Beasts Within Us | Newt Scama...

By DangitNifflers

'I did not ask for the things Ive been through, and I certainly did not ask my mind to paint and repaint the... More

01. Witches among us.
02. Chaos of Change.
03. MACUSA.
04. Evidence.
05. Dont get Attached.
06. Heart sigh
07. Shell shock.
08. Diamonds and Gold.
09. Suffer Twice.
10. Convicted.
11. One of Us.
12. Execution.
13. Anticipation.
14. Geminio.
15. Danger.
16. Quiet.
17. Sparks.
18. Impulse.
19. Letting Go.
21.Consequences.
22. Somber.
23. Confliction.
24. Goodbye.
25. Terrified.
26. Intimacy.

20. Downpour.

339 4 0
By DangitNifflers

Jacob leads the wizards up the stairwell from the subway with the glow of dawn shining above them. Rain continues to pour heavily over the now quiet city streets. A couple of aurors are spotted still working on restoring the calamity of hours prior.

The no-maj stops at the front of the canopy shielding them from the enchanted droplets. Queenie reaches for his hand, stopping him from progressing into the sun shower. He turns to gaze at her with affection in his round eyes.

"Hey. Hey, this is for the best. I mean... I was-I was never suppose to be here and do the things I did." He chokes trying to justify the reality of the last three days.

Queenie's eyes linger with remorse about the outcome. The remaining three observe them with sadness on their faces.

"I was never supposed to be any part of this. Or know who... Who you guys really are. Newt only kept me around for- wait... Newt, why did you keep me around?" He trails breaking his concentration of Queenie to Newt.

The wizard bites his lower lip.

"Because I like you. Because you're my friend and I'll never forget how you helped me, Jacob." The wizard's response is sincere.

Jacob pouts overcome with emotion by Newt's words.

"Oh." He gasps, choking on the word.

Queenie moves closer to Jacob and stands close to him.

"I'll come with you! We'll go somewhere. Anywhere! Cause- I ain't never gonna find anyone else like you." She laughs through her tears smiling at him.

He brushes her comments off.

"There's loads like me."

"No... No. There's only you who's like you."

The air is heavy, almost unbearable to lose a dear friend.

"I gotta go," Jacob says turning towards the rain.

"Jacob!" Newt calls, following after him.

He stops forcing himself to smile to lighten the mood.

"It's okay... It's okay... It's like... Waking up, right?"

They all smile back at him assuring it'll be alright.

"You will do great things, Jacob. We'll check in. Every once in a while." Esther comments.

Jacob smiles briefly at her before he submerges himself into the rain. He stretches out his arms in a dramatic motion and looks up to the sky with closed eyes. The droplets wash over his face.

Queenie creates an umbrella from her wand and follows after him. She stands before him and caresses his cheek. She closes her eyes and brings her lips to his in a soft kiss. She pulls away slowly, knowing he won't remember, but she will forever. She slips back under the terrace refusing him to leave her sight. Esther links her fingers with her best friends.

Jacob opens his eyes and surveys his surroundings. How did he get here? Why is he standing in the rain? He shakes off his confusion and carries on through the streets.

Queenie sniffles down the streets with Newt, Tina, and Esther while holding hands with her best friend. Esther squeezes her palm to comfort her.

"We need to get you on the next ship back to London," Tina says.

Newt looks back at Tina, understanding the urgency behind her words.

"Do you think it could wait until tomorrow?" Esther mumbles.

A beat.

"As much as I'd love to follow the orders of the Congress Esther has a point. We've all endured quite a bit in the last couple of days. I swear I'll get on the next boat after everyone has rested." Newt compromises.

Tina purses her lips, agreeing with his statement. "Fine. A night."

"Teenie, can Esther stay with us, please?" Queenie pleads through her silent tears.

Her sister nods.

"Let's aparate at my apartment. Mr.Scamander I expect you to be on your best behavior." The former auror warns.

"I swear."

In unison, the band of wizards aparate towards the Goldstein's home.

The door to the apartment opens. The four wizards drag their feet inside and breathe a sigh of relief. Their journey is over. Esther stumbles on the coffee table centered within the room. She regains her posture, although still slouching. Her palms rest on her pulsating forehead. Newt instinctively turns towards her.

"Are you alright?" He asks concerned.

Her head bobs up and down. His eyes narrow accessing her behavior.

"You haven't slept at all, haven't you?" He questions.

She stands silent.

He progresses to her and places his hands on her shoulders. She flinches at his touch, still overwhelmed by her impulsive behavior. He pulls her hands own revealing her bloodshot eyes.

"You should get some rest." A beat. "Queenie, may Esther borrow your bed? She's not in the best headspace to be awake much longer." He insists.

Before the legilimens could answer, he lifts Esther into his arms and moves in the direction of the bedroom. The witch is far too exhausted to argue against it and clings to his neck. Newt passes the kitchen where Tina is brewing coffee for those who might want some. She stares at the towering wizard with Esther draped across his chest bridal style. Esther looks so small crouched up to his linear chest. She wonders to herself how things escalated to that level of intimacy in the span of two days.

He steps into the room and places her on the bed Jacob once nestled into and covered her.

"Where will you sleep?" The witch mumbles.

He crouches in front of her with a faint smile. He swoops her bangs behind her ear tenderly.

"In my case, of course." He replies humbly.

A moment passes as he watches her steady breathing. He stands up turning to leave.

"Am I an awful person? For what I did..." she groans.

He turns his head trying to find the right words.

"I think you did what you felt was right. Now get some sleep." He says leaving the room.

Newt enters the living room where Queenie and Tina are sipping their beverages quietly among themselves. A mug is set aside for him next to a bowl of sugar and milk. The warmth of the mug sizzles against his lips taking a sip of the dark liquid. He sits down to join the silence. Queenie, Tina, and Newt quietly drink the coffee hoping the caffeine will perk them up.

Time passes while they all process what had happened with Credence.

"I plan on going to MACUSA with Esther to speak with the president." Newt breaks the silence.

Tina raises her head. "Why?"

"To get your job back, of course. You display a great sense of justice."

Queenie lowers her cup to cradle her temples. Newts alarmed by her abrupt action.

"Is it Esther? You can hear people's dreams?" He questions the room.

She winces in pain trying to play it off. He sets his cup down and heads towards the sleeping witch. He enters the bedroom and finds Esther stirring under the sheets violently.

"Esther! Esther!" He says kneeling down by the bed to wake her.

Her body springs up with her eyes bulging open and gasping for air.

"Where am I? Where's Credence? Did they catch Graves?" She breathes heavily.

"You're at the Goldstein's. In Queenie's bed. You were exhausted so I...- Do you not remember?" He replies confused by the series of questions.

"I was... I was dreaming?" She gulps collapsing back into the pillow.

She presses against her eyes frustrated.

"Were you having flashbacks? Of last night?" He asks the witch.

She presses her lips together as her palms dig deeper to suppress her tears. He can't know her burdens.

"I can't... I don't want to." She sniffles.

Her head pounds by the strain of her psychotic break.

"You can tell me. You've been suffering tenfold." He presses growing wary.

His hands overlap hers and withdraw them from her face. Her beautiful grey eyes are bloodshot and wet.

"I don't want following into my darkness. I can't bring you down with me. You should go. I don't want to hurt you." She whimpers.

His brows crease looking at her frowning lips. He squeezes her hands in reassurance. She releases a quivering sigh.

"I've been- I've been kissed by a dementor. The memories they- The memories haunt me. I can look at something. Or feel something and... I relive it again. Over and over again. I can't stop it. I- I lose myself and I'm so scared of- scared of losing myself. I lost myself in the subway. And what if that's the end for me? What if- What if I lose my job? And I can't- I can't help these- can't help these creatures I meet? And you. What if I hurt you and don't realize it until it's- realizing it's too late? Why haven't you left? Why do you still stay here knowing I'm incapable of controlling myself? Merlin... I'm so scared to lose the things that make me happy." She confesses.

The wizard is moved by her confidence in him. The corners of his lips loosen and eyes droop. He wishes he could take her pain away. He searches for the right words to comfort her, but nothing comes to mind.

"Come on. Let's go." He says freeing her hands to stand up.

Her head cocks to the side unsure if his reaction.

"Go? Go where?" She asks wiping away her tears frantically.

"We're going to MACUSA. I have some words for Madam President. You won't lose your job. I promise." He replies with confidence gesturing for her hand.

She takes it and stumbles from the bed frame.

"How are you so sure? She's not one to take orders from others." She warns.

"Trust me."

He opens his hand to lace her fingers with his and leads her from the room. He moves so fast Esther's still processing what's exactly happening. They encounter the Goldstein's on their way out the front door. Tina rises from the sofa.

"Where are you taking her?" She barks.

His hand falls from the doorknob almost stunned from Tina's authoritative tone.

"MACUSA. We'll be back." He replies then whisks Esther out the door with him.

He apparates out of the hallway fearing of alarming Mrs.Esposito. Their walk is silent aside from the shuffling of their feet on the bricks. Intermittent wisps of cold air brush against Esther, but a strange warmth from her chest keeps her warm. She wonders why he's going such lengths for her. After all, she's done. Is there a chance of saving her?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

301 9 12
Upon returning for the final year at Hogwarts, Hermione discovers a young girl's body near the lake. Now the school is under lockdown until the culpr...
1.8K 78 73
I charged at her, watching as she didn't brace herself for the impact. Thinking I had caught her off-guard, I felt the swell of rage and pride churni...
56.1K 1.9K 18
Second in the LOVED Series It's their second year together, and a lot has changed. Think a long-lost twin would throw a spanner in the works? Eh, wro...
3K 50 21
"Is second love ever sweet when war wages within a broken heart?" Grindelwald's war grows more desperate each day; losses on both sides leave the wiz...