," the tall girl muttered before the conversation could continue. Inhaling the joint's smoke once again, she thought momentarily before turning her head towards Davina with curious eyes. "What's the deal between you and Finn? You act really weird around him."

"He freaks me out. He asked me to hang out with him at the bonfire tonight but I lied and told him I was hanging out with you and Jamie."

"Why does he freak you out?"

"He looks at me like...I'm some kind of sex object, it makes me really uncomfortable. And he always tries to be near me. I just, it's probably all in my head."

"It's not in your head with things like that. I've noticed too but I couldn't read the situation so that's why I asked you. If he tries anything, tell someone, okay? Please don't let it slide. If you're too scared to tell Miss Falls, tell me."

"I doubt anything will happen but thank you, it means a lot to know you have my back."

"Hey, we're buddies! Buddies always have each other's backs!"

Silence fizzed in the air as neither girl knew what to say. Davina stared at the half smoked joint dangling between Reese's fingers so effortlessly. From the time they sat down to now, she noticed the significant difference the drug made in Reese. The bubbly girl was slightly more calm and more focused, hanging on every word Davina said.

Maybe it isn't so bad. What's the harm in trying? I could break a small rule. If Reese hasn't gotten caught yet, why would tonight make any difference?

Fiddling with her fingers, Davina's eyes fixated on the lake ahead. "Do you think I could, um, try the-"

"Is Davina Combs asking to smoke weed?" Reese dramatically gasped, clutching her free hand to her chest. With a wide smile, she handed the joint over to the nervous girl. "Just breathe it in, just like how you normally breathe. But don't inhale too much because you'll be a coughing mess."

Confused by the contrasting rules, Davina decided to rely on the movies and television shows she saw with people who smoked weed. She remembered watching the characters breathe in the drug as if they were normally breathing, just as Reese said.

Bringing the stick to her lips, she inhaled and allowed the smoke to enter her body like oxygen. Making sure to not take in too much at one time, she pulled the joint away and exhaled. She followed the smoke that left her body, immediately feeling a strong tickle in her throat. Clutching her heart, she coughed uncontrollably, squeezing her eyes shut as she tried to not notice the sharp pain in her chest. Once she relaxed, she attempted once more and was able to get through the process without feeling like she was going to suffocate.

"I feel really good," Davina giggled after she took a few puffs of the joint. She smiled at the giddy feeling her body was experiencing; it felt incredible. Never in her life had she ever felt so...calm.

Reese laughed, putting out the fingernail length stick against the tree she rested on. Hugging her knees, she stared at Davina lovingly. "I told you it would help. You should listen to me more often."

"I should," the tan girl grinned. With the constant nausea in her stomach gone, Davina grew the confidence to do something she never thought she would ever do; tell the truth. "I really did not like you when we first met. I thought you were so immature, and stupid, and-"

"Okay, I get it." Reese chuckled.

"But the more I've been around you, I've realized I feel the opposite," Davina admitted, "I think you're really sweet, and smart, and funny."

"Well, thank you, Davi," the tall girl nervously giggled as her cheeks burned. "I've thought those things about you since we met."

"I think, I think I really like you."

"I think I really like you too," Reese whispered as she watched Davina scoot closer to her. Tonight both girls were witnessing different sides of each other they never let anyone else see; it was refreshing. As they were now sitting side by side, Reese played with the hem of her shirt. "Would it be okay if I kissed you?"

"Absolutely."

-

     Davina somehow managed to fall asleep after her kiss with Reese, her first kiss as a matter of fact. At the moment, she didn't think anything of it; she just did what she wanted to do. As she relived it over and over, she was glad her first kiss was with Reese. She was gentle and her lips felt like what Davina imagined laying on a cloud would feel like. Each time she thought of Reese's soft touches, butterflies danced in her stomach to the rhythm of her excited heart's beating.

  In the past, she fantasized what her first kiss would be like and there were several different illusions. The first time was with Zac Efron when she watched High School Musical for the first time, the second was with a boy in her fifth grade class, and the third was with the most popular girl in her school just a year prior. However, none of those dreams that made her swoon weren't even close to the burning in her heart when her lips touched Reese's.

As she stared at the ceiling with rosy cheeks, Davina heard her phone vibrate on the nightstand next to her bed. Quick to retrieve it so the violate noise wouldn't awake Jamie, her eyes immediately squinted to the phone's brightness. Once they adjusted to the sudden light, she read a text from the one person she prayed it was from.

You awake?

Yes. Can't sleep either?

Nope. Thought about you all night.

Same here. I can't believe I like you.

You're saying it like it's a bad thing, Davi.

Well...

Rude!!!!!!

I'm bored! Wanna hang out?

Without hesitation, Davina replied to the message and slipped out of bed. It was an hour before breakfast, meaning everyone was sound asleep. Excited to spend some alone time with Reese, she shoved her feet into her white keds. She grabbed the cabin key and left the room. It wasn't until she was outside that she realized she didn't change out of her pajamas. She decided there was no use in changing since it would waste more time so she strolled over to Reese's cabin where the tall girl was already exiting out of; in her pajamas as well.

The two started to the lake in peaceful silence. All Davina wanted was to lace their fingers together, to have some kind of physical contact to relieve herself from the constant desire of Reese. Her fear of rejection, although there had been no reason for her to think that Reese didn't reciprocate the same feelings towards her, she kept her distance. However, she was unable to fight her eyes' longing to occasionally glance at Reese's hand as they swayed with each step they made. A part of her wished the tall girl would notice her trailing eyes while another part hoped she didn't but she didn't know why.

Instead of waiting for the attention she had been seeking for, Davina raced over to the water. The cool, morning wind brushed her face and combed her hair. A goofy grin plastered on her face when she heard racing footsteps behind her, coming closer by the second. Suddenly, a pair of arms wrapped around her hips and pulled her back, relaxing into a soothing chest. Churning around the arms, she awkwardly let her arms hang by her sides, unsure what to do with them. With a low chuckle, Reese wrapped Davina's arms around her neck, making Davina stand on her toes.

"Just know I really like you too," Reese said softly, inching her head down so their noses were lightly touching. Glancing from Davina's eyes to her lips, she asked permission to connect them with her's and Davina pressed their lips together tenderly. It was a short kiss yet it seemed like it lasted for hours. "So, what are we going to do? I can't exactly take you on a date."

"And counselors aren't allowed to date."

"Oh yeah, you like to follow the rules. I forgot you got a tree branch stuck up your ass."

"Reese!"

"I'm kidding, it's cute," Reese objected, hanging her hands in the air in protest. "I understand why you don't want to break the rules. If you don't want to do anything about...us then I'll ask Miss Falls to switch partners or something."

"I don't want that," the tan girl murmured as she wrapped her arms around herself shyly. She wasn't used to being so open with her emotions with another person. These thoughts were usually for her diary. "Okay, I can't believe I'm even suggesting this. We could...date in secret."

"Ooh, that's kinda hot," Reese winked, "I like the idea but I don't want you to do something you're not comfortable with. We can wait until the summer is over if you want."

"I appreciate that but..."

"Alright. Just know that there are going to be all kinds of girls hitting on me in front of you, I'm a ladies' man."

"I really don't think that's going to be a problem."

"You're being so mean to me this morning, Davi. I don't appreciate it."

"I'll stop if you stop calling me Davi," Davina said, calling back to a similar conversation they had days prior.

"Well, I guess I'll have to suffer from your harmful words."

The next hour spent by the lake was one of Davina's favorite memories of camp. Just her and Reese, listening to the bugs and birds harmonize above the relaxed water and watching the sun replace the emptiness of the navy-blue sky. Sometimes they spoke of casual things that popped into their minds but mostly they used their alone time in silence, the best kind of silence; where nothing needed to be said.

Although they were officially a couple, barely anything about Davina and Reese's relationship shifted, besides the fact that they've kissed twice. Similar to a married couple, they bantered often yet worked flawlessly together. Their secret romance did increase their teasing, however, because of their newly intense hormones. All Davina wanted to do was kiss Reese until she couldn't breathe. She assumed Reese felt the same since the tall girl always found a way to keep her eyes focused on Davina's every movement.

The sensual tension almost became insufferable when the group was at the lake. When she simply held a tiny crush on Reese, it wasn't difficult to avoid the girl's nice body. Her emotional and physical feelings weren't as influential as they were now. Just watching Reese play with the campers made Davina's stomach burn. It showed a side only she was able to witness, Reese's sensitive side, it was as if special people got to experience the serious and kind parts of her.

During lunch, Reese texted Davina to meet up behind the cabin farthest away from everyone. Excitement and anxiety boiled in her stomach as she excused herself from the table. She assumed she knew what Reese wanted to do and she wanted to also yet there would always be that fear crawling underneath her skin and she hated it more than anything.

By the time she reached the cabin Reese told her to go behind, she already created several scenarios on what could happen in her mind. What if Reese changed her mind? What if someone caught them and told Miss Falls, then you both get fired? Thankfully, her thoughts were halted when a hand wrapped around her wrist and tugged her to the side. Reese was standing there, a wide grin plastered on her face as if she won a game at the state fair. "Hi."

"Hi," Davina muttered, letting her eyes fall to her feet to avoid Reese's admiring gaze.

Because of their limitation of time, Reese didn't bother making casual small talk. She instead cupped Davina's cheeks to bring the tan girl's attention to her, eyeing her lips as a non-verbal way to ask permission for a kiss. Davina stood on the tips of her toes, linking their lips together softly. Unlike that morning's short and simple kiss, this kiss was longer and more urgent. Their desperation for one another only grew more and more the extra hours they weren't allowed to show affection. All new couples with a similar tension wanted to do was have some sort of physical contact.

After a few minutes, Davina's back was swiftly pressed against the cabin. Her lips were suddenly keen and empty and disappoint opened her eyes. However, kisses began to coat all over her face and she giggled, shutting her eyes quickly to enjoy the tender moment. Goosebumps rose to her skin alongside her smile. This was the happiest she felt in such a long time.

The last time this much joy pumped in her heart was when she and her mother ditched their responsibilites to spend the day together. They went shopping at book and antique stores before seeing a movie and eating dinner at their favorite restaurant. Not only had it been one of her favorite days because she loved hanging out with her mother but it was because it was a day where she didn't have to go to school.

School was the root of her social anxiety that only grew more each year. Everything about it, the huge public space full of people she didn't know, having to speak in front of a crowd, being forced into her worst nightmare. Every morning before leaving, she would have a panic attack which led to her being prescribed anti-anxiety medications. Just the thought of it made her shiver.

"Bloody hell!" Reese exclaimed in a British accent after removing her lips from Davina's face. Her hair was a mess from the aggressive hands that were tugging at it just seconds before. "Never in my life have I ever been so horny, mate!"

"You just ruined a perfect moment, you know that?" Davina laughed, looping her arms around the tall girl's neck. "What's with the accent?"

"I'm trying something new, my dear Davi," the accent continued. The more she spoke, the worse it got and it only made Davina snicker more. The way Reese could change a situation amazed her every time it happened. Whether it was a deep talk or in this case, a romantic moment, she cracked open one of her inappropriate jokes. Although it used to annoy Davina, it was now one of the things she liked most about Reese.

"I don't think it's working."

"Well, I think you're wrong."

"I'm never wrong."

"How about the time you said I was annoying?"

"You are annoying, it's just more tolerable."

-

After dinner, everyone in camp cleaned up and headed to bed, well, except for a few people. While brushing her teeth, preparing to get underneath warm sheets and snuggle with a cold pillow until she fell into a deep slumber, Davina was met with Jamie. The blonde changed into her pajamas during the ten seconds the tan girl was in the bathroom. "Hey, Wes found a Ouji board in the supply closet and wants to play with it. Wanna head over to his cabin?"

Letting her toothbrush hang from the back of her bottom teeth, she hesitated. Her beliefs on ghosts and spirits strong and didn't want to do anything she would regret. Apparently, the last owner of the house she lived in when she was younger had died. When she found out about this tragic event a year after moving in, she was convinced that his ghost was out to get her for living in his home. Things she couldn't explain happened, like lights constantly flickering or her toys being moved into different places in her room.

We're in the damn woods! There have probably been so many deaths here and their spirits could be anywhere. I don't want to piss off another ghost. I already have Kenny following me and he's just a grumpy guy. What if some demon gets attached to me?

"Uh..." she trailed, "okay."

They were halfway to Wes's cabin when they were met with Reese and Quinn who were heading the same way. Walking side by side, Reese trailed next to Davina and purposely brushed her arm against the tan girl's occasionally; each time only made Davina's face burn more and more.

"Does it make me sound like a pussy if I say I'm terrified of doing this?" Quinn asked out of the blue. Her hair was in a low ponytail, baby hairs sticking to her forehead because of the humid air.

"Yes." Reese and Jamie said in unison.

"No, I'm scared too," Davina admitted, leaning her head forward so she could see Quinn. They smiled at each other, the thought of not being alone in their fear gave them comfort.

"I never thought of you as someone who believes in ghosts." Jamie said.

"Well things have happened that make me believe." She explained the story of her experiences with ghosts and her invisible friend who trailed behind her at all times. Quinn seemed utterly interested yet couldn't help but express her worries for her friend.

Then there was Reese and Jamie, the non-believers who thought the entire story was bullshit.

"You do know that there are so many logical reasons for those things happening, right?"

"If you were there, you wouldn't think that."

The conversation came to a close when they arrived at Wes's cabin. The porch light was flickering which only made Davina and Quinn's anxiety worsen. Moths fluttered around the bulb while mosquitoes flew around the group.

Knocking rapidly on the door with both hands, Reese called out for the boy occupying the vacancy. She apparently didn't bother to think of the people who were trying to sleep all over camp. "Wesley-Bear! The spooky girls are here for an adventure! Open up!"

"Jesus! Do you want to get caught?" Jamie snapped in a whisper, snatching the obnoxious hands from the wooden door. Once all lights were out for the night, no one was allowed at another person's cabin and breaking another rule made Davina doubt her decision to come along expand.

Before Reese could comment, the door swung open. Wes stood in front of them in a white hoodie and black sweatpants, his usual afro was tied on the top of his head. With that charming grin, he welcomed the girls inside and offered them a drink. Memorizing the order of a bottle of water and three root beers, he disappeared underneath his bed. He dragged out a small blue cooler and pulled out the drinks.

"Dude, how the hell did you sneak a cooler in here?" Jamie laughed, walking over to help out with the drinks.

"I had it in my trunk and brought it out the night we got here," he explained, handing her a can of root beer. She tossed it over to Reese and then another one to Quinn.

Taking in Wes's cabin, Davina realized that every residence looked exactly the same. Well, except for the pictures that hung on the walls, those were different. She expected the room to have clothes everywhere and smell of axe body spray since boys were staying in it. However, it was actually clean, probably cleaner than her and Jamie's cabin.

Her eyes lingered around awkwardly, unsure what to do or say. That was something she did often; staring at the same things over and over as if she were seeing them for the first time. It didn't make her appear too uninterested or uncomfortable, it just looked as if she were fascinated by everything she saw. However, her act ended when she landed on Finn sitting on Wes's roommate's bed who had already been staring at her and she immediately peered her eyes away.

"Where's your roommate?" Quinn questioned as she plucked open her root beer.

"He's with his friends." Apparently, Wes and his bedfellow, Peter, weren't the best of friends. Sure, they got along and had the occasional small talk but that didn't mean they would spend time together if they had the choice. They were the definition of acquaintances.

Growing weary under Finn's gaze, Davina fiddled with the paper wrapped around the bottle of water Wes gave her. She did everything to avoid him which included scooting behind Reese and staying there unless someone spoke to her.

Once Nathan arrived a few minutes later, the group sat in a circle with the Ouija board in the middle. Davina made sure to squeeze herself between Quinn and Wes because she saw Finn attempt to sit next to her. The line went Wes, Nathan, Finn, Reese, Jamie, Quinn, and then Davina. To make the event, in Nathan's words, "spookier", all the lights were shut off besides the light of one of their phones. Everyone gently placed a single finger on the planchette. While both Davina and Quinn were internally freaking out, Reese and Jamie lazily followed along. The boys, on the other hand, all had the same belief; whatever happens, happens.

Each person was given the chance to ask a question after they all introduced themselves to the board.

"Is there anyone who wants to speak with us?" Wes asked.

Nothing.

Nathan went next. "What's your name?"

Nothing.

"Could you spell out one of our names?" Finn offered.

This went on for about ten minutes and no one had been able to get a response from the board and boy, was Davina grateful. She began to relax as did Quinn when they realized they were all probably speaking to air.

After two rounds of asking questions and negative comments from Reese and Jamie, they decided to go around one more time just for fun. At this point, Davina had completely calmed down and was actually enjoying it. However that ended when it was Quinn's turn.

"How did you end up here?" Suddenly, the planchette slowly began circling the board. Davina's wide eyes watched while everyone else was asking if someone was moving the planchette. Realizing that Reese hadn't spoken in a few minutes, Davina glanced up and saw the girl was completely still and her breathing hitched. Quinn noticed too. "Reese? Are you okay? Reese?!"

Everyone stopped talking and whipped their heads to the frozen girl. "Reese is not here." The words came out deep, in a voice that no one recognized.

Davina couldn't breathe as her entire body shook viciously. The frightened, screaming voices around her muffled into a distance. She didn't know what to do. This was the most intense panic attack she ever had. However, her attention was shot back into reality when she heard laughter and sighs of relief. Instead of what looked like her possessed girlfriend, there was Reese, perfectly fine and laughing her ass off.

Fury boiled in her chest when she realized Reese was faking it. Abruptly standing up, Davina opened the door and slammed it behind her, racing to her cabin in anger.

Why would she do that when she knows? Why didn't she think about how I might react to something like that? I can't believe she did that when she knew how terrified I would be. That was one of the worst panic attacks I've ever had.

A part of her thought she was overreacting; that had always been something to occur in her mind whenever she became angry. She tried to think of the other person's point of view when something like this happened. What was there a reason for this? Did they have a different intention than what came out? All she came up with for this situation was that Reese was trying to be funny and didn't think of the consequences.

The consequences? I'm acting like she tried to murder me. Why am I so mad? Well, I did have a panic attack and she knows about how easily I can be triggered. But I'm absolutely not the first thing on Reese's mind when she thinks about doing something so why would she think about how I would feel?

Her breathing was still heavy but slowly decreasing back to its original pace. Immediately when she entered her cabin, she went for her pills. Once they were ingested in her system, she laid flat on her bed and stared at the ceiling with her hands clasped over her stomach. Closing her eyes, she decided to focus on her breathing rather than the reason why it was out of place.

Disturbing her meditation, a knock shuddered her back into reality. Propping herself on her elbows to get a better view of the door. She suspiciously allowed the person on the other side to enter and quickly regretted it when Reese emerged inside the room. She plopped back down with a loud sigh. "What?"

"Hey," the girl mumbled, shutting the door softly and sitting down on Jamie's bed. For the first time since she'd known her, Davina saw an ashamed Reese. "I'm--I don't really know what to say. I know I did something wrong but I don't know what it is."

Sitting up with her legs crossed, Davina furrowed her eyebrows together. "You terrified me. I thought something was happening to you and, and I didn't know what to do; I had one of the worst panic attacks I've ever had."

Guilt filled Reese's eyes, lifting her head to stare at the girl in front of her. "I, I'm so sorry. I didn't realize. God, I'm such an idiot. I can't believe that I did that to you. I'm so sorry." She anxiously sat on the edge of Davina's bed, her hand twitching towards the tan girl's knee. "I've never been in a real relationship before so I've never had to think about anyone else and I know that's something I have to get used to. I promise you, I will never, ever do anything to make you upset on purpose. I know that doesn't seem like a lot to you but I swear, it is. I am so sorry, Davina."

Grabbing Reese's lonely hand and interlocking their fingers, placing their hands in her lap. "It's okay; I understand. I've never been in a relationship either so this is all new to me. I don't want to put all my stuff on you but our relationship won't work if we don't talk about the important stuff."

"You're right." Reese scooted closer, leaving a gentle kiss on Davina's temple. "Let's talk about the important stuff."

And they did.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.4M 205K 22
It's not everyday that you get asked by a multi-billionaire man to marry his son. One day when Abrielle Caldwell was having the worst day of her life...
1M 53.7K 34
Millie Ripley has only ever known one player next door. Luke Dawson. But with only a couple months left before he graduates and a blackmailer on th...
590K 52.8K 35
๐™๐™ช๐™ฃ๐™š ๐™ ๐™ฎ๐™– ๐™ ๐™–๐™ง ๐™™๐™–๐™ก๐™– , ๐™ˆ๐™–๐™ง ๐™œ๐™–๐™ฎ๐™ž ๐™ข๐™–๐™ž ๐™ข๐™ž๐™ฉ ๐™œ๐™–๐™ฎ๐™ž ๐™ข๐™–๐™ž ๐™ƒ๐™ค ๐™œ๐™–๐™ฎ๐™ž ๐™ข๐™–๐™ž...... โ™ก ๐™๐™€๐™๐™„ ๐˜ฟ๐™€๐™€๐™’๐˜ผ๐™‰๐™„ โ™ก Shashwat Rajva...
136K 5.9K 55
แ€„แ€šแ€บแ€„แ€šแ€บแ€€แ€แ€Šแ€บแ€ธแ€€แ€แ€…แ€บแ€šแ€ฑแ€ฌแ€€แ€บแ€”แ€พแ€„แ€ทแ€บแ€แ€…แ€บแ€šแ€ฑแ€ฌแ€€แ€บแ€™แ€แ€Šแ€ทแ€บแ€แ€ฒแ€ทแ€€แ€ฑแ€ฌแ€„แ€บแ€œแ€ฑแ€ธแ€”แ€พแ€…แ€บแ€šแ€ฑแ€ฌแ€€แ€บแ€€แ€กแ€œแ€พแ€œแ€ฑแ€ธแ€แ€…แ€บแ€šแ€ฑแ€ฌแ€€แ€บแ€€แ€ญแ€ฏแ€กแ€•แ€ผแ€ญแ€ฏแ€„แ€บแ€กแ€†แ€ญแ€ฏแ€„แ€บแ€œแ€ญแ€ฏแ€€แ€บแ€€แ€ผแ€›แ€ฌแ€€ แ€™แ€ญแ€˜แ€แ€ฝแ€ฑแ€›แ€ฒแ€ทแ€กแ€แ€„แ€บแ€ธแ€กแ€€แ€ผแ€•แ€บแ€…แ€ฎแ€…แ€‰แ€บแ€•แ€ฑแ€ธแ€™แ€พแ€ฏแ€€แ€ผแ€ฑแ€ฌแ€„แ€ทแ€บแ€แ€…แ€บแ€šแ€ฑแ€ฌแ€€แ€บแ€กแ€•แ€ฑแ€ซ...