Drowning In Desire ***COMPLE...

By TracyRichards87

He saved her from drowning... Who will save her from him... Matthew Weldrick must marry and produce... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15

Chapter 6

6.1K 255 9
By TracyRichards87

Abigail spent the next day in a fit. She was being pulled in two different directions. On one hand if she accepted Matthews offer they would no longer have to worry about where they would get there next meal from. If she did then it would be even harder for her to marry later.

Would it be worth it to make sure the children were taken care of . Could she be with him knowing she would never be his wife. Would it be enough. She wasn't sure it would. She wasn't sure she would be able to be with anyone else after him. He already was burrowing deep within her soul and planted the seed of love, and each passing day it grew stronger.

With a heavy sigh she continued her chores that were now restricted to the house to keep a close eye on Mary in case she needed anything. Which seemed like every ten minutes she was yelling for this or that. How was she to get anything done today. She had to remember that she was only five and would overreact to every little situation. Sure she would find that now Mary's legs no longer worked. It was funny later on but for now it annoyed her to no end.

When she was finally resting. Abigail took her chance and took the vegetables to the general store to trade for what they needed. She walked the path back to town contemplating her situation. As she walked along the streets of the village she noticed that she was being avoided by the townsfolk. Some of the mothers even pulled their children to the other side of the street avoiding any kind of eye contact. Each whispered to each other even going so far as to point in her direction.

Abigail hugged her basket to her chest and hurried to the general store. She arrived a few moments later, she headed straight to the local supplier and asked to trade her crop for the few necessary items that they would be needing soon.  Before she could even make request, he turned his back on her and helped other patrons. Confused she waited for him to finish even though everyone stared openly at her.

She was fed up with whatever had turned everyone's attitude toward her and decided to take her business elsewhere. As she moved passed the other patrons a women spat at her feet as she walked by.

"Trollop!" She spat out in a venomous tone.

Shocked at the hateful women calling her such a disgraceful thing she spun around and stared at the women. "Beg your pardon, ma'am?" She hoped that she had heard her wrong. She knew the truth before the woman confirmed it.

"Hedge-creeper!" She looked between each lady in her party. "We know the Duke of Harrington has been visiting your farm quite frequently. There is only one reason for a man of his station to visit people like you." Each word dripped with contempt. Every patron nodded in agreement.

"Your type are not welcome here." The shopkeeper added leaving Abigail in such a state of shock she barely stumbled out the door. After a few feet she choked back a sob. She was damned if she did and now damned if she didn't.

She slowly walked back to the farm in a daze. Well if the whole village thought that she was his mistress because of her lack of title. She would not starve for the sake of her vanity. Squaring her shoulders she carried herself with pride the rest of the way. She might not be able to marry him but she could make a good life for them while it lasted.

. . .

The next day Abigail was all nerves. Mary finally decided she played sick enough and wanted out of the bed. Abby almost wished she would have stayed in bed for she was constantly underfoot. Setting her nerves on end as if they weren't already.

Having a few extra days to prepare for the dinner Abigail mended all the children's clothes and fixed the décolletage of her mother's dress to accommodate her size. The day seemed to drag on with each chore finished the time ticked closer to when when she would see him. He would be waiting for an answer that she wasn't sure she was ready to give him. Her stomach knotted with butterflies.

As the time drew near they all dressed in their best and waited by the hearth. Abigail read to them from one of their fathers books as they waited. The crunch of earth outside soon followed after a few moments. With as much calm she could muster Abby laid the book down and stood smoothing her skirts she clasped her hands waiting in anticipation.

Mary ran to the window and squealed in excitement. "It's him, Abby!" She bounded around the room and out the door when Phillip opened it.

Abigail rolled her eyes and followed them out to the front yard. Greetings were friendly enough until Matthew stood in front of Abigail heat filled his eyes as he looked upon her. He wanted to directly ask her if she had thought about his proposal, but the children looked on.

"You are stunning as always." He bent and placed a kiss on her extended hand.

Before she could say anything in response Mary decided to share her thoughts. "It's because she is wearing my mommies dress. Accept she had to make the top part bigger to fit." She smiled at Matthew with such innocents.

Abigail's cheeks flamed with embarrassment more from the fact she had to wear her mother's dress than the fact she was well endowed.

Matthew didn't notice he grinned from ear to ear. "I'm sure your mother was just as beautiful as Abigail."

Mary nodded in agreement. "Yes, sir, she sure was." Without another word she bounded for the coach and scurried in followed by Harry then Phillip. Leaving Matthew and Abigail alone for a few moments. They each looked at each other and some understanding passed between them. He took her hand and helped her into the coach and followed her in. They set off to visit Weldrick Hall for the first time.

As they approached the Duke's country estate of Weldrick Hall each one looked out the windows in awe. The garden's surrounding the mansion, for that is what anyone would describe the home, were lavish even for the fall weather. The exterior was made from bricks and large columns met them as the coach drove up the front steps to the largest doors any of them have ever seen.

They each were handed out of the coach by his butler and they waited to be introduced to each of the main house head staff. It was a whirlwind of names, faces and new exciting environment that it all went in but left as soon as more information was given.

Matthew decided to take them on a tour of the house himself before dinner was ready, The children jaws had dropped as soon as they seen the house and has never moved back into place. Each room was more lavish as the last with its own history and specific use for the day to day trials of a Duke. When they reached the second floor with the bedrooms Abigail was hesitant to follow even though she really wished to see his bed chambers. Only for the history and aesthetics she told herself. He didn't show them where they were but he did tell them where it was located within the house in relation to where the other four rooms he did show them. Each one was decorated in a different way to suit a certain personality.

The dinner was announced and they abandoned the tour to make there way to the dining hall. As they entered the table was long and lavish with candles, linens, and fine china with pure silver platters, goblets and utensils. They sat in a daze. Matthew at the head of the table with Abigail to his right, Mary beside her and Phillip and Harry on the opposite side.

Platters of food was ushered in and portioned on each plate, goblets were filled with sweet wine and spiced tea for the children. When all activity died down they each followed Matthew by collecting the correct utensil for each dish and proceeded to stuff themselves till bursting. Dinner seemed to last forever. Each time they thought they were done more food was brought out and it seemed to start all over just with a different utensil to be used.

When dessert was consumed and Matthew deemed they were done they all retired to the study for a few lessons in Whist. After some time Abigail noticed how late it was as the clock chimed nine. Mary was already asleep on the settee by the fire, Harry consumed by the books was curled in a chair scanning each page while Phillip was being schooled by Matthew in chess. She hated to interpret. When had they had this much fun.

She moved behind Matthew and watched him move his pawn and explain to Phillip why he did what he did. She smiled as she watched her family take in Matthew's life in stride. Well one would assume moving up in life was an easier adjustment than the opposite.

"Your Grace, It is getting late. We really should be going." Abigail touched Matthews shoulder and squeezed. He turned and smiled up at her. He placed his hand upon hers.

"The rooms upstairs are for you and the children. I will send you back in the morning." At the gasp of both boys he knew he made the right choice to let them spend the night at Weldrick Hall.

With a pull of a red rope with a golden tassel that dangled at the end a maid showed up at the door to the study. "Your Grace?" She curtsied and awaited orders.

"Please show the boys to their rooms. Have someone carry Mary to hers."

The maid left the room for only a few seconds and came back to collect the boys followed by a robust man that picked up Mary like a sack of potatoes and followed them all out. Leaving Matthew and Abigail alone once more.

As she watched the children leave the room her nerves took control of her body. She sat down on the settee in front of the fire and stared into its depths. She was miles away when she felt the cushions dip from his weight. She continued to look ahead knowing if she looked at him she would never have the courage to tell him.

"I have thought about your proposal." She paused trying to form the right words. None came, so she bluntly told him what he waited to hear. "My answer is yes."

Before she could say anything else he grabbed her face and kissed her deeply. She pulled away from him. "I must explain that I am doing this to give the children a better life than what I can provide them right now."

Desire smoldered in his eyes as he scanned her face. "Is that the only reason?"

Her eyes narrowed. "What other reason would there be?"

"Your desire for me is a good start." His hand had moved to her thigh and was moving slowly up towards the inside of her thigh.

She stood instantly to bring some distance between them. She would lose all thought it he kept it up. "That may be why you asked me in the first place, but I have more than just my desire to think about. Those three come first. I am all that they have and I must know that they will be provided for before anything commences." She stood proud in front of him. "I may be poor and without a title but I am no fool. I must have assurance that while I am your," she waved her hand through the air unwilling to label herself, "that the children and myself are assured of some form of compensation."

He nodded in acknowledgement and rose from the settee. He gave her no response and left her standing waiting. Behind his desk of mahogany oak that looked bigger than the room it was put in he pulled a piece of parchment out and proceeded to write upon it.

Abigail was never considered a patient person and not knowing what Matthew was doing was killing her. She moved closer to his desk and watched him. He wrote for a few moments longer and signed his name to the bottom. He handed her the document to read.

"Can you read?" He didn't let go of the paper till she answered him. His question was legitimate since most people that weren't previllaged could not read and write. It still felt like a insult towards her and showed just how different she was than him.

"I can." He let go of the document for her to take it. "Our mother came from a long line of ladies maids that required their servants to be educated. She married our father for love and lost her position. She made sure that her children learned just as much in hopes that we could better ourselves." She moved away with the parchment in hand back to the fire where the light was more suitable for reading. She read the document, then re-read it to make sure she wasn't misinterpreting it. Her mouth fell open in shock, she covered it with her hand.

Matthew watched her as the knowledge of what he was willing to do to have her set in. He came up behind her and husky whispered in her ear. " Is that enough compensation?" She turned towards him and his arms encircled her. Her eyes glistened with unshed tears as she gazed at him.

"It is too much." She tried to hand the document to him but he refused to take it.

Matthew shook his head in amusement. "Will I ever understand what you want, Abby? First you require proof of compensation and when I provide it you complain it's too much."

She opened her mouth to speak but he placed his index finger over her lips to hush her. "You are worth every bit." He leaned in to replace his finger with his lips. He kissed her tenderly at first until he felt her respond in kind. The kiss turned deep as passion ruled them both. His tongue delved into her mouth as desire spiked through her body. Hesitantly she followed suite and slipped her tongue between his lips. His moan was all the evidence she needed to know he enjoyed it.

The parchment fluttered to the floor so she could run her hands along his chest. Feeling the muscles play under his hands made her bold and wanton. She ran them through the hair at the nape of his neck and pulled him closer against her.

Her moan escaped her lips as he fought for some self control. He pulled away and glanced at the most beautiful face he had ever seen. Abigail's face was flush with desire, her lips plump from his kisses and her eyes were glazed over with unleashed passion. He wanted nothing more than to take her on the settee but not for her first time. She deserved to have it done properly in a bed, preferably his bed and done tenderly.

Matthew bent down and picked up the discarded document. Grabbing her hand he led her back to the desk and placed a quill in and. "Sign your name under mine and I will have my solicitor take care of these tomorrow."

In a daze she signed in the designated area and placed the quill down. She focused on her name as it jumped off the paper mocking her.

Mistress, she sold herself.

She now belonged to the man beside her. Not in name or title but in body only. She looked at Matthew as he folded up the document and placed it in his top drawer. He was everything she ever wanted in a husband, good looking, kind, generous and most of all he cared for her siblings. Enough so that he has agreed to pay their education even if their arrangement has ended. He was her savior in more ways than one. If she was not careful she would find herself falling in love.

Matthew came around the desk and took her hand. He brought it to his lips and kissed the inside of her wrist. Without saying a word he pulled her behind him out of his study and to the second floor. Abigail's heart raced. Would they seal the agreement tonight. They passed each door that the children were shown as they headed deeper into the house. She remembered his explanation on where his bed chambers were. They moved down the hall to the very end and entered a large chamber.

The room was warm and inviting with rich purples and cool ivory and cream decorated the wall and floors. The fire crackled and invited you in to stay. The room was feminine which she was surprised that it was to be his room.

He pulled her in and locked the door behind them. Abigail walked around the room eyeing the trinkets and knick knacks that laid upon each furniture. A comb inlaid with pearls, a brush backed with mother of pearl and a jewelry box ornately carved gave away the room as a women's. Could this be where his previous or current mistress stays. The thought of him having more than one made her feel sick to her stomach.

Matthew watched her hands glide over the jewelry box.

"You will be able to put your jewels in there."

She laughed at him. "I don't own any jewels" She stated matter of factly.

"You will." Was all he said in regards.

"So, this is my room?" She walked around in wonder with a whole new appreciation for each piece in the room. Her favorite was the largest bed she had ever seen. She walked round it touching each post of the four post bed before sitting on its edge. It was nothing like there straw beds. She could just melt into it.

Matthew watched her from his perch against the fireplace mantel. The spray of emotions that crossed her face made him giddy just as the gift of the furniture had. He enjoyed making her happy. He watched her bounce up and down on the bed.

"Go ahead and try it out. Let me know if it is suitable." Grinning he watched her curl atop of the coverings as she settled in. After she was done he would show her to his room and where she would stay the rest of the night.

A few minutes passed as Abigail didn't move from her position on the bed. Matthew pushed off from the wall and walked over to Abigail asleep in the bed. She must have been exhausted to fall asleep so fast. He watched her for a few minutes longer before he grabbed the blanket from a nearby chair and gentle covered her sleeping form. Tomorrow would be soon enough.

. . .

William watched as the two men loaded their horses to head out the next morning. Unsure of how far they planned to travel William used part of his winnings to hire a horse. If it was not returned within the three day allotment he paid for, the cost would be double upon return. He hoped it wouldn't take more than that to dispense of his sibling.

He mounted the horse and waited a few good paces before venturing out into the open to follow them. They made there way north out of London and into the countryside. William had to ease back now that they were the only one's on the road.

Hours went by and the two men continued to travel without letting up. He was becoming weary, he was unaccustomed to traveling such distances his body began to ack. It was past midday before they stopped to water the horses by a nearby stream that ran adjacent to the road.

William gently slide from his horse and tethered the mare to a tree some distance from them along the creek. He creeped towards their camp only a few yards away he crouched behind bushes hoping to learn more knowledge. Preferably how long he would be on that blasted animal.

Only the one called Gus was visible from his position. He watched as he chewed on a piece of dried meat whole brushing down his horse. William's stomach growled as he watched. He didn't bring any rations for he didn't prepare for a whole day's journey. He continued to watch Gus, wondering what happened to the other man when he heard a stick behind him snap. He turned just in time for to witness the butt of the man's pistol slam into his face rendering him unconscious.

. . .

William awoke to the two men talking among themselves. He remained still in hopes they would divulge something useful to his cause. He listened intently ignoring the stabbing pain in his head.

"We should be in there by tomorrow. If we dump our new baggage along the way." William winced when he heard them talk about killing him.

"But Jake, maybe we could use him." Gus didn't seem to willing to kill him right away, he might be able to use that to his advantage.

"Bloody bastard will only get in our way. I say we kill him now and be on our way." William hoped Gus could talk his bloodthirsty friend out of it. He held his breath waiting.

A long pause happened before Gus gave his thoughts on the matter. "If we agree to take him with us and all three of us collect our reward. We could kill him after he collects his and we split it." William could almost picture the grins both of them had. He was also happy with that plan. That gave him plenty of time to figure a way out of his new mess.

Jake came over and kicked him awake. William faked grogginess and winced in real pain when he sat up. His head throbbed. His arms were bound behind him but they left his legs free. He noticed his horse was now tethered with theirs.

Jake leaned down with his knife in hand pointed it at William. The look on his face was passive. Had he just told Gus what he wanted to hear? Was this how he was going to die? William cringed back as Jake leaned down and swiped the blade behind him slicing his binds. The knife moved towards his throat and he gulped in response. The blade pressed into his skin and a drop of blood sprang to the surface of his flesh sliding down his throat. Jake leaned into his face close enough he could smell dried meat on his breath.

"Ye, be gettin on yer horse and riding with us." Jake removed the knife and pointed at the horse with it. William knew no reply was necessary that it was a statement that if he didn't then he would die right then. He decided to do what they wanted for now.

All three mounted and proceeded down the road with William between Gus and Jake as Gus lead the way then him and Jake took the rear. He hoped he wouldn't find a knife stuck in his back before he could come u with a new plan.

They rode hard the rest of the day leaving William unable to feel the bottom half of his body. They would rest at The Lonely Shepherd tavern for the night before traveling on in the early dawn. William found a table and ordered food and drink as soon as his rear hi the seat. He was in much need of a tankard of ale and some substance.

Jake sat across from him and followed suite while Gus made arrangements for accommodations. He returned to the table and the tankards were delivered by a most pleasing looking wench. She brushed up against Gus as she slide his into his hands. Leaning into him she whispered into his ear. His response was to grab her behind as she turned to leave making the girl giggle in response.

Jake watched unamused. "Well, did ye have any luck?"

Gus shook his head. "Never heard of any Septhon's or Willhoite's in the area."

"Didn't think it would be that easy did yea?"

"A guy could hope." Gus took a drink then pulled the wench on his lap as she walked by. She played to try to get away but giggled as he fondled her chest before letting her go.

They finished their meals in silence and retired for the night. William did contemplate leaving early but decided against it. When he noticed that Gus only paid for two rooms. They made their way up the stairs of the tavern Gus escorting the wench to a room he slammed the door behind him. That left William alone with Jake in the hall unsure of what room to enter. He felt a sharp blade at his side.

"You will be bunking with me." Jake sneered in his ear. He pushed him forward. "Get movin." Snarling he shoved him into the adjacent room shutting the door behind him. "Listen here, ye best not do anything funny. Ye try to leave and I cut yer throat." He swiped the knife at him making William leap away from Jake. He laughed at William.

Jake moved to the bed and threw a pillow at William. "Ye take the floor."William cringed to himself. The last time de sleeped on the floor he was so intoxicated he couldn't find a proper bed. He wished at this moment he could be drunk. He laid down on the floor and stared at the ceiling. He vowed that these two would meet their maker sooner than they expected.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.6K 949 43
BOOK I The King. No one knows his name nor seen his face. They call him cruel, frightening, and won't show his face to his people. Taking over his fa...
68.3K 3.3K 27
This story takes place in England, 1760, some years before lady Georgia sadly married Lord Walter Pearson at the young age of sixteen. Four years la...
500K 22.1K 28
[COMPLETED] At the age of 15, Miss Charity Chadwick is tricked into marriage. Her new husband, unhappy with their union, banishes her to his north...
353K 24.8K 33
With her reputation in tatters and a baby to look after, Catherine Balley is given a single chance at redemption: marry the man she once betrayed, a...