Loki's Apprentice: A Tale Ret...

By Ohsnapitsemily

As a simple farm-girl bargains for her father's life, she must learn how to prepare for the future that conti... More

Chapter 1: Pending Darkness and New Stories
Chapter 2: Beast
Chapter 3: Cursed
Chapter 4: From Riches To Rags
Chapter 5: Many Misfortunes
Chapter 6: A high Cost
Chapter 7: The King of Trickery
Chapter 8: The Sting of A Promise
Chapter 9: The Bitter Truth
Chapter 10: Consuming Fear
Chapter 11: The Downfall of All
Chapter 12: Illusions
Chapter 13: Worth
Chapter 14: Prison
Chapter 15: Nightmare
Chapter 16: Questions
Chapter 17: Praedita
Chapter 18: According To Plan
Chapter 19: Borrowed Treasure
Chapter 20: Mistakes
Chapter 21: Breathe
Chapter 22: Spells
Chapter 23: Trust
Chapter 24: A Price
Chapter 25: Despair
Chapter 26: Maze
Chapter 27: Something There
Chapter 28: Prince
Chapter 29: Fires of Hel
Chapter 30: Tether
Chapter 31: Fiery Beast
Chapter 32 : Freedom
Chapter 33: The Decision
Chapter 34: Lady Spring
Chapter 35: The Past
Chapter 36: Pawns
Chapter 36: Shade
Chapter 37: Snake
Chapter 38: Proof of Affection
Chapter 39: A Passing Storm
Chapter 40: Purpose
Chapter 41: Brave
Chapter 42: Howling Beast
Chapter 43: God of Lies
Chapter 44: A Bloody Bargain
Chapter 45: Siren's Song
Chapter 46: Hope and Despair
Chapter 47: Unavoidable Streams of Memory

Chapter 41: Sacred Bond

855 59 18
By Ohsnapitsemily

He offered his palm once again, his expression so welcoming and sincere.

"And I have no doubt in my choice." His tone exuded confidence, and a strong resolution shone in his eyes. 

Evelyn couldn't help but believe he meant many things by that sentence, but it was just as easy to decipher as the ancient writings he had given her to translate. A frustrating mystery almost hopeless to uncover, yet awe inspiring in its beautiful hidden meaning all the same.

She gently placed her hand in his, allowing herself to be slowly pulled in closer. She could feel the slight fanning of his breath as Loki gently guided her hand to rest upon his bicep. He placed his own hand upon her upper back, his cool fingers causing a delightful shiver to run through her as they searched and rested upon her shoulder blade.

Evelyn allowed a nervous sigh escape her to which Loki silently assured her with a slight squeeze of her palm.

"Trust me." She could almost hear him softly whisper in her mind.

Her eyes widened. She wasn't sure if she had recalled this moment from when they had formed their bond, or if she had actually heard his voice. But nevertheless, she gave into his request and  surrendered herself to his lead.

She hardly noticed herself mirror his movements, had it not been for the slight breeze that resulted from their steady movements.

With slight pressure upon her shoulder blade, pulling her in his direction, and the secure feeling of the tension between their palms, he swiftly guided her across the floor, spinning swiftly between the other dancing couples.

 Her thoughts suddenly turned to a midgardian book that she smuggled from Loki's library when taking a break from those ancient texts that he had assigned to her.

"You're smiling, although your eyes look distant. I suppose it is not my excellent dancing skills as the cause of such a beautiful display." Loki mused in wonder.

Evelyn quickly shook her head, her eyes widening in remorse for her neglect.

"Yours skills have only reminded me of a story I've recently read..." She trailed off, trying to remember the moment in the book distinctly, "It was an interesting conversation relating dancing and marriage."

She immediately blushed at voicing this comparison, and her cheeks only felt hotter as Loki smirked in response.

Why did I admit that aloud?

She practically lamented in her mind. 

"Oh?" Mirth dripped from his voice, "Is this from your trove of midgardian books that you often read instead of your ancient scrolls?"

Evelyn drew her brows together in wonder, her mouth moving and failing to form words in her surprise

"Oh, Don't give me such a surprised look." Loki said with smirk, "I know what's missing from my library."

It was Evelyn's turn to smile in amusement, which made Loki frown. He knew he had missed something, but wasn't certain what.

Evelyn hummed in a glee that was almost ominous.

"What?" He practically whined, almost impatient with being left in the dark.

Evelyn bit down on her lip, trying to stop herself from smiling, "So you've read them."

Loki's eyes widened as he realized his mistake.

"What? no I-" 

He tried to recompose himself with falsities, but Evelyn quickly interrupted, "If you noticed them gone, then you've definitely read them!"

Loki prepared himself to counter with an excuse, but Evelyn was already beaming with triumph. Loki rolled his eyes in defeat.

"Remind me of the comparison." He practically growled. 

"Well," She began with a smile, "the character argued that the two were the same. It is a free choice between the two partners, and once they are entered upon this mutual agreement, they belong exclusively to each other, their attention rightfully due to one another until the engagement dissolves with the final rest of the melody."

Loki raised a brow in thought, studying her thoughtfully. 

"Do you agree with this character's opinion?"

Loki quickly spun her, delaying her response. It was only when he drew her back into his embrace that she remembered how close they where. She wouldn't have to put much effort to meet his parted lips.

What a silly notion.

She thought, trying to recall what he had asked her moments before.

"He argued quite persuasively." Her voice sounded distracted.

He placed her hand behind him, so that her hand grasped his neck, and gently dipped her.

"So, It is you then who doubts your in partner?" He murmured, glancing down for a moment at her lips, "Could Death not come soon enough to end our union?" 

Her head was delightfully reeling as she was gracefully brought back upright.

"Not at all," She said hardly above a whisper, "it has assured me in my choice actually."

He swiftly guided her through the couples, spinning and turning gracefully with the music. Their dance now demanded more of them as the moved across the floor, putting a halt to their conversation. But their locked gaze seemed to communicate all that could, and could not be said.

Evelyn felt something akin to what she thought a bird would've felt with its first successful flight. The wind against her face, and her heart soaring. The colors of the world blended beautifully together as they spun together. 

The only thing in perfect focus was the man in front of her.

They moved, thought, and breathed as one. A connection so sacred that all could not help but watch.

The music was approaching its last bar, sweetly approaching its final rest. Their nuptial agreement, so sweet and so short, would soon come to an end. She felt her heart sink at the realization, and felt almost silly for the sadness rushing upon her.

 She would miss that sacred bond.

With the last note, he sent her into an unexpected twirl. She giggled in surprise and was happy to be brought back into his strong embrace. It gave her a feeling of safety, no slanderous tongue nor judging eye could ever harm here in this moment. It felt much like the feeling of returning home. 

Her thoughts turned to another book she had found in his library. A short poem that she had read aloud to him against their favorite tree.

Loki watched her with undivided attention. She remembered how the breeze made his black hair dance and brush against his face, and how he would try to tame it behind his ear in annoyance.

 She could almost hear his light laugh at the title, The Doubting Lover.

If we should die young, we may live our love to the fullest. But what if we are cursed with life's mundane longevity? What if time subjects me to its cruel laws, and I no longer possess the shinning charms of my youth?

It was thine soul, shinning through thine eyes that stole my heart. Drawing me nearer like the beautiful temptation of Icarus. No duration of time could dull that luster.

What if thine eyes shall fail, thus drawing tight the curtains to my gaze? No glimpse of my soul can thou then glimpse.

I will await joyfully for thy sweet words to paint the sky of my darkened world.

What if, In life's wretchedness, Time should steal this gift in its glutinous appetite? How could one love a mere shadow?

If thou be a shadow, then wrap me in thine heavenly darkness. With my poverty my heart shall find its fill in thine embrace.

It was moments before she realized that the murmurs that filled the dancing hall had completely  hushed, and the only thing audible was their slight panting, and the sound of her own heart pumping excitedly. 

She tore her gaze reluctantly from his, seeing that they were indeed the only souls there.

"What?" she panted. 

Her confusion softly echoed back to her throughout the halls.

"No more distractions," Loki said firmly, drawing back her attention to his determined gaze, "No more illusions. It is just you and me, Which is far greater than a wretched soul like me deserves."

His eyes searched hers, shinning with emotion as he wetted his lips nervously. Evelyns own mouth was dry and unable to form anything audible. She was determined to remain silent, though. The air seemed to buzz with a nervous air around him, and she had no intentions of dissuading him.

"There is no Al-Father here to approve." Loki said gently holding both of her hands in his. "But there is only one that deserves to approve my proposal."

Her heart no longer thumped loudly in her ears from the dancing, but from what she began to understand in his gaze. 

"Loki..." She found her mouth murmuring in confused excitement.

He swiftly fell to his knees, looking up at her in hopeful expectancy.

"Will you be mine, Evelyn?" It was soft, with almost an air of timidity.

Something that Loki himself did not recognize.

I will give a virtual sticker for anyone who guesses the book Evelyn was talking about with Marriage. That's what I'm currently reading for the first time and I am loving it! 

Thank you for reading, Thank you for your support!

What do you think will happen next? What are your hopes, and what are your fears?

The Doubting Lover is mine :) I'm still wanting to polish that up, but I wanted to get this update out to my lovely readers xoxox

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

449K 18.7K 66
{SET BEFORE THE EVENTS OF 'THOR'} - "Did you know," she said, sitting on the ground and turning to the prince, "that Midgard has an entire language d...
342 7 10
ℒℴ𝓀𝒾 𝓍 ℱℯ𝓂!ℛℯ𝒢𝒹ℯ𝓇 -As a young princess of Astoria, you're introduced to the two princes of Asgard. Although love blooms with one of the prince...
60.9K 2.1K 26
Light Elves are pure, innocent beings, right? Wrong. Or, at least, not in Y/n's case. Much like Loki, she was born to be the Princess of Alfheim, but...
12.2K 611 37
❦(LᴏᴋΙͺxAsΙ’α΄€Κ€α΄…Ιͺα΄€Ι΄!Rᴇᴀᴅᴇʀ)❦ (Y/n) was abandoned at a young age, being forced to live on the streets, and steal the most basic of resources to surv...