Short Stories

By shorty2oo4

Short stories I wrote my freshman year. More

2. Pine- Science Fiction
3. Jennifer White- Romance/Superhero Origin
4. History Of The Apron- Report
5. Healthy Weight In Teens- Informational/Persuasive Essay
6. A Day In The Life Of A Clarinet- Fiction

1. Trust- Mystery

1.5K 10 3
By shorty2oo4

The second I see that the combination on my locker is different I know that something is wrong. Every day before I leave I turn it to 0. This is so I don't have to reset it the next morning. But here it is on the very last number of my combination. Whoever opened it last didn't turn it back to zero. Usually, this wouldn't cause as much grief but given the circumstances, there's a lot more to worry about. I gulp as I slowly turn my lock and open it. I let in an unnecessary breath of air as soon as I see what's there. Roses.

    I knew it was a bad idea that school didn't get shut down for investigation. But then again there's not much that they can do when there isn't even a single lead in the case. I grab the flowers already knowing that the plant itself is not poisoned. They look just like the bouquet that the other girls received but there's something different. A single white rose. The first thought that comes to my mind right after the thought of being kidnapped is purity. White is what symbolizes purity and innocence but what does that have to do with me and why didn't affect the other girls. I let out a screech when I feel somebody wrap their arms around me from behind.

    "Good morning to you too," he says laughing lightly. I let out a sigh of relief after realizing it's just my boyfriend. But my anxiety doesn't rest for long as I turn to look at him.

    "Jake I got the flowers," I whisper turning around to show him. His eyes widen as he looks down at them.

    "Oh no," he mutters. "We have to tell somebody before something happens to you." I shake my head immediately putting the idea down.

    "There's no way I'm telling anyone," I reply already knowing that I could get into serious trouble for withholding important information in the first place.

    "Anna, somebody could be trying to kidnap you or worse." He says under his breath but I can still hear the anger behind it.

    "I was the one who didn't tell the cops about the one thing that could possibly save some of my best friends. It was my choice. Granted, it was a choice made out of fear but I'm not backing out now." I tell him and he lets out a groan of frustration.

    "So what do you want to do. Wait until I wake up to a call in the middle of the night from your parents saying that you didn't show up back home or would you rather me wait until I get questioned by the police about the whereabouts of my missing girlfriend." He says and I can feel how upset he is.

    "Fine. What's your plan? Tell the police and get in trouble. The could go on our record," I tell him seriously. I can tell that my words got through to him because he drops his shoulders and sighs. I get why he's mad. If I knew that some kidnapper or murderer was after him and there was nothing we could do I'd be pretty upset as well.

    "I honestly have no clue what to do. But I obviously can't let you get hurt." He says stepping closer to me.

    "Than don't," I reply.

    "It's not that simple. Even if I were to not let you out of my sight something could still happen to you. We have no idea who is doing this or why." He says bringing his attention back to the flowers suddenly.

    "What are you looking at?" I ask noticing the look in his eye has changed.

    "White," he says simply and I nod my head.

    "I noticed that this bouquet had a white flower as well but I couldn't find any meaning behind it other than innocence or purity," I tell him. He says nothing but instead motion for me to hand him the flowers. He takes them and the first thing he does is stick his finger in the white rose to find a small rolled up piece of paper.

    "How did you know that was in there?" I question and he shrugs.

    "If white represents innocence than whoever sent these wants you to figure out who they are and know that they have pure intentions," he says.

    "Kidnapping people sure doesn't sound pure to me," I respond. He says nothing but instead begins to unroll the piece of paper and reads aloud.

    I'm in a place far below. One that men are bound to know. Girls pretend they've never been. A place that's filled with lustful sin. One that I've made pure again. You know everything about me. Or at least you thought you did. I've been overlooked but not again.

    I cringe a little after hearing him read it. She was trying to be clever but she's clearly not. It's obvious she's talking about the basement where all the kids hook up. But I don't care how good you think you are. Anything you could be doing underground is surely not pure, especially if it involves kidnapping three teenage girls. From the corner of my eyes, I spot Evan Harrison and quickly push the roses into my locker.

    "Anna!" He says loudly. I jump and wave lightly without acknowledging his obvious crush on me. "I really liked your presentation in drama the other day. You really do speak more fluently and clearly than anybody else in there. I hope you get the lead in the school play this year." He says and I smile lightly.

    "Anna gets the lead every year," Jake says being friendly. He clearly doesn't realize the feelings that Evan harbors.

    "Well, I'll see you guys later." He says with a smile leaving.

    "That kid sure has it bad for you," Jake jokes and my eyes widen.

    "Why have you been acting so nice if you knew!" I scold.

"The guy's harmless," He says and I roll my eyes. So much for my boyfriend being 'the jealous type'. "Honestly, I think he could help us," Jake says abruptly. "The only way to ensure your safety is by going underground. We can't do that just the two of us. For all we know, whoever is doing this could be keeping bodies down there. Why do kids go down there to hook up? Because it's abandoned and faculty thinks we don't know about it. The more people we have the better."

"For all we know Evan could be the kidnapper. I mean how many times have I overlooked the guy for you?" I ask. Jake turns his head and bites his lip nervously.

"I think we can trust him is all," Jake says.

"Oh yeah, well next thing I know you trust Hunter Garrison too."

"I didn't say that," Jake says obviously triggered. "Whatever just meet me outside the school at sundown. I'll be waiting." He says and I slam my door shut watching him leave.

Even though I'm mad at him. I nonetheless show up to find Jake with none other than Hunter Garrison, Jenny Sans, Evan Harrison, and Shelly Sikes. I understand inviting Jenny, she is my best friend after all. But I haven't spoken to Shelly in years not to mention I already expressed my disliking of Hunter and Evan. Before I even got the chance to say anything I walk up to an apologetic face.

"Look I know that you didn't want your ex-boyfriend here but the fact of the matter is that we need some muscle power which he has. Evan's got the brains as well as Jenny so they'll be a perfect team and Shelly overheard us so I figured why not." He tells me. Shelly Sikes. Why not? She hates me. I mean at least I think she does. I'd hate me if I were her.

"Whatever let's just go," I say not acknowledging any of them as I make my way toward the building. The group quickly catches on and follows. We make it to the door and I try to open it but it's locked. I can't believe I didn't think of that.

"That's not a problem. Follow me." Shelly urges. I hate the idea of following her into God knows where but I have no choice. She makes her way across the dark sides of the building when all of a sudden I watch as she smirks and grabs a bat hidden the bushes. I step back as she hits a window in. "This leads to a small storage area. They probably won't notice the shatter for a week or two so we should be fine." she shrugs. I feel goosebumps on my skin as we enter the room. I don't know what it is but the school at night is creepy. Shelly leads the way as the rest of us follow hesitantly. She's so laid-back here that it scares me. We finally make it to the door that leads to the famous seven minutes in heaven and enter. It's pitch black but Shelly's able to make her way around perfectly. We finally hear some noises in the back and take off running. We enter the room to find the three missing girls tied up.

"Oh my god," I say in horror. "Who did this to you?" I ask the girls who are in tears. "Somebody untie them!" I scream. Hunter, Shelly, Jake, and Evan all quickly run to help untie them but Jenny doesn't budge. "Jenny!" I yell panicked.

"You did this," she whispered.

"Excuse me," I say trembling.

"You took everything from me! You took all the top grades, Jake, the looks, all of it. So this was your payback. I'd take your friends too. You were even selfish with them. You withheld evidence to save your own tail. But guess what honey that won't work now cause I took something of yours this time." She says maniacally. I turn and see Hunter Garrison start beating the heck out of Jake. Jake's fighting but as pointed out before Hunter is really strong.

"I bet you didn't think it'd be your best friend did you?" Shelly sings as she picks a hammer to beat me with.

"Yeah well, I did!" Is all I hear before I see Shelly stumble and fall on top of me. The attacker is none other than my ex-best friend. Shelly Sikes holding a baseball bat. "You may have given up on me Anna but I never gave up on you," she says before helping out Jake and untying the girls.

"Get him!" They scream and I widen my eyes and turn to see my own boyfriend Jake smiling evilly.

"You should have broken up with me when you had the chance," he whispers. All of a sudden my world goes to black... to nothing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

227K 9.6K 53
[English] you love him but everytime you think of him always makes you cry - it isn't love #1 in patah hati/7.13.18 #1 in short poetry/ 12.1.18 #4 in...
235K 5.2K 75
imagines as taylor swift as your mom and travis kelce as your dad
1.2K 262 150
"The Art of Self-Love: Vol I" is a powerful and empowering guide to discovering the beauty of self-acceptance and self-love. This book is a call to e...
1.8K 60 7
Poems that I wrote for my other half. Yall might relate. Easy words, heartfelt. #1 poemcollection/9.96k+ (28/03/2023) #1 poetrycollection/31.7k+ stor...