Crystal Eyes

By MG_writing2703

Ellery Grace Wilson, a deaf teen who lost everything five years ago in a car crash, one that shattered her li... More

The Past Haunts Me
(01)-Ellery Grace Wilson
(02)-James Robert Miller
-(04)-
~(05)~
-(06)-
~(07)~
-(08)-
~(09)~
-(10)-
~(11)~
-(12)-
~(13)~
-(14)-
~(15)~
-(16)-
~(17)~
-(18)-
~(19)~
-(20)-
~(21)~
-(22)-
~(23)~
-(24)-
~(25)~
-(26)-
~(27)~
-(28)-
(~-Epilogue-~)
-Short Bonus Chapter-

~(03)~

6.9K 221 34
By MG_writing2703

~*E l l e r y*~

      All through History class, I had my eyes on Rhonda who stood at the front signing every word that Mrs. Tannon spoke. On the rare occasion I drew my eyes away, I'd find that James was gazing at me curiously from his seat in the back corner. 

     His dark brown hair was tousled and cropped short on the sides. His deep blue eyes, like a midnight sky, glimmered with amusement. I dropped my eyes back to Rhonda, afraid if I gazed back I'd lose something important connecting the lesson. 

      Everyone around me was studying Rhonda closely as her hands departed in motions they attempted to read. A smile was on her face, their stares didn't seem to faze Rhonda. I aspired to be that way. Maybe I'd ask Rhonda to guide me, she seemed kind enough. Or James, he seemed sociable. I still couldn't believe that he could do ASL. He was deft at it, too. I suspected that he had been doing it for a few years, maybe longer. 

      My mind settled away when Rhonda waved her hands at me to drag my attention to her. The teacher marked me curiously and repeated what I'd just missed as Rhonda signed it again. I could've dropped dead of boredom. History was my worst subject, had always been. I discovered absolutely no interest in the subject. Ever. 
~~**~~

      My eyes fluttered open and closed as the wind flowed through my eyelashes. My posture drooped and my steps were lazy. I was exhausted beyond words. I couldn't wait to get home and fall asleep in the content space of my room. After explaining every waking detail of my day to my overbearing brother who was assumably waiting for my arrival on the sofa. Counting every second ticking by that I was late.

      I staggered my steps onto the bus. I felt the engine rumbling beneath my feet and saw the student's heads popping above the rows. I lowered my head as always and crumpled myself in to avoid attention. 

      Vibrations shivered my body, I teetered down the aisle as a few more girls boarded and had their seats. The doors slammed closed as I staggered further to the back where some clear seats were. 

      The bus swayed and I was forced into the nearest seat. I bumped into a blonde who'd been watching me keenly as I teetered down the aisle. If looks could kill, I'd be six feet under. She glared at me as if I'd slaughtered her grandma in cold blood. Her green eyes were piercing my soul. The blonde looked right at me and moved her lips slowly. Over pronouncing her words.
'deaf bitch.'

      I parted my mouth and felt a flourish of panic. I didn't even know this girl and she loathed me...The bus rocked back to a pause and I dived into her unexpectedly. A gasp left my mouth as she shoved me brutally out of the seat. I crash-landed in the hallway with a grunt and rolled my body over. 

      My fleeting headache cleared. I peered up to find James barking at the girl and pointing at me. What was he saying? Was he trashing me or defending me? I'd never be able to identify. I sucked in a breath and boosted myself to my feet on the wobbling bus. James' hands closed around my shoulders, he shifted me into his seat and pitched me against the window, his body blocking mine from her.

      Are you okay? I'm so sorry Ellery, he signed hurriedly, his fingers a little shaky and wild. 
I'm fine, just confused. It isn't your fault. I don't even know her. James drove a hand through his short hair and bowed his head. It is my fault. That's Sarah...my former girlfriend. She must've seen us talking at lunch and thought something further. We ended on a strange note.

      Oh. Teenage girls can get so jealous. They insult other girls to make themselves feel better. It wasn't your fault.

      That sounded like something out of a movie. 

      He parted his lips and his chest heaved, laughing. I wondered briefly what his laugh sounded like. Maybe it was light and soft, or deep and guttural. I didn't dare peer over his shoulder to catch sight of Sarah. Probably furious that he was beaming while she was huddled conversing with her possy of teenage girls. 

      Exactly, she's just jealous, his signing was exaggerated and elevated for Sarah to view. I cringed in hopes she didn't take her love-life-problems onto me again. 

      I couldn't help but smile though as Sarah watched confusedly at his hand motions with an evil glint in her eyes. Obviously irritated that she had not an idea what we were talking about. For all she knew, we could be planning her murder. We would never do that though, she was only a girl she'd grow out of it. 

      The bus jolted to a stop.

      Oh, this is my stop. It was nice 'talking' with you. It made me feel somewhat normal I guess. I'll see you around, maybe. I mean bye, I motioned rapidly. I didn't give him the option to sign back, I gathered my things and wobbled down the hall eagerly. When my feet planted on the sidewalk, I found that he'd followed me off. I drew my eyes to his smirk and crossed my arms.

       This is my stop also, I live just down the road. See ya, neighbor. He swiveled on his heels and tossed his jacket around his neck. His steps were bouncy as he trotted down the sidewalk and took a screeching turn down the road. I huffed as he disappeared, a foreign fluttery feeling gathering in my stomach. 

       The bus lurched and traveled down the road. In the back, I saw Sarah peeking at me through the window huddled with some other girls I didn't recognize. A strange feeling tilted the flutter and turned it into dread as she watched me until she physically couldn't see me any longer and the bus was out of distance. 

       I pushed my key into the lock and shoved our bright red door open. I grunted and shoved it closed, tossing my key into the decorated class bowl on the wooden desk. I scanned the living room for Ryan but he was nowhere in sight. I wiggled into my room and plopped on my cream and lavender colored bed.

     A sigh left my mouth as my door opened and Ryan appeared. A smile tilted his lips, he leaned lazily against the light purple wall.

       Hey, ladybug. How was school? Tell me everything, he signed. I noticed the bags under his eyes and his hair was ruffled and messy. He must've gotten home from work and taken a small nap. Good actually, I met a guy who also does ASL. James.
Really? Did you meet Rhonda and finish your breakfast taco?

       Yup. I met Rhonda, she's nice. I splattered my taco on the school pathway because ironically James crashed into me. He thought I was mad at him because he kept talking to me until I signed that I was deaf and called him a dumbo. He took me by surprise and signed back. That's all that happened.  

       So you had a good day? 

       Yeah, it was fine, I motioned. Ryan's face lit up, he tossed himself onto my bed beside me and took my hand in his for a moment before dropping and signing, I'm so glad. Now I don't feel guilty about dragging you there this morning. At least you can talk to someone.

      I giggled even though I couldn't hear it. I still had yet to speak a single word since the crash...I knew I could physically talk but I didn't have the courage to. I'd tried forming words alone in front of a mirror but I was too self-conscious to speak in front of anyone. Even Ryan.

       I was afraid that I'd sound like a whale or a sea lion giving birth.

       I'll forgive you if you get me a puppy. Ryan dropped his mouth open and scrunched his eyes. Are you serious? Do you want a dog? I pushed his chest and knocked him onto my pillows. I'd wanted a dog for AGES, since before my mom died. She never trusted me to care for it in my younger years. I hadn't disagreed with her but now I was eighteen, in my last year of high school and it would do good for me. 

       He grabbed my hand mid-air as I was signing back and explaining extensively why I needed a puppy, and hauled me down with him. I screeched in shock. Yes, I want a puppy! I've been asking for years, you buffoon! I signed exaggeratingly. 

            Uh, I love you, Els. He attempted to change the subject but I reeled my head and picked up my hands to sign. I love puppies, Ryan. His mouth opened and he might've let out a gruff laugh or maybe it was a groan. The mouth movement looked the same. I'll think about it, ladybug.

      I'll take that as a yes. I love you too, big bro. I threw my arms around his neck and held him tight. His strong arms came to cradle me softly. I puckered my lips and pressed a peck on his cheek. He shoved me away playfully so that he could sign. 

      How about in honor of our first days, we go out to eat tonight? 

      I'd like that. You have to tell me about every achingly boring detail of your work. He nodded and slung himself out of my bed. I perked up onto my knees and beamed at him. 

      We raced out to the car and ate a nice dinner. Afterward, we watched a few movies with subtitles and crashed on the couch. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

39.3K 3.1K 46
Avery Merrick had definitely not enjoyed a storybook life. Growing up with a single Mother who was unstable left her in and out of Foster Homes and...
44.1M 1.8M 50
Highest ranking: #1 in Teen Fiction -- "Sunshine, what guy do you know has a weird fetish with sign language?" She's the aftermath of a high school...
72 1 19
Colette Anderson―a Filipino American, a junior in Richmill High California who internal struggles. After skipping school, the day that marked the thi...
204K 6.9K 59
The worst thing in a girl's life is supposed to be a bad break up. At least, that's what Grace Tanner thought before her world came crashing down on...