Marauders' Godson Book 4: The...

By Sweet_Wing_King101

IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE FIRST THREE BOOKS GO BACK OR YOU'LL BE REALLY CONFUSED! Edward is back at Hogwarts fo... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Points:
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Points Updated:
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Epilogue
Author's Note
Author's Note 2

Chapter Fifteen

234 13 0
By Sweet_Wing_King101

(I couldn't find a way to fit SPEW in the book, so I'm not putting it in... but they're still on the house-elves side.)

Hedwig arrived, not with the other owls, but the night after the Gryffindors had their first lesson with Moody.

They were all in the Gryffindor common room doing Divination homework, long after everyone else had gone to bed, when there was a tapping noise on the window. Edward walked over and yelped. "Harry, it's Hedwig!"

"What?" Harry, Ron, Onyx, and Ruby chorused.

Edward opened the window and Hedwig soared into the room, landing on Harry's lap.

"About time!" Harry exclaimed, taking the note off of Hedwig's lap.

"What's it say?" Onyx and Ruby said together.

They all crowded close to Harry as he read Sirius' response aloud.

Harry --

I'm flying north immediately. This news about your scar is the latest in a series of strange rumors that have reached me here. If it hurts again, go straight to Dumbledore -- they're saying he's got Mad-Eye out of retirement, which means he's reading the signs, even if no one is.

I'll be in touch soon. My best to my kids, and your other friends. Keep your eyes open, Harry, and STICK WITH EDWARD.

Sirius

"You were right," said Harry with a frown. "He is coming back. I shouldn't have told him-"

"Yes, you should have," said Edward sharply. "He'll want to know of things like that. And he's smart enough to take care of himself, Harry. Don't worry." He stood up. "I'm going to write to Remus, tell him about Sirius." And a few things about Moody that have been worrying me....

---------------

Edward wished he had waited to tell Remus about his suspicions, because he got another one the next Wednesday. Moody had announced that he would be performing the Imperius Curse on each of them, so that he could teach them how to fight it.

"But -- but you said it's illegal, Professor," said Onyx with a frown. "You said -- to use it against another human was-"

"Dumbledore wants you taught what it feels like," Moody interrupted. Edward relaxed slightly -- Moody did follow Dumbledore's orders -- but he still didn't trust him.

He beckoned students forward in turn and began putting the curse on them.

It was rather like the beetle. Everyone did things that they normally wouldn't have done, and not one of them could fight it. Draco and Onyx were very annoyed when they were released, finding out that Draco had done ballet around the room and Onyx had crawled on the floor, wailing like a baby.

"Potter, you next," said Moody, looking faintly nervous. Edward kept his expression unreadable as he strode forward; but he was wondering why the teacher was afraid of him. The last teacher that had been that nervous of him had had Voldemort sticking out of the back of his head.

"Imperio!" said Moody, interrupting his thoughts.

Edward felt a floating sensation in his head, and most of his thoughts and worries disappeared. He could still think, not quite as well as he could when his mind was free.

A voice spoke in his head.

Spin around.

No, thank you, said a voice like Edward's, calm and warning. I quite like standing still and I'd rather not be told what to do, especially not something as embarrassing as that.

Do a perouet.

"No," said Edward aloud, and the feeling disappeared. He was suddenly back in the classroom, and everyone was staring at him with shock.

"Well done, Potter!" said Moody, looking just as shocked. "I don't reckon anyone's fought it off that well! Are you sure no one's ever-"

"No," Edward responded, walking back over to Draco and Onyx, "no one's ever tried to Imperius me, Professor."

"You'd probably hex them if they did," said Onyx, grinning.

"No, he'd freak them out with his words first, and then hex them," Draco retorted.

Edward shook his head slightly at his two friends and they silenced at once.

"The way he talks," said Draco irritably as they walked out of the classroom, "you'd think we were all going to be attacked any second."

"He grew up in the days of You-Know-Who," Edward said distractedly, "and he's used to people trying to kill him, as he has a lot of enemies...."

"What's up?" asked Onyx, frowning.

Edward glanced between them. They were both staring at him expectantly. Edward sighed and then said, "There's something... off about Moody. He'd never turn a student into an animal, and he'd never use a Killing Curse on anything, even to demonstrate. He's usually very gentle with children, so him performing the Cruciatus Curse in front of Melissa...." He paused. "And for some reason, he's intimidated of me."

"Like Quirrell?" said Onyx, looking worried.

"Yes... like Quirrell," said Edward. "I've written Remus, asked him about Moody's usual habits and behaviors... I want to see if I'm imagining it, or if there's something going on with Moody."

--------------

There was a definite increase in homework the next few days, making it so Edward was almost distracted from Moody. When there was a particularly loud groan from the rest of their Transfiguration class when Professor McGonagall gave them a load of homework, she explained why.

"You are now entering the most important phase of your magical education! Your Ordinary Wizarding Levels are drawing closer-"

"We don't take O.W.L.s till fifth year!" Onyx said angrily.

"It's a year away, Onyx, and do you remember what I said last year about studying?" Edward said exasperatedly.

"'Do it today, or later you'll pay,'" Onyx grumbled.

Topaz chuckled.

"Yes," said McGonagall, "you need all the preparation you can get! Mr. Potter and Mr. Topaz Black remain two of the few people in this class who have managed to turn a hedgehog into a satisfactory pincushion. I might add that your pincushion, Mr. Onyx Black, still curls up in fright if anyone approaches it with a pin!"

In Divination, Edward listened with amusement at Professor Trelawney read aloud Harry's and Ron's dire predictions of the next month. Then she pulled out Ruby's predictions, thinking it would be more of the same, and was instantly sprayed in the face with a load of bright pink paint. There were predictions ("Promises," Ruby corrected.) of the pranks and jokes Ruby would do for the next month, and they weren't based on planetary movements. Trelawney gave her detention and she got a zero, but Ruby said she didn't care.

Binns had them writing weekly essays on the goblin rebellions of the eighteenth century; Snape was forcing them to research antidotes (this one took Edward two days to complete); Flitwick had asked them to read three extra books in preparation for Summoning Charms (which Edward had already mastered); and Hagrid suggested that they come down on alternate evenings to make notes on the Skrewts' behavior.

"I will not," said Zabini when Hagrid suggested this. "I see enough of these foul things during lessons, thanks."

Hagrid frowned at him. "Yeh'll do what yer told," he said with a growl, making Ruby grin, "or I'll be takin' a leaf outta Professor Moody's book.... I hear yeh make a good ferret, Zabini."

The Gryffindors laughed, and Edward was startled to see that most of the Slytherins snickered. Apparently they'd warmed up to him -- all except Parkinson, Zabini, Crabbe, and Goyle, who were all glaring at them.

When they arrived in the entrance hall for dinner, they found a large sign erected at the foot of the marble staircase. It was difficult to read, because it was surrounded by people. Edward, the tallest of them, stood on his toes to read the sign aloud to them:

TRIWIZARD TOURNAMENT

The delegations from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang

will be arriving at 6 o'clock on Friday the 30th of October.

Lessons will end half an hour early. Students will return their

bags and books to their dormitories and assemble in front

of the castle to greet our guests before the Welcoming Feast.

"Only a week away!" said Melissa excitedly a few paces away. "I wonder if Cedric knows? I think I'll go and tell him!"

"Cedric?" Ruby asked as she darted away.

"Diggory," Topaz said. "He's trying out for the tournament; he told 'Lis', who told me."

"Are you still tutoring her with Charms?" Edward asked as they headed to the Hall.

"No, but we're good friends. We should invite her to sit with us in class, none of her friends are in her year...."

--------------

The school underwent a lot of cleaning during the next two months. Several portraits had been scrubbed; the suits of armor were gleaming and moving without squeaking; and Filch was so angry at his cleaning duties that he was snapping at anyone who forgot to wipe their noses.

Other staff members were tense as well.

"Black, kindly do not reveal that you cannot brew a simple Warmth Potion in front of anyone from Durmstrang!" Snape snapped one Potions lesson, when Onyx accidentally made his potion blue instead of a deep orange.

On the morning of the thirtieth of October, Edward, Onyx, and Draco went down to the Great Hall to find enormous silk banners hanging above the tables, each one decorated to represent the four houses. A fifth banner was hanging over the staff table with the Hogwarts H.

The three of them sat down underneath the red banner with the gold lion beside Harry, Topaz, Ruby, Hermione, and Ron, who were talking to Fred and George.

"You two got any ideas on the Triwizard Tournament yet?" asked Harry. "Thought any more about trying to enter?"

"I asked McGonagall how the champions are chosen and she said she wasn't telling," said Fred.

"It's a surprise, obviously," said Edward dryly.

"Wonder what the tasks are going to be," said Ron.

"You know," said Onyx, "I bet we could do them. We've done dangerous stuff before."

"Not in front of a panel of judges, you haven't," said George. "McGonagall says the champions get awarded points according to how well they've done the tasks."

"Who are the judges?" Ruby asked eagerly.

"Well, the Heads of the participating schools are always on the panel," said Topaz, "because all three of were injured in 1792-"

"We don't need to know that," Draco interrupted.

"And I think a couple of Ministry wizards will be here as well," said Hermione.

They were interrupted as a hundred thousand owls swept into the room. Edward spotted Soot flying towards him, and Hedwig landed in front of Harry.

Edward scanned the note from Remus, then took out a piece of paper from his bag, writing, Thanks, Remus. I'll keep in touch. Soot flew off again with the small note.

"Listen," said Harry quietly, and the triplets, Ron, Hermione, Draco, and Edward leaned forward.

Harry, Ruby, Topaz, and Onyx,

I'm back in the country and well hidden. I want you to keep me posted on everything that's going on at Hogwarts. Don't use Hedwig, keep changing owls, and don't worry about me, just watch out for yourselves. Don't forget what I said about your scar.

Sirius

"Why d'you have to keep changing owls?" Onyx asked blankly.

"Uh, because Hedwig is the only white owl here?" Ruby asked sarcastically.

"She stands out," Topaz said calmly, shooting her a look. "They're not native birds."

There was a tension in the air all day. When the bell rang early during Potions, they all hurried up to their separate common rooms, depositing their bags and books, and went back down to the grounds, where the Heads of Houses were separating students into lines.

"Black, straighten your tie," said Snape as they lined up. "Parkinson, what is that in your hair? Take it out."

Parkinson frowned and pulled a large green clip in the shape of a snake out of her hair.

"Follow me," said Snape coolly. "First years in the front, and no pushing."

The Slytherins filed down to the other three Houses, standing between Gryffindor and Hufflepuff. Edward spotted his four Gryffindor friends in the fourth row with their House, and Topaz was standing in the second row.

"How do you reckon they're coming in?" asked Onyx, staring around the grounds.

"Well, Durmstrang has a cool pirate ship," Draco suggested. "Maybe they're coming in that. Not sure about the Beauxbatons people."

They sat silently for a while, until Dumbledore said loudly, "Aha! Unless I am much mistaken, the delegation from Beauxbatons approaches!"

"Where?" Onyx yelled, along with several other students.

"There!" Edward said, pointing at the sky.

Something huge was was streaking across the sky towards them.

"It's a dragon!" shrieked a first year.

"No, it's all right, it's a carriage!" Topaz called reassuringly from the Ravenclaws, squinting. "Wow, those are huge horses."

"You can see that far?" Onyx demanded as the carriage hurtled closer.

The powder-blue carriage -- pulled by a dozen winged horses, all of which were the size of elephants -- landed at a tremendous speed, crashing so hard that Neville leaped backward onto a Gryffindor fifth year's foot.

Edward just spotted the emblem on the door -- two crossed, golden wands, both emitting three stars -- before it opened. A boy in pale blue robes jumped out of the carriage and unfolded a set of golden steps. He sprung back respectfully. Then a black shoe the size of a child's sled emerged from the door, followed by a woman as big as Hagrid.

She had handsome olive skin, and her hair was drawn into a neat bun on the back of her head. She had liquid-looking black eyes and a slightly beaky nose. She was dressed in black satin, and several magnificent opals glittered at her throat and on her fingers.

Edward suddenly noticed that a dozen boys and girls had emerged from the carriage behind her, also wearing pale blue robes of fine silk.

Dumbledore started clapping, and Edward clapped too, followed by the rest of the school. Then the headmaster strode up to the woman and said warmly, "My dear Madam Maxime, welcome to Hogwarts." He kissed her hand -- he barely had to bend to do so.

Madam Maxime smiled graciously and said in a rich, deep voice, "Dumbly-dorr. I 'ope I fin dyou well?"

"In excellent form, I thank you," Dumbledore replied.

"My pupils," said Maxime, waving a hand carelessly behind her. One of her students ducked, looking alarmed, and several of the Slytherins snickered quietly.

"'As Karkaroff arived yet?" Maxime asked.

"He should be here any moment," said Dumbledore politely. "Would you like to wait here and greet him or would you prefer to step inside and warm up a trifle?"

"Warm up, I think," said Maxime slowly. "But ze 'orses-"

"Our Care of Magical Creatures teacher will be delighted to take care of them," said Dumbledore, and then, noticing Ruby's excited look, added with a chuckle, "and of course, his assistant -- the moment he has returned from dealing with a slight situation that has arisen with some of his other -- er -- charges."

"The Skrewts," Onyx smirked, and Draco sniggered. Edward cast them quelling looks.

"My steeds require -- er -- forceful 'andling," said Maxime, frowning at Ruby, who gave her an outraged look. "Zey are very strong...."

"I assure you that Ruby and Hagrid will be well up to the job," said Dumbledore amusedly.

"Very well," said Maxime, bowing a bit. "You, girl -- ze 'orses drink only single-malt whiskey."

"Okay," said Ruby.

"Miss Black, why don't you go tell Hagrid he has some new, ah, charges to care for?" Dumbledore smiled at Ruby, and Ruby nodded at once, rushing off to Hagrid's hut. As she passed the horses, she sang one soft note, and the horses instantly relaxed.

Maxime stared at her for a moment, then shook herself, making Edward smile crookedly. "Come," she said to her students, then turned and marched up to the school, followed by the twelve late-teens.

"Durmstrang next," said Draco, turning towards the lake. Onyx and Edward followed his gaze, but it was still.

Then, after a moment, the lake began to ripple slightly. Then there was a loud noise, sounding like an immense vacuum clearner was moving along the riverbed.

"The lake!" bellowed Lee Jordan from a few rows behind Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Ruby. "Look at the lake!"

A huge whirlpool suddenly appeared in the middle of the lake, and a long pole -- a mast -- began rising from the center. Slowly the huge ship rose out of the water. It had a strangely skeletal look, as though it were a wreck. Finally, with a huge sloshing noise, the ship emerged completely and began to glide towards the bank. After a moment there was a splash of an anchor being thrown into the shallows, and a thud of a plank being lowered.

"Woah, it is cool," said Onyx, awed, as large silhouettes emerged from the ship.

"Yeah," said Draco.

These students were not wearing robes of blue silk; they had robes of thick, shaggy fur, except their headmaster. The man at their head was wearing sleek silver furs, which matched the color of his hair and goatee.

"Dumbledore!" he said as they approached. "How are you, my dear fellow?"

"Blooming, thank you, Professor Karkaroff," said Dumbledore.

Karkaroff smiled, but it didn't reach his cold, shrewd eyes. He shook hands with Dumbledore, then looked up at the school. "Dear old Hogwarts," he mused. "How good it is to be here, how good.... Viktor, come along, into the warmth... you don't mind, Dumbledore? Viktor has a slight head cold...."

"Viktor Krum?" Onyx squeaked, his eyes shining.

"I told you Krum was still in school, didn't I?" Draco asked, looking amused.

"Come on," said Edward, also amused, "we're all going back inside."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.4M 206K 154
From the moment they step onto the Hogwarts Express, the Marauder's Fourth Year at Hogwarts is explosive. Laced with friendship, love, hate, and all...
74.3K 3K 11
Harry and Siri head back to Hogwarts for their 4th year, along with Hermione and Ron. But with the Tri-Wizard tournament in play, crushes, and Dark L...
1.6K 22 26
Anne and her friends return for their third year at Hogwarts. However, they are being terrorized by the threat of escaped prisoner Sirius Black, whom...
2.3K 37 12
Eternal Glory awaits welcome to the fourth chapter of rerun of the Harry Potter franchise in the Harry and Hermione version of The Goblet Of Fire as...