Never the Same

Natasha_Smith द्वारा

After everything that has happened between Luca and Kaylee over the years, finally getting engaged was one of... अधिक

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39 - Epilogue

Chapter 10

1K 39 4
Natasha_Smith द्वारा

After dropping my dad off back home, I send a quick text to Allison to let her know that I'm back home and drive back to Luca's house. The main thing I wanted to do today was to see my family and see how my dad was doing. So spending some time with him has put my mind at ease over his health even though he's still got a long way to go before he's back to his usual self.

I just park the car up near the garages and get out when I see Allison's name appear on my phone.

I smile and answer the phone. "Hello."

"And why am I only just hearing that you're back? I should have been one of the first people to hear that you were coming home," she half-shouts at me.

I roll my eyes and walk into the house, smiling at Lyla as she closes the door behind me and hands me a cup of coffee. I give her the car keys and my jacket and walk to the kitchen while sipping the coffee.

"It was more of a spur of the moment thing," I admit.

Yes, I was planning on coming home at some point but not really this soon.

"Did something happen you want to talk about?"

I settle on one of the stools at the island.

"What has everything been about since I went to New York with Luca?" I sigh.

"I can get this in one go. Don't tell me." She goes quiet for a moment. "It starts with an N and ends with an A."

"You got it in one."

"Is she still at it?" She groans loudly. "When you go back to New York, can I come so I can beat the shit out of her? I bet you any money she has got the face you'd never get tired of hitting."

I laugh. "Trust me, I'd like nothing more than for someone to do that and for you to be the one to do it."

"But?" She draws out.

"But Nadia is looking for any piece of information and any incident up to now to use against Luca in court."

"Oh, I got it. In that case, I shall restrain myself for the time being."

"Thank you even though I know it'll be very hard of you to do that." I drink more of my coffee. "So, how's the job and the flat?"

"Both are great," she answers contently. "I'm on a small break so I thought I'd give you a call rather than just text you back."

"That's good. I'm happy for you. I'm glad you're happy and in a good place."

"That's because I've got a lot of good people around me who care for me. One of which is my best friend who is also in a good place and who is happy."

"Happy may be an understatement right now," I comment.

"Kaylee, I love you. I class you as my sister. We all go through rough patches but they are the things that make us stronger. This will all blow over and your happy ending will come."

"I know that. Everyone keeps telling me that but you know as well as I do that happy endings don't last long when it comes to-"

"And I am going to stop you right there!" Allison quickly interjects. I sigh and wait for her to correct me. "Don't think like that. Between you and I, we're long overdue our happy endings. Listen, I need to go but we can meet up tomorrow and talk some more."

"Okay. Love you."

"Love you, too, baby girl. And don't think too much about negative things. Only think of positive things."

"I know. I know. I will."

I end the phone call and run my free hand down my face.

It's easier said than done when it comes to trying to think of only positive things when there are so many negative things going on in your life. It doesn't matter what is said or what is done right now because you can't do right for doing wrong. There's always someone waiting in the wings to turn good things into bad.

I thought being back home would help me to clear my mind but so far it isn't. Yes, I have time to do whatever I want to help take my mind off of things. Yes, I have more people here to talk to if I wish. But none of that matters. My mind is still coming up with random scenarios about the court case because Luca isn't here with me.

God knows what's happening over there and what's been said. I don't know what's happened between yesterday and today until I speak to Luca which will hopefully be at some point later today.

"Everything is going fine, Miss. Fletcher."

I look over my shoulder at Jones who walks into the kitchen and stands at the opposite side of the island.

"Carlo informed me on how things are going and everything is fine," he elaborates.

I nod and swallow hard. "Did he say anything else?"

"Only the basics."

"Which are?" I press.

I'm not trying to sound desperate for information but just knowing something, anything, would help put my mind at ease . . . for the time being.

"What we expected from Nadia and her team."

"Jones, that's not helpful at all to me."

He looks at his phone then puts in his inside jacket pocket. "I'm not supposed to say much until you speak to Mr. Madden. He doesn't want you to hear any details about the case from anyone other than him."

"Which is why you're only allowed to tell that everything is fine." I push away from the island and get to my feet. "I get it." I start walking out of the kitchen in the direction of the stairs. "Thanks anyway."

I walk up the stairs and into the master bedroom, almost slamming the door closed in frustration.

I know I need to know what's going on and Jones telling me that things are as expected and that it's going as well as can be is some news and something I did need to know. I'm just frustrated at the prospect of having to go into the courtroom at some point soon and have to look at Nadia's lying ass face after how I left things. I think I'm also frustrated at the thought of her being that close to Luca and worming her way into his mind with all her lies that could potentially get him to see things differently even though I know he won't.

I move slowly to the bed and lay down on Luca's side, discarding my phone onto my side so I can answer it easily if it goes off. My eyes close and I breathe deeply before drifting off to sleep.

The sound of my phone going off next to me has me bolting upright and answering the FaceTime call as soon as my hand finds my phone.

"Hi," Luca says softly.

I reach for the switch to turn the bedside lamp on so he can see me more clearly. I hold my phone out a little further and smile at Luca who instantly smiles back at me. "Hi."

"Did I wake you?"

"It's fine." I cover my mouth as I yawn then shake my head. "It's been one of those types of days."

"Ah, kinda like mine." He nods. He lifts a glass to his lips and takes a sip of what looks like water. "I wish I could drink something stronger but I can't. I need to be on the ball for tomorrow."

"So how is it going?" I make myself comfortable on the bed and wait for Luca's reply.

He sighs heavily and moves around until he's sitting on the couch and has a light turned on. "Well, Nadia turned up late to court." He starts. He shrugs. "Nothing surprising there, if I'm honest."

"Do you think she did it deliberately?"

"Oh, I know she did. My lawyers had a feeling she'd do that."

"So what's been happening?"

"Nothing too big. The basics like why we're there, where we currently stand, the old court files that state I have custody, the running length for everything, and my mother's part in everything. That won't be until next week, though."

I glance at my engagement ring and press my lips together. "Did I get mentioned at all?"

I watch Luca closely.

He stares at me and nods. "You did."

"And?"

"And you'll be getting called for next week."

My breath catches in my throat like I'm in shock. I'm not. I knew it was coming.

"And Nadia has added something to the case which involves you."

"It has something to do about yesterday, doesn't it?" My hand holding the phone begins to shake and I quickly move to hold the phone with my other hand.

"As long as you know the truth, that's all that matters." He assures.

"Jones is my witness that I did nothing wrong. She instigated the whole thing," I defend as if Luca won't believe me. I know he will but I can't help but say the words.

"Then it will be dealt with as soon as you and Jones say your pieces on the stand. It's a simple two against one. You'll be fine."

I breathe a sigh of relief, a breath I didn't realise I was holding in until now.

"Kaylee, I wish I was with you right now." Luca says, longing in his voice. "I wish I could hold you and reassure you everything will work out and be okay."

"Same here," I agree.

"Anyway," Luca says loudly and bit more chipper, "how's your family?"

"They're good." I smile, my mood perking up a little. "My dad is still in pain and trying to hide it but we can all see right through it."

"It's just Stan being Stan."

"No, just a Fletcher being a Fletcher." I correct.

"Yes, stubborn."

I gawk. "Cheeky git."

He sniggers.

"Nevertheless," I go on quickly, "my dad did bring something up today that did hit home for me."

"Oh, and what's that?"

"Our wedding," I answer with a grin.

He raises a brow. "What about it?"

"The things he told me got me thinking of how lucky we are to still have him here. All of which is down to you for having connections with top surgeons."

"Kaylee, you know I'd do anything for you."

"I know and it's because of you that I'll be able to walk down the aisle with my dad and have the father-daughter dance I've only ever dreamed of."

He smiles. "I think you've mistaken me for a surgeon."

"I'm not. If you weren't who you are . . . the chances of my dad being where he is today would be slim. He'd probably still be in the hospital and my mum would be working herself into the ground trying to provide for her family. If I didn't meet you again, I don't think I'd be seeing life the way I'm seeing it now."

"And what way is that?"

"That life is too short to waste time on maybes and what ifs. That we need to seize the moments that are handed to us and grab them with both hands."

He pulls back and frowns. "So . . . what are you saying?"

"I'm saying that I think we should be planning something for after this court case. Something like our wedding." I look down at my engagement ring and nod. "I think we should get married sooner rather than later."

"But don't you want to wait until the weather's better over there? The weather will be horrible." He asks, trying to throw me off the idea of getting married soon.

"I do but if we can find a venue on such short notice where the weather is nice and my dad gets the all clear to travel, I don't see why we can't have the wedding before the end of the year."

"I . . ." He exhales and smiles brightly. "Okay."

My eyes widen and my smile grows. "Okay?"

"Okay," he affirms with a nod. "I'll ask his doctors to check him over every week and I'll have Cheryl scout for locations."

I shake my head. "Nope. You're marrying a woman who does this type of thing for a living. You are not taking this away from me."

"Fine but can I suggest one place? I think you'll like it and I can even take you there to see it before you start going venue hunting."

"Depends on what and where it is."

"We'd have sole use of the entire place. The weather won't be an issue. I can fly all our guests there and put them up in my hotel."

"I'm listening."

"Fredrick owns a vineyard in Los Angeles with Jade. It where we have a house brand wine from for our hotels. It's not advertised as a wedding venue but there have been a couple of weddings there over the years. If we wanted, I'm sure Fredrick and Jade would even allow us to make our own personal bottle of wine for the wedding."

My lips pucker. "And how long have you been sitting on that idea for?"

"Not long," he answers truthfully. "I was planning on taking you there after the court case for a trip away."

"Sounds like a date."

"It most certainly is, Mrs. Madden."

"Future Mrs. Madden," I correct.

"And you'll wear the name with pride."

"I'm sure I will considering how much I have to live up to with a husband like you."

पढ़ना जारी रखें

आपको ये भी पसंदे आएँगी

1.8K 62 18
Katherine Nichols, the one that everyone knew didn't want children, agreed to become the godmother of her friend's kid. She figured that she wouldn't...
10.9K 359 41
We are moving and I didn't knew about it until now.... "You all are coming with us too. Sophie got enrolled in Architecture and Designing college of...
131 1 23
Hey Everyone Thank you for taking time to read this story For my first try I thought I would keep it light Sometimes love isn't compatible and so...
1.8M 80K 51
"Stop pretending. Boyfriend, right? With whom you'll be hanging out once Eth and your Dad are gone." I stared at him in disbelief. "What more things...