Cold Secrets

By BrookWrites

She's trouble. She causes chaos in a flick of her finger. She's no goody two-shoes Snow White. And they ca... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 3

Chapter 2

210 13 6
By BrookWrites

The last things I remembered was the surname 'Thompson' who had given me the freedom I yearned for all these years, the look on Ms. Crawford's fiery green eyes, and the way my heart pounded when I felt the wind caressing me as I plunged into darkness. Dark was the place that I saw and where I stood, there was nothing but the cold wind coming from below. I didn't feel anything either, the pain that should have been eating me from the impact was absent. Even the chilly feeling. As moments past, I didn't move but stood in the same spot, and my patient's thinning down to a toothpick. Wondering if there was going to be a skull like train with smoke belching out of it to fetch me. Or was this really it? An eternity of just standing without feeling anything, but loneliness and probably insanity afterwards. It was odd though, that I was still wearing my prep uniform; white dress shirt, dark scarlet blazer, grey sweater vest and a skirt that was above my knees, combat boots, and to top it all off, a striped scarlet and gold necktie. Gryffindor colors, nice. If only I had a wand, I would simply say, 'limos,' and there would be light.

As I was thinking that, two almond shaped holes appeared from the midst, blinding me from the light as it held the same blurry sceneries. I walked closer towards them, my feet echoed on the invisible pavement, and I'm beginning to feel the familiarity of pain. The holes opened and closed, blinking like eyes, and to my dismay-it was not a train stop to who-knows-where. I'm alive, and I don't know if I should be screaming like a chimpanzee right now.

I woke up feeling my body sunk deeper in bed, covered by white sheets and the warmth that came with it. I tried moving my arms, but the right one was immobilized by a cast and my head was throbbing like a stampede was going on in there. Trying to squint my eyes to see where I (really) ended up, I saw the curtains shielding my face to what I assumed were people swarming from behind. Talking in hushed tones, I tried eavesdropping but with my pounding head, it was like my heart just moved up. Smelling that familiar smell, the spirit of ammonia, it dawned on me that I was trapped in the hospital wing. With two strangers accompanying me, a nurse and Thompson-who was until now, nameless.

My eyes then roamed around, arched windows were opened as sunlight rushed in and filled the room, a wooden table sat near the corner that held medical appliances, and on top of that were hanging cabinets filled with medicine bottles of all sorts, shape, and sizes. Rows of bed were stationed on two corners of the room, and I was occupying the first one near the door. Catching a pair of eyes, a petite looking nurse with ginger colored hair that was styled into a bun stared at me creepily, with a chart on hand, I would assume were my medical records. Hating the cringing feeling, the moment I averted my eyes I caught Thompson's chestnut brown ones.

It was only for a mere second though, when he quickly averted his and gazed out the window with a rather troubled look. He stood there with a bag slung to his shoulder, he wore the same uniform as mine, only he wore pants and his striped scarlet and gold necktie was slightly loose. His dark chocolate brown hair was unkempt that it looked like his hand went through it dozens of times already and pair that up with that six foot two lean body of his-he reminded me of my grandfather when he was young, and I probably stared for a bit too long for that thought to came in.

It sickened me thinking that.

"Vitals are all normal Ms. Crawford." The surname itself made my ears perked, as footsteps came closer to my bedside I saw an old man with his beard shaped like that of pear with a pair of spectacles sitting on his nose while Ms. Crawford was as rigid as before. Her hair seemed to be 'glued' back into place, but she would look ravishing if she dyed her hair blue rather than that dull greying hair of hers. And I would do the pleasure doing that, in the near future. Then unexpectedly, someone followed them from behind, a boy, probably a year older than me, stood beside Ms. Crawford giving me an insolent blue eyed stare. His raven hair was neatly combed and was quite the opposite of Thompson. Whoever he was, he was already giving me that aura of a know-at-all, and it irked the creature in me.

"A small concussion to the head and a fractured bone on her right arm. Nothing critical, thanks to these boys heroic act." He then glanced at me and smiled. "And it seems our angel's awake, how's yer arm dear?"

My mouth parted as I moistened my cracking lips, words came out but it wasn't at all understandable when I heard myself spoke. I tried again but then, the 'know-it-all' butt in, scoffing. Imagining blood gushing out of him was the only thing that eased my mind for a bit or better yet, picturing him as Voldemort with greenish mucus oozing out of his nostrils was better.

"Doctor," he said with an accent that wooed women, but apparently in his case he was taunting the woman in me-if there actually was. "She is no closer than to being called an angel, much less a woman. I believe the devil is resting in our midst."

"No kidding," Thompson said exasperated as my attention turned to him. "Endangering the academy's reputation, almost broke my arm off because of her weight, and best of all, I am late for Mr. Arnulf's class."

In instinct I said, "Like I'd give a fu-"

"That is enough gentlemen...and lady," Ms. Crawford said sternly and then looked to where Thompson stood. "And Mr. Thompson, pardon for the delay but you may now proceed to your class. I had already informed Mr. Arnulf about your absence."

Without another word said, he went out with the sound of his heavy footsteps that matched that scornful expression of his. The murmurs from outside subsided, I can hear the scrambling of feet, scurrying off towards the halls, and then the shutting of the door.

"Thank you for your time Dr. Darrison, and forgive me for the sudden call," said Ms. Crawford.

"There is no need Eloise, a patient is a patient," Dr. Darrison said and bend down, examining me for one more time. "And don't worry Ms. Hendricks, that cast will be off in two weeks' time.

"Well then," he straightened his back and walked towards the table gathering his belongings. "I better be off, it might be a small town but a lot of people get sick so often." And he was off with the nurse ushering him out, leaving me in the hands of Ms. Crawford and her spawn. Her arms were folded and she gave a stern look that was mimicked by the boy standing like a loyal troll next to her.

"William," she said, addressing Voldemort whose nose was still oozing of green mucus. "Drive her to the Aldous residence and assist her with her things. And tell Mrs. Morel that Ms. Hendricks would no longer be staying in the girl's dormitory. So move along, I still have to chat with Ms. Hendricks here."

"Yes, Ms. Crawford." And he too, walked away without a single word of protest spoken-an obedient troll indeed. Even though it was quite obvious in his tone that he loathed the idea.

"Did you finally made up your mind?" I asked after a moment of awkward silence. She grinned at me, making me a bit insecure of my vulnerability.

"I might say, you have great potentials Ms. Hendricks, such a shame you wasted everything just for the attention and love." She then sat on the foot of my bed, with her legs crossed and her back straight, she continued her speech. "As you can see Ms. Hendricks, this academy may not be so well known to the world or even in this country that you dislike so much, but, it has earned a reputation. And it would be appropriate expelling you this very instant for damaging a century's worth of hard work. But don't you think you should start facing the consequences rather than go the easier way. And I am warning you now Ms. Hendricks, do not waste your time seeking for your father's attention, because..." she leaned closer as our noses were leveled, pausing to make an effect.

I clenched my left hand as my nails dug into my palm, the pain didn't came, as though I'm numb. She didn't understand anything-she didn't know who I am. I glared at her, trying to make my eyes pierced through her rotten soul.

"You are just like a fool chasing after the wind," she said, her tone deeper and colder. Her eyes held the brilliant color of green, that when staring at it closely, for a split second I thought it glowed, flashing with a different kind of greenish colour.

***

I slammed the door shut and sat in the passenger's seat of a dirty white old mini. Waiting for William to finished packing my suitcases, since this antiqued car must be well taken care of, instructed Ms. Crawford. And like the troll he was, he obeyed by arranging and rearranging them for five minutes and counting, until he was sure it would not leave a dent or even a scratch.

As my fingers drummed over the dash board, my thoughts go back to how Ms. Crawford's eyes glowed. But that was the end of it, I didn't remember falling back to sleep or how my head miraculously was gone of headache. I just woke up, got my things packed and I'm here. I was freed from a prison cell, where my inmate would jump for joy knowing Drew Hendricks was out of the picture and was transferred into a solitary confinement. I sighed, my patience was evaporating into thin air, as I leaned back on the headrest.

"You finally done?" I said when William went inside, fumbling with the keys, and then started the rackety engine. He glanced at me and said, "Keep your mouth shut and this won't take long."

I rolled my eyes, muttering, "Whatever," and got my phone out, plugging in headphones and listened to music. The ride was silent as expected and listening to Ed Sheeran helped. I then lowered the window. The sky was grey and blank and the wind cold and quiet. As we approached the small buildings, everything was old but it was all here. A simple life. And since this old mini's passenger seat was on the left, I stretched out my hand in the open. Unsatisfied, I bobbed my head out and looked at the town's people and the surroundings. London planes grew almost everywhere, lined in the streets, beside the shops, and somewhere in the outskirts of the town, where there silhouettes stood tall and firm.

The smell of freshly baked muffins lingered in the air for a bit as I caught a sniff, making my stomach rumbled quietly. My eyes quickly darted at a particular shop, where a plump old lady was carrying with her a tray of various muffins. She placed it on a table that held the sign; free samples. Holy cow, I should go there later.

"If your head was suddenly detached from you, I wouldn't mind burying you in the woods," said William. "And close the window, it's starting to rain." I grunted, sat back, and closed the window.

"What's your full name?" I asked and turned to look at him.

"Why the sudden interest?"

"It doesn't matter whether I am or not, just answer the question William."

He smirked but gave in, "William, William Edeson," he said.

I then faced the narrowing road in front us, as we exited the town. The pine trees looked down on us as we continued to travel down the familiar road. Droplets of rain started to blur the windshield as it fell to the earth like blood. Lightning flashed and then came thunder, it was all so sudden.

"So Edeson, who are you to Ms. Crawford?" I said, but he wasn't at all interested when he completely ignored me. "Getting blurry there." William then turned on the wipers. I didn't bother asking again, it seemed to be a topic he didn't wished to answer. But I'm not that kind of person.

"I mean, Voldemort wouldn't be like that," I pushed on. Then he stared at me with knitted eyebrows, bewildered. "Or never mind," I mumbled.

"Just a student, running for prime minister in the academy," he said as he switched gears, trying to go through the now muddy and rocky road. "And no more unnecessary questions, please."

For a moment there, he was 'okay' but then it was like his jerky persona suddenly resurfaced. I left the conversation there and gazed out, where there was a clearing up ahead. The pine trees lessened and thinned, where some oak trees, and London planes nestled in the grounds. The heavy rain didn't quite help, but, I can already shape the outline of what you called a mansion. I took out the earplugs and shoved them in with my phone into my pocket. I pressed my head on the window, my breath fogging it. Then William came to an abrupt stop, he went out, and started unloading my suitcases. Where mud must have stained the wheels already. My face went hot, anger bubbled in me, I can't afford him to damage any of them, even if they were waterproof. I opened the door and went out under the rain, where I got soaked from head to foot in seconds.

"What on earth are you doing?!" I shouted, competing with rain.

"The road's too narrow up ahead, it's best to walk from here!" William then placed the last of them and went back inside, closed the door, and maneuvered the car to make a U turn. I quickly stood in front of the mini, arms wide opened, I then slammed the hood of the car with full force using my good arm. "Now you listen here, you twit!"

AN: This chapter is NOT edited and will be, before the next one gets published. Some of the paragraphs may also be revised. School days are hectic, sorry. Please vote and comment, just click it!

Drew: "Give the kid a break and say something."

Thompson: "You really love to meddle, don't you?"

Drew: "Shut up! I was just helping."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

492K 21.7K 87
Nika, a halfblood vampire, faces conspiracies and dark magic during a hunt for her best friend - whose kidnapping has sparked a war between supernatu...