Tales of Berseria The X: Beyo...

By kaiserdracon

As the Era of Asgard crumbles, the sins of the past stand poised to consume the world. Despair and Salvation... More

Chapter I: Welcome to Midgand, Mr...?
Chapter II: An Unexpected Encounter
Chapter III: A Simpler Life Part I
Chapter IV: A Simpler Life Part II
Chapter V: A Simpler Life Part III
Chapter VI: A Stolen Happiness
Chapter VII: New World Order
Chapter VIII: The Reunion
Chapter IX: The Unforeseen Circumstances
Chapter X: Into The Fray
Chapter XI: Road to The Empyrean Throne
Chapter XII: Assassins in the Night
Chapter XIII: The Buried Despair
Chapter XIV: Wolves at the Gates
Chapter XV: Oaths of Duels Under the Moon
Chapter XVI: More Than Meets The Eye
Chapter XVII: Sword of Annihilation
Chapter XVIII: What Doctor Ordered
Chapter XIX: My Creed
Chapter XX: Just Another Killer
Chapter XXI: The Wise Grimoirh
Chapter XXII: The Wrong Side of Heaven
Chapter XXIII: The Righteous Side of Hell
Chapter XXIV: The Drunken Shepherd
Chapter XXV: Did Someone Order a Secret Fort?
Chapter XXVI: A Stroll In The Demonic Waters
Chapter XXVII: A Spell for Empty Hearts Part I
Chapter XXIX: Spring Breeze Theodora
Chapter XXX: Shadow of Calamity
Chapter XXXI: My Precious Velvet Part I
Chapter XXXII My Precious Velvet Part II
Chapter XXXIII: A Broken Heart
Chapter XXXVI: Farewell to Tenderness
Chapter XXXV: White Light Part I
Chapter XXXVI: White Light Part II
Chapter XXXVII: Season of the Reaper - Part I
Chapter XXXVIII: Season of the Reaper - Part II
Chapter XXXIX: Truth of the World - Part I
Chapter XL: Truth of the World Part II
Chapter XLI: The Stage of Apocalypse
Chapter XLII: The Valley of Kings
Chapter XLIII: Destiny
Chapter XLIV: The Final Battle
Epilogue - The Greatest Story Never Told
Bonus Post-Ending Chapter: Sure Promise
Bonus Post-Ending Chapter: Tomorrow's Answer
Bonus Chapter: The Eternal Blue Sky

Chapter XXVIII: A Spell for Empty Hearts Part II

698 71 13
By kaiserdracon

Avernus opened the door to the deck of Van Eltia. The sea breeze caressed his skin. He took a deep breath, trying to make himself feel more energetic and confident. The hunt for the next therion had already begun. Zekson port slowly came into peripheral vision, but another unlikely pair also positioned themselves to be caught in his line of sight. The sorcerer eyed Magilou and Tia, leaning against the railing and smirking, sneering like two teenage girls, uncontrollably and hardly inconspicuous.

Avernus groaned; more teases were going to hit him right in the stomach.

"I see the 'big bad wolf' was hungry for some delicious shepherd's 'meat,'" Tia said teasingly.

Avernus reached for his newfound scarf and repositioned it, paranoid; it was a very long dark grey scarf with carbon-like textures. He had wrapped the scarf around his neck typically but left its ends hanging on the back and front like a cloak.

"Where did you find your new scarf, Mr. fashion switcher? Did you win the shepherd's best reward at taming daemons?" Magilou asked, maintaining her spoofing behaviour.

Avernus folded his arms. He remained steadfast, "Alright, come on, you two, let it all out, you girls."

"It seems congratulations are in order, Avernus. It looks like you two are ready to take it to the next level. And please, get rid of that scarf. Every adult human being knows what happened with a single glance." Tia said, applauding and ridiculing him at the same time. After a pause, she added slightly more tease to her smile, now looking less innocent. "So... how was the last night at the beach?"

Magilou looked anxious to hear the results; her partner in crime was having proved to be a valuable ally during the last few days. To their surprise, Avernus's eyes did not waver. "She bit me." He stated flatly

"And?" Tia inquired.

"And what?" Avernus tilted his right hand as if there was nothing more to add.

Magilou rolled her eyes, letting out a prolonged and annoyed sigh at his apathetic manner, "Wasn't she in your 'To do list'?"

Avernus looked at her with a confounded face.

"Did you put 'wood' in the 'stove'?" Tia brayed.

The Shepherd was as clueless as ever.

"Were 'the girls' happy to see you?" Magilou piped up, hopelessly trying to get through the density of his pure soul.

Tia herself looked at the witch, narrowing her eyes. "Why do you call those 'the girls'?"

Magilou shook her head. "I don't know, Velvet's choice of torn rugs as her clothes always gave me the impression that her boobs always wanted to be free. I just thought they'd probably looked happy to see him, you know? "Won't you come to say hi to these twins, Avernus?"." She raised her hands and put them on her flat chest as if she was pressing against imaginary round squashy things, mimicking Velvet's villainous tone for the last part.

Avernus finally ticked. His pale green eyes widened. "You... you're all creeps and perverts! So that's why Eizen was bugging me with 'slapping the midnight silence,' 'hammering the moaning effigy,' and 'wearing the velvet hat.'."

Tia raised her brows and looked at Magilou, "wearing the velvet hat... hmm, that's too soon for their first night, isn't it?" She said quietly to Magilou, almost a whisper.

"Yeah, I wonder why Eizen said that. Guys are just too wild sometimes." Magilou replied in kind, murmuring.

Avernus pointed his finger at them, "You all three were in on this together?! The Kraken Queen 'incident' was your idea too?! I nearly drowned in the sea, for goodness sake!" He raised his voice in an accusing tone, almost yelling at the end.

Tia frowned and put her hands on her hip. "Oh, give me a break, Avernus. You always wanted to "have" her. Talking my ears off about how your motivation was to save her from the path of "self-destruction" and then marrying her as soon as the quest was over. You got your wish, and she likes you now, so man up to your claims."

He suddenly gave her puppy eyes, "I don't think she likes...." Avernus mumbled, but Magilou cut him off.

Magilou looked irritated at the level of Avernus's denial. She frowned. "Of course she does, you idiot. That hickey she gave you last night was to show the public, which means me, Eleanor, and every female in Midgand, that she already took you. Screaming: 'don't try to steal my man away from me, or I'm going to devour you all!' ... Sheesh, she is so possessive and jealous now that I think about it. Even though we pushed it with...."

"Shhhhh!" Tia quickly hushed her, preventing her from exposing their use of the potion.

Avernus closed his eyes and breathed heavily, lost in his thoughts.

"Why are you doing this to me? What the hell is wrong with you, women?!" he implored. His voice was low, and he seemed to be controlling his urge to yell.

Magilou folded her arms behind her head, grinning. "The life around here was getting boring, Eizen lecturing us non-stop, everybody's trying to take care of Laphicet and you, acting as if you're his dad. Besides, I had enough of Velvet's nagging about killing Artorius how we could ignore an affair between a vengeful daemoness and a pure-hearted Shepherd. It was like watching "forbidden lovers." You two needed a nudge, or in this case, Velvet needed a push..."

"That's enough explanation, Magilou." Tia subdued her speech once more. "In short, we wanted some adult fun and topics to talk about, and you needed Velvet. So, fair trade if you ask me." Tia concluded. She then relaxed her body, and her face returned to a gentler expression. "So you two wasted the last night doing nothing, am I right?" She nonchalantly inquired.

Avernus squinted his eyes. "Wasted?! I don't understand why I must fool around with her to convey my love and affection?! You know me, Tia, I was raised as a gentleman. I'm not a thirsty deviant, and I will abide by my code no matter what. If anything has to happen either, it will be with her consent or after I proposed to her."

Magilou suddenly lost her coolness, "Oh, shut up. Don't play the chevalier card on us and live in denial. I see how you leer at her. You're not even discreet about it anymore with that bedroom gaze you have on your face, looking up and down, undressing whatever she has on her body that you can call clothes. You know, since you and Velvet are not together, it feels creepy. You two need to act like grown-ups about it and talk to each other." Magilou retorted.

"There is no such thing as undressing her with my own eyes! The problem is your dirty minds! I'm a grown-up, and it's none of your business!" he argued, raising his voice.

Tia smirked. "Good, since you're an adult, I can be your coach then. You see, now that you're in an intimate relationship, you should learn about where babies come from." She said sincerely, without letting Avernus change the direction of their main topic.

Avernus opened his eyes, looking baffled and annoyed, "Excuse me?"

"I know back in my church; they say you wish for your babies, and the good storks take them out of gardens and bring them to you in a basket... but that's not true. What happens is that when a girl and a boy love each other, they...." Tia was keeping her motherly and patient posture, speaking softly. At the same time, Avernus covered his forehead and shook his head from side to side in a frustrated manner, suddenly cutting her short.

"Mysteria's bright star! I know where babies come from!" he said stridently, exasperated.

Tia's hands reached to his face and pinched his cheeks. "Do you? Do you really?" she asked in a low and sympathetic voice as if she was talking with a kid.

"I certainly hope so," he responded, uncertain. He suddenly blushed. His glance fixated like a clueless baby into her own eyes.

"Oh, all right then. Aww, look, you're all red and mottled. How cute." Tia said playfully.

Avernus's eyes jolted from smirking Tia to grinning Magilou and back, "You did that on purpose!"

Tia smirked, "Now, now Avernus, why would I do such a thing?" she spoke in a kind tone of voice.

"Because you and Magilou are both wicked. That caring sister act? I'm so not fooled anymore!" Avernus said informatively.

Magilou leaned once again against the railing. "If you want information on how to properly unstrap her complex vest and save you from the frustration of tearing it apart, I can give it to you for just 99000 gald!"

Avernus hastily put his hands on his ears to block off all incoming voices, "I'm not listening! La la la la la la!" he quickly left and went towards prince Percival and Laphicet.

Tia's smile faded away. "I can't believe it. He's a grown man now."

Magilou sneered, "I wonder where Velvet is? Phi is out there for some time, and Avernus has already woken up. She usually was an early bird."

Tia slowly turned to her, glancing as Magilou herself already knew the answer. "Wait... don't tell me that potion had that such an effect on her!" Magilou wondered.

"Velvet is a strong woman, never letting her weaknesses be shown to anyone. But deep down, she's still a teenager when it comes to her emotions. The potion's purpose was to bring out the most effect on the one who truly cares for him. If she bit him last night, I could only imagine how the spell is working for her." Tia explained.

Magilou face wrinkled and then suddenly burst into her laughter. "Do you mean... that."

The door to the crew's quarter slowly creaked open, and Velvet came out. Tia and Magilou observed her; Velvet eyes quickly found Avernus. Her usual gloomy and frowning look was nowhere; her cheeks flushed at the sight of the Shepherd. She was indirectly ogling him from afar and biting her lips.

"Oho, look at her. I can feel those eyes, lusting for some Shepherd's punishment." Magilou clenched her fists and, with her trademark malicious look, began to portray Velvet's situation. Tia's eyes dilated. She sensed that the potion was getting to her too. It felt amusing.

"She probably dreamed about Avernus, the Shepherd who disciplines naughty daemons. He relentlessly pursues her. She tried to get away, but who can escape from the might of Shepherd sorcerer Avernus." Magilou described, exerting herself and nearly out of breath. Her excitement level was off the charts. Tia's eyes were fixated on the witch, sneering.

"Velvet tried to run, but she tripped and fell. As soon as she turns her head back, Avernus was there, staring at her with piercing pale green eyes that glitter in the dark. Those strong shoulders, long white and a gold coat representing his authority and power, made her weak. Her energy fails her at the mercy of his imposing figure! He pinned her to the ground, and she surrendered her body to him so he could have his way and take her by force...."

Splash!

Without warning, a stream of salty seawater soaked the witch in the face. It went into her nose and her mouth. She fell on her knees, coughing and choking hard from the results of Tia's water arte. She was soaking wet, staring back at Tia, looking as if she had just rudely awoken from an erotic dream.

Tia's hand was glowing. "You were getting carried away, Magilou."

Bienfu, who talked to Grimoirh a few meters away, saw the scene and quickly flew back. "Bien?! What happened to Ms. Magilou?!"

"She was getting affected by the love potion, though I had already warned her to avoid getting close to Avernus for two more days." She calmly admonished.

Bienfu was slowly tapping Magilou's back as she continued to gasp and spit. "But how does that potion even work exactly? Shouldn't the person you want to fall in love with you drink that?"

"No, this one is from an old recipe for Malakhim. It doesn't affect the drinker, but instead, it amplifies their domain. Avernus is a Shepherd, and he has a domain around him like what Malakhim have. The field influences those who enter it, triggering the emotions that made them feel wild with a burning desire to be with them. In severe cases...."

Tia looked at Magilou skeptically as she narrowed her eyes and continued her talking in a lower tone, "...Those who already hold strong feelings would take it to the next level. Like they would start fantasizing lustful dreams about their crushes."

Magilou took off her hat and emptied the water inside it, and pointed her finger at Tia. "That's a load of baloney right there...." Magilou glanced at Tia's face; she was groaning and staring as if she knew her lies. "Okay... I was a little bit interested a long time ago, but...." Magilou couldn't hold a straight face. Tia's face didn't change one bit. She was patiently waiting for Magilou to admit the truth.

Magilou's body started to quiver. She swallowed and then pounced at Tia, dropping her hat and grabbing Tia's collar. Her eyes turned watery, and she broke down, starting to scream like a spurned girl, "So what?! I liked him! How many times in your life can you find a sorcerer that's passable as a partner?! Hah?" she screeched.

"Sheesh, control yourself, Magilou. You look pathetic. He's like, what? Ten years younger than you." Tia said with disgust as her head came back and forth, shaking.

"... I don't care! Why did he choose her? The things we could've done together! Shows! Festivals! We could rob people blind! Why I'm so unloved?!" She squawked, looking at the part of a crying baby. Tia held her head with her two hands and pressed her thumbs into the area between her eyebrows. A bright dot appeared, and Magilou's eyes flashed. She let out a prolonged moan and fell to the ground.

"This ought to block the effects for that sly little fox of a witch," Tia whispered to herself, watching Magilou's passed-out body.

Bienfu started spiralling around Tia, pressing his hands together. "Please, Ms. Tia, teach me the recipe. I promise not to tell anyone! I want girls to go mad for me, like Ms. Magilou!" he pleaded.

Tia's eyes followed him around without moving her head, looking annoyed and uninterested. "If you drink that potion, people that dislike you will also hate you, so choose carefully if you think it's worth the trouble."

Bienfu suddenly hesitated, unsure. His mood dropped to a gloomy one. Magilou slowly got up behind him, "So you saw what happened...." She squeezed her fists, behind the shadow of her jester hat had hidden her malicious stare. Bienfu eyes widened, his pupils shrank, slowly turning to her. "Ms. Magilou...? Bienn! I promise! I didn't see anything..." he managed to mumble some words, frightened.

"Potion or no potion, do you want to see how mad I am?" Magilou threatened. Bienfu started to fly away, screaming and sobbing, and Magilou ran after him intending to deliver some punishment.

On the other side, Velvet slowly went over to Avernus's party, passing Eleanor and Rokurou. The swordsman turned to Eleanor, "So, have you heard? Velvet and Avernus are you know."

"Have you nothing better to do than spread idle gossip? And besides, both of them can probably hear us. You're not very discreet." Eleanor said in a scolding voice.

"Hearing us? Look, they're not even paying attention." Rokurou said.

Eleanor rubbed her chin. "Hmm, maybe. You don't think Avernus is serious about it, do you? Velvet is a daemon after all." She assumed, whispering.

"Well, look here! Now, who's an idle gossip? Ha?" Rokurou smirked, rubbing his chin in return.

Eleanor scowled, "You're the one who started this! And I'm well... But don't you think it's dangerous?"

Tia immediately joined their conversation. "Dangerous for whom? Her? Or him?" she asked calmly.

Eleanor turned to her. Anger and worry in her eyes were apparent. "Anyone! Avernus, Phi, and the rest of us. She's a daemon, and he is a Shepherd. How can he even...." Eleanor sighed, looking down, "This can't be a good idea! She can't be a good influence on him, I'm sure of it." She said, this time with a whiff of envy.

Tia gently nodded, "I will admit that at one time, I thought Velvet is like the worst thing that could ever happen to Avernus. I tried to sway him from the idea several times. But look at it another way, Eleanor:

Perhaps Avernus will be a good influence on her." Tia declared confidently.

"Your malak friend is right." Another calm, and they heard a sophisticated female's voice. They looked down and saw Grimoirh approaching them, walking in concise steps. "When I met them together, I had the same opinion as Eleanor; Velvet is dangerous, cunning, and thoroughly deceitful. Avernus is a young man, and Velvet is a beautiful girl, so I thought it was a pity he doesn't know any better than an attractive appearance."

"I think you're mostly giving Velvet compliments," Rokurou said.

"Only a daemon would take those as compliments," Grimoirh said in a harsh tone of voice, resulting in Rokurou biting his tongue. She turned to Eleanor once more. "But Avernus is also clever. If he manages to help Velvet, turning her away from this mad quest, think of what disasters he could avert. His effort saved Haria's villagers from turning into daemons. Saving Velvet from a life of death and misery would mean that many innocent lives will also be saved. I'd say let's trust him." Grimoirh opined in a hopeful tone.

Eleanor sighed and looked with skepticism and apprehension in the direction of Avernus.

He and Prince Percival were discussing the future of Midgand and the possibility of reclaiming Midgand's throne with the help of Avernus and Van Eltia's pirates. Laphicet was observing their serious conversation and discussion of critical topics.

"... then can I count on your help and your promise, Shepherd Avernus?" Prince asked in an empathetic voice.

"Absolutely, with the path we're currently on, we will take down Abbey and Artorius himself. But, I have requests of my own to make, Prince Percival."

Velvet moved closer, hands on her waist, "Hey, you don't make promises without consulting it with me first." She said disapprovingly.

Avernus looked at her and winked. She frowned, squinting her eyes in response. "In return, I ask any criminal records of her and the Van Eltia's crew be deleted from the logbooks of the imperial court and their bounties permanently rescinded. Also, if things won't work out, I require that you leave her into my custody to take her to Hyland." Avernus demanded.

She gasped, and her face went red. Prince Percival gently smiled, "I can respect a man that cares about his friends and people that are close to his heart. Very well, I agree with your terms." The prince offered his hand, and Avernus shook it, firmly and nodding in acknowledgment. Griffin circled above their heads and then landed on the prince's armguard.

"He was... afraid to leave my side before, but for the first time, he decided to help you last night. If you want, I will permit him to assist you in your travels." Prince said gently.

Avernus shook his head. "I can't accept it. After all, you went through hell to keep him away from the Abbey."

Griffin glanced at Avernus from one side of his face and let out a cry. Prince sighed, "I guess he's not afraid anymore, and who am I to deny my best friend's request?"

Avernus paused for a few seconds, pondering and assessing Griffin's risks and worth for their missions. He extended his arm and graciously touched the golden band on Griffin's leg. Golden sparkles illuminated the bracelet, emanating a chiming sound.

"What did you do?" Phi asked.

"I established a bond with him. Now, I can summon him as a familiar creature whenever I require his assistance." Avernus explained.

The prince nodded and left their side. Velvet turned to Avernus, wondering but looking irritated as well. "What did you mean when you said "If things won't work out" and "Leaving me into your custody"? I'm free to choose my own life! I'm not some desperate, damsel in distress that needs yours or anybody's help." She said dismissively.

Avernus was calm and collected. "Don't think about it too much, but know this; I'm a Shepherd, and I demand obedience from my flock, doll face." He admonished her, smirking.

The lady daemon became disconcerted. She quickly forgot about the rest of what he just said, only that last part. Her eyebrows were brought together. "What did you call me?!" she demanded in an auguring tone, but her crimson face betrayed her.

"Pout, sulk, mope, and threaten me all you want in that ominous tone of voice. I can never get angry at your pretty face. Am I right, Phi?"

The little Malak smiled and nodded. Velvet watched both of them: they shared a strange but similar expression like Phi was a mirror of Avernus's younger self. They were in sync; their food tastes, interest in people, and even shared a similar goal. Velvet stood speechless. She forgot about the reason why she came to him or what was the point behind their argument. One look at their calm and serene faces, and everything seemed to be more relaxed.

Magilou jumped between them, slamming a set of papers to their chests. "Here are your lines for the first act of Magilou's Menageries! "The Starving Husband"!" she declared humorously.

"The Starving... What?!" Avernus wondered, started to read the pages, pressuring his lips and moving them around. Velvet quickly gave the pages back. "I already told you, I don't want to be any part of this...."

The Van Eltia docked at Zekson. Magilou grinned, "You don't have much time, Vel."

Magilou returned the papers and quickly followed the rest of the group as they disembarked the ship. Velvet raised her head to look for Avernus and Phi, but they had already left the boat.

It didn't take long for a man, wearing a red band, to approach their ship. Looking at Eizen, he said, "The boss has given me a message for you; there's a nasty daemon running around in the Aldina Plains, to the east of Loegres. She thought it might be the one you're looking for."

"Wasn't the eastern highway closed off from Loegres?" Magilou asked.

The man shook his head, "That was temporary. It's open again. Follow the road, and you'll reach Stonebury Village. There you'll find one of ours who saw the daemon. Your sorcerer could probably make sense of the situation."

Phi remembered about the earthpulse points. He was on the verge of mentioning it to their contract, but Avernus walked in front of him.

"Tell Tabatha; Avernus sent his regards." The sorcerer said and nodded his head, and their contact left for Loegres.

"We're on the right track. It seems we must check out that Bloodwing's lead." Rokurou suggested.

Phi moved closer to Avernus's side, "Did I do something wrong?" He regretfully asked.

"No. I knew you were going to tell the contact about the earthpulses. It's just that that man didn't need to know about it. That secret is ours and not for them." Avernus answered.

"But how are they supposed to trust us if we don't show them trust in kind? And aren't you already a part of them?" Eleanor inquired.

"I worked with them for a short time, but I won't go as far as saying they're my friends. In the underworld, anything can change in an instant, and the Bloodwings are dangerous. We didn't tell anyone about our plans, travel routes, or the times that we're going to dock in Zekson. That man knew our faces, and he was waiting for us." Avernus explained.

Eleanor's eyes widened as soon as she realized their extent of network information, "You're right!"

"We hardly know the first thing about them, and yet they seem to know every move we make." Velvet said.

"They even went as far to dig up my heritage from a continent which had no ties with your kingdom whatsoever. They could use that information against us and sell us out. We're allies until we keep being useful to them. The more secrets we have, the better." Avernus clarified.

Velvet looked at Laphicet, "We've got each other's back, but only as long as we hold a knife up our sleeves. That's what counts as "trust" in the underworld."

Phi was looking sad and discouraged. "That sounds terrible... but at least you can trust that Tabatha's cooking will be tasty!"

"Yeah... I can't agree more." Avernus then looked at Velvet, "Hey, did you manage to cook our lunch last night? You know, we've got a long road ahead of us."

Velvet's face went pale and then flushed. She tried to keep it balanced by adding to her frowning. "No, I didn't make anything."

"Why? I thought..."

"I was tired, okay? I had to go to sleep." She put her hand on her forehead. Her cheeks' reddish colour didn't go away. Avernus noticed her tense up.

"Are you okay? You can stay on the ship if you're not feeling well..." Avernus suggested.

Velvet closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "No, I'm fine. Let's get on with this."

Avernus nodded, still doubtful, but he turned to the group. "Alright, since we have no food for the road, Velvet, Magilou, and I will head to the shops to buy ourselves some provisions. We'll meet the rest of you at the gates."

The team dispersed into two groups. Avernus, Velvet, and Magilou went to the shopping area, but Magilou quickly entered a crowded inn. "Follow me, guys. I've got something to show to you," she said.

The inn was packed with customers. Nearly every table was occupied. Avernus and Velvet reluctantly followed the witch, walking carefully on the sidelines until they reached someone who appeared to know Magilou.

"Could you fit my comedy act into tonight's show? These two are still new, but I can carry the act myself. I'd appreciate you squeezing us in." Magilou requested.

Avernus and Velvet were both startled, and they looked at each other; the guy was a promoter for the Inn's shows. The guy had a feminine air about him.

"For you, Maggie dear, I'll do it as a personal favour, but you get 200 flat. No daily allows, and no group costs will take into account." He said graciously.

Magilou was annoyed, "Ah, you're greedy! Come on, and it's our first time...."

The promoter slowly shook his head, "I'm so sorry, dear. But that's how it is nowadays."

Velvet quickly grabbed Magilou's arm, pulling it towards herself, "Wait! This act is happening so fast! I'm not sure I'm ready for...." She nervously informed her.

Magilou grinned, "You'd better get ready because the curtain's going up!"

The drapery went up. Avernus glanced at the customers. Some were drunk, some were busy chit-chatting, and the rest held their attention on the stage. Velvet bright amber eyes remained wide. She nearly forgot to breathe.

Magilou smiled and bowed, "Hi there! We're Magi, Vel, and Avi! Your comediennes for tonight!" She spun around herself and cast sparks of different colours across the platform. "Magikazam! We're still new to the comedy business, but we'll do our best to give you a great show! I'm Magi, the bright, radiant one in the group, while this wanton of a man is...."

"Avi! The ungrateful husband for tonight, or that's what they told me." Avernus comically introduced, wavering his right arm as he bowed to the crowd, speaking in an aristocrat's accent.

"...and his moody little partner is...."

Velvet swallowed her words, and people only heard mumbling instead.

Magilou titled towards Velvet, "...Hey, what's wrong, Vel? Is everything okay? Are you still angry because of Avi?"

Velvet stood silent, staring blankly into the crowd,

Magilou slowly slid her way to her side, starting to talk with her mouth shut, "You need to put some energy into this, or we're in trouble! If you've got one redeeming feature, it's your courage!"

Velvet swallowed, "That might be, but this is different!" she protested.

The crowd began to phase out, looking indifferent to their performance. Magilou triggered. "Velvet, what are you doing?! We're losing the audience!" She complained, pulling Velvet to the other side of the stage.

A droplet of sweat fell from Velvet's forehead, "I-I can't help it! I've never talked in front of such a big crowd before!" she nervously exclaimed.

Magilou's eyes narrowed, "Wait a minute, don't tell me...."

All of a sudden, they noticed Avernus was walking from one side to the other, watching the crowd, "It's nice to see such a diverse crowd here in Loegres. We've got people from Southgand, Taliesin, Northgand, and ...wherever the hell Artorius is." He said derisively.

Everyone, including Magilou and Velvet, had their eyes nearly popped. Someone shouted from the crowd, "Don't insult Lord Artorius!"

"I'm not insulting him. I'm describing him." Avernus calmly replied to the man. He then continued, "One arm, one melancholy face that you can't swallow with a gallon of honey. I think he pissed one of the Empyreans off."

Another customer yelled, "But you don't know Lord Artorius!"

"Unfortunately, I know, and I'm jealous of people that don't know him."

Someone sneered loudly in the crowd. A woman stood up, "Lord Artorius has the wisdom of an owl, the grace of a swan, and the eye of an eagle!"

"Then Artorius is for birds, not for men and malakhims. No wonder he kept asking people, "Why do the birds fly?" God damn it, if you want to perch on a nest, go and leave these people in peace." His tone was too convincing for everyone as a few more began to laugh at the argument.

Magilou kept blinking at him from the backstage, "He's... Avernus is roasting Artorius!" she said, baffled as she was with his uncalled act.

Avernus kept walking and stared at the customers, "You know, Artorius loves to talk and talk and talk people's ears off ... I hope he'll say something intelligent someday." The seriousness on his face while saying those lines made another customer chuckle.

"You know, his face is so sad and dark that there was a time Artorius and I went to a haunted castle to destroy some pesky daemons. They didn't attack him. Instead, they handed him an application to apply as one of the villains."

The promoter himself giggled.

Avernus let out a sigh, "The last thing that worries me is someday, I want to marry his sibling, and I have to endure the inevitable: having him in my wedding. So, I'm going to tell him: Hey, Artorius! I'm glad you and your dull personality could be here. I'm excited to hear your speech at the wedding. With your personality, I'm sure your speech will combine the thrill of talking with the excitement of standing there."

More people laughed. Magilou chuckled and slowly turned to Velvet. She groaned and immediately took off. Magilou's eyes followed her to the door.

The sound of applause brought her out of her focus. Avernus exited backstage and joined her. The promoter came to their side. "Well, you've certainly shown me something new... an ungrateful husband who suddenly decides to roast the head of the authority. That was fresh."

Magilou faked a smile, "We're going for a brand new comedic style! So, he... what did you think?"

The promoter pressed his lips and raised one of his brows, "Don't give up your day job unless you want to find yourself in one of Abbey's dungeons."

Magilou gazed at Avernus, vexing. He shrugged, "I tried... some people laughed. Wait, where is Velvet?"

Magilou raised her shoulders, "I don't know. She left as soon as you mentioned, "wedding."

"That was a made-up joke, geez."

"Don't fret, idiot. You should never joke about marrying a girl. We're a little bit sensitive on this subject...." She chuckled, "You and your stupid moves. No wonder why you're still single."

Avernus started at her, stone-faced.
"Whatever, follow me. I need to meet my contact near the cathedral to buy some rare ingredients," Magilou said to her.

Avernus moaned and walked behind her until they reached the religious area of the port. Magilou left his side to search for her contact. Avernus glanced at the cathedral and decided to check inside to get a feel for its design. Before entering it, Bienfu instantly appeared beside him.

"Please, Mr. Avernus, can I ask you a favour?" he pleaded, flying around him.

"It depends, hat face."

"Would you teach me the formula to Malakhim's love potions? Please, I want to be famous with females like yourself," he asked nicely.

Avernus squinted his eyes, "What? I don't know. You must ask Tia about brewing these kinds of concoctions. Wait a minute. Where did you even hear about something like that?! It's a Hyland secret recipe!"

Bienfu bit his tongue and tried to dash away, but Avernus was quicker, grabbing his hat and holding him in mid-air. "Bieeeeen! Please! Forget about what I said!" he floundered and started to sob.

Avernus moved his body closer to his face, looking irritated, "You have a look of someone guilty. Tell. Me. Now. Hat for face, or I'll remove both the ribbon and that large hat off your head!"

"No! anything but those!" he shrieked in his corky voice, desperately struggling to escape his grasp.

Avernus slowly went for the ribbon, Bienfu, out of breath, started to talk, "Ms. Tia and Ms. Magilou made a malakhim love potion and gave it to you back in Titania! That's all I know! Please, let me go!"

Avernus eyes widened as if he was struck by lightning. He released the malak. Bienfu turned and noticed his face was cheerless now.

"So, all that attention... was because of Tia's potion." He sighed and blankly stared at the wall, "That love was unearned. I'd rather have Velvet yell at me than forcing fake emotions on her." He said to himself and raised his hand. "It was fun while it lasted." Avernus then snapped his fingers, cleansing his body and domain of any magical effects.

He looked at Bienfu, nodded, and headed towards the church.

Unbeknownst to him, Velvet was already there. Her emotions were conflicted. Her feelings for the past week were driving her towards something besides killing Artorius. Avernus's joke about their wedding had weakened Velvet's resolve. She dragged herself aimlessly around town. The shepherd needed another punishment for reminding her of something that she could never have. Moments later, Velvet found herself absent-mindedly confessing to the priest about the crimes she committed and about her goal of killing Midgand's saviour and Shepherd. Velvet was angry with Avernus. He shouldn't make her feel like a normal girl. As Magilou put it; Avernus indeed made her feel wanted, desirable, and in turn, she was feeling happy.

Velvet dictated to herself; "I don't deserve it. No one should steer me from the path of vengeance."

Suddenly, Velvet noticed Avernus walking into the church. His attire and looks made him stand out so much from the usual crowd. She scuttled behind one of the nearby pillars. Avernus walked around the interior, check out the architecture of the place. He brought his notepad and started a sketch.

"Come, sinner, repent your wicked deeds."

He heard an older man talking to him. Avernus raised his head, "Are you talking to me, Father?"

"Yes, my child. Although there is a peculiar air about you, your eyes seem to tell a tale of heavy burdens. This is a holy sanctuary, son. Confess, and the Empyreans will soothe your distress." The priest offered.

Avernus snapped his notebook shut, the sound of it echoing throughout the chamber. Avernus sounded like a storyteller and his voice, husky for everyone's ears. "Very well, old man. Listen to my confession then; I was once hailed as the saviour of my people, "The Chosen One," to bring peace and prosperity and end suffering and misery. I was entrusted with powers that no one ever had hoped to wield. But my will wasn't strong enough. I yielded to despair, to rage, to selfishness. I forsook the very people who put their trust in me to protect them. And thus, I failed in my resolve." He explained in a dignifying and robust voice.

"The road to hell is paved with despair, my son. You should not linger in your past." The priest counselled.

Velvet was intently listening to his confession. She already knew his story and didn't pay much attention to it before. This time, however, her guts compelled her to stay put.

"I wanted to use my power to save lives, but then it turned out, I was so good at taking them. My sole purpose was to defeat evil, but it wasn't my sole desire. So, I escaped my homeland. To find my true self, to gather enough conviction to go back. But it all went to hell again." He regretfully shook his head. "You can never outrun destiny."

"Yes, my son. I see your perseverance is firm. You've learned from your mistakes." The priest applauded him in a fatherly manner.

"... No, I can never be at peace, not until I rectify what has been lost. But I'm grateful that I've been given a second chance to make it right for someone who deserves a better life. Someone strong-willed, resilient, disciplined, and yet caring, kind, and craves for passion. If we entrusted the future to the likes of her, imagine, the world wouldn't need the likes of me, and it wouldn't need the likes of Artorius." He bitterly smiled, peering through the cathedral window. He compared his thoughts to the light that was shining the interior. Velvet slowly peeked out and walked from behind the pillar.

Avernus's conviction in believing Velvet, made her doubts shatter for that moment.

"I always struggled to know which path was right and which path was wrong. But I do not doubt myself anymore. The road is clear as day, and I have one last thing to take care of..."

"What is it, my son?" The priest asked. Velvet was slowly walking closer. Her eyes examined Avernus's posture from behind. He looked adamant, unyielding, like someone ready to take on the storm.

Avernus looked back at the priest; he nearly jolted at the sharpness of his glance.

"Until a few days ago, I hated myself for not having enough power to protect the ones I loved, but not anymore. Here and now, I swear; whatever happens, I'm not letting her down. I'm not allowing her to suffer anymore. This time, the needs of the few will be as the same as the needs of the many." Spirited and determined, he declared to the priest.

Suddenly, the older man's face contorted itself. The next moment, he was cringing at the sight of Velvet. Avernus turned around and saw her pacing towards him. She held unremitting eye contact with him, gazing deep, but she wasn't angry or irritated. Her eyes seemed to be anguished.

"Velvet? What are you doing here?" Avernus asked, but she didn't seem to hear.

"You again?! Gu—guards, anyone! You! My son! She is..." The priest's voice stuttered and nearly trembled.

Velvet's eyes quickly shifted back to her usual frowning. She grabbed his hand and pulled him away. The priest was baffled, "Is this the girl that you were confessing to me about?!"

Avernus raised his arm, "Yes! This is her! Isn't she great?"

The old priest frowned, "I don't think I can ever forgive either of you! If you stay with her, that will make you one of her associates! A partner in crime!" he shouted disapprovingly.

"Whatever you say, old man. But I like the sound of that, and I'm not regretting it one bit!" he yelled back as he disappeared behind the exit doors.

Velvet pulled him towards one of the small alleys nearby.

Avernus smirked, "You still have that strong pull. Ouch, my arm!" he joked.

Velvet stopped and turned to him, arms folded, frowning. There was a moment of silence. Their eyes dallied with one another.

"I've got something to say to you," Velvet said and lowered her head. Her eyes hid behind her tousled hair.

Avernus remained silent, waiting.

Velvet raised her head. Avernus could notice something had changed in her eyes. They were burning brightly. The emotions that had been dammed in for so long were now flooding out. Avermis could sense them again after all this time. Avernus instinctively let out a smile.

Velvet's lips moved slowly. Her voice, this time, was softer, kinder, and quieter.

"Avernus... sometimes I think you're too good to be with someone like me. I know you mean well, I wish...." Her tone changed. An intense battle raged inside her. Which side would win in the end? It all depended not on her but the Shepherd.

"You can't save me, Avernus. It's not worth trying." She continued. Her voice was loud, yet it kept shaking. Her lips quivered as if she were about to break down. Velvet's words clashed against her genuine desire.

Avernus put his hands on her shoulders, leaning his head slightly closer. Her body shivered from his touch. "I'm not abandoning you, ever." His impassioned voice resounded within her heart. The battle within Velvet took a new turn.

"Maybe I want you to abandon me! Did you consider that?!" Her feelings sprouted. But he didn't listen. Avernus just smiled as if was enjoying it. Velvet loathed his stubborn refusal. "If you stick with me, you'll be in danger. Sometimes, I even thought about knocking you unconscious, tying you, and sending you back to the Hyland in a scout vessel. Do you understand? I... I can't bear it if anything happens to you because of me!"

Avernus was uncompromising; he wouldn't have any of that. "I will be alright, Velvet. Besides, it's too late to turn back now. I have a family here; you, Phi, Tia, and maybe you can count others. So, don't ask me to desert those who're dear to me, Velvet."

Velvet suddenly felt his arms enveloped her. She basked in his intimate embrace. Her struggle ended. She closed her eyes, thinking that if she could feel the temperature, his hold would be warm.

Avernus held her for a minute. Her hair smelled fresh and had a scent of a rose extract.

The humming in his ears died down. He opened his eyes and discerned that her malevolence level had dropped to its lowest. At least for now, she is keeping it in check. The human side of her was the winner for that moment. Velvet's sense of dependency was answered. The wolf was now tamed.

This real closeness was his second victory.

Avernus heard a bird chirping. He looked up and saw a sylphjay coming towards them. The bird landed on his shoulder. Velvet went for the cylinder and opened it,

"Where the hell are you guys? We're tired of waiting. Come to Stoneburry village by yourselves. We'll meet you there."

"Well, they're gone without us." She said to him.

"Good, then we go to Aldina Plains. Just the two of us."

"Just the two of us?" she wondered.

"Yes, our very first date."

Velvet's cheeks flushed red, she tried to frown, but her eyebrows failed her again. Her body would not deny her feelings anymore. "D-Date?! W-why now? We've wasted enough time already!"

Avernus didn't pay attention. Instead, he touched her right hand, sliding his fingers in between hers.

"May I, ma'am?" he asked for permission to hold her hands. Velvet gasped in surprise. She finally fell to one of his traps. Avernus was triumphant. Velvet felt like a normal girl after so long.

Velvet finally closed it around his fingers. The duo came out of the alley. Velvet tried to hurry up Avernus. The people around them stared, and some even started whispering among themselves. "Oh, the angry girl got herself a man!"

Velvet returned them a death stare. Her angry expression quickly drove them away.

"I feel... uncomfortable," Velvet said anxiously.

"Do you want to let go?" Avernus asked. Velvet wasn't sure until she noticed some of the girls ogling Avernus.

Velvet instinctively grabbed his wrist with her bandaged arm and reinforced her hand-holding instinctively. The girls noticed her gestures now. "Wow, look at her! She's so possessive!" They prattled on.

Avernus felt her two hands. "I thought you weren't comfortable holding my hand...."

She began to clenched her fists, pressuring his fingers and wrist. The pain was his response. "Ouch! Forget it! Do as you please...."

They soon exited the gates.

"Can I confess something to you, Velvet?"

"Unless it is something creepy."

"No... I mean, maybe." He sighed, "The thing is, Tia and Magilou made a potion a few days ago and tricked me into drinking it. That potion is in the same category as 'love potions.'"

Velvet put her hand on her hips, her interest piqued. He continued, "My domain had been affected by it, which means that any 'unusual' feelings you experienced during these last few days were because of that potion." he explained.

She kept a straight face, "Like what?"

Avernus swallowed, "Like... fantasizing about... me?"

Velvet scoffed. "Is that it?"

Avernus nodded, "mostly... yes, and your urgency to give me a hickey."

Velvet felt brave for that moment. Time to get back the power Avernus took away from her. "Then let me tell you a truth; I've fantasized about you before. And don't tell me it's a crime to imagine you naked. You're not in a position to dictate what or how I do with my imagination. Besides, you deserved that hickey." She casually explained.

Avernus's face went pale, "W-wait...what?!"

Velvet was amused; the look on his face was priceless. She let go of his hand.

"But I have a plan to get back at Magilou and Tia." Velvet grinned maliciously. "Race you to the plains?" she suggested.

Avernus shook his head, still feeling shame, "Definitely, let's go..."

Her metallic boots pounded heavily across the ground, causing mud to splash around. Avernus immediately followed her. She quickened her pace. Her steps became leaps. The wind whipped her long hair.

Avernus was running so fast that he thought his legs were going to explode. But that wasn't the case with Velvet. She wasn't bound by human anatomy. Her hair rose and soared through the air like a bird. Avernus was panting hard, trying to appease his need for oxygen to keep up with Velvet.

But he didn't care. His efforts were not in vain. He looked at the dark clouds that loomed over the horizon. Avernus remembered: he had Velvet, Phi, Tia, Eleanor, Magilou, Rokurou, Eizen, and his pirate friends. He smiled as he remembered what his mother said to him a long time ago:

"We all eventually go through hard times in our lives. It's a part of being alive, and it's the reality we all have to deal with. We forget our value as a person because we are so blinded by these thoughts of loneliness, emptiness, and ego. Somewhere along the road, we become numbed with all the frustrations and the dissatisfactions.

But life itself isn't always about darkness and sadness. Life is also filled with colour and happiness. That makes it beautiful and worth living. Along this path of darkness, there's always light waiting to be seen by our daunted hearts. It may be hiding behind unexpected people, in a stranger, whom we just met at an unexpected place; a family who has always been there but whom you always ignored. Open your heart, and you will see how lucky you are to have them in your life.

Sometimes they are the light that shines your path in the dark times. Never lose hope, my son."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3K 278 48
The world of Desolation is one of peaceful uncertainty. Flourishing, the archipelago continent is ruled by the Holy Midgand Empire, a country of comp...
515 27 4
A Home, Lost. A King and Father, Slain. 3 Brothers, Murdered by the man he trusted and by the claw of a Monster. Betrayed by those she called Family...
788 496 24
"You're a wizard,Harry!" Whoops,wrong book. "You're a Light Healer, Aurelia!" Eh....Not as catchy but let's roll with it. One night Princess Aurelia...
146K 1.7K 63
Have you ever believed in different outcomes? Have you ever believed that revenge was not the only way to get what you want? In this tale, Koda Reav...