Changling Families

By LittleLadyBaker

What if Strickler had been there the whole time? What of Jim's dad left and he was a baby? What if Walt mar... More

The Changlings in Her Life
Chapter 2: Jim
Young Atlas
Chapter 4: Domzalski
The Music Teacher
Scaarbach
A Fary in Trollmarket
The Trollhunter's Secret
Love is Strange
Three Little Birds
Trouble
Betrayal
Redemption
Family
Merlin's Crime

The Eternal Night

396 7 4
By LittleLadyBaker

Otto blinked groggily as two Gumm-Gumm goons dragged him toward their master. Gunmar stood boldly in the center of the room, Usmar, the Kubera prince, stood by his side.

"Scaarbach," The Gumm-Gumm king sneered.

"Wo ist Lenora!*"Otto snarled, to angry to care who he was talking to, "Ich schwöre, wenn du sie verletzt-*"

"Such compassion. Do you honestly forget that you are only half human? Perhaps that is why you chose to side with the Trollhunter."

This did nothing to lessen Otto's snarles, "Du bist ein Monster."

"Do you think I am a monster, Scaarbach? But I can have compassion."

Otto heard his wife grunt as she was dragged forward.

"Let go of me! Let me go!"

"Lenora!"

He sprinted over and enveloped her in his arms. Lenora buried her face in his hair. 

"Das wird ok sein. Wir werden hier rauskommen," He murdered in her ear, stroking her back gently.

"You must do whatever he says," Lenora begged.

A Gumm-Gumm brought the Staff of Avalon to them.

"Take it and liberate your Eldridge Queen and you will be rewarded," Gunmar sneered, revealing yellow teeth.

Otto took a deap breath, breathing in Lenora's sent. It didn't take him a second to notice something was off.

"He promises not to hurt anyone in Arcadia," Lenora informed him, squeezing his shoulders, "Save our fami-"

Otto gripped her face and ripped off the glamour mask, "Du bist nicht meine Frauen! Wo! Ist! Lenora!*"

Guserna snarled and moved to stand beside her brother. Gunmar growled and motioned to the side. An iron cage was lifted into sight. Lenora, trapped in her fairy form, huddled inside.

"Lenora!"

"Otto!" She attempted to reach out for his hand but was burned by the iron bars, "Gah!" (1)

"Lenora!"

The Gumm-Gumm guard opened the cage door and Gunmar leaned forward to sniff the fairy. Lenora snarled back at him with almost as much ferocity as Otto.

"A brave creature. But the brave, are often the first to die."

Lenora glared up at him and ran over to Otto, hugging him every bit as tight as he hugged her. Otto breathed deaply again and took momentary comfort in the familiarity of her scent, knowing that it was truly her this time.

"Don't do anything he says, Otto. You know perfectly well we can't trust anything he says."

Otto nodded, swiping his thumbs over the small of her back, "I know, Zaubermaus. I know."

"Release your Queen, and I will let the Fairy go," Gunmar promised.

Otto stiffened. If he let Lenora go she would be able to warn Walt and the others. She would be safe. Their children would be safe.

Lenora noticed her husband's change, "Otto, no. Don't even think about it. I'm not going anywhere without you and you know it. I will not raise our children without you."

Otto leaned back and looked into her eyes, "But I can't loose you. I lost my family vvonce before. I can't do it again. I love you, Lenora. Enough to risk ze vvorld."

He turned and took the staff. Usmar held Lenora back.

"Otto! Don't!" She begged.

"Es tut mir leid, Lenora*," tears rolled down his cheeks, "Mögen die Welt mir vergeben*."

He began to chant the spell.

"Please, Bußibar," Lenora choked out.

Just as he finished, Otto had a plan.

"Close your eyes, Lenora!"

He threw his whole body into turning the staff away from the Heartstone. Then, in a flash of blue light, a blue eyes tiger stood in his place. With the Gumm-Gumms momentarily blinded, he dived between Lenora's legs and bound towards the crystal staircase.

"Hold on tight, Zaubermaus!" 

Lenora wrapped her arms around his neck and clung to the white ruff on his chest. Her face was buried in in the black and orange fur of his neck. Otto lept up the steps, ignoring hat Gumm-Gumms that were right behind him. Lenora opened the portal and they burst into the sunlight.

"Otto! Lenora!" Nomura slid down the side of the canal with Erik in a shaded carrier, "What just happened?"

Lenora slid off his back and he turned human once more,"Guserna and Usmar ambushed us when we went to the museum to look for you." 

Nomura sighed, "We need to get back to the house. Toby and Mary were a mess the second they realized what happened. Everyone is out looking for you."

They all began making their way back to the Strickler house, Otto's hand on the small of Lenora's back. They arrived just in time to see Detective Scott leading Merlin out of the house. 

"What did we miss?" Lenora asked.

"Mama!" Toby and Mary lept at their parents, "Papa!"

Otto and Lenora clung to thier children.

"Merlin tried to do something to the children," Barbara explained.

Walt growled and held his wife and son more protectively.

"I've never seen you that angry before, Da," Jim said.

"And I wish you hadn't, Young Atlas."

"Vvalt," Otto hung his head, "I-I released Morgana. I'm sorry. He-Gunmar had-"

"Otto! It's alright," Walt motioned for his brother to calm down, "We'll just have to plan more carefully."

LLB

Walt and Otto drove the Young Trollhunters home from school on the last day. Lenora stayed behind to "finish taking down classroom decorations" aka to cover for her family. Now, everyone was gathered at the Strickler house once more. 

"The Gumm-Gumms will be drawn to the largest crowd," Blinky noted.

"The Battle of the Bands!" Claire remembered, "Everyone is going to be there!"

Walt nodded as Blinky added monopoly pieces to represent the crowd. The Trollhunter hadn't said a word since they had started planning. The house shook.

"That's the third one today," Draal noted.

"Da. What all these quakes damage the The Dark Lands?"

"They will," Angor entered the room, carrying a large yellow crystal, "That's why I made this cradle stone. Apparently getting my soul back means that I have gone soft."

"And who exactly would we be sending into the Darkland?"Blinky asked, arms crossed.

"There is only one among us who is small enough to fit threw the fetch," Angor handed the cradle stone to Erik.

"No."

Nomura picked her son up and held him to her chest. Erik, being human for the time, fisted one hand around the lapel of her shirt. Draal put one hand on her back.

"He's a whelp. I was in that Hell hole just a few months ago. In what world letting him go in alone make any sense?!"

"Since it's that or every familiar dying in the Darklands!"

"Ma," Erik tugged on her lapel, "I can do this. I know a guy who can lead me threw."

He pulled off his glamour mask and lept out of her arms and onto the table, "I want to help."

Nomura pinched her nose and sighed, "Fine. Fine. But if you die I'm going to kill you."

"I have a better idea," Draal said, "We'll send my father after him. Grandpa Kanjigar may not be so easy to deal with."

Erik smiled and lept into his mother's arms once more. Nomura rolled her eyes and pressed her human nose against his troll one. Only then did Erik take the cradle Stone and scamper off.

Nomura shook her head, "I'm an awful parent."

"He'll be fine," Otto assured her, "but, now, vve need to vvorie about vvhat vve are going to do about 'Müder'."

"I actually have a plan," Walt spoke up, "And it will keep the Young Trollhunters out of the fight."

"I don't think I like where this is going, Walt," Barbara crossed her arms.

"I think the Young Trollhunters should confront Morgana."

"No."

"Bar-" 

"No, Walter! We have no idea what she would do to them! Just because Merlin turned out to be bad doesn't mean Morgan will be good."

"Mum," Jim interrupted, "I think Da's right. We should confront her."

"We might be able to get threw to her," Mary agreed.

"And we'll have something no one else will," Toby threw one arm around Jim, "The child of the first changling!"

"It's our best shot," Walt put his hand on Barbara's shoulder, "But, your mother is right. There is no way of knowing if any of that will actually help you. You will have to be careful. We are all going to be busy with Gunmar and the Gumm-Gumms."

Jim nodded, "I have a plan, too, Da. You can trust us. And if it works we'll have a little more help defeating the Gumm-Gumms."

"More help..." Draal muttered, "I have an idea!"

LLB

Walt, Barbara, Otto, and Nomura walked into the abandoned theater. They made a beeline for the projector room and nocked on the door. Bagdwella answered.

"Dewlla, is Bular in?" Barbara asked.

"I'm right here, Trollhunters." 

The former Gumm-Gumm stood behind his mate and placed one giant hand on her shoulder. Bagdwella rest her hands over her rounded belly.

"What can we do for you all?" She asked.

Otto stepped forward and presented Bular's dual swords. Bular stared at them.

"But...my vows?"

"For tonight and for as long as the Eternal Night lasts. We lift them for one purpose," Walt declared and looked from Bular to Bagdwella, "Fight for Trollmarket. Protect your family and ensure that they will have a home."

Bular looked down at Bagdwella and stepped forward, the trees offering enough shade for him to leave the hut. He took the swords from Otto and inspected them. Then he tucked one under the opposite arm and planted the tip of the other into the ground.

"Until my vow replaced, or death take me, I shall defend Trollmarket."

Walt smiled sadly, "I'm sorry that was have to ask you to fight your father."

Bular straightened, "Anyone who threatens my family is not a part of it. My Father, my sisters, my brother. They all lost my favor the day they targeted Dewlly. I will do anything for her and our whelp."

Nomura ducked her head.

"I can make exemptions for those who prove they deserve it, Nomura," Bular chuckled, placing one hand on her shoulder. 

LLB

Walt, Otto, and Nomura stood among the students at the battle of the bands while Claire attempted to get everyone to leave. They had no idea when the Eternal Night would start, just that they had to evacuate the square before it did. Toby, Mary, and Jim were waiting in the forest by the canal to enter Trollmarket. Angor, Bular, Blinky, Arrrgh, and Draal were waiting in the sewers.

There had been some debate about whether Barbara should be in the battle or at the hospital. She had eventually decided that she would go to the hospital, using the shadow staff to port people to safe, and she could join the fight if needed.

Suddenly, a pillar of black smoke shot into the sky and blocked out the sun. Walt couldn't help being reminded of Pompeii. He exchanged a look with his brother and sister and all three of them transformed. The Eternal Night had begun and with it, the War for the world.

LLB

Lenora watched as the battle outside began. Which a groan of frustration she turned to her coworkers.

"Karl, Lawrence, will you help me?"

The men exchanged a look.

"Why?"

"Vvith vvat, Lenora?"

"Because I can't just stand around while my friends are in danger like this! We need to get them to safety!"

"Who?" Lawrence demanded.

"Not all the rock monsters out there are bad. Some of them are good. And a lot of them have children. Some have eggs and I know for a fact that one is pregnant. Now, are you going to help me or not?"

The teachers were silent for a moment.

"VVe can use Susana!" 

Lenora grinned and ran out the front gates of the school, "Otto!"

Her husband was in his natural troll form, tall and blue with long ears.

"Zaubermaus! Get inside! You shouldn't be out here!"

He ran over to her.

Lenora grabbed his arms, "Karl and Lawrence are going to help me get the Trollmarketers to the school."

Otto lifted her into his arms, "You are a miracle, Zaubermaus."

Lenora chucked, cupped his face, and kissed him hard. He pulled her closer and her hands slipped down around his neck. For just a moment, there was no battle to worry about. Eventually, they parted, forheads pressed together.(2)

"I'll do my best to lead zem zis vvay," Otto whispered, "You take ze vvhelps in ze truck."

"Alright."

Lenora kissed him one more time before Otto set her back on the ground and ran off, ears flapping behind him. Lenora smiled and turned around. Karl and Lawrence were staring at her.

"You just kissed that!" Lawrence screeched.

"Of course I did," Lenora transformed and flew to the bed of the truck, "He's my husband. Now, let's go!"

Karl shook himself out of his stupor and floored it out of the school parking lot. They rounded up as many trolls as they could find. They took whelps and birthstones into the bed of Susana and they lead everyone to the Highschool. At the Highschool, they hid everyone in the gym.

LLB 

Jim, Toby, and Mary watched as the Gumm-Gumms flooded out of Trollmarket.

"I don't know if this is such a good idea, Atlas," Mary squeaked.

"Chaka kacka!" Fragwa agreed.

"War Hammer, Ariel, Fragwa, Our families are out there fighting Gumm-Gumms," Jim reminded them,"We are the only ones that can. Besides, we all agreed to this. Now, let's go!"

Jim led his cousins and their goblin into the underground city. They all found thier way to the Heartstone.

"Young Trollhunters," a woman's voice filled the air, "How cute."

"Morgana?"Toby mouthed.

Jim nodded and they entered the Heartstone. Immediately, golden balls of magic energy flew at them. They were forced to dodge.

"What parents send their children to fight their battles?"

"Parents who are fighting their own battle!" Mary shouted.

"We just wanna talk," Toby added.

"Talk?" Morgana cackled, "What could you possibly have to talk about?"

"Merlin had been arrested!" Mary insisted, "and without his magic he won't be a threat anymore!"

The Magic energy stopped.

"Why would you want to get rid of Merlin? Your father is his champion!"

"Because," Jim stepped forward and transformed, "I am James Atlas Stricklander. My father is the first Changling. Both of our dads are changlings."

Morgana landed in front of the three teens. Her green eyes were wide as she reached out and touched his wings.

"Stricklander? You-You're Wally's son?"

"Yeah," Jim chuckled, "And Toby and Mary are my cousins. Da took their Papa as his brother and they took our Aunt Nono as their sister. We have another cousin named Erik."

Morgana smiled, "Your mother is the one with my Staff."

"Yeah, but now our parents are out there fighting Gunmar," Toby pipped up," Can you help them?"

Morgana looked at each of her grandchildren. She reached up and unlatched her helmet, letting her light red locks cascade down her back.

"Let's end this. I have a feeling I have a few long conversations ahead of me."

LLB

"Do vve have everyvvone?" Karl asked.

"I think so," Lenora replied, "Let me just double check. Hey! Does anyone have Blinky and Arrrgh's birthstone?"

"I do," Vendal shouted.

"Thank you! Yep. That's every- OH SHIT! Has anyone seen Bagdwella?!"

Panicked shouts erupted from the Trollmarketers as they all searched for the missing Trolless.

"Who's Bagdwella, Lenora?" 

Lenora pointed out the window, "You see that big black troll over there? Bagdwella is his wife. She's the pregnant troll I told you about. If anything happens to her, Bular will kill us."

Lawrence and Karl looked ready to pass out.

"You two see if she's around here. I'm going to recruit Otto to help find her."

Lenora sprinted out the door and flew threw the battle. She soon found Otto wrestling with a Gumm-Gumm. 

"Otto! Have you seen Bagdwella?"

"Ich bin ein bisschen beschäftigt, Lenora!" He ripped the Gumm-Gumm's head off and tossed it over his shoulder, "Was?"

"Bagdwella is missing! Have you seen her?"

"Schieße!"

"Crap! I'm going to check with Barbara."

"If she is vviz Barbara zen vve are dead!"

"Then you look for her out here while I look at the hospital. We have to find her before-" 

There was a monstrous roar and Walt pushed Gunmar off the Museum roof. The Gumm-Gumm shattered on the pavement.

"Wir werden sterben."

"You check the theater I'll check the hospital!" 

The couple ran in opposite directions. Lenora burst into the hospital.

"Barbara! Barbara! Have you seen Bagdw-"

Barbara was crouched at the foot of a rolling bed, binding one of Bagdwella's ankles. Bagdwella propped herself up with one hand and rest her other hand over her belly.

"Bagdwella! We were all worried sick! Come on. Everyone is at the school. We need to get you there before the Eternal Night ends."

"I'm fine! I just cracked my ankle."

"She won't be walking anywhere, Lenora. Unless you have a better way of transporting her-"

"Lenora!"Karl ran in, "I-Is that Bagdwella?"

"Yes, she is. Can you give us a lift back to the school? Bagdwella can't walk and if she touches sunlight she'll die."

"I think vve can take her in Susana. But I don't have a camper cover."

"I can take care of that. Come on Bagdwella."

Lenora waved her hand and created a pair of crutches for her friend. Bagdwella hobbled outside to the truck. Lenora waved her hand again and created a roof over the bed of the truck. Bagdwella settled in and waited for them to arrive at the Highschool. 

Bular, Walt, Otto and the others were all waiting for them.

"Dwelly!" 

Lenora helped Bagdwella out of the truck and Bular scooped her into his arms. The two trolls kissed happily before Bular lowered himself to nuzzle Bagdwella's belly.

"Oh!"Bagdwella gasped, "They kicked! The whelp kicked!"

Tears were visible in Bular's eyes as he kissed his mate once more. Otto wrapped Lenora warmly in his arms, turning human as he went. A portal opened and Barbara stepped threw.

"Da! Mum!"

"Mama! Papa!"

"Ma! Da!"

The Young Trollhunters ran up, Morgana hot on their heels. The parents were quick to envelop their children in comforting hugs. Vandal even came forward and returned the birthstone to Blinky and Arrrgh.

"We did it!"

"We stopped the Eternal Night!"

"You defeated Gunmar!"

"We save the world!"

Walt wrapped his wings around Jim and Barbara. The Scaarbachs devolved into German. Nomura tossed Erik above her head only for Draal to snatch him out of the air.

"W-Wally?"

He looked up at the sorceress in front of them. Morgana was staring at him.

"Mor- Mu- um...Mum?"

Morgana cupped his cheek for a moment, "When I first saw him, I thought Jim was you. You look so much alike."

Barbara laughed, "It's unbelievable how often we hear that."

"Trollmarket gone." Arrrgh suddenly said, arms still around Blinky and their birthstone, "Heartstone...gone."(3)

"We'll...have to find a new one then..." Walt declared.

"But Da," Jim looked up, "That would mean leaving Arcadia."

"I know, Young Atlas."

"That would mean leaving... us."

Walt hugged his wife and son closer. He didn't speak. He couldn't.

"I could fix it."

All eyes turned to Morgana, "What?"

"I could fix the Heartstone. It problebly wouldn't even take more then a year. Especially if I have help."

"You vvould do zat?" Otto spoke up.

"Of course I would. What kind of monster would I be if I made you travel across the country, leaving behind everyone and everything you love, for something that might not even be there? Who would do such a thing?"

"So...we get to stay in Arcadia?" Toby asked, looking up at his parents.

"Yes," Walt stood to his full height, "We'll start rebuilding Trollmarket at nightfall."

LLB

AN: Here it is! The last chapter of Changling Families! Keep an eye out for it's sequel Changling Families Continue! TTFN Ta ta for now!

1) I read somewhere that iron hurts fairies. I thought it would be a nice touch.

2) Did I watch to much Sharpe before writing this? Probably. Do I regret it? Nope.

3) You get a family, and you get a family, everyone gets a family! Even the bad guys get families!

German translations:

Wo ist Lenora!:Where is Lenora!

Ich schwöre, wenn du sie verletzt- : I swear, if you hurt her-

Du bist nicht meine Frauen! Wo! Ist! Lenora!: You are not my wife. Where! Is! Lenora!

Es tut mir leid, Lenora: I'm sorry, Lenora.

Mögen die Welt mir Vergeben: May the world forgive me.

Ich bin ein bisschen beschäftigt, Lenora: I'm a little busy, Lenora!

Wir werden sterben: we are going to die.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.3K 537 22
What if right before Jim became a troll,Claire had a secret. After the big fight with Gunmar,they planned on going to New Jersey to search for a new...
512 3 19
Changelings are all over Archadia but what if they had more influence on the trollhunter's journey? (Trollhunters AU) I do not own Trollhunters. Or...
Chosen By moonpie

Fanfiction

23.4K 676 35
You were abandoned at the doorstep of Trollmarket as a child and the year you turn sixteen, many interesting things begin to happen. Jim Lake x Femal...
94K 2.5K 67
For so long, James Lake Jr. believed there was just one Trollhunter passed on for decades and centuries. At Midnight, he caught many sightings. They...