Gregory House x reader

By ruby_emolife

You would volunteer at the hospital and have been for two years. You get along with the nurses and most of th... More

prologue
chapter 1: exam room one
chapter 3: the poker night charity event
chapter 4: monster trucks and whiskey
chapter 5: is it a date?

chapter 2: vending machine

5.5K 114 7
By ruby_emolife

(y/n) POV

It had been weeks since i officially met Dr. House. The day after I brought in muffins for the team, Cuddy, and Wilson.

Not many lonely patients this week. Cuddy was still having problems with finding a new assistant. I offered to help for the week which she took.

House was called into Cuddy's office. They were having a meeting with a man who was extremely angry. Something about a Car crash victim being rejected from being placed on the organ donor list and his patient that got rejected for a transplant.

I'd hear more about it later probably from Cameron or Wilson. Possibly Cuddy considering how fast all three were walking out of the office.

I continued to work on my newest project, this one for the hospital. In about two weeks the hospital would be hosting a charity casino night to raise more money, most likely to raise more funds for the free clinic.

Wilson came in and asked if I wanted to join him for lunch. He had a lot on his mind and House was too busy for him. He wanted someone to be understanding and give a damn about whatever was going on.

"So House thinks you're cheating on your wife. Are you?"

"No, I'm not having an affair."

"And he deduced this all from a box of $12 chocolate?"

"That's House for you."

"Really? Well I guess it's reasonable that he'd be able to analyze your habits so well considering. I mean from what I've heard you two are inseparable and tell each other everything."

"What? Who'd you hear that from?"

"Well the other day you two were in the hallway while I was on my way to visit one of the patients on my list. So I heard you guys and Cuddy was upset last week when one of you told the other something she didn't want the other to know."

"So how's being Cuddy's temporary assistant going?"

"Good. I'm in charge of planning the casino night charity event."

"Really? Have you done anything like that before?"

"Yes. I have experience in event planning and you know marketing and design."

"I know but it's a lot of work."

"Well I have some time. Just make sure to wear something sharp."

"Why are you so invested in helping the hospital? Don't you have a regular 9 to 5?"

"I have my reasons. No I don't have a regular 9 to 5, I work from my computer."

"You're not giving up much information on who you are. You've been coming and helping here for two years or so. Why?"

"Probably the same reason you show up to work. I want to help people. You do it with cancer patients, I just try and make people feel better even if they'll die or I won't see them after they leave."

Wilson got paged as soon as I answered his question.

"You should try talking to your wife if you're feeling concerned about the relationship. If you're feeling unsatisfied she needs to know, maybe she'll want to humor you," was the last thing that was said before he left.

I went back to Cuddy's office and went back to work.

It was early evening when I decided to take a break. I went to the vending machine with all the good snacks, not the one in front where most patients go.

I put in the exact amount of money and pushed the numbers for my desired snack. The machine whirled and the snack began it's decent until it got caught on another coil.

"Just my luck," I sighed as I bent down to the retrieval chamber.

I stuck my arm in and tried to reach my snack. I kept trying for what felt like ages. I had finally given up only to find my arm was stuck.

"You're going to make it worse if you keep trying to force your arm out of there like that," a gruff voice said from besides me, causing me to jump a bit.

"No shit Sherlock," I rolled my eyes as I turned to look at the familiar voice.

"Stay still," he sighed kneeled down and grabbing my arm. He twisted and shimmied it little by little, repeating until my arm was finally out.

"Thank you," I said.

"No problem," he shrugged.

"Stupid machine took my chips hostage," I sighed as we stood up.

"Yeah it'll do that. Watch this," he said smacking the side with his cane.

The bag toppled down and bent down to retrieve it before handing it to you.

"Thanks. You want some?"

I opened the bag and held it out towards him. He took a hand full and nodded.

"How's your patient? Did he get the heart he needed?"

"How did you know about my patient," he asked with his usual straight face.

"I'm acting as Cuddy's temporary assistant this week. I was at the desk when you, some man, and Cuddy all exited the office and stepped into the hallway. I would have thought Wilson would have told you after our conversation during lunch."

"No, never came up. Not that it would."

"Yeah I-"

His pager beeped interrupting our conversation once again.

"I've got to go," he said walking away as fast as he could.

I walked back and continued on my work.

House's POV

I walked through the halls waiting for the heart transplant surgery to be finished. As I made my way around the corner I noticed a person on the floor next to the vending machine. It was (y/n) as it turned out once I got closer. I helped her get her arm out of the machine. Her chips had gotten stuck on their way down. We talked for two minutes before my pager went off. My patient was out of surgery, I excused myself.

Accident prone. More like she liked getting herself in odd situations. It'd been a few weeks since we formally met but so far in that time she managed three more falling incidents, none of which did major damage. Foreman, Cameron, and Chase had known her longer that I had and she refused their help whenever they heard about one of her incidents. Wilson and Cuddy also knew her more time, it seems I was the last to get to know her. She was stubborn, refusing help for any of her minor injuries from anyone of the five of them.

I didn't help her, she didn't ask, I didn't know, I didn't care. And yet Wilson always told me what was happening around Cuddy's office and how (y/n) got herself injured again. Last week it was a gash on her finger from a kitchen knife. The week before she fell down the stairs and got covered in bruises and also walked straight into the wall causing a nose bleed.

I checked on my patient, he was fine, everything went well he'd be discharged in the morning. I headed home on my motorcycle and plopped onto the couch.

Thirty minutes passed and there was a knock on my door. I sighed as I got up and limped to the door with my cane in my right hand for support. Wilson. That meant one thing.

"You idiot. You told her," I sighed scowling at him.

"Actually she told me. She's been having an affair," he smiled nervously.

I opened the door wider to invite him in, "you want a beer?"

He came in and we talked about it. And when he was done with telling me how crappy this was I decided he could use a laugh. I also wanted to know how come he didn't tell me about having lunch with her.

"So I found (y/n) in the hallway with her arm stuck in the vending machine," I chuckled.

"What," he laughed looking up from his 3rd beer bottle.

"Yeah, the machine as she said and I quote, took her chips hostage," I sighed holding back a laugh.

"Really? What'd you do? Is she okay?"

"Yeah she's fine. I got her arm out. Oh and her chips too."

"That's good. I can't believe she took your help. She won't let anyone help her often."

"Yeah so you keep telling me. Here's the thing I found out though. She's a sharer," I said critically.

"What do you mean?"

"Well after I got her arm and snack out she shared the bag with me. As well as information about her day today."

Wilson froze.

"You had lunch with her."

"Yes, so what does it matter?"

"You're having an affair with her aren't you," I questioned.

"No I'm not. I told you I'm not having an affair!"

"Then why the lunch," I pressed.

"I was asking for advice. She told me to talk to my wife and see what was wrong."

"Why didn't you tell me she was working as Cuddy's temporary assistant?"

"It never came up until now and we haven't talked much today up until now. I thought you would have noticed considering you went to Cuddy's office today. Why does it matter that she's Cuddy's acting assistant?"

"It doesn't. It just surprised me that someone not in my circle of people who know about my patients knew to ask about one of my patients."

"What'd she ask?"

"How the patient was and if he got the heart he needed," I sighed.

"She's very observant."

"Yeah looks like it. I'm going to bed," I said with finality as I got up and limped to my bedroom.

Once I had closed the door behind me I shuffled out of my clothes and into something more comfortable to sleep in. I sat on the bed and laid back. I couldn't sleep, not until later hours crept by. Constant staring at the ceiling, my brain still searching for answers to why (y/n) would want to spend so much time at a hospital, why she worked from a computer, what drove her to have so many accidents. She was a new puzzle that would take time to figure out. I didn't mind I like puzzles. Finally I was able to silence my mind just enough to to let my heavy lids finally close and let myself sleep.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

548 3 1
Melissa Rose is Doctor Gregory House's new personal assistant. She's bright, creative, and full of dreams. House, however is still feeling the effect...
31.5K 953 16
Things seem to be going great for you. You have a stable job as a doctor at the prison, you have a pretty good house that you live in. AND ITS ALMOST...
115K 3.5K 21
As a kid I had always gotten into trouble for doing evil things. I'd kill small animals and bring them into class, I'd trick students at school into...