Gregory House x reader

By ruby_emolife

You would volunteer at the hospital and have been for two years. You get along with the nurses and most of th... More

prologue
chapter 1: exam room one
chapter 2: vending machine
chapter 4: monster trucks and whiskey
chapter 5: is it a date?

chapter 3: the poker night charity event

4.6K 102 35
By ruby_emolife

(y/n) POV

Three weeks passed by faster than I had anticipated. Three weeks five projects completed for my work, one charity event planned. I already had everything ready for the charity event three weeks ago. All I had to do today was make sure everything was in place for tonight.

Today I wore a more professional looking outfit than my regular jeans and a t-shirt. I walked in with a thin binder with all the plans and the layout for the event. I'd be helping Cuddy with getting everything set up. Wilson and House were in Cuddy's office when I walked in to go over the details one last time.

"God, you're dressed like Cuddy," house said when he saw me enter and stand next to Cuddy.

"Good morning to you too Dr. House," I said rolling my eyes.

"(Y/n) you're early. We won't start setting up until after 4 pm," cuddy said as I handed her the binder.

"So you're working with cuddy for this thing too," House raised an eyebrow.

"I was planning the charity event for tonight when I was being Cuddy's temporary assistant. I'll tell you what I told you last time we had a conversation with each other. I'm surprised your boyfriend didn't tell you what I was doing," I smiled teasingly.

"He's not my boyfriend. We aren't a couple," he scowled.

"Oh no I know. I just like getting under people's skins sometimes," I smirked.

"You'll have to do better than that to do any actual damage," Wilson smiled and side glancing House.

"Oh good, because I thought I was actually going to hurt his feelings," I said sarcastically before continuing, "let me know when you're ready Cuddy, I'll be visiting one of Wilson's kids in oncology."

"Try not to hurt yourself on the way over there," House said as I walked to the door.

I turned around and flipped him off and made a funny face. Once that was done I exited the room and spent some time with the cancer kids.

At 3:30 cuddy called me down to the hospital's front entrance to meet with all the rental teams we'd be working with. Six round card playing tables and eight square tables.

We directed them to leave the tables and chairs to a hallway we sectioned off until we could get the lobby cleaned up and patients out.

By 5 we had the lobby clear of people and anything on the lobby desk and nurse station in the clinic.

By 6 we had all the tables and decor in place. The six waiters and food were arriving in 30 minutes. Two state certified bartenders and a crap load of booze were coming with the the catering service. I had cuddy go get ready since the guests would start to arrive at 7.

The waiters arrived early so I guided the caterers around and gave them instructions for the night. Cuddy came back five minutes before the event officially began.

"Everything is in place. Silent auction is set up in one of our arranged stations. Playing cards are on the tables and poker chips exchange is set up in their stations."

"Great. Go ahead and get changed, I'll be greeting sponsors and donors in front until then."

I quickly made my way to Cuddy's office to get my backpack and dress. An hour later I was ready. I made my way to the event my short heels clacking the whole way.

The party was starting to pick up momentum as dozens of guests had arrived. Cuddy was now walking around and greeting donors. The cocktail waiters were going around with drinks and snacks, the bar was fully stocked, people were conversing and enjoying themselves.

By 8:30 the party was in full swing, Cuddy was at a poker table with House, Wilson, and a others. I walked over and sat next to Cuddy.

"Who knew you could clean up nicely," House said eyeing me up and down, his eyes stopping at my chest briefly.

"Some could say the same about you, House," I smiled.

"You did great with the planning. Very detailed in the binder," cuddy praised.

I nodded.

"You aren't buying in," Wilson asked when he noticed the lack of poker chips in my hand.

"Nope, I'm just supervising tonight. I'll leave in a bit to check on how our sponsors are doing. More booze in their system means they'll donate more," I smirked.

I did my round making sure all the sponsors were having fun. I called over a few waiters to different areas to give our soon to be more than generous sponsors some more of their favorite alcoholic beverage.

I was passing the table where cuddy, house, and Wilson had been. A doctor had come in to talk to cuddy about one of her patients. House excused himself for some fresh air after cuddy was gloating about her win. I continued to make sure everything was okay in the charity event.

Ten minutes later house came back to the party this time he went to talk to chase. He must of said something to upset him or the girl he was talking to from the way the both of them looked. He left again and I followed.  My long black dress swaying as I rushed after him. He was waiting for the elevator when I called out to him, far enough from the event going on for anyone to notice us.

"Doctor House. Where are you going?"

"To work," he said with that 'isnt it obvious' face.

"You don't have a patient. You only help one patient a week from what I've heard," I said walking faster.

"Mind your own business," he rolled his eyes.

"Tonight everything in this hospital is my business. Including," I said, I was closer to him now only a few more paces but my heel got twisted into the fabric. I wobbled sideways as my ankle rolled and caused me to fall forward.

The elevator opened as I fell...straight onto House.

"Sorry," I said rolling myself off of him.

"I knew you'd hurt yourself eventually. Wilson owes me twenty bucks," he said frustratedly.

I got up and extended my hand out to him. He took it and stood up, holding himself up with his cane before pressing a button on the control panel.

"I'm sorry for falling on you."

The elevator dinged, the doors opened and he walked out. I followed limping close behind, the pain in my ankle when I walked made me wince. He reached his office and sighed before holding the door out for me.

"Sit down and shut up," he said pointing to the lounge chair.

I complied and he walked into the next part of his office. His team sat waiting for information and instructions. Ten minutes and the three doctors left to go do whatever task he wanted them to do.

He walked back into his personal office and sat across from me.

"Give me your left foot."

"I'm fine," I responded, "what are you up to House?"

"Right now I'm trying to help you. You fell because you twisted your ankle. I saw you limping when you walked in, now give me your foot," he said more demanding this time.

"I'll be fine."

"Your foot (y/n)," he growled, icy blue eyes challenging me.

"Fine, whatever," I sighed bringing my leg up and resting it next to his leg.

He took off my shoe and pulled my foot onto his lap making me flinch.

"This hurt," he said touching the tender area of my ankle.

"Mhm," I responded trying to hold in a whimper.

"I'll be back," he sighed and walked out of the room.

Ten minutes later he came back with an ice pack and some bandages. He sat infront of me again and grabbed my foot.

House's POV

I grabbed (y/n)'s foot and placed an ice pack on her ankle slowly. She stirred and tried to hold in yet another whimper.

"So you stole Cuddy's case."

"Duh."

"Why? I know you love puzzles but she said it wasn't anything serious."

"Why are you always so insistent on knowing what's going on with everyone."

"You're changing the subject but I'll tell you why anyways. I like being around Wilson, Cuddy, your team, and you. You guys are interesting."

"Uh huh. That's it," I tsked.

"Well were you expecting a different answer," she rolled her eyes, I wrapped some bandages around her ankle to compress it.

The team came back in and we went into the adjoining office. Ten minutes later I walked back in to find (y/n) trying to leave.

"Not that I really care all that much but you're going to hurt yourself like that," I said.

"No shit Sherlock but I think I'll take the risk. As much as your warm and friendly personality compels me to stay there's 1) no booze and 2) I have work to do," she retorted.

"Cuddy can handle anything that comes up and I have booze."

"What kind," she said stopping to turn and look my way.

"Stick around and find out," I challenged.

A smirk etched on her face as she limped back to the lounge chair she'd previously sat on, her black dress swaying in the process. I looked over her once again like I had when she first sat down at the poker table. She wore a long black dress that exposed her shoulders and extenuated her curves, her hair flowed onto her shoulders in loose curls, minimal jewelry, minimal makeup, spare the red lipstick.

"Are you done eye-fucking me yet," she smiled leaning forward in her seat.

"Definitely not. You look good," I said heading to my desk.

"You don't look so bad yourself," she said crossing her injured leg over the other.

I walked back to her with a bottle and a glass.

"So what kind of job do you do for you to be able to work from anywhere with computer access," I questioned handing her the glass before pouring liquor into it.

"If I told you then you wouldn't be interested anymore," she said taking a sip and sighing.

"No probably not. So you're making a game of it for me. Either you like me or you're trying to impress someone. Wilson?"

"No, I'm not trying to impress Wilson. I can't say that I don't like you since I find you interesting but I find all of you guys interesting. The whiskey is good by the way."

"Type," I questioned.

"Bourbon," she smiled.

We talked about Wilson, Cuddy, and then the case before I got paged.

Cuddy was in the patient's room and told me to let it go. I didn't I continued to pursue it further. Once I finally came back into my office I saw that (y/n) had her eyes closed as she sat in the lounge chair. I was about to wake her up when she opened one eye to look at me before sitting up.

"How's your case going," she smiled.

"The kid's getting worse."

"I'm sure you'll find out what's wrong with him and save him in time," she reassured.

I don't need reassurance, I need answers.

"Yeah," I sighed.

Before any more words could be exchanged between us, (y/n)'s cellphone rang. She answered it as quickly as it had rang.

"Yeah," she answered. A murmur on the other side of the line raced.

"No I came up with Dr. House to his office. No, no don't go there. I'm sorry I've been away from the party for so long Lisa, I twisted my ankle and fell. Dr. House was kind enough," she smirked when she said the word kind,"to take a look at the damage and help me ice it for a bit."

I raised a brow.

"Yes, I'll be down in a few for the silent auction announcements," she said with a sense of finality.

"Kind," I asked.

"Pft, I knew it'd get you all worked up. Sorry doc, you're humanity is showing," she grinned taking a sip of what I could imagine was her fourth glass of bourbon by the look of my half empty bottle.

"You're tipsy," I said seriously.

"You're half right," she smiled leaning in closer. "Gotta go, thanks for the drink," she whispered in my ear before getting up and walking out with her heels in one hand, her left foot never having too much weight on it.

I sighed looking at the half empty glass of bourbon with red lipstick around the rim.
I kept my focus on the case and finally solved it as the sun was rising. Once the kid was stable I went down to find most of the stuff from last night being packed up.

(Y/n) and Wilson were sitting at one of the poker tables laughing. I walked over and took a seat across from Wilson.

"Hey, you're back. Did the kid live," she smiled and looked at me.

"Yeah," I said grabbing the cards Wilson was dealing.

"That's great," she said before looking at the men who were cleaning up. She rose and walked to them and shouted out orders at them.

I rose my brow at Wilson who had a goofy grin on his face.

"You like her don't you," I questioned.

"Yeah she's a great friend."

"Not with that smile you're not," I rolled my eyes.

"No really. She's just a friend," he smiled.

"Right."

"Do you like her," he asked.

"I raise."

"I heard you helped her with her ankle."

"Are we playing poker or braiding each other's hair."

We continued on with our poker game.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.8K 92 35
You get invited to work at the offices due to a coincidence of events and luck. Having met Barney as a child when you were on holiday, you always tol...
546 3 1
Melissa Rose is Doctor Gregory House's new personal assistant. She's bright, creative, and full of dreams. House, however is still feeling the effect...
115K 3.5K 21
As a kid I had always gotten into trouble for doing evil things. I'd kill small animals and bring them into class, I'd trick students at school into...
19K 909 15
Disclaimer: massive spoilers for the series finale. Triggers for pretty brief suicidal thoughts. They both know it. They say it to each other in loo...