Tale as Old as Time

Από IceQueenOriginal

Prince Virgil has been cursed and transformed into a hideous. He needs to fall in love and earn the boy's lov... Περισσότερα

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 3
Be Our Guest

Chapter 2

38 1 0
Από IceQueenOriginal

Please read my co-creators comic before reading this chapter to understand the order of events: https://lrnightingale.tumblr.com/post/184026184201/to-be-continued-so-do-you 

~

Two days. Thomas was only gone for two days.

Roman had just gotten comfortable living alone. He spent more of his time inside, just reading. He had really no reason to go out. He had plenty of food, he had the book that he now owned and Thomas' rough drafts, plus he really did not want to run into Decarus.

Today, he chose to read outside since the weather was one of those rare fall days where the air was crisp but not cold. Roman was so relaxed that butterflies began to rest on him, almost as if they were reading along with him.

So you can only imagine his reaction when he heard someone scream "RUNAWAY HORSE!" and saw Foster running to him with no Thomas.

Roman held Foster's harness gently as he looked the horse in the eyes, as well as a person could do with a horse "What happened?! Where's my father?!"

The horse let out a whimper and looked down, almost as if he was ashamed of himself.

Roman's panic only grew at Foster's reaction "We have to find him! You have to take me to him! Please!"

The horse nodded, making Roman sigh of relief. Roman ran to the back of the horse and unhooked the wagon attached to Foster. Roman placed his hands on Foster to push himself up and onto his back when he feels the horse's coat is wet and cold. "Oh, what happened...? Stay here boy, I'm going to get my cloak." Roman scooped up his book and ran into the house.

Throwing the book down and onto, Roman ran to the coat hanger and practically ripped his red cloak off of it. He ran into the kitchen and began to place some bread and cheese in a large cloth, Thomas would be angry with him if he left without any sort of preparations.

Just then, a loud banging could be heard at the door. Roman smiled and ran over to it joyfully. He was ready to laugh with his father about falling off of Foster and having walk back to tell him the great news of how his play was greenlighted and they could move immediately.

Instead, when Roman opened the door, he saw Decarus in a yellow and black suit with a small box in his hand.

Roman was beyond frustrated at this point, he had no idea where his father was and Decarus was here to no doubt bother him.

His words reflected this "What do you want?!"

Decarus smirked, "Looks like someone is a great mood."

Roman sighed "I don't have time for this." Roman attempted to close the door on Decarus but he pushed his way through, nearly knocking Roman over in the process.

"Whatever important business you have to attend to, it can wait. I'm here to make a...proposition." Decarus straighten out his jacket and slowly walked towards Roman. "I want you to picture this. A beautiful and large cabin." He was attempting to pin Roman to the back wall. "A fire roasting my latest kill--"

Roman rolled his eyes and raised his hand to silence the man in front of him. "Look Decarus, no one's here right now to watch you be 'perfect and smooth', so just cut the crap and tell me what you want." Roman crossed his arms and tapped his foot impatiently. Every second Roman put up with this meant less time to find his father.

Decarus stopped walking and frowned at Roman "You're no fun."

Roman huffed and pushed past him, opening the door "I don't have time for this, just say whatever you want to say and get out."

Decarus looked out the door and saw the crowd that followed him here, watching in anticipation for what's to come. He put on his signature grin and turned to Roman "Roman Beltrius Sanders! I have come to propose to you!"

Roman turned around in horror to see people surrounding the house, his jaw nearly hit the floor. No one was interested in the pacing horse in the backyard.

Decarus leaned down and whispered, "In front of the whole town I might add. I wonder what the people will think if you, little mouse, reject their favorite son."

Roman growled at that nickname. Decarus had called him that ever since the hunting trip. It was Decarus' way of calling Roman a coward for giving up fighting, "as weak as a little mouse" to quote him exactly. The worst part was that he never used it in front of anyone else, or said it loud enough for them to hear because then Roman would have a reason tell the real story of the hunting trip. It taunted Roman, the town would forever be under the snake's spell and there was nothing Roman could do or say to change that.

Decarus smirk grew, "Come on, it'll be great, we'll eat what I kill, have a nice fancy cottage, I'll even let you adopt as many kids as your heart desires. Better than being run right out of town with your poor old father. Choose wisely my little mouse"

Decarus took great pleasure in watching Roman clutch his fist. His knuckles turned white, his nails dug into his palm and his jaw tightens. Decarus had Roman trapped, and yet he still didn't answer. Once he got his fill of the scene in front of him, Decarus whispered again with more malice, his venomous grin morphing into a dark frown "I said choose, mouse. The people are waiting for an answer."

Roman suddenly relaxed and smiled "Alright then." He turned to Decarus and subtly took a step back inside. Roman slid his hand up Decarus' arm, leaving his hand on Decarus' shoulder. "Decarus. I'm absolutely speechless. I don't know what to say!"

The people gasped. Nat raised an eyebrow, his proud grin quivering for he didn't actually think this would work. He felt pride for his best friend. Decarus proved how great he really was.

With the sweetest smile on his face, Roman continued "Oh wait, now I remember!" Roman smiled dropped and he said seriously "I will never marry you." With a hard shove, Roman was able to get a shocked Decarus out of his house and he slammed the door shut.

Decarus fell into Nat, who attempted to catch him, and the entire town stilled. The sound of the tiny ring box hitting the ground was deafening.

Nat helped Decarus back up and took a step back before speaking "Dee...are you okay...?"

Decarus caught a glimpse of his reflection in a small metal bucket that was on the porch. He looked shocked, his suit was a bit wrinkled and his hair had flipped to reveal more of the scar that went down his face. He immediately put his hair back into place, which allowed his smug smile to return.

"Of course I am! Why wouldn't I be?" No one dared to answer him, not even Nat who opened his mouth then immediately shut it. After a beat of silence, he continued "Just one moment." Decarus turned to the door and ever so gently knocked "Roman, open the door." A moment's pause. "Little mouse, I said open the door."

Roman did not answer, he didn't even hear him. As soon as the door shut, he ran out the back door without hesitation, even forgetting the food he had been packing. In an instant, he was on Foster's back and riding off to find Thomas.

Decarus was slamming on the door at this point, loudly demanding for the door to open. The crowd began to dissipate, muttering to each other about what they just witnessed. Abruptly, Decarus stopped and choose to rest his hands on the wooden door.

Nat gulped and took a step forward. "Dee, I know it sucks that you failed but" He placed his hand on Decarus' shoulder "how about we go get a drink and--"

He was cut off when Decarus whirled around and grabbed his shirt aggressively "I don't fail. I never have, and I never will. I will make Roman my husband, and that's a promise." With that, he threw Nat to the side and marched back to his house.

"Game on, little mouse, game on."

~

Roman rode swiftly through the forest, a mix of emotions swirling through his mind.

"He proposed to me! Decarus actually proposed to me. He treats me like shit any chance he gets and then just expects me to want to say yes to him? Can you believe the nerve of that man?!" Roman ranted aloud.

Foster huffed and bobbed his head up and down, proving that he was listening as they traveled on.

"And even if he wasn't the worst human being alive, I still wouldn't date him, much less marry him. I mean could you imagine me as his husband? No thank you." Roman was so lost in his aggravation that he didn't realize Foster was slowing down. He only stopped ranting when Foster came to a halt. Looking up, Roman could see that the path in front of them was dark, foggy and looming with the promise of danger. Foster turned to look at Roman, he was not very keen on bringing his other master down this path.

Roman gave him a soft smile, "It's alright Foster, just go down the same path you went with Dad and we are sure to find him."

Foster hesitated for a moment before galloping down the path.

Roman gulped and thought, "Oh dad...what went wrong?"

~

Two Days Earlier

Thomas sang as he rode on. He had never been more proud of himself. He was sure this play was going to be a smash hit. "Can you believe it, Foster? The future is almost in our grasp. All thanks to our boy and his encouragement."

Foster happily trotted through the forest in response.

Thomas smiled softly "You know what I'm going to do with my first paycheck? I'm going to buy Roman a giant bookshelf and a bunch of books as a thank you. Then I'll use the money I have saved to get us a new house, far away from that town. And then I'll save up to give Roman a carefree life."

Thomas then did something bad, very bad, something he was told multiple times not to do by his son. He started to daydream. He imagined putting on his first show, audiences leaping to their feet, winning award after award.

It was nightfall before he realized that he was very, very lost.

Thomas looked around, attempting to recognize anything on the path. There was nothing but dense trees and the occasional owl.

Thomas' breath became uneasy "Oh my, It appears we went the wrong way, Foster." Thomas pulled out his map and attempted to try to figure out where they were going.

Squinting at the map, he spoke softly "I think...I think we have to go this way." Thomas gently pulled Foster to the right but the horse did not move. Foster tugged his head towards the opposite direction, the path Thomas wanted to go down was even darker and foggier than the one they were already on.

Thomas nodded sympathetically "I know, boy, I don't want to go down the super creepy and possible death trap path either but the map seems to say we have to." Thomas tugged once more and this time, Foster listened.

They made their way down the path cautiously. Thomas flinched at every sound and nearly broke his neck from how quickly he turned his head. Thomas' skin went pale when he heard the howl of wolves.

Sweat fell down his face and his hands began to shake as he spoke: "Welp, we are never going to get there so might as well just turn around and go home where it's nice and warm and not scary whatsoever."

Thomas could feel Foster getting nervous, the horse was making the cart Thomas was sitting on bump back and forth. Thomas spoke words of reassurance to Foster in an attempt to calm him.

It did not work.

Bats and small birds flew past the horse, frightening it even more. It caused him to nearly run off a cliff, and Thomas to start to freak out. The final straw for Foster was when he made eye contact with a wolf.

He reared, sending Thomas and his briefcase flying to the ground and Foster took off into the night, two wolves hot on his tail.

Thomas slowly sat up for he hit his head when he fell to the ground. He scanned the forest for Foster, too terrified to call out for the horse in the event he alerts the wolves to his location.

He slowly stood up, briefcase in hand, and sighed at the site of the shattered pieces of metal near him. They once formed his only lantern. Foster had trampled it when he made his escape.

Thomas gulped and took a small step forward, intending to sneak away. In a cruel twist of fate, Thomas stepped on a small branch. He cringed at the sound and slowly turned his head towards the hill to his right, ready to meet his fate. There were several wolves staring him down and for a moment, they only made their presence known to him. Thomas took a second step and the wolves moved forward an inch.

Thomas knew there was only one way out of this situation alive so he took a deep breath and said a small prayer before running as fast he could.

Thomas felt his heart leap into his throat, the wolves were in hot pursuit of him. His lungs burned as he forced himself to keep going. He looked over his shoulder and nearly screamed as he saw there was only a short distance between him and the wolves.

He forced himself over a large tree root and slid, rather ungracefully, down the hill. Ahead he sees a large gate and bolts to it. To his relief, the gate swung open. He slammed it shut with breakneck speed, creating a solid barrier from and the wolves. His sudden moment of relief was cut off by a wolf biting his cloak and attempting to pull him through the gate.

Thomas slapped the wolf with his briefcase, startling the wolf enough for it and its companion to run off. Thomas' knees nearly buckled in relief. "At last..." he panted out "It's over now."

He should have known the universe wouldn't let him off the hook that easily.

As if it was waiting for its cue, the sky turned from clear and empty to dark and full of clouds. The rain from them pours on Thomas as if they had a personal vendetta against him. Thomas sighed and turned to try to figure out where he was now.

Thomas suddenly stiffened and he lost his grip on his briefcase, not that he noticed. In front of him was a monstrous castle. It was built from black stone, dripping with dark energy. It had tower after tower, each topped with dark purple turrets. The gargoyles were also black and almost looked life-like. The grand door was also purple with dog-like faces on the door knockers. The windows were blocked with wood, making it hard for Thomas to see if anyone was inside.

Thomas was so enchanted by it that it took him sneezing to snap him out of it. He felt a chill fill his body and knew if he stayed in the rain anymore, he'd surely catch a cold (if he didn't already have one).

He ran to the castle door and rapidly knocked on it. When he got no answer, he reached for the door knocker. All of a sudden, the door opened on its own.

Peering inside, he saw a candlelit hallway. It had a velvet carpet that contrasted with the dark blue walls. Thomas gulped before slowly walking in.

"H-Hello...?" He managed to stutter out, receiving no response. Taking in some deep breaths, he tried again, a bit loud this time "Hello?" He wiped his clothes down and ran his fingers through his wet hair.

Out of nowhere, Thomas could hear a voice, causing Thomas to jump in fear "Hey look! It's some dude, he looks lost" Thomas looked left and right, trying to find the source of the voice.

Another sharp whisper replied to the first "Silence Joan, the stranger will leave if he believes there is no one here."

The voice dubbed Joan contested "He could be the one we're waiting for."

The second voice scoffed "Falsehood. This man has grey hair and looks twice the master's age. Therefore there is more of a reason for him to leave."

Thomas pleaded with the voices, "I'm sorry to barge in but...please I need a place to stay...just for tonight!"

On the table next to Thomas, there was a clock and a candlestick. The candlestick moved their head ever so slightly to look at Thomas' pained and exhausted expression. They turned their head back to the clock, with puppy dog eyes.

The clock's natural expression was unchanged and he replied coolly "I said no Joan and that's final."

Thomas felt as though he was going to cry "Please! My horse ran off! I'll even leave before dawn!"

"Come on Logan, don't be such an asshole"

"I AM NOT--OWW! DID YOU JUST BURN ME?!"

Joan let out a chuckle before turning their body fully towards Thomas "Of course you can stay the night!"

Thomas turned in a full circle but again, he saw no other human "Uh thank you! I don't mean to be rude but where are you?"

Joan waved their left candle "Right here!"

Thomas once again missed it, he was still looking for a human. He reached down and unintentionally grabbed Joan.

Joan wiggled in his hand "Woah! Get to know me first before you try to pick me up!" Joan laughed at Thomas' surprised expression but he quickly regretted it as it caused Thomas to drop him.

Thomas' eye widens into saucers "You talked..." Thomas pointed his finger, his whole body shaking. Joan pushed themself up and Thomas jumped back "You moved!"

Logan rolled his eyes and jumped off the table "I hope you are happy with your decision, Joan."

Thomas gasped "You move and talk too!" Thomas looked around the hallway to see if any of the other objects in the room would move. His fear was replaced by fascination. Thomas bent down and began to poke Logan. He couldn't believe what was in front of him. A candlestick with its wax formed into a face and candle snuffer on their head like a hat. They had a sweet grin and tapping their smaller candles together like they had real hands. They were gold and they hoped to get closer to Thomas. Next to them was a very angry clock. He too had a face and the hands on the clock looked more like they were there to hold up the mini glasses on the clock rather than something to help tell the time. The clock had metal arms and stubs for legs. Thomas then observed that the clock had a small door on his chest and he tried to open it.

Logan slapped his hand away "Do not touch me! That is extremely rude!"

Thomas pulled his hand so quickly that he fell over. He stammered out "I-I'm sorry, it's just...I'm just...and you're just..." Thomas then let out a plethora of sneezes.

Joan hopped to his side and frowned "Oh shit dude, you need to get warm quick. Follow me." Joan hopped down the hall. Thomas' eyes followed him and saw that a door open to reveal a fireplace. Thomas leaped to his feet and walked behind Joan to the next room.

Logan facepalmed so hard that it was surprising that the glass that made up his face did not shatter, "They never listen to me. Never. And now everything is just going to go bad and I'm going to get blamed for it."

Logan followed them as a mysterious figure stalk them from the top of the stairs. The shadow growled before quietly heading down the stairs.

Joan led Thomas to a room that was mostly empty except for a large chair in the middle of the room. Thomas graciously sat down while Logan rubbed his face in frustration "You're letting him sit...in the master's chair?!"

A barking footstool ran over to Thomas and sniffed him. Thomas chuckled, quite enjoying being in the presence of the living objects. He gently tickled the stool under a tassel he assumed was the stool's ear. When he heard the happy barks, Thomas smiled that he got it right.

As a reward, the footstool crawled under Thomas' feet and laid down to take a nap.

Joan waved at a coat hanger and said coat hanger put a blanket over Thomas.

Thomas smiled softly "Thank you."

Logan raised his arms in frustration "What is wrong with all of you?!' He placed his hands on his face and groaned "He cannot stay here!"

Logan's lecture was interrupted by a happy squeal which made drop his arms with a long sigh. It was short lived though, as he had to jump out of the way of a speeding food cart. It barely missed him and Logan fell flat on his face.

Logan picked his head up from the ground and shouted angrily "PATTON!"

The food cart paused. It held a white teapot with a blue cover and base and a matching teacup. The teapot jumped up and down in excitement "Sorry Lo-Lo but I can't help it! We have a guest!"

Logan blushed at the nickname, losing focus on the situation at hand.

Patton grinned and offered "Here! Have some tea that will get rid of that cold, 100%"

Logan waddled over to the cart "Patton, dear, no. He can't"

Patton huffed and poured the tea, that he was holding inside him, into a small teacup. Thomas gently picked it up and took a sip.

The teacup giggled at the feeling "Papa! It tickles!" Patton smiled at his son as the little teacup began to strike up a conversation with the man holding him. "Hi! I'm Emile!"

Logan began to rub his temples in distress "And how he's drinking out of my son. I don't see how this could possibly get any worse!"

The door abruptly swung open, letting in such a big window that it doused out the fire in the fireplace and on Joan.

Someone whispered "Master Virgil..."

Thomas looked around confused. Logan instantly climbed up the side of the food cart as quickly as he could. Emile hopped out of Thomas' hands and hid before Patton. Patton hid behind Logan who extended his small arms to block his family. Thomas began to shake in fear as Joan backed away, their arms raised as if it was pleading with someone. A large shadow began to cast over Thomas, causing his heart to beat rapidly.

A dark, deep voice spoke, "There's someone here." It wasn't a question, emphasized by the fact the speaker seemed to be holding himself back.

Joan blabbed "He got lost in the woods! And we just wanted to--" A roar instantly silenced Joan, even dousing their flames.

The figured turned his head towards Logan who only gestured to a sheepish Joan. The monster let out another growl.

Thomas turned his head to find the source of the frightening growling. Unfortunately, that caused him to come face to face with the beast in question.

Even in the dark, Thomas could see the ghastly figure. He had sharp horns, pointed ears, and a long, threatening tail. He wore a dark purple mask that covered everything but his dark eyes.

The beast moved closer, causing Thomas to jump out of the seat and drop the blanket.

The beast demanded, "WHO ARE YOU?! WHAT DO YOU WANT?!"

Thomas was shaking more violently than before as he backed away from the beast "I-I-I got lost in the w-woods and..."

Virgil scoffed but continued to walk menacingly towards Thomas "Of course! And I bet you wanted shelter from the 'bitter' cold too?!"

"I-I-I do but..."

Virgil snarled "SHUT UP! I'm not getting fooled again!"

Thomas raised his hand to keep a distance between him and the monster "W-What...? I-I don't know what you're talking about!" Thomas ran backward, attempting to escape from the front door. "Please! I was just trying..."

Thomas yelped when Virgil grabbed his arm "Trying to get some shelter right?! Well, I'll give it to you!" Virgil dragged Thomas away, ignoring his cries to be let go.

The door slammed shut, leaving the servants in quiet shock over what had just happened.

If this is how Virgil reacted to an old man, how would he react to the one who was destined to break the spell?

~

Present

Roman stared at the castle in front of him in horror. He could not believe that he had never even heard of this grand place before. Foster began to rear back and nearly knocked Roman over as he did with Thomas.

Roman gasped "Foster! Calm down!" Roman hopped off the horse and pet him desperately "Steady Foster, steady. It's going to be okay." Roman gently kissed the horse's head and turned to the castle.

He was apprehensive, no doubt about it. This place gave off a dark aura that sent a shiver up Roman's spine. Roman would never imagine his father staying here, even if it was to take refuge from the cold. It was simply improbable. Thomas was most likely not there.

Then he saw it.

The familiar black briefcase. Roman ran to it and picked it up with shaking hands. He could hear the manuscript move around as the case was being moved, there was no doubt that this was Thomas' briefcase. He hugged the briefcase desperately, fighting back his tears.

"Oh, dad..." Roman looked up to the castle and a determined look formed on his face. "Hold on, I'm coming to get you."

~

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

17.1K 784 7
Patton is tired of being hurt by the other sides. Luckily for him, an unexpected visitor gives him some advice. Hopefully it works, because the last...
22.3K 1K 45
COMPLETE This is a Moxiety Fan Fiction about Virgil facing his past. The only person who seemed to tolerate him was Patton and he felt he could open...
184K 7.6K 36
Prince Roman of the Ironfelt Kingdom is well known for being a heroic, flirtatious man. Everyone respects him, and sees him as a mighty hero, however...
509K 21.5K 43
Virgil had his own life, his own group of mismatched, odd friends. Roman had his clique and his power. The two were about to collide in one big mess...